Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Show us your sub-high end watches - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Show us your sub-high end watches

What's Hot

Comments

• Hurling_FruitmigHurling_Fruitmig Frets: 610
    edited September 2023
    Penn said:
    The trick is to have a box of various old watches you don’t wear. 
    I must start a box of my own. I love the orange Oris, it's a sort of understated statement.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    edited September 2023
    Penn said:
    I must start a box of my own. I love the orange Oris, it's a sort of understated statement.
    It’s so understated it doesn’t work. The funny thing about that watch is it probably came from India. There was a trade in “restoring” watches there. Basically they painted the dials so they looked ok and posted them out to Western Europe.  

The worst bit is I’ve only posted about a quarter of the watches I have. 

Edit: the orange Oris runs. Just not very well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Penn said:
    Penn said:
    It’s so understated it doesn’t work. The funny thing about that watch is it probably came from India. There was a trade in “restoring” watches there. Basically they painted the dials so they looked ok and posted them out to Western Europe.  

I dread to see what else you have and actually wear. That's a lovely collection of watches you've posted!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    beed84 said:
    Penn said:
    Penn said:

I dread to see what else you have and actually wear. That's a lovely collection of watches you've posted!
    Honestly wear a 4/5 year old Apple Watch mostly. Not worried if it’s gets lost and keeps perfect time. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Penn said:
    beed84 said:
    Penn said:
    Penn said:

Honestly wear a 4/5 year old Apple Watch mostly. Not worried if it’s gets lost and keeps perfect time. 
    Well blow me sideways, that's horological sacrilege Though they are pretty nifty devices all round do keep perfect time as you say   If you're willing to part ways with any of the mechanical ones you have, please do let me know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    beed84 said:
    Penn said:
    beed84 said:
    Penn said:
    Penn said:

Well blow me sideways, that's horological sacrilege Though they are pretty nifty devices all round do keep perfect time as you say   If you're willing to part ways with any of the mechanical ones you have, please do let me know.
    What and not leave a pile of crap for the Mrs to sort when I die?

Those were in my desk drawer to. 

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Penn when you put it like that, then I wouldn't be able to live with myself. Seriously, I wish I could find a couple of Omega's knocking about in my desk draw!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have a 40mm Hamilton Khaki Field that I still really enjoy despite having others that cost far more. 

It rarely gets any chat on watch forums but it has the perfect proportions compared to the 38 & 42mm versions.

Where's the packet of Rothman's?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @Penn - that second Seamaster is absolutely gorgeous.  You should take a leaf out of @Kittyfrisk's book and send it to me :-) 
    beed84 said:
    @Penn when you put it like that, then I wouldn't be able to live with myself. Seriously, I wish I could find a couple of Omega's knocking about in my desk draw!
    @Penn - that second Seamaster is absolutely gorgeous.  You should take a leaf out of @Kittyfrisk's book and send it to me :-) 
    The 007? Father-in-law gave me that. Hate to tell you this but it’s a) huge b) not entirely what you think it is. You think the world of vintage fenders is bad  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^ Is it me, or is that 007 the first one made?
    beed84 said:
    ^ Is it me, or is that 007 the first one made?
    I’ll sell you it for half the cheapest price you can find on the internet. ;)
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 187
    edited September 2023
    Some fab watches on this thread. Kittyfrisk's very old Timex is great.
    There's something about watches - graphic design and product design meet engineering in a tiny object.

Here's some Russian watches I bought when working in SE Asia. Russian sailors would sell them to little shops for beer money. 
    My kids got me a Fitbit so I wear that now. 
    I must see if these still work.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    Penn said:
    beed84 said:
    Penn said:
    beed84 said:
    Penn said:
    Penn said:

You obviously know that both the "Omegas" are fakes.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    the_jaffa said:
    I really like the idea of getting some older classic watches but due to having 8.25” wrists anything less than about 40mm diameter looks a bit lost on me. I have an original Tag Heuer F1 that I bought in about 1991 or so but at 35mm it looks ridiculous on me. Even the 38mm F1 Chrono I had looked a bit too small. 
    Sounds like you might need a 55mm (made from frying pans with movements fitted...).
    https://b-uhr.com/en/collection/big-pilot-55.html
    ^ What really? Do you think this serial number 0001 strat I have is suspect to? :) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Penn said:
    ^ What really? Do you think this serial number 0001 strat I have is suspect to? :) 
    Oh you are a card!  ;)

Great stuff!
    edited September 2023
    Some fab watches on this thread. Kittyfrisk's very old Timex is great.
    There's something about watches - graphic design and product design meet engineering in a tiny object.

Here's some Russian watches I bought when working in SE Asia. Russian sailors would sell them to little shops for beer money. 
    My kids got me a Fitbit so I wear that now. 
    I must see if these still work.

Some of those look brilliant. Funny how the Russians saw watchmaking as an important state industry. It was similar here and in the USA until the 60s. I always think it’s a pity they you can’t buy affordable U.K. made watches now.  

Neil said:
    Penn said:
    ^ What really? Do you think this serial number 0001 strat I have is suspect to?  
    Oh you are a card!   

Great stuff!

I’ve been called worse. I believe they were purchased some years ago from a reputable watch dealer in the Middle East. 
    edited September 2023
    Neil said:
    Penn said:
    beed84 said:
    Penn said:
    beed84 said:
    Penn said:
    Penn said:

You obviously know that both the "Omegas" are fakes. 
    Clearly not, but I now know I wouldn't stand a chance as a tourist in Spain. Or as a member of a British guitar forum as it goes  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Penn said:
    Some of those look brilliant. Funny how the Russians saw watchmaking as an important state industry. It was similar here and in the USA until the 60s. I always think it’s a pity they you can’t buy affordable U.K. made watches now.  

Watchmaking brought very important foreign currency into Soviet Russia.

This is my late Great Uncle's original USSR Poljot (Flight) he bought when they first appeared over here in the '60's.. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    thebreeze said:
    I have a 40mm Hamilton Khaki Field that I still really enjoy despite having others that cost far more. 

It rarely gets any chat on watch forums but it has the perfect proportions compared to the 38 & 42mm versions.

Where's the packet of Rothman's?
    Brilliant!
    edited September 2023
    ^ @Neil ; Very true. They may not be very high end, but they produce some pretty good watches

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^  Very true. They may not be very high end, but they produce some pretty good watches ;)

Yep. The original Sekondas were Russian made and very good quality.

Much later I believe the brand was bought by China?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Neil said:
    Penn said:

Watchmaking brought very important foreign currency into Soviet Russia.

This is my late Great Uncle's original USSR Poljot (Flight) he bought when they first appeared over here in the '60's.. 

That’s a nice old watch. Its nice to have things like that that have been in the family a long time to. 

Yes re: the income from state owned industries but I think some of the reason for the industry was also strategic. You needed to be able to make mechanical stuff and have that skill set in the country for all sorts of military applications. Not just so you had pilots watches and watches for troops but for stuff like timers on detonators. It became less useful as we moved to electronic systems rather than mechanical. My old man is really into all this stuff. He’s a proper watch nerd. 

Tag.jpg 551.1K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Neil said:
    ^  Very true. They may not be very high end, but they produce some pretty good watches ;)

Yep. The original Sekondas were Russian made and very good quality.

Much later I believe the brand was bought by China?
    Sold in 1993 to Hong Kong apparently. Not sure of the age of the one in the pic as it was given to me by a friend.
    He gave me two, but when he died I offered them back to his sons, but this one had no memories for them, the other did...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fancy a Kalashnikov ? Disappointed to see its Swiss made
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225710078514
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    beed84 said:
    Offset said:
    ^^ I like that.

@Offset  If you would like the Poljot Gothic , I'd be happy to send it to you?
    Similarly @Neil  if you would like the Seiko Skyliner (typo with the 'r' earlier), you can have it.
    I have far too many watches that I don't wear & I have no-one to leave them to, so I'd far rather they went to someone that would appreciate them.
    PM me if you have any interest, no catches 

This thread keeps getting better. What an amazing gesture!  :)
    It most certainly is.  The Poljot is right up my street and try as I might, I can't recompense @Kittyfrisk ;
    in any manner whatsoever!  I'll have to find another means to 'pay it back' :-)
    ^The Fretboard is a good place. I'm pleased others have prospered, even if it means on paper I'd be the one who'd end up with a fake. But then I wouldn't know anyway! Enjoy your new watches chaps, they're very nice indeed  :)
    edited September 2023
    Offset said:

I was waiting to see who the first would be to twig this was a fake, but no-one has risen to the challenge!

Mate bought it back from Thailand and gave it to me.  It's got a cheapo quartz movement that for some reason has stopped working - might just need a new battery but I genuinely can't be arsed to take it somewhere to find out.

I will therefore follow @Kittyfrisk 's lead - if someone wants it and can get it working, they're welcome to it gratis.  It's just sitting on a shelf.