Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Show us your sub-high end watches - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Show us your sub-high end watches

What's Hot

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Offset said:
    Offset said:

I was waiting to see who the first would be to twig this was a fake, but no-one has risen to the challenge!

Mate bought it back from Thailand and gave it to me.  It's got a cheapo quartz movement that for some reason has stopped working - might just need a new battery but I genuinely can't be arsed to take it somewhere to find out.

I will therefore follow @Kittyfrisk 's lead - if someone wants it and can get it working, they're welcome to it gratis.  It's just sitting on a shelf. 
    Nah, that's the real thing mate. You can't give that a way! 

However, as memento to this thread, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. In my ownership it would act as a happy, ironic and felicitous reminder that I was actually the one who ended up with a fake  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    beed84 said:
    Offset said:
    Offset said:

I was waiting to see who the first would be to twig this was a fake, but no-one has risen to the challenge!

Mate bought it back from Thailand and gave it to me.  It's got a cheapo quartz movement that for some reason has stopped working - might just need a new battery but I genuinely can't be arsed to take it somewhere to find out.

I will therefore follow @Kittyfrisk 's lead - if someone wants it and can get it working, they're welcome to it gratis.  It's just sitting on a shelf. 

However, as memento to this thread, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. In my ownership it would act as a happy, ironic and felicitous reminder that I was actually the one who ended up with a fake  
    All yours!  PM me your details and I'll pack 'im off to you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Offset said:
    beed84 said:
    Offset said:
    Offset said:

All yours!  PM me your details and I'll pack 'im off to you.
    Superb, thank you. PM'd!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    edited September 2023
    ^ @beed84 just tell people it’s real. No one will know. Other than @Neil but he’s a smart arse  

edit I mean he knows how you spot a fake :) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Penn said:
    ^ @beed84 just tell people it’s real. No one will know. Other than @Neil but he’s a smart arse  

It's actually very convincing.  I saw someone wearing a real one and at a glance, only one thing gives the fake away.  Closer scrutiny is more revealing, but who does that to the watch on someone else's wrist?!
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    Offset said:
    Penn said:

It's actually very convincing.  I saw someone wearing a real one and at a glance, only one thing gives the fake away.  Closer scrutiny is more revealing, but who does that to the watch on someone else's wrist?!
    Same with the “Omega”, they have mechanical movements. I suspect they are Miyota ones. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited September 2023
    Penn said:
    Offset said:
    Penn said:

edit I mean he knows how you spot a fake  
    Same with the “Omega”, they have mechanical movements. I suspect they are Miyota ones
    Or even Seagull. Very good far eastern movements, just not Swiss, as if that means a great deal these days.
    Funny thing (to me) is that many of the so called 'high end' manufacturer's use off the shelf movements from ETA or Sellita, sometimes just as they are bought in, but often modified & rebranded into a new proprietary 'calibre'. People then pay exponentially increasing amounts for having this 'exclusivity'.
    Thankfully this would never happen in the world of guitar ownership...  :-D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    I'd quite like a Raketa Big Zero. Just have to know what you are buying so it's not a frankenwatch
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I am trying not to notice that Goldsmiths have the tasteful version of that Citizen Series 8 at 20% off. Because it's still quite a lot of money. But it's very pretty. 

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:
    I am trying not to notice that Goldsmiths have the tasteful version of that Citizen Series 8 at 20% off. Because it's still quite a lot of money. But it's very pretty. 

The face of that watch is just far far too busy for my tastes, a plain black or another solid colour face would make that watch look 100 times better in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sporky said:

The face of that watch is just far far too busy for my tastes, a plain black or another solid colour face would make that watch look 100 times better in my opinion.
    It's not something I would necessarily I would go out and buy, but it does have a certain something about it that I quite like. I can see why you might be tempted @Sporky ;
    I absolutely get that it's just too fussy/fizzy for some people. I really like the textured Grand Seiko dials too. Plain is also good. 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    beed84 said:
    Sporky said:

It's not something I would necessarily I would go out and buy, but it does have a certain something about it that I quite like. I can see why you might be tempted @Sporky ;;

The kind of styling I like tends to be associated with the watches so cheap, that watch thieves instead of mugging you for your watch, actually feel sorry for you when they see it, and therefore instead mugging you, they slip either money or a ''better'' watch into your pocket instead.  I love this sort of simply styling in watches, if it was more durable and the orange on the face was grey and the strap was black, I'd have one and happily wear it in a heartbeat despite it being battery and not automatic.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    I like watches that I set once, and that's it, so for analogue watches, that means automatics with no day and date function - mainly due to February even having to reset the watch once a year is too much hassle for me, I don't like having to wind up watches.  A clean simple plain watch for the lazy, is my ideal watch.  I actually have a draw full of expensive watches, rolexs - I have quite a few, that I've not only never worn, but will also never wear, all the good watches my parents bought me for milestones and achievements, not only have I never warn, I actually told them at the time that they weren't for me and I'd never wear them, and they still bought them for me, as a good watch is the traditional mile stone and achievement gift, and my father, is really into watches, collects them and everything - he's got a really fancy wall mounted display safe for watches that keeps them all powered so the automatics don't have to be worn all the time to keep them ''charged''.
    Great thread this btw - even though I'm late to it. 

This would do your job Grogg..

I've always had a thing for automatics, even got a couple of the 'hybrid' / self-charging quartz jobs. Picked this one up locally in the classifieds for about 40 euro a few years back - it's the one I take travelling as it's waterproof, looks reasonable cool (I think) and wouldn't be the end of the world if it got lost or swiped at that price. (I also found another silver gray-faced one - but had to fork out 45 euro for it..:(

In terms of low-budget ones, also bought this - new, but before our man Vlad lost the plot:

Had this little Bellmatic as well until I sold it last year:

Hard to see from the pics, but it was a really solid, well made little thing, and the alarm was a nice touch. I think Seiko are a bit like the Honda of the watch-making world - a long history of good quality and innovation, and dirt cheap s/h really for what they offer.

The Bellmatic worked well - but there were a couple of little niggly things that put me off it like the winder crown unscrewing off the shaft occasionally when you wound it anti-clockwise to set the inner alarm bezel, and some light damage to one part of that bezel. I suspect an amateur repairer had been in at it before, and that put me off.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    @Brio ;
    Really like the clean faces on Mondaine watches. This website & video got my interest in their Stop2Go model: 
    https://thetruthaboutwatches.com/2021/08/mondaine-evo2-automatic/

https://youtu.be/_MIZF-lANp4?feature=shared
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    AK99 said:
    In terms of low-budget ones, also bought this - new, but before our man Vlad lost the plot:

Had this little Bellmatic as well until I sold it last year:

Hard to see from the pics, but it was a really solid, well made little thing, and the alarm was a nice touch. I think Seiko are a bit like the Honda of the watch-making world - a long history of good quality and innovation, and dirt cheap s/h really for what they offer.

The Bellmatic worked well - but there were a couple of little niggly things that put me off it like the winder crown unscrewing off the shaft occasionally when you wound it anti-clockwise to set the inner alarm bezel, and some light damage to one part of that bezel. I suspect an amateur repairer had been in at it before, and that put me off.
    Very cool Vostok Amphibian. Channelling your inner Steve Zissou? ;)
    edited October 2023
    Ha - as you are probably aware they do (or certainly did) a Zissou model*. You know your watches KF

At the time I bought that one the web-site had a configurator where you could order any of the half distinct dozen-case shapes with countless variations of faces, and straps to pretty much ensure you got one quite unlike anybody else's. I mean cmon - who in the name of Gawd else would order a beige Nato (...) strapped diver's watch with a few 'genuine' Russian gold leaf index markers thrown in at odd places round the dial ?  If it weren't for the Putain's special military operation, I'd probably have bought another one or two by this stage. 

*edit - Re the 'Zissou' variant - apparently they still do:
    https://www.vostok-watches24.com/catalog/e-amphibia/1098/
    https://www.vostok-watches24.com/catalog/modification-amphibia-420/2115/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AK99 said:
    I like watches that I set once, and that's it, so for analogue watches, that means automatics with no day and date function - mainly due to February even having to reset the watch once a year is too much hassle for me, I don't like having to wind up watches.  A clean simple plain watch for the lazy, is my ideal watch.  I actually have a draw full of expensive watches, rolexs - I have quite a few, that I've not only never worn, but will also never wear, all the good watches my parents bought me for milestones and achievements, not only have I never warn, I actually told them at the time that they weren't for me and I'd never wear them, and they still bought them for me, as a good watch is the traditional mile stone and achievement gift, and my father, is really into watches, collects them and everything - he's got a really fancy wall mounted display safe for watches that keeps them all powered so the automatics don't have to be worn all the time to keep them ''charged''.
    Great thread this btw - even though I'm late to it. 

This would do your job Grogg..

I've always had a thing for automatics, even got a couple of the 'hybrid' / self-charging quartz jobs. Picked this one up locally in the classifieds for about 40 euro a few years back - it's the one I take travelling as it's waterproof, looks reasonable cool (I think) and wouldn't be the end of the world if it got lost or swiped at that price. (I also found another silver gray-faced one - but had to fork out 45 euro for it..:(

If the Seiko didn't have the date function, I'm assuming it won't automatically adjust for months of different lengths, It would be something I wear.  Once I put a watch on, I want that to be it, I don't want to have to take it off to adjust every few months, and if I do take if off, I don't want to have to re adjust the time and date.
    duotone said:
    @Brio ;
    Really like the clean faces on Mondaine watches. This website & video got my interest in their Stop2Go model: 
    https://thetruthaboutwatches.com/2021/08/mondaine-evo2-automatic/

https://youtu.be/_MIZF-lANp4?feature=shared

I really really like that watch face, so much so, that I actually had a good look at their watches.  I really really like their Original Automatic 41, that's something I would wear, it's perfect for somebody like me, set the time once, and that's it, as long as I don't take it off for more than a day, I should never need to touch the crown unless I cross time zones.
    Yeah it's not clever enough to adjust the date when it wakes up at all in fact. Must confess as I struggle to read the date on most watches without having to find a pair of reading glasses somewhere I never bother setting the date properly on any of them now :)

Only thing I do make sure is if I have to reset the time on a watch with a date, even if the date's wrong, I can't have the time set 12 hours out - seeing the date trying to change at noon would just be a step too far..
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Can we stop wasting time (pun intended) and have a full on 'Show us your Valuable Watch ' thread
    All contributors must provide home address for authentication purposes 
    Oh , and you must declare whether or not you have a Bully XL
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @CavemanGrogg I know some Casios have auto time setting, even when you change time zones. I briefly had some Edifice model which did this but I can't remember which model. Maybe something like this would be suitable?

Dominic said:
    Can we stop wasting time (pun intended) and have a full on 'Show us your Valuable Watch ' thread
    All contributors must provide home address for authentication purposes 
    Oh , and you must declare whether or not you have a Bully XL
    Someone else can start that one. I don't think I could bear someone being gifted a Rolex or equivalent ;)
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005

I usually wear a watch and I like having one one either for practical reasons or the looks of it.

Over the years have just bought something I liked when I saw it. Price range over a grand to 50 quid.

I like black and silver typically on watches. Can't stand gold on me and I'm not keen on too big and chunky. My No. 1  watch is the most expensive. An Omega Speedmaster - so not included here.

for sub high end, I have a Hamilton Khaki Pioneer - a replica of an older model. Got that used. Another is a graceful looking Certina from the mid '60s, one is a more recent Swiss model by Dreyfuss & Co. I bought both of these used. I also like wearing a tough watch for outdoor holidays, camping, sport, doing DIY, guitar building, messing about. Also the dive watch is a useful tough alternative to a field watch. Plus a couple of cheapies I've picked up when I've seen them.

Pilot Pioneer Chrono Quartz
    Certina Bristol 190jpg
    Dreyfuss  Co DGS00001-02 Mens 1946 Leather Strap Watch Black -SilverJPG
    MWC G10 300m WR30ATM Automaticjpg
    Oris replicajpg Beuchat Genesis WR50M 5ATMJPG Tandorio black NH35A Mechanical automaticjpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The Dreyfuss  is jolly handsome.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Offset said:
    thebreeze said:
    I have a 40mm Hamilton Khaki Field that I still really enjoy despite having others that cost far more. 

It rarely gets any chat on watch forums but it has the perfect proportions compared to the 38 & 42mm versions.

Where's the packet of Rothman's?
    Brilliant!
    I assume this is some kind of old people's joke? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Anyway.. Im getting a bit lusty for the Hamilton Murph 38 of late. Anyone tried one?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Offset said:
    thebreeze said:
    I have a 40mm Hamilton Khaki Field that I still really enjoy despite having others that cost far more. 

It rarely gets any chat on watch forums but it has the perfect proportions compared to the 38 & 42mm versions.

Where's the packet of Rothman's?
    Brilliant!
    I assume this is some kind of old people's joke? 
    S5006566JPG and
  • beed84 said:
    @CavemanGrogg I know some Casios have auto time setting, even when you change time zones. I briefly had some Edifice model which did this but I can't remember which model. Maybe something like this would be suitable?

The G-Shock I'm wearing is a ''semi-smart'' watch, it is super simple to setup so that you never need to adjust the date or time on it once - in fact you only need to touch one button on it to set it up and make every adjustment you can possibly want to do to it, and that's it, as long as it's battery is charged you never need to adjust anything again.  The face on it is a lot busier than I'd like it to be, though it is nowhere near as obvious in person than in photos - for example the digital bits are next to invisible unless you use the light which I've turned off on mine.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    My main 2 Seikos (I have others):

The PADI is a solar and very reliable, looks great on most navy or stripy blue Nato straps - I bought this when I completed my first hundred scuba dives!

The Turtle is one that I'd always wanted and it has a lovely sweep second hand. I had a craving for a Captain Willard but couldn't justify the price tag but the turtle on black or green Nato (especially if a couple of mils too thin) and it's as good as a Willard for me.

The good thing about these two are they both have drilled lugs so strap changes are a breeze - you can see on the turtle that's not the original strap; this version doesn't come with a bracelet.

(I'm selling a seiko sea urchin Japanese too if anyone's interested)

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!