Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Russell Brand allegations - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Russell Brand allegations

What's Hot

Comments

• So the pricks in government think they can instruct social media platform 'Rumble' to demonetise his channel based on no evidence of crime and no arrest. Irrespective of whether he is guilty or not, this is the chance they've been waiting for to take him down.
       If he is found guilty in a court of law for rape, then throw the book at him. But you can guarantee many of the current corporate pitchfork crew trying to take him down are just as vile. Let's shine the light on the lot of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sorry slight diversion but the recent posts show Off Topic at its very best

@PLOP makes a comment that 9 out of 10 people on here would disagree with strongly but there’s been no name calling and the thread hasn’t descended into anarchy. Instead a few people have politely pointed out the flaws in his argument (in their opinion) and we’ve moved on.

Brings a tear to the eye
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrislyFindGrislyFind Frets: 13
    edited September 2023
    The latest twist from the UK Gov't wading in to pressure Rumble has pushed me over the edge. I was willing to accept that it wasn't a hit job by the elites (after all, I don't think Sir Cliff did anything to rock the boat) so perhaps it was just decent journalism.
    But having parliament rip up the 'innocent until proven guilty' tenet is very disturbing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I don't suppose the pricks in government give a shit either way about him, he's hardly Fidel Castro or Nelson Mandela.
    He's no more than a mild, inconsequential irritant to the establishment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I love the rustle of tin foil in the morning 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    I bet Julian Assange wishes he had this level of support from the public.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So the pricks in government think they can instruct social media platform 'Rumble' to demonetise his channel based on no evidence of crime and no arrest. Irrespective of whether he is guilty or not, this is the chance they've been waiting for to take him down.
       If he is found guilty in a court of law for rape, then throw the book at him. But you can guarantee many of the current corporate pitchfork crew trying to take him down are just as vile. Let's shine the light on the lot of them.
    Demonitised by youtube becuase of their aversion to controversy for their advertisers.   But the videos are still there, becuase knobody cares about what he's actully saying in them.  Not a very good cover up if the videos are still online is it?  Youtube love the videos as they make them money, but of advertisers might get nervous then they pull that element.  They are not duty bound to advertise on his channel.  They are protecting their brand just like RB has been building his latest Brand.  That's how capitalism works.

RB is very much part of the establishment, made masses of money out of MSM, very rich and powerful, now no TV channels really want him he makes loads of money of the western capatilist machine that is youtube.  It's crazy how he has duped people into thinking he's really challenging the status quo.  
    Conspiracy stuff sells, it's becoming the new MSM.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Shrews said:

It's very relevant if you've heard the stories, been told first-hand, witnessed it first-hand and, as the interviewee stated were from highly reputable sources. 

And yes, it is how EVERYBODY should act. Why the hell wouldn't you?

Worried about your mortgage like the interviewee perhaps? FFS. People like you make me sick. Sit back and do fuck all. 

I think the media world in 2003-2013 wasn't quite like the general corporate world in 2023.

Also, the balance of power (which is very much something that is assessed in the legal world), is very different than in most industries.  

I don't think just going to the HR department to complain about a presenter would have been a genuine option when these offences are alleged to have happened.  If face we don't know that people didn't try.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    Sassafras said:
    I don't suppose the pricks in government give a shit either way about him, he's hardly Fidel Castro or Nelson Mandela.
    He's no more than a mild, inconsequential irritant to the establishment.
    And to be honest, most of his analysis starts of with a good question but ends up veering off into fantasy land so I doubt anyone really cares about him. 
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Remember when Russell Brand fought the mainstream by endorsing Ed Milliband?

The only thing he has exposed is his own genitalia. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    The latest twist from the UK Gov't wading in to pressure Rumble has pushed me over the edge. I was willing to accept that it wasn't a hit job by the elites (after all, I don't think Sir Cliff did anything to rock the boat) so perhaps it was just decent journalism.
    But having parliament rip up the 'innocent until proven guilty' tenet is very disturbing.
    They are populists, they are losing in the polls, what do you expect? Any which way the wind blows

I am more disgusted by the 'stop the boats' and Rwanda bullshit personally
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euan said:
    Remember when Russell Brand fought the mainstream by endorsing Ed Milliband?

The only thing he has exposed is his own genitalia. 
    And when he was writing weekly columns in the Guardian, or being named shagger of the year in the tabloids, or hosting music awards shows?

Stick it to the man!!! 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited September 2023
    Regardless of the validity of the actual allegations...here's how it reads to me:

Self-interested opportunistic conspiracy wonk complains when politicians opportunistically respond with self-interested public distractions to his pre-emptive opportunistic distraction accusations.

It's difficult to care too much, but if the long-term result is less Russell Brand in the entertainment space, that seems like a net positive.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    They are populists, they are losing in the polls, what do you expect? Any which way the wind blows

Absolutely. While this is important, I never understand why people are flocking to the forums and comments section to moan about this but never about the fact people can't get a dentist, or hospital appointments, or the roads are filled with pot holes, about continued corruption in the government, about the media tycoons who seem to be dictating government policy and deciding elections.

It's strange what we actually get outraged about as a group, isn't it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 140
    Gilly said:
    PLOP said:
    I’ve always liked Russell Brand. I listened to his podcasts for years, watched him on Re:Brand, seen his stand up live… Not really keen on the weird conspiracy stuff of the last ~5 years but he’s still a smart, intelligent, funny and seemingly very caring person. 
    while lots of people accept whatever bad thing about him as true because of his persona, I’m not sure if I believe it. In the probably hundreds of hours I’ve listened to him talking, I find him to be very honest about his past. He’s always been very open about what he did during his crazy years and his autobiography goes into more depth too. 
    Obviously this kind of thing isn’t the same as various heroin anecdotes that can be laughed about, but I would err on the side of “untrue”. I haven’t read the allegations, but I’d be surprised if it was based on anything more than being forward and persistent and nothing physical. Not that being pushy is ok, but it’s certainly not the worst thing he could have done. 

On top of this, it’s well documented how despised he is by most of the UK news media, and the media also have a habit of making storms in a teacup and destroying people’s lives when they get a chance. 

You’re entitled to your opinion of course but your argument appears to be “I like Russell Brand therefore I don’t believe it”. So it’s not really worthy of any consideration.
    I think you might have oversimplified it a bit. 

If no evidence turns up, and the media who froth at the mouth for scandal and distraction have in fact blown this way up for no reason at all other than a smear campaign, I will not be surprised. 

If evidence proves him guilty, then he deserves to be punished accordingly. 

I used to go to a cafe near my house, and I spent a decent amount of time chatting to the owner. We shared similar interests and music tastes, but then one day the cafe was closed and his face was in the local paper for having a computer full of CP. I obviously never spoke or saw him again, and I won’t say “he was a nice guy when I knew him so I don’t believe it”. Not that RB has done anything that heinous but if it turns out to be true, my opinions of him will change. Until then, I’ll believe it’s the same amount of truth and manufactured outrage as numerous other scandals the press invent. 
    People saying there is no evidence when there is a lot of very strong evidence
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    roberty said:
    People saying there is no evidence when there is a lot of very strong evidence
    Literal medical evidence. 

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    PLOP said:

If no evidence turns up, and the media who froth at the mouth for scandal and distraction have in fact blown this way up for no reason at all other than a smear campaign, I will not be surprised. 
    He really hasn't. That's essentially what you said. 

There's already evidence of alleged wrongdoing and grooming of a 16 year old. The text messages where he apologises after (allegedly) forcing himself on one of the women is evidence. Her going to a rape clinic and forceful assault being recorded by the healthcare professionals is evidence. Using public funds and services to (allegedly) pick up a 16 year from her school, and encouraging her via text to lie to her parents is evidence.

Guilt hasn't been proven but it is evidence, as in there are pieces of documentation and/or physical items that provide cause for suspicion of a crime. That's evidence. 

But again, you said you haven't looked into it and you don't believe it anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    PLOP said:

He really hasn't. That's essentially what you said. 

There's already evidence of alleged wrongdoing and grooming of a 16 year old. The text messages where he apologises after (allegedly) forcing himself on one of the women is evidence. Her going to a rape clinic and forceful assault being recorded by the healthcare professionals is evidence. Using public funds and services to (allegedly) pick up a 16 year from her school, and encouraging her via text to lie to her parents is evidence.

Guilt hasn't been proven but it is evidence, as in there are pieces of documentation and/or physical items that provide cause for suspicion of a crime. That's evidence. 

But again, you said you haven't looked into it and you don't believe it anyway. 
    And they wonder why women are hesitant come out about these things
    Regardless of the validity of the actual allegations...here's how it reads to me:

Self-interested opportunistic conspiracy wonk complains when politicians opportunistically respond with self-interested public distractions to his pre-emptive opportunistic distraction accusations.

It's difficult to care too much, but if the long-term result is less Russell Brand in the entertainment space, that seems like a net positive.
    Remember when Boris Johnson was in ICU and we didn't have to hear his voice for a few days. That was a nice break
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Demonitised by youtube becuase of their aversion to controversy for their advertisers.   But the videos are still there, becuase knobody cares about what he's actully saying in them.  Not a very good cover up if the videos are still online is it?  Youtube love the videos as they make them money, but of advertisers might get nervous then they pull that element.  They are not duty bound to advertise on his channel.  They are protecting their brand just like RB has been building his latest Brand.  That's how capitalism works.

RB is very much part of the establishment, made masses of money out of MSM, very rich and powerful, now no TV channels really want him he makes loads of money of the western capatilist machine that is youtube.  It's crazy how he has duped people into thinking he's really challenging the status quo.  

I would say that 6.5 million subscribers, countless views and comments of support would prove you wrong there.

And yes, he's like many before him, the likes of John Lennon for example, preaching equality, peace, love and understanding whilst milking the machine for all it's worth. Of course it's Capitalism, we are governed by Crony Capitalism, but because someone speaks out against it in all their hypocrisy, it doesn't mean what they are saying is false...which in fact most of his content is on the money(ironically speaking).
       Most of his content cannot be refuted, therefore the best challenge is to call him a hypocrite, character assassination.
       I don't agree with everything he says, but there is little conspiracy in what he says, oh yeah, that's the other way to try and shut someone down, just call them a conspiracy nut.
       Little conspiracy in saying government is mostly corrupt.
       Little conspiracy in saying there is a revolving door between government and the corporate empire
       Little conspiracy in saying we are pretty much disenfranchised now
    In fact I would go as far as to say anyone who believes we are living in a democracy whereby government are acting in our best interests and in no way influenced by self interests and their corporate associates is an idiot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:

Absolutely. While this is important, I never understand why people are flocking to the forums and comments section to moan about this but never about the fact people can't get a dentist, or hospital appointments, or the roads are filled with pot holes, about continued corruption in the government, about the media tycoons who seem to be dictating government policy and deciding elections.

It's strange what we actually get outraged about as a group, isn't it. 
    I think the government love the big conspiracies, because half the population are too focused on them to know or care about the gradual erosion of public services, increasing taxes and general government inefficiency.  Part of me thinks the government might even start the odd one just to deflect from their real self interest and general incompetance.  

From Wired:
    One of Brand’s alleged victims, speaking on the BBC, called his statement “insulting” and “laughable.” But within the alt-media, there was a show of support from figures including Andrew Tate, the misogynist influencer who is awaiting trial for rape and human trafficking in Romania, Tucker Carlson, the former Fox News anchor, who now runs a conspiracy-inflected show on X, and Alex Jones, fined $1.5 billion for lies about the victims of a school shooting. X’s owner, Elon Musk, posted underneath Brand’s video: “Of course. They don’t like competition”—referring, apparently, to those same dark forces referenced by the comedian. The camaraderie between conspiracy theorists, the alt-right, and the “manosphere,” is grimly predictable. Their shared narrative is one of alienation from the mainstream, outsiderdom, and dark forces massing to thwart them. “Opposite day, but with real consequences for people,” as Marc Owen Jones, an expert on disinformation and social media at Hamad bin Khalifa University in Qatar, puts it.

Brand’s YouTube channel is a compendium of contemporary bullshit. Covid lockdowns were exercises in social control. The US has “biolabs” in Ukraine; the West’s support for Ukraine is capitalist imperialism. Central bank digital currencies are the government’s attempts to control your money. Evolving gender norms are causing a “crisis in masculinity” and declines in fertility. There are routine crossovers between Brand’s content and the wider conspiracy cinematic universe, with clips on his channels of conspiracy theorist Robert Kennedy Junior, far-right Hungarian president Viktor Orban, and Carlson, who recorded an interview with Brand in August.

The man's a grifter. He will say anything for money and popularity. He's not a threat to the establishment, he's a fucking twit

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

I would say that 6.5 million subscribers, countless views and comments of support would prove you wrong there.

And yes, he's like many before him, the likes of John Lennon for example, preaching equality, peace, love and understanding whilst milking the machine for all it's worth. Of course it's Capitalism, we are governed by Crony Capitalism, but because someone speaks out against it in all their hypocrisy, it doesn't mean what they are saying is false...which in fact most of his content is on the money(ironically speaking).
       Most of his content cannot be refuted, therefore the best challenge is to call him a hypocrite, character assassination.
       I don't agree with everything he says, but there is little conspiracy in what he says, oh yeah, that's the other way to try and shut someone down, just call them a conspiracy nut.
       Little conspiracy in saying there is a revolving door between government and the corporate empire
    In fact I would go as far as to say anyone who believes we are living in a democracy whereby government are acting in our best interests and in no way influenced by self interests and their corporate associates is an idiot.
    Reminds me of the famous George Carlin piece -

https://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/george-carlin-on-conspiracies/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

I mean anybody in power.  Would be easy to remove his videos if somebody really wanted to.  

I didn't say that there was no truth in his videos either, we are all aware of government corruption, contracts to mates, disenfranchised population etc.

Let's flip this round.   Tell me one thing he's uncovered in his videos, one spoking gun, where he's lifted the lid on something that exposes the powers that be?  I don't mean posting videos, just tell me specifically, what original exposé has he conducted?

I'm happy to be educated here, I've not watched his videos more than a cursory glance, but if he has conducted some vital journalism that compromises somebody in power, what is it?

• In fact I would go as far as to say anyone who believes we are living in a democracy whereby government are acting in our best interests and in no way influenced by self interests and their corporate associates is an idiot.
    You'd be hard pressed to find anybody that believes the current government is acting in our best interests.
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1112
    edited September 2023
    So the pricks in government think they can instruct social media platform 'Rumble' to demonetise his channel based on no evidence of crime and no arrest. Irrespective of whether he is guilty or not, this is the chance they've been waiting for to take him down.

Why would a Channel 4 Dispatches team from a left-leaning TV channel have any interest in helping the Tory government? If you think this is some kind of stitch up because the government feel threatened by him and they’ve influenced journalists to do it that is a conspiracy theory
    and a very weak one at that.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Brand is a Mahatma Gandhi for the Z-Genners.
  • The problem is...to support the idea that there's a conspiracy against him, you first have to establish that he poses some sort of threat to every single organisation that he asserts is part of that conspiracy.

He really, really isn't. His influence has dwindled over the years, to the point where he's reduced to ranting on YouTube. Yes, he has 6.5m followers, and yes he gets 20m views a week, but that's nothing compared to his previous status. He isn't mobilising some great groundswell of opposition to any of these organisations, there is no movement with him at the head, and he hasn't made any startling discovery that could upset the world order.

He just isn't important enough for a conspiracy to target him, particularly not one involving all the players surfacing now.

The reality is that everybody who's taken a shot at him is doing so opportunistically, because they can each - individually - get something out of it, even if that "something" is just going with the flow of public sentiment. Which, really, is what he did when he reinvented himself from TV comedian to YouTube personality, just with a different segment of the public.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Gilly said:
    So the pricks in government think they can instruct social media platform 'Rumble' to demonetise his channel based on no evidence of crime and no arrest. Irrespective of whether he is guilty or not, this is the chance they've been waiting for to take him down.

Why would a Channel 4 Dispatches team from a left-leaning TV channel have any interest in helping the Tory government? If you think this is some kind of stitch up because the government feel threatened by him and they’ve influenced journalists to do it that is a conspiracy theory
    and a very weak one at that.
    I said no such thing