Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Starting out in guitar building - There will be questions! - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Starting out in guitar building - There will be questions!

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    TTony said:

And another cheat, which I think actually looks better, is to use a ferrule block on the back. 
    In my eyes this isn’t a cheat. It’s a design improvement. The string ends are anchored more securely, and there’s no risk of individual ferrules falling out and getting lost during a string change. Anyone who’s had to change a string mid gig will know about this.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Wizzes all round.  Those ferrule blocks look the biz and might be the way to go, I wonder about whether the different densities of the various plugs and fillers would make drill bits want to wander so routing a straight channel might just make things a bit easier this time - I am determined that I will do ferrules at least once and get them right though! :lol:  

I bet the blocks look nice when set into the wood too.  Presumably you just make up a template from the outline and rout a cavity for it? Those above look like they have a lip - do you have that sitting proud like some ferrules I see, or have you been making a slightly larger rout at the top to have it flush?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Well that is just downright convenient! :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Well the template costs more than the insert - you better start some more builds to make it worth it ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I made my own templates ....

But buying them is cheaper than buying your own CNC to make them yourself
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Oh you nearly caught me out there. :D  The insert you linked is 10.5mm string spacing but my bridge is 10.8! 

https://northwestguitars.co.uk/products/wilkinson-wtb-telecaster-compatible-ash-tray-bridge-brass-saddles?variant=44261353914642

Check me out checking! I am learning! :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TTony said:
    I made my own templates ....

But buying them is cheaper than buying your own CNC to make them yourself
    :D
    I think I might try that too - the templates there are designed for use with a guide bushing rather than a bearing guided bit so I would need to get some of those too.  I will have a go at a template and see how I get on. 
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1246
    Should be easy enough to make templates, you have the router table which I use for straight edges - i stick a short piece of angled aluminium on the MDF for the bearing to ride on, but you can use a straight bit of wood. Bobbin sander is wonderful for the non-straight bits but you can use a file/sandpaper.
    If you have a short bearing bit and a thick enough template then you won't need to worry about the bushing or offsets.
    davros said:
    If you have a short bearing bit and a thick enough template then you won't need to worry about the bushing or offsets.
    That’s the plan. I think I will try and make the bigger outer one and then make the smaller one so it stacks on top with some index pins the way I should be able to rout the bigger one and then add the smaller template on top nice and centred because of the index pins. In my head that should work?
    A ferrule block template is one of the simplest things to make. 
    SteveF said:
    davros said:
    That’s the plan. I think I will try and make the bigger outer one and then make the smaller one so it stacks on top with some index pins the way I should be able to rout the bigger one and then add the smaller template on top nice and centred because of the index pins. In my head that should work?
    Good thinking!
    Roland said:
    A ferrule block template is one of the simplest things to make. 
    Don't forget that you need 2 templates, unless you want the lip to sit proud of the back of the body.  I always recess mine to keep it nice and smooth.
    I make my ferrule bars from 1/4” square section brass rod. There’s no lip.
    Roland said:
    I hope you make your own brass too?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Roland said:
    Can we see a pic? Bet they look cool in situ 
    So, the internet appears to be divided.  Fretting the neck - before or after carving the profile?
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    I do it before - so that I have a flat back to the neck and can either hammer or drill press the frets in more easily 
    PeteC said:
    I do it before - so that I have a flat back to the neck and can either hammer or drill press the frets in more easily 
    Or, if you've got a suitable support for the underside of the neck, you can shape first, fret second
    ;)
    I've done it both ways, prefer to do it after shaping even if its a bit fiddlier to get a good position at the transitions.

What I can't abide is fretting the board before its even attached... but some do, especially with Gibson style binding with nibs

I do it after. It means that I can clamp the neck to the bench without damaging the frets.
    I don't actually remember which I do first...maybe I've done a mixture on different builds! I think last time I mostly shaped the neck, fretted it, glued it in the finished the transitions at the ends.
    I do have one of these: 

Is that the main/only benefit of doing the frets first? I wondered about leaving them til after in case I messed up the carve and therefore wouldn't waste the fretwire. 
    Roland said:
    I do it after. It means that I can clamp the neck to the bench without damaging the frets.
    :+1:

SteveF said:
    I do have one of these: 
    One of those is what you need.
    :)
    SteveF said:
    I do have one of these: 

Cut a block of wood to go under the heel to match that
    ..  then the neck is fully supported when fretting above the transition from neck to heel
    Thanks Wez, will do :) 
    Got the headstock thicknessed and the transition from the fingerboard done today. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Question re: drill bits.  Is there a particular name for the long ones that have a straight shank except for the last few inches? I’m struggling to find via google. 
    What job is it for?