Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Show us your sub-high end watches - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Show us your sub-high end watches

What's Hot

Comments

• I remember as a child, just before Christmas walking into my mum and dads bedroom asking for a watch…they obliged and made me stand there for the next five minutes.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Haven't worn a watch for 30 years. It's exciting (and occasionally scary) to see members wrists though.  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited September 2023
    beed84 said:
    Seiko, Hamilton and Casio G-Shock are definitely on the list, so I'll look further into some of the ones listed here  – @Sporky I agree, that G-Shock is very tidy. But I like the unusual too. @RaymondLin where can I get those Meshable watches? I can't find them for sale anywhere.

Some lovely watches chaps, thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing more   
    I got it through Kickstarter in 2017.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/meshablewatches/a-contemporary-automatic-watch

https://wornandwound.com/review/hands-meshable-003/

I think they must have went pop since, shame as the watch is very nice for the money.  Not many at this price point with this design with sapphire glass too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWynd said:
    Haven't worn a watch for 30 years. It's exciting (and occasionally scary) to see members wrists though.  :)

Tbh my watch has basically been a paper weight since I got it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Really like both of those @beed84 ;
    The dark blue strap works well, can you remember where you got it from?
    For the past few months I’ve been wearing a £60-ish Citizen Eco-Drive that is solar powered & keeps good time. Tbh the green canvas strap has seen better days & could do with being replaced.

• duotone said:

That is easily one of if not my favourite Citizen watches, what put me off buying one was the colour of the strap, and that Citizen don't sell black ones to replace the green one with.
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    Dominic said:
    Can I post my Tiara collection here ?
    Maybe go start a forum princess thread
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    The most beautiful watchface in the world (IMO obvs) and it has the benefit of being vegan.

I've got one of those Citizens just up there  too plus a Casio MRW-200H for work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    I've always fancied and thought about buying myself a eone Bradley watch since I fist saw one, specifically one of these models:

Bradley Mesh Black 40mm

Bradley Edge Black

Bradley Apex Leather Black

They're simple,clean, uncluttered, discrete, cheap, and don't attract attention, not to mention you can check the time on them very discretely without anybody noticing.

Is checking the time discretely an important feature?

They look like they should be worn on the ankle rather than the wrist.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Kilgore said:
    I've always fancied and thought about buying myself a eone Bradley watch since I fist saw one, specifically one of these models:

Bradley Mesh Black 40mm

Bradley Edge Black

Bradley Apex Leather Black

They're simple,clean, uncluttered, discrete, cheap, and don't attract attention, not to mention you can check the time on them very discretely without anybody noticing.

Is checking the time discretely an important feature?

They look like they should be worn on the ankle rather than the wrist.

To me it is, and why would I want to wear 2 ankle monitors, surely the one on my right ankle is enough, they're not exactly comfortable, nor stylish to wear, have you ever tried to match your outfit to your ankle monitor, yet alone seen an ankle monitor that can be worn in a formal dress environment as well as a casual environment.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    I was chatting to a mate about watches the other day and he has his dad's Bremont MB1 watch. To acquire one cost about £40m apparently. The watch is a few grand to buy, but you have to have ejected from a plane using the Martin-Baker ejection seat first, thus wrecking a few million pounds worth of plane in the process.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    You should have had it fitted by Group4. My ex was a parole office and one of her guys was going out so they came to tag him. She asked if there was a reason they chose to attach it to his false leg.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Don't forget to add Orient to your list of affordable mechanical watches.
    My daily beater is a Seiko SKX0011 (the orange version of the 007). I also wear an Orient Defender 2, an old Avia mechanical I mended, a Seagull movement Panerai "Homage" which keeps perfect time and one of these Orient Speedster's

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    What are all the different rings of numbers around the outside used for? I can see one is mph, but how are you meant to use it?
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    I'm not really into very cheap watches  ;) although plenty of quality vintage mechanicals can be bought at cheap prices.

I do have a few newer cheaper models that are very good though.

The ubiquitous 007.

And a remake of the old Bulova Devil Diver.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Divers don't usually grab me, but that Bulova is nice. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    CavemanGrogg said:  I currently wear a G-Shock rated to 200 meters, the deepest I've ever taken it is in the bath tub. 
    You bath with your watch on? 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• CHRISB50 said:
    CavemanGrogg said:  I currently wear a G-Shock rated to 200 meters, the deepest I've ever taken it is in the bath tub. 
    You bath with your watch on? 

Yes, how else am I meant to make sure Casio aren't lying to me about it being waterproof?  Besides I wear my watches on the lose side - I can't slip them on and off without undoing the buckle or clasp but lose enough to fit a finger or two between the watch and my wrist and spin it around my wrist.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
    I got a Junkers automatic watch back in 2015, it's like this one:

They've got quite a few different styles all within your budget. You might not have heard of the Junkers brand but they've got quite a lot of heritage in Germany related to aviation.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Sporky said:
    Divers don't usually grab me, but that Bulova is nice. 
    Good in cold weather.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    I know naff all about watches, what makes a good one or a cheap and nasty one, other than whether it tells the time.

This is my everyday watch, a gift from my dad a few years ago:

This one was given to me by my dad, too, but it was originally my grandad's watch, which was in turn given to him by Stanton and Staveley on his retirement in 1976.  It usually only comes out for special occasions.

And this is my latest watch, again a gift from dad, bless him.  A limited edition Citizen/Red Arrows thing.  It's a lovely thing and apparently fully automatic, goodness knows how it works, the manual must be a tome!

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• The Citizen is a couple of weeks old. Mrs G got an inheritance and wanted to buy something nice.
    Chose it because it looked and felt better on the wrist than the Tissot that was double the price.

The Pulsar was bought from Argos about 25 years ago. Worn every day and is pretty damn accurate.

Both automatic.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Adey said:
    What are all the different rings of numbers around the outside used for? I can see one is mph, but how are you meant to use it?

Apparently it's a slide rule (one of the crowns rotates it) and whilst I am old enough (just) to have been taught how to use a slide rule at Engineering college, I'm buggered if I've ever tried on this watch.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    duotone said:
    Really like both of those @beed84 ;
    The dark blue strap works well, can you remember where you got it from?
    For the past few months I’ve been wearing a £60-ish Citizen Eco-Drive that is solar powered & keeps good time. Tbh the green canvas strap has seen better days & could do with being replaced.

Thank you. I bought the watch from Beverly antiques centre, and my sister bought me the strap, which I think she got off Amazon. I don't think it was much, something like £10-20. It was such a relief to see the back of the horrid gold plated expandable thing that came fitted with it though!

beed84 said:
     @RaymondLin where can I get those Meshable watches? I can't find them for sale anywhere.

I got it through Kickstarter in 2017.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/meshablewatches/a-contemporary-automatic-watch

https://wornandwound.com/review/hands-meshable-003/

I think they must have went pop since, shame as the watch is very nice for the money.  Not many at this price point with this design with sapphire glass too.
    Ah fair enough. As you say, it's a shame as they're really nice. That said, I've saved the Worn and Wound page in case another or similar kickstarter comes up. That's where I found the Defakto watches.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    edited September 2023
    @FX_Munkee @BigMonka I'm really liking these. The Orient probably has more going on that I'd normally go for but it all seems tastefully, if not unusually, done – I'll check their wares. Now that I've realised I've created a decent rabbit hole for myself, I'm quite liking the Bulovas on this page too!
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
     I can't say I'm a watch person but bought one of these back in Feb to wear at a business event. Cost £230 and I've worn it once.

As a kid I had a watch which was a novelty for me (and kids in my class). The first watch in my class to play 'The Yellow Rose of Texas' as an alarm tone. No other kid's watch came close. Chronograph to 1/100th sec, and those hundredths are important age 11, especially for testing reactions. Think I got it down to 0.03.

This Seiko doesn't have any of that, but does glow in the dark which is always a bonus. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    @CountryDave ;
    I really like that Citizen watch & generally prefer lines as opposed to numbers on the watch face. The black face & white markings is very neat & tidy.

I was gonna say that your Pulsar must have put in a good shift. 25 years of daily wear is good going.
  • duotone said:
    @CountryDave ;
    I really like that Citizen watch & generally prefer lines as opposed to numbers on the watch face. The black face & white markings is very neat & tidy.

I was gonna say that your Pulsar must have put in a good shift. 25 years of daily wear is good going.
    Still going strong. If I recall it cost about £30 in a sale.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    Not sure if this counts as sub-'highend' but I only paid 1300 for this Bremont (without the strap)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter