Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Show us your sub-high end watches - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Show us your sub-high end watches

What's Hot
So I've started to collect watches. However, as I can't afford the latest Rolex, Patek Phillipe or IWC, I'm working within my means and choosing way more affordable options. To start me off here are two modest examples I've acquired in recent months. Both £26 and £35 respectively.

I've never heard of Manis before. But I like the name, the simple design and the fact it's really clean for its age. I'm no expert but the fairly ubiquitous Felsa 1560 automatic movement loses a minute or two each day, which isn't great. However, for the price of a week's worth of high street coffee, I don't think I can complain. I think the blue aftermarket strap contrasts with the gold nicely.

The Avia I recently got from Oxfam online. A few years ago I would have turned my nose up at quartz movement. But the retro design and the red second hand against a black dial ... I actually think it's quite stylish. I don't think £35 was too bad a price to pay.

For inspiration, what watches (or recommendations) do you have that don't break the bank? Vintage or modern. Maximum cost £500 (right now that's the most I'd be willing to spend when I've saved enough to "treat" myself).
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• That Avia is lovely, well done!
    I'm a fan of Seiko 5 watches.
    Now pour a beverage and read this https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=187&t=1966393
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Sub high end?  Well you did ask.

Casio Classic Digital LCD Watch with Stopwatch Timer Alarm Water  Resistant etc F-91W-1YER  7dayshop
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Watching (har har)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I like field watches the most. Timex expedition models look the part for a bargain price (soem are automatic with a sapphire crystal and cost more.

Another one I like is the Hamilton Field. 

I don't have either! Sadly. But I do have a seiko 5 field watch, which is pretty nice but doesn't have a sapphire crystal so scratches easily (I don't exactly go easy!). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have a 40mm Hamilton Khaki Field that I still really enjoy despite having others that cost far more. 

It rarely gets any chat on watch forums but it has the perfect proportions compared to the 38 & 42mm versions.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited September 2023
    Don't have any pics but I recently got an old casio edifice 2470 illuminator from a charity shop.

Like this... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186075398092?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bfjrdszotdm&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=_iD_8C0STP2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Didn't realise they were worth so much. I only paid like a tenner or something. Just liked the look. 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    Casio G-Shock GST-B400BB-1AER, the watch I wear all the time, cheap, cheerful, piece of piss to setup.  Not to mention it doesn't look like a rugged utility watch, it can easily be worn as a dress watch, and is surprisingly discrete and a lot smaller on the wrist than one would expect from a G-Shock, or looking at photos of the watch would have you believe, and slim, not as slim as the CST-B500, it's less than 1mm thicker - I have the GST-500 as well for when my GST-400 needs its battery replaced if ever.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited September 2023
    Some Chinese special, I think it was like £70

Steinhart Ocean 1, this was under £300.

Seiko 5, About 100

My favourite, from a kickstarter is this, I think it was about £200.  It gets me the IWC vibe at like 1/20th of the cost.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    As well as photos of your watches, can you also post your addresses and when you're next off on holiday please?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Adey said:
    As well as photos of your watches, can you also post your addresses and when you're next off on holiday please?

Sure, here you go, just knock and let my man servants know Grogg said it's fine to come round:

5 Love Ln, Wakefield WF2 9AG

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited September 2023
    I love these Rip Curl ATS tide watches. I have five of them, all different colours but same layout. They have time, date, moon, tide height AND tidal range, which is really cool, plus they’re waterproof. I love tide watches. 

Edit: here’s another - probably the nicest one I’ve got. 

Aaand this one - it’s ok but rubber strap. 

Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • steersteer Frets: 1043
    This Citizen is my main watch. I love it. Solar powered.

Citizen CA0427-08E Review

I also have a really cool Rolex that I got off ebay for £25. I'm afraid to wear it in case I am mugged. I am not 100% sure that it is genuine. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 967
    edited September 2023
    CWC G10, this one is from the 1990s, cost £80. They've gone up a bit now though.

https://i.imgur.com/rUQnI5f.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    edited September 2023
    Mines a Seiko SKX009 K 'Pepsi' model.
    I just have always liked the red blue dial plus the offset crown with the proper screw down cap.
    Very comfortable to wear.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    My *cough* IWC Pilot. £180 from Turkey. Actually fools a few people and keeps really good time. My other semi decent watch is a Hamilton Khaki. 

• DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Can I post my Tiara collection here ?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    This is my in-budget watch. Citizen Promaster Tough, on a Watch Gecko strap.

I don't have one of these, but I am tempted. The most handsome G-Shock I've ever seen. 

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I've never understood the fascination for watches.
    Ditto for jewellery.
    Admittedly, watches are more useful than bling.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    edited September 2023
    The legendary Seiko SKX007 on an Uncle Seiko waffle pattern rubber strap (one of the few straps that come in a shorter length - I have the wrists of a 12-year old girl). I wear this when cycling, on holiday, etc.

https://i.imgur.com/cBI71sF.jpg

My “nice” watch is a Seiko SPB143, which is a bit more refined and has a much better movement. The most expensive watch I’ve owned (and over the OP’s limit, oops), but still a small fraction of Rolex, Omega, Tudor etc.

https://i.imgur.com/y6vPs8K.jpg
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Sassafras said:
    I've never understood the fascination for watches.
    Ditto for jewellery.
    Admittedly, watches are more useful than bling.
    For the mechanical ones, I think it's astounding that you can tell the time jolly accurately with a load of springs and levers and gears. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    I too like to have a few watches and not bothered at all by the status crap.

The Hamilton is what I wear to work, the G-Shock is my indestructible leisure watch, and the Yema Kavinski is just fun.

https://i.imgur.com/Foywq9y.jpg

• My gateway drug to automatic mechanical watches was a Vostok Amphibia. I had a couple of them from an ebay seller in Russia, they cost about £36 about ten years ago.

https://i.imgur.com/xy0NYCK.jpg
  • Sporky said: 

I don't have one of these, but I am tempted. The most handsome G-Shock I've ever seen. 

My watch is the Bluetooth version of this. It's brilliant- slim, light, great looking, solar powered and keeps perfect time. 

My other watch is a pink F-91W. Cheap and cheerful. 
  • My 2nd hand Hamilton Kharki automatic with a Victorinox para cord strap both scored off eBay. Oh and the band is my Wale see here https://tracking.clubocean.org/animal/malou

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Seiko, Hamilton and Casio G-Shock are definitely on the list, so I'll look further into some of the ones listed here  – @Sporky I agree, that G-Shock is very tidy. But I like the unusual too. @RaymondLin where can I get those Meshable watches? I can't find them for sale anywhere.

Some lovely watches chaps, thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing more 
    :) 
  • I've always fancied and thought about buying myself a eone Bradley watch since I fist saw one, specifically one of these models:

Bradley Mesh Black 40mm

Bradley Edge Black

Bradley Apex Leather Black

They're simple,clean, uncluttered, discrete, cheap, and don't attract attention, not to mention you can check the time on them very discretely without anybody noticing.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    I've always fancied and thought about buying myself a eone Bradley watch since I fist saw one, specifically one of these models:

Bradley Mesh Black 40mm

Bradley Edge Black

They're simple,clean, uncluttered, discrete, cheap, and don't attract attention, not to mention you can check the time on them very discretely without anybody noticing.

Not to mention that it has zero lume & you can't tell the time at a glance without doing mental gymnastics and/or using two hands while having braille reading skills... ;) 
    As for 'The Bradley will easily withstand brief contact with water, like getting caught in the rain or washing hands. It is not intended for submersion in water or high intensity sports.'
    It is barely splash proof at best, sod that for a game of soldiers.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    That Avia is lovely, well done!
    I'm a fan of Seiko 5 watches.
    Now pour a beverage and read this https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=187&t=1966393
    Thank you. I'm wearing it now and really chuffed with it. And thanks for the 500 page thread. That should get me through a box of Yorkshire Tea! 

Some are out of my price range, but I kinda want all of these:

https://www.defakto-watches.com/kollektion/
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    I've always fancied and thought about buying myself a eone Bradley watch since I fist saw one, specifically one of these models:

Bradley Mesh Black 40mm

Bradley Edge Black

Not to mention that it has zero lume & you can't tell the time at a glance without doing mental gymnastics and/or using two hands while having braille reading skills...  
    As for 'The Bradley will easily withstand brief contact with water, like getting caught in the rain or washing hands. It is not intended for submersion in water or high intensity sports.'
    It is barely splash proof at best, sod that for a game of soldiers.

Do you honestly think a metal detecting, beach comber who maybe dares to go into the sea to about ankle deep, tea jenny needs a watch capable of surviving a direct nuclear strike?  I currently wear a G-Shock rated to 200 meters, the deepest I've ever taken it is in the bath tub.  And the lack of lume is not an issue for me, I actually consider it to be a bonus as it doesn't glow in the dark, and Braille is not an issue for me, I learnt how to read Braille, American Sign Language, as well as British Sign Language at school - they where counted as languages just like French, German or Mandarin, so as a severely dyslexic person, it was a very easy way for me to to get IGCSEs and A levels in a second language, not to mention you don't need to feel the face to tell the time, you can tell the time by looking at it too, though that is not as discrete as simply sliding a finger over the watch face.   And more importantly, in my opinion, they look understated cool and classy, so it can be worn for every occasion from casual to formal.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ^ Fair enough, we're all differently abled.
    Although how you can view separate ball bearing hour minute markers in two separate races without the mental gymnastics I mentioned, I don't know  :#  I would stick to your excellent functional Casio's.