Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Russell Brand allegations - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Russell Brand allegations

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_Q said:
    I don't remember many people leaping to the defence of Weinstein, Harris, the already-deceased Savile etc as they seem to be doing with Russell Brand.  Is it just that he's more popular - and has a big social media following, which the others certainly didn't - so there's a reluctance to accept what kind of person he really is

Maybe its down to him reinventing himself as some kind of anti establishment cult leader on his Youtube channel ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Sassafras said:
    The police don't have a great track record when it comes to investigating complaints against high profile people (Cyril Smith, Jimmy Savile). It's no surprise people go to the media first.
    Successful rape prosecutions are also so small that I imagine many women simply don't report them to the police.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    The police don't have a great track record when it comes to investigating complaints against high profile people (Cyril Smith, Jimmy Savile). It's no surprise people go to the media first.
    You might even feel they are a protected if they have a certain hand shake
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Adey said:
    Haych said:
    I haven't read all the comments so I could be repeating stuff here.

I have no particular love of Brand, when he first rose to fame I couldn't stand the man.  I still think he'd do well for a wash, haircut and some decent clothes but that's besides the point.

Over the years I have softened my opinion of him somewhat and he has on a few occasions surprised me with how intelligent and articulate he obviously is.

Furthermore, I do not know if any of these allegations are true, neither do I care very much at the moment.

I do find it very disturbing that anonymous persons can make allegations in the media that destroys a persons life and career, because if it can happen to someone as high profile as Brand then why couldn't it happen to me, and what defence would I have if it did?  

I find it further disturbing that as soon as an allegation is made, anyone associated with the individual accused scatters. Assumed to be guilty before any real process has begun.

This is nothing but trial revenge by media Lynch mob and as such it jeopardises the success of any legal trial that may be brought and minimises the chances of the women making the allegations of seeing justice inside a courtroom.

There's also something of the metoo movement about all of this, I think.  Memory is very fallible and as a memory is replayed it is replayed by a different light of the time in which it is recalled.  Kind of like people being convinced they met Daffy Duck at Disneyland.

I do not belittle the experiences of any woman who may or may not have been damaged by Brand's alleged predatory behaviour, but it's also a salient point that needs to be stated and if it ever goes to trial you can guarantee it will be stated.

Personally, I think Russel Brand is a slimey git.

However, it is wrong for people and companies to be Judge Judy and Executioner (sic Hot Fuzz). 

I read that You Tube had deceided to stop paying him revenue. That's wrong. He hasn't been found guilty of anything. If he is eventually found guilty, in say a years' time, of a lesser offence, will they be making an effort to pay back what was incorrectly withheld?

The internet really is "Home of the Baying Mob"

On the face of it, we could assume it's wrong for YouTube to cease the monetisation of his content, but that would just be another assumption wouldn't it? When none of us has any clue what his contract with YouTube states or indeed whether he even has one.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't remember many people leaping to the defence of Weinstein, Harris, the already-deceased Savile etc as they seem to be doing with Russell Brand.  Is it just that he's more popular - and has a big social media following, which the others certainly didn't - so there's a reluctance to accept what kind of person he really is?

Maybe its down to him reinventing himself as some kind of anti establishment cult leader on his Youtube channel ? 
    Well yeah, that's what I meant by referring to his social media following... there's already speculation that he's created that persona as a ready-made-defence against the inevitability of these allegations eventually surfacing.

But I don't want to get too conspiracy-theory, in respect of either conspiracy theories about him, or the ones he (apparently) propagates.
    edited September 2023
    I worked one of his gigs once, in Liverpool around 2010/11 I think.

I was struck by some of the weirdoes who came to watch with some girls done up to look like him: the messy hair, similar clothes, and bizarrely - painted on stubble.

It all seemed a bit cultish to me 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited September 2023
    tony99 said:

I was struck by some of the weirdoes who came to watch with some girls done up to look like him: the messy hair, similar clothes, and bizarrely - painted on stubble.

Yea but that's no different to a rock/metal concert. During the grunge days, people wanted to look like Cobain and Vedder. Don't even get me started on how many guys tried to look like Liam Gallagher during the Oasis era at their peak. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30023
    tony99 said:

Jesus! Who'd want a girl who looks like Russell Brand?
  • Sassafras said:
    tony99 said:

Jesus! Who'd want a girl who looks like Russell Brand?
    Russell Brand. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99 said:

At the echo? Was a great gig that. Bit mad when he was just walking about in the crowd getting off with random people though. 
  • Philly_Q said:
    I don't remember many people leaping to the defence of Weinstein, Harris, the already-deceased Savile etc as they seem to be doing with Russell Brand.  Is it just that he's more popular - and has a big social media following, which the others certainly didn't - so there's a reluctance to accept what kind of person he really is?
    That might be the case. It works for His Orangeness, for example. His social media followers don't want "the" truth - they seem to want "my" truth. Now Brand has successfully placed himself in the consciousness of people who "aren't sheeple" and actually know things that the rest of us do not...  well...   ;)
    tony99 said:

Yea but that's no different to a rock/metal concert. During the grunge days, people wanted to look like Cobain and Vedder. Don't even get me started on how many guys tried to look like Liam Gallagher during the Oasis era at their peak. 
    Really?  Yes, there's a sort of "uniform" of jeans, black T-shirts, maybe the flannel shirt thing for a while in the grunge days, but I don't remember ever going to a rock or metal gig and seeing anyone trying to look like a specific member of the band.  I suppose you probably get a few plonkers in Angus suits at an AC/DC gig, but that's about it.
    Philly_Q said:
    That might be the case. It works for His Orangeness, for example. His social media followers don't want "the" truth - they seem to want "my" truth. Now Brand has successfully placed himself in the consciousness of people who "aren't sheeple" and actually know things that the rest of us do not...  well...   ;)
    You're right.  I hadn't really extrapolated that far as putting Brand in Trump's "exalted" company, but I guess it's similar.  And anything which puts the person in a negative light is just seen as the "MSM" or whatever conspiring against them - and actually increases their popularity.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited September 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said:

Really?  Yes, there's a sort of "uniform" of jeans, black T-shirts, maybe the flannel shirt thing for a while in the grunge days, but I don't remember ever going to a rock or metal gig and seeing anyone trying to look like a specific member of the band.  I suppose you probably get a few plonkers in Angus suits at an AC/DC gig, but that's about it.
    And you also get a few plonkers who dressed like Brand at his gigs.  Doesn't make it a cult does it.  And that's the point I'm making in response to Tony99. 

Besides, the flannel shirt thing WAS trying to look like the people up on stage.  Guaranteed if Pearl Jam/Nirvana sported mohawks and tutus, some people would turn up to their gigs wearing the same thing.  But let's take it further than just grunge then to hopefully illustrate this.  Korn, Slipknot, Kiss, Marilyn Manson, - just some examples of bands off the top of my head that pushed the envelope with their attire and makeup.  You mean to tell me you haven't seen thousands of kids at their gigs who didn't wear the same things as the band members?  Point being - this is just the kind of stuff that happens at gigs.  Just because Brand isn't a musician doesn't exclude his fans from that, does it =)
  • Hey, I still wear flannel shirts! 
    tony99 said:

At the echo? Was a great gig that. Bit mad when he was just walking about in the crowd getting off with random people though. 
    Yes that one mate. Am I remembering rightly it was snowing a blizzard that night?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    I never liked him doing the zodiac signs on breakfast TV. Never felt he was a rapist though, but definitely manipulative with his 'Mars in Capricorn' stuff. I wouldn't go out some days. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    tony99 said:

And you also get a few plonkers who dressed like Brand at his gigs.  Doesn't make it a cult does it.  And that's the point I'm making in response to Tony99. 

Well, they did refer to themselves as the Branch Russellians.

And it looks like the press are going to have themselves a big ol' texas bbq like the one in Waco back in the day!
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Never really been bothered by him one way or another, but as soon as I heard about these allegations - lets just say I wasn't surprised.
  • Haych said:
    I haven't read all the comments so I could be repeating stuff here.

I have no particular love of Brand, when he first rose to fame I couldn't stand the man.  I still think he'd do well for a wash, haircut and some decent clothes but that's besides the point.

Over the years I have softened my opinion of him somewhat and he has on a few occasions surprised me with how intelligent and articulate he obviously is.

Furthermore, I do not know if any of these allegations are true, neither do I care very much at the moment.

I do find it very disturbing that anonymous persons can make allegations in the media that destroys a persons life and career, because if it can happen to someone as high profile as Brand then why couldn't it happen to me, and what defence would I have if it did?  

I find it further disturbing that as soon as an allegation is made, anyone associated with the individual accused scatters. Assumed to be guilty before any real process has begun.

This is nothing but trial revenge by media Lynch mob and as such it jeopardises the success of any legal trial that may be brought and minimises the chances of the women making the allegations of seeing justice inside a courtroom.

There's also something of the metoo movement about all of this, I think.  Memory is very fallible and as a memory is replayed it is replayed by a different light of the time in which it is recalled.  Kind of like people being convinced they met Daffy Duck at Disneyland.

I do not belittle the experiences of any woman who may or may not have been damaged by Brand's alleged predatory behaviour, but it's also a salient point that needs to be stated and if it ever goes to trial you can guarantee it will be stated.

" I do not know if any of these allegations are true, neither do I care very much at the moment."

Followed by, "I do not belittle the experiences of any woman who may or may not have been damaged by Brand's alleged predatory behaviour,"

But you do care enough to post this on a forum.
    Yea this is just completely contradictory. 'this is nothing but revenge by media' followed by 'I do not belittle the experiences of any woman damaged by Brand' - You just did. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    Never been a fan of Brand. Always seemed to me to be the sort of bloke I would want to avoid. Obnoxious, entitled, misogynist, knock kneed ponce of the highest degree.

Years ago, there was a fly on the wall doc on him and he came across as an utter wanker on it.

Quite why he has had a platform to express opinions that people want to hear baffles me. 

We are seeing a massive feeding frenzy for sure. Whatever the outcome of all this, I think he's finished. 

Jonathan Ross - he's another git. Can't stand him either. Horrible git. Slimy, ingratiating lardy bastard. With big poncy hair. No idea how he manages to be popular either.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Shrews said:
    I never liked him doing the zodiac signs on breakfast TV. Never felt he was a rapist though, but definitely manipulative with his 'Mars in Capricorn' stuff. I wouldn't go out some days. 
    I really had to think about that one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    I must live a very sheltered life as, until this controversy broke, I had never heard of him. Living as I do in ROI and not being a TV addict, that revelation might not be much of a surprise. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    TeleMaster said:

this is just completely contradictory
    No it isn't
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    TeleMaster said:

No it isn't
    Yes, is it. You can't on one hand say that it's a revenge, hit piece, trial by media mob and then say that you aren't belittling the women after essentially reducing the whole thing to tabloid sensationalism and undermining the legitimacy of their testimonies. It is a contradiction. 
    Rocker said:
    I must live a very sheltered life as, until this controversy broke, I had never heard of him. Living as I do in ROI and not being a TV addict, that revelation might not be much of a surprise. 
    I would guess he was probably on the telly in the ROI, but I can't say for sure since I haven't been there since 1967.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    roberty said:
    TeleMaster said:

No it isn't
    Yes, is it. You can't on one hand say that it's a revenge, hit piece, trial by media mob and then say that you aren't belittling the women after essentially reducing the whole thing to tabloid sensationalism and undermining the legitimacy of their testimonies. It is a contradiction. 
    I think you have missed the point of @roberty's comment.

As for mine, ok, you've made your point.  Maybe I was wrong, or maybe I didn't express myself adequately, maybe my choice of words was poor.  If either of those is true then I'm happy to reconsider my stance.

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• roberty said:
    TeleMaster said:

No it isn't
    Michael Palin: An argument isn't just contradiction.

John Cleese: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.

Palin: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'

Cleese: Yes it is!

Palin: No it isn't!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited September 2023

@TT I agree with what you said, yes that's also v true.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    Haych said:
    roberty said:
    TeleMaster said:

No it isn't
    I think you have missed the point of @roberty's comment.

As for mine, ok, you've made your point.  Maybe I was wrong, or maybe I didn't express myself adequately, maybe my choice of words was poor.  If either of those is true then I'm happy to reconsider my stance.
    If I have I'm open to having it explained. It seemed to me to be, I said something was contradictory and then Roberty said it wasn't. I'm not sure if it was just a Monty Python bit now though... I might be too young to have seen it :lol: 

If this came across as a hit piece then I think you'd have a point about it, but I really don't think it was. This was a very good piece of collaborative, investigative journalism based on the testimonies of many women.