Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Show us your sub-high end watches - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Show us your sub-high end watches

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Neil said:
    OK 
    My grandad's 1950's Timex.
    I loved this when I was a kid & still do, but when I eventually inherited it, it was long dead. Being a cheap watch, they are far harder to get parts for to repair than more expensive watches.

So when he died, I bought another watch to remember him by  3

That's the trouble with Timex. Bent metal movements that weren't built to be repairable. 

Nice Geneve BTW.

Time was when you could buy them for £50/60 each which was pretty much when I got all mine. Silly money now. 

I have a few.

How very true & apt.  All my watches have been bargains or I wouldn't have them  ;)
    Nice looking trio. Again, elegant & timeless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    CHRISB50 said:
    CavemanGrogg said:  I currently wear a G-Shock rated to 200 meters, the deepest I've ever taken it is in the bath tub. 
    You bath with your watch on? 

Yes, how else am I meant to make sure Casio aren't lying to me about it being waterproof?  Besides I wear my watches on the lose side - I can't slip them on and off without undoing the buckle or clasp but lose enough to fit a finger or two between the watch and my wrist and spin it around my wrist.
    You do you fella! :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    edited September 2023
    Neil said:
    OK 
    My grandad's 1950's Timex.
    I loved this when I was a kid & still do, but when I eventually inherited it, it was long dead. Being a cheap watch, they are far harder to get parts for to repair than more expensive watches.

So when he died, I bought another watch to remember him by  3

That's the trouble with Timex. Bent metal movements that weren't built to be repairable. 

Nice Geneve BTW.

Time was when you could buy them for £50/60 each which was pretty much when I got all mine. Silly money now. 

I have a few.

That's a nice story @Kittyfrisk . I think you got a suitable alternative to remember him by. In terms of Omega Genéves, I did have a navy dial wind up one I found in a charity shop. I vowed to never to sell it as I always wanted an Omega. Similarly I found a Hamilton Pan-Europ automatic in a charity shop and told myself not to sell that either. Alas, money was tight due to my contracted hours at the time so I sold them both and made a handsome profit, though in an ideal world I would rather have kept the watches.

I suppose this is my budget friendly attempt to get back what I lost. I almost put a despot on a 9ct Genéve local to me. The condition was very good for its age but it had the 1012 movement which is reportedly not that great. Ideally I would like a sliver dial like @Neil 's. They're really classy and understated. That said I think there's an abundance of inspiration in this thread to motivate me to hunt down what I can afford. Maybe I'll get an Omega of some description in time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I guess this counts too.
    Bought new in 1983, from a 'bucket' shop that sold items on behalf of a group of expensive jewellers at reduced prices so their premium prices could be maintained... B)
    It was £70 which was a ton of money to me at the time, but it has been a great companion over the decades.
    Now had it so long that the Tritium lume half life has passed :-D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Neil said:

The Citizen is a couple of weeks old. Mrs G got an inheritance and wanted to buy something nice.
    Chose it because it looked and felt better on the wrist than the Tissot that was double the price.

The Pulsar was bought from Argos about 25 years ago. Worn every day and is pretty damn accurate.

Both automatic.

Just as an aside, the Pulsar is a kinetic which is actually a rotor driven quartz.
    You learn something every day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I bought this 20 years ago.  Oris Miles (Davis).  Adore it.

...and I still have my old Oris Big Crown:

As you can see, I'm a bit of an Oris fan.  I have a trusty old Citizen for day-to-day stuff.

Oris 1.jpg 640.1K
    Oris 2.jpg 497K
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^ The Miles Davis reminds me of an old Poljot 'Gothic' cheapie that I picked up about 20 years ago.
    I can't resist really cheap random watches... or guitars  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^^ I like that.

• DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Poljot tried to go very upmarket unsuccesfully but they do have some lovely designs 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Best VFM is a secondhand 1990s Ebel 1911 or Discovery .....maybe a Voyager
    The value really fell and you could find a tatty one for £650 -£700 ......chances are they will have the same Zenith movement Rolex were using at the time ........and they are a timelessly lovely design
    Dominic said:
    Poljot tried to go very upmarket unsuccesfully but they do have some lovely designs 
    I think they do some very funky uniquely OTT Russian watches (if it is still OK to like them?). https://www.poljot-international.com/shop-2?lang=en
    But the really cool vintage fleiger style watches are now Strela, but the history is there.
    https://strela-watch.de
    Offset said:
    ^^ I like that.

@Offset  If you would like the Poljot Gothic , I'd be happy to send it to you?
    Similarly @Neil  if you would like the Seiko Skyliner (typo with the 'r' earlier), you can have it.
    I have far too many watches that I don't wear & I have no-one to leave them to, so I'd far rather they went to someone that would appreciate them.
    PM me if you have any interest, no catches 

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Offset said:
    ^^ I like that.

Similarly @Neil  if you would like the Seiko Skyliner (typo with the 'r' earlier), you can have it.
    I have far too many watches that I don't wear & I have no-one to leave them to, so I'd far rather they went to someone that would appreciate them.

This thread keeps getting better. What an amazing gesture!  :)
  • This thread has peaked my interest in sub £1k watches, even to the point where I've gone beyond looking at watches online and have actually even gone in to a few physical watch shops.
    This thread has peaked my interest in sub £1k watches, even to the point where I've gone beyond looking at watches online and have actually even gone in to a few physical watch shops.
    Great stuff, I'm glad someone else has been inspired too. I would also suggest going into local antique shops. Surprisingly a bargain can be had there too, albeit with some rummaging and a bit of good luck!
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    beed84 said:
    This thread has peaked my interest in sub £1k watches, even to the point where I've gone beyond looking at watches online and have actually even gone in to a few physical watch shops.
    Great stuff, I'm glad someone else has been inspired too. I would also suggest going into local antique shops. Surprisingly a bargain can be had there too, albeit with some rummaging and a bit of good luck!

I like watches that I set once, and that's it, so for analogue watches, that means automatics with no day and date function - mainly due to February even having to reset the watch once a year is too much hassle for me, I don't like having to wind up watches.  A clean simple plain watch for the lazy, is my ideal watch.  I actually have a draw full of expensive watches, rolexs - I have quite a few, that I've not only never worn, but will also never wear, all the good watches my parents bought me for milestones and achievements, not only have I never warn, I actually told them at the time that they weren't for me and I'd never wear them, and they still bought them for me, as a good watch is the traditional mile stone and achievement gift, and my father, is really into watches, collects them and everything - he's got a really fancy wall mounted display safe for watches that keeps them all powered so the automatics don't have to be worn all the time to keep them ''charged''.
    beed84 said:

I like watches that I set once, and that's it, so for analogue watches, that means automatics with no day and date function - mainly due to February even having to reset the watch once a year is too much hassle for me, I don't like having to wind up watches.  A clean simple plain watch for the lazy, is my ideal watch.
    Sounds like you might be better off with a Citizen or Seiko perpetual calendar, with Eco Drive type charging.
    https://www.thewatchblog.co.uk/best-perpetual-calendar-watches/?expand_article=1

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I quite like these - just over a grand list, but I've seen them for a couple of hundred less. The dial is a metal we over mother-of-pearl, but it somehow manages to be nearly tasteful. There's a silver steel version with silver hands for a more subtle look.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    edited September 2023

I tried to buy a zenith quite recently but it failed on ebay authentication.

My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Reverend said:
    To parody the Pistonheads watch section, "bit pricey for a quartz" 

;) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Offset said:
    ^^ I like that.

Well I've PM'd you @Kittyfrisk :-)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    Offset said:
    ^^ I like that.

I'd love the Skyliner @Kittyfrisk!

Pm sent. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Lovely gesture @Kittyfrisk ;

Another long term happy CWC owner here ,  this is my most current one

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    This was about £200. I might have had it a while though. 

IMG_7930.jpeg 598.9K
    ^  Nice.  As mentioned earlier, DeVille's are a really nice watch that will never go out of style.
    ^  Nice.  As mentioned earlier, DeVille's are a really nice watch that will never go out of style.
    Yeah it’s a nice old watch. It was a 21st birthday present from my old man. They were pretty good value for money at the time. Prices now are interesting. 
    The trick is to have a box of various old watches you don’t wear. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I really like the idea of getting some older classic watches but due to having 8.25” wrists anything less than about 40mm diameter looks a bit lost on me. I have an original Tag Heuer F1 that I bought in about 1991 or so but at 35mm it looks ridiculous on me. Even the 38mm F1 Chrono I had looked a bit too small. 
    edited September 2023
    the_jaffa said:
    I really like the idea of getting some older classic watches but due to having 8.25” wrists anything less than about 40mm diameter looks a bit lost on me. I have an original Tag Heuer F1 that I bought in about 1991 or so but at 35mm it looks ridiculous on me. Even the 38mm F1 Chrono I had looked a bit too small. 
    It’s a pain in the arse sometimes. Servicing costs so much it ends up costing more than the watches are worth. Some of mine have stopped running well or at all. Just left in the box now. Most of them were really cheap of given to me.