Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Russell Brand allegations - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Russell Brand allegations

What's Hot

Comments

• @TeleMaster I think @roberty was doing a funny. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    If I have I'm open to having it explained. It seemed to me to be, I said something was contradictory and then Roberty said it wasn't. 
    I could be wrong (as I often am) but I took the comment to be a bit of tongue in cheek, you said I made a contradictory statement, @Roberty contradicted you.  That's all.

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    Whether or not he's guilty the comments from his supporters are laughable, they actually think that he was getting "too close to the truth" and this is a plot to get rid of him. 

He's a comedian with a YouTube channel, give your heads a wobble.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Haych said:
    If I have I'm open to having it explained. It seemed to me to be, I said something was contradictory and then Roberty said it wasn't. 
    I could be wrong (as I often am) but I took the comment to be a bit of tongue in cheek, you said I made a contradictory statement, @Roberty contradicted you.  That's all.
    No I didn't
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Until he's convicted of rape, I'm not jumping on this bandwagon.

Though I was already on the I-hate-Brand-bandwagon. He may be an even bigger arsehole than I thought. I want to see a court case - even a civil one, like Trump vs Carroll.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    Haych said:
    No I didn't
    :lol:
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • There have been a few faceplant moments on this thread. You try and make light of things, but the joke goes completely over someone's head. I was looking for the faceplant emoji yesterday, but I don't think there is one on here so i gave up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    There have been a few faceplant moments on this thread. You try and make light of things, but the joke goes completely over someone's head. I was looking for the faceplant emoji yesterday, but I don't think there is one on here so i gave up.
    Now there's a can of worms.... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @victorludorum Facepalm?
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    The thing is, why has everyone waited until now?

I understand why the women involved could've waited, but many others just seem to fall inside the 'we always knew he was dodgy' bracket.

If he's a cunt then he's a cunt, lots of people in life are, especially in celebrity, high-end business and political circles. But whether he's a rapist is an altogether different question.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Watch the part of the video Roberty highlighted on page 6. It makes it clear why people didn’t, and an insight into how those who did were silenced. 
  • There have been a few faceplant moments on this thread. You try and make light of things, but the joke goes completely over someone's head. I was looking for the faceplant emoji yesterday, but I don't think there is one on here so i gave up.
    It is a light topic, after all. 
    Shrews said:
    The thing is, why has everyone waited until now?
    You will never be able to answer that. You will need to listen to women who have been assaulted by powerful men to know the answer. The information is available
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    There have been a few faceplant moments on this thread. You try and make light of things, but the joke goes completely over someone's head. I was looking for the faceplant emoji yesterday, but I don't think there is one on here so i gave up.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    ^^ Looks a bit like Charlie Brooker.  Crossed with Sideshow Bob.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    euan said:
    Watch the part of the video Roberty highlighted on page 6. It makes it clear why people didn’t, and an insight into how those who did were silenced. 
    Ok I watched it, but still don't see why they don't report it to the police. Yep, employer, in those circles I geddit, you might be flushing a career you've work hard for down the drain.

But. 

Just go to the police. Help them build a case, encourage who has spread the rumour to do the same. The Theroux interview was post Savile, Operation Yew Tree was in full swing and yet she didn't report this one?

Why not? 
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1112
    Shrews said:
    euan said:
    Ok I watched it, but still don't see why they don't report it to the police. Yep, employer, in those circles I geddit, you might be flushing a career you've work hard for down the drain.

But. 

Just go to the police. Help them build a case, encourage who has spread the rumour to do the same. The Theroux interview was post Savile, Operation Yew Tree was in full swing and yet she didn't report this one?

Why not? 
    Jesus christ. I know I shouldn’t be surprised on here but still.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 868
    edited September 2023
    I wasn't sure if it was facepalm or plant. When I checked online faceplant emoji came up, so I went with it. They're probably different, but you get the point.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Isn't a faceplant an unsuccessful skateboard trick? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    edited September 2023
    Gilly said:
    Shrews said:
    euan said:

But. 

Why not? 
    @Shrews This may help explain why.  Taken from Rape Crisis front page:

67,169 rapes were recorded by police in 2022. By the end of the year, charges had been brought in just 1,276 (1.9%) of these cases. This means that...Less than 2 in 100 rapes recorded by police in 2022 resulted in a charge that same yearLet alone a conviction.

Edit - Or maybe this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66843086
    S56035 said:
    Gilly said:
    Shrews said:
    euan said:

But. 

Why not? 
    @Shrews This may help explain why.  Taken from Rape Crisis front page:

67,169 rapes were recorded by police in 2022. By the end of the year, charges had been brought in just 1,276 (1.9%) of these cases. This means that...

Less than 2 in 100 rapes recorded by police in 2022 resulted in a charge that same year

Let alone a conviction.

But what are the reasons for this?

If the person was guilty then the evidence available decides if the case progresses to a charge. The courtroom decides if the evidence convicts the person.

If we want to argue whether that's right or wrong in this country then that's for another thread. But ultimately I think we all agree that it's 'innocent until proven guilty'. 

And the point made in the video is that with Russell Brand the interviewee didn't come forward because she wanted to protect her mortgage. Erm...

• SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    @Shrews you may want to re-watch the video clip. Katherine Ryan is quite clear that she was not a victim of sexual assault by Brand, but she clearly feels she has strong personal evidence that he is a predator, and therefore repeatedly called him so on a TV show (but those segments were not aired). She was in no position to go to the police. She may or may not have encouraged third parties to do so.
    edited September 2023
    Gilly said:
    Shrews said:
    euan said:

But. 

Why not? 
    Why are you surprised? Did you watch the video I was asked to watch?

If I heard stories about a colleague at work grooming young girls, women colleagues being sexually harassed, I would go straight to my HR Dept and leave it with them. If I saw no change then I would take it a step further.

If I had no faith in my HR Dept I would go to the police.

What I wouldn't do is say nothing and leave it up to someone else to report

What sort of person are you @Gilly ?  A 'do something about it' person or a 'shush, say nothing' person?

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Shrews said:
    Gilly said:
    Shrews said:
    euan said:

But. 

Why not? 

If I heard stories about a colleague at work grooming young girls, women colleagues being sexually harassed, I would go straight to my HR Dept and leave it with them. If I saw no change then I would take it a step further.

What sort of person are you @Gilly ?  A 'do something about it' person or a 'shush, say nothing' person?

Or maybe a blame the victims person...
    Shrews said:
    Gilly said:
    Shrews said:
    euan said:

But. 

Why not? 

So because that’s what you would do, that’s how  everyone else should act? There’s numerous reasons why someone might not report a sexual assault to the police. What I would do is completely irrelevant.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    Shrews said:
    But what are the reasons for this?

If the person was guilty then the evidence available decides if the case progresses to a charge. The courtroom decides if the evidence convicts the person.
    The cases get dropped, the evidence is deemed weak, the victim pulls out.

Not everything is free and fair in these scenarios, there is bias throughout the criminal justice system, and the information the CPS get can be biased, and the processes involved, like using rape testing kits can be extremely distressing for women, as well as having their phones taken off them and analysed for months. The thought of going through a whole legal case can be like a going through the rape again for them. The police force seems to have a shit load of sex pests amongst their ranks, with over a thousand Met Officers alone being investigated for sexual offences.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/sep/19/police-met-officers-suspended-or-restricted-duties?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Many women have said that they got contacted by random officers on Facebook after they submit their accusations. This misogyny is likely to be widespread through the criminal justice system overall, just as racism is. Can you imagine the trauma of going through all of this and then you meet an officer who flirts with you, acts inappropriately, casts doubt on your story, interrogates you, the victim or just flat out blames you at the highest level? Surely you can see why you would become hesitant in this scenario or why you might try and evade it altogether. 

https://refuge.org.uk/news/refuge-responds-to-senior-met-police-officers-alleged-comments-that-bulk-of-rape-reports-were-regretful-sex/

And then you're now talking about a very powerful, successful person who is setting his legal team on you, and you start to consider all those followers, all those comments casting doubt in you disparaging you. It must be very daunting to take that challenge on, or continue it.

It is can also be difficult to prove rape in lots of scenarios, especially when it happens in a domestic setting. 

On a personal note, my mother worked for the women's refuge for years in the 90's and it was like the women were on their own. The authorities didn't seem to give a shit. Partners and abusers would find out where the refuge was and would come banging on the door with their mates demanding they hand the wife/girlfriend over. These women would have to leave the refuge because it was unsafe for them even there and they'd spend days on our sofa until other arrangements were made. This happened time and time again. If it wasn't for charities and services I don't know what they'd have done. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Gilly said:
    Shrews said:
    Gilly said:
    Shrews said:
    euan said:

But. 

Why not? 

So because that’s what you would do, that’s how  everyone else should act? There’s numerous reasons why someone might not report a sexual assault to the police. What I would do is completely irrelevant.
    It's very relevant if you've heard the stories, been told first-hand, witnessed it first-hand and, as the interviewee stated were from highly reputable sources. 

And yes, it is how EVERYBODY should act. Why the hell wouldn't you?

Worried about your mortgage like the interviewee perhaps? FFS. People like you make me sick. Sit back and do fuck all. 

Shrews said:
    Gilly said:
    Shrews said:
    Gilly said:
    Shrews said:
    euan said:

But. 

Why not? 

It's very relevant if you've heard the stories, been told first-hand, witnessed it first-hand and, as the interviewee stated were from highly reputable sources. 

And yes, it is how EVERYBODY should act. Why the hell wouldn't you?

Worried about your mortgage like the interviewee perhaps? FFS. People like you make me sick. Sit back and do fuck all. 

Seriously stop embarrassing yourself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Well, I for one am humbled by @Shrews' hypothetical sacrifice. If only everyone was a bit more like @Shrews ;
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter