Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). PRS SE DGT - Anyone received theirs yet? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

PRS SE DGT - Anyone received theirs yet?

What's Hot

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    I'm very tempted buy a Goldtop, but I must say I don't really like the colour of the knobs. I'd probably change them to black.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited July 2023
    I'm very tempted buy a Goldtop, but I must say I don't really like the colour of the knobs. I'd probably change them to black.
    I get that and I'll probably put PRS Lampshades on mine and it brings up the 'classy level'. Locking tuners might also make it onto it  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    Does anyone else find the DGT control layout a bit weird? My core one was great but it was the controls that annoyed me in the end so I sold it.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109

My Coreline DGT Goldtop has got marks all the way along.

I think it looks weird on the SE because the wood is otherwise largely characterless. I like ot know I'm playing something organic!
    Me too.  I love it when wood looks woody.  So many guitars look like they were dipped and coated in a thick candy shell.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    Boromedic said:
    Does anyone else find the DGT control layout a bit weird? My core one was great but it was the controls that annoyed me in the end so I sold it.
    I've had 3 DGTs (2 Cores and now this one) and I've been tempted in the past to get it wired in the conventional way so the treble pickup ISN'T the 1st volume but I did get used to it. I'll see with this one

Edit: the treble pickup is where Grissom spends most of his time and so he wanted it to be easier to hand.
    Kebabkid said:
    Boromedic said:
    I've had 3 DGTs (2 Cores and now this one) and I've been tempted in the past to get it wired in the conventional way so the treble pickup ISN'T the 1st volume but I did get used to it. I'll see with this one
    Hope you figure it out! The 3 way switch annoyed me more than anything, would've been so much better with a Strat style switch!! But.... It's obviously his Sig guitar so he may have whatever the hell he wants!

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    @Boromedic - just add a Freeway switch, you can access all 6 tones that way and skip the push-pull too.
    @Boromedic - just add a Freeway switch, you can access all 6 tones that way and skip the push-pull too.
    Well I sold the guitar a long time ago, at the end of the day it's layout issue is more than the annoying switch position and the Freeway is great but again fiddly in use. I just got guitars that are equally as great if not better that worked for me ergonomically.

Grissom must like the layout as it's his guitar, if I was going to get something similar one day, I'd get a Custom 22.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    You can get PRS style lampshade knobs in packs of 4 for a tenner from Ali Express btw https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005299950713.html

A bit pricey but PRS charge £30 for just two https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/parts-c4/knobs-switch-tips-c102/knobs-c794/prs-lampshade-knob-2-pack-amber-p12897

Ali Express can be good for low value items even with long distance shipping
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    roberty said:
    You can get PRS style lampshade knobs in packs of 4 for a tenner from Ali Express btw https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005299950713.html

A bit pricey but PRS charge £30 for just two https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/parts-c4/knobs-switch-tips-c102/knobs-c794/prs-lampshade-knob-2-pack-amber-p12897

Another vote for those AliExpress ones - I bought a set for my SE HBII a few months ago and they're identical to the US models, albeit metric thread.

*edit* the ones I bought are metric, obviously you have the choice of either there in that listing!
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Frets: 68
    I've had my DGT SE for a couple of weeks now and I'm really impressed with it. I got mine from Peach and it seemed really well set-up with the excellent fretwork that's been mentioned in some of the reviews.
    I've done two gigs with it so far - one in a Steely Dan tribute, the other in a Floyd tribute - and it can cover all of those sounds nicely (if you're not too precious about using 'authentic' 335s, black strats etc!)

Once I decided it was a keeper I had the knobs changed as I thought the stock ones were abit too orangey. Also replaced the standard tuners with the  SE locking tuners (a direct fit). Not because the stock tuners are bad, but it's a versatile guitar and if it's the only one I take on some gigs without a backup it just helps with speedy string changes.

I managed to get the amber lampshade knobs from PRS UK at £14 for two. So for £28 you do end up with a redundant/spare 4th knob but at least not as expensive as the £30 for 2 which I've seen quoted. I'm happy with the choice and think they do definitely look classier than the stock ones...

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Stinkfoot said:
    I've had my DGT SE for a couple of weeks now and I'm really impressed with it. I got mine from Peach and it seemed really well set-up with the excellent fretwork that's been mentioned in some of the reviews.
    I've done two gigs with it so far - one in a Steely Dan tribute, the other in a Floyd tribute - and it can cover all of those sounds nicely (if you're not too precious about using 'authentic' 335s, black strats etc!)

Once I decided it was a keeper I had the knobs changed as I thought the stock ones were abit too orangey. Also replaced the standard tuners with the  SE locking tuners (a direct fit). Not because the stock tuners are bad, but it's a versatile guitar and if it's the only one I take on some gigs without a backup it just helps with speedy string changes.

I managed to get the amber lampshade knobs from PRS UK at £14 for two. So for £28 you do end up with a redundant/spare 4th knob but at least not as expensive as the £30 for 2 which I've seen quoted. I'm happy with the choice and think they do definitely look classier than the stock ones...

Great mods, I would do the EXACT same if i have one.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    I’ve played Stinkfoot’s DGT and it’s a belter. The build, neck, fretwork, pickups are all top notch - I’m a bit of a country of origin snob but there was nothing between this and many other high end USA / Japanese guitars we had access to at the same time. 
    dindude said:
    I’ve played Stinkfoot’s DGT and it’s a belter. The build, neck, fretwork, pickups are all top notch - I’m a bit of a country of origin snob but there was nothing between this and many other high end USA / Japanese guitars we had access to at the same time. 
    Ditto to all of that and it was the decider in getting my one.

The Top Hat knobs up the 'classy factor' and look great and nice one on the locking tuners, too.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Looks nice. I'm picking up a Goldtop SE DGT on Tuesday, I'll probably do the same tuners/knobs swap.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    I had an SE Hollowbody recently and I’m getting to know an S2 594 at the mo. Comparing the two levels of product I cannot see any increase in quality and of the two, the SE arrived with a far better setup. 

If you put the money into a U.S. model, it does stay there so it’s not a huge deal but actually worth the cost? I’d have to say no. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    roberty said:

Another vote for those AliExpress ones - I bought a set for my SE HBII a few months ago and they're identical to the US models, albeit metric thread.

*edit* the ones I bought are metric, obviously you have the choice of either there in that listing!
    Good to know. I actually really like the design. Very tactile
    @Stinkfoot When you say you got your knobs from PRS UK, do you an email address  for them?
    TIA 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Look on the PRS site - it's all on there.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    Brio said:
    @Stinkfoot When you say you got your knobs from PRS UK, do you an email address  for them?
    TIA 
    https://uk.prsaccessories.com/collections/parts-1
    grungebob said:
    Brio said:
    TIA 
    https://uk.prsaccessories.com/collections/parts-1
    and 'Out of Stock' :(
    Well I got my DGT as mentioned here

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/251507/ngd-prs-se-dgt#latest

And as I got the Aliexpress knob tip from here I decided to take a hit for the team and ordered locking tuners from there.
    Search aliexpress for Guyker front locking tuners. 
    I'll keep y'all informed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Brio said:

And as I got the Aliexpress knob tip from here I decided to take a hit for the team and ordered locking tuners from there.
    You can get Guyker on Amazon as well. Let us know how they are :-)
    Oops, I just bought one  =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Win.
    edited July 2023
    Can any of you owners put some pics up giving a better look at the top-carve profile please? It’s been really hard to figure out what it looks/feels like from what I’ve seen online already

*edit* i.e. where does it fall between the older SE topcarve and the Core topcarve?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    roberty said:
    Brio said:

You can get Guyker on Amazon as well. Let us know how they are :-)
    I’ve a set of Guyker lockers on a strat copy. 
    They hold pitch fine but you get what you pay for. Rough in use and made to the budget they’re sold for. As tuners to hold pitch they do they job just fine. 
    Nice =)
    So, the guitar will arrive sometime this week. I've also got some PRS SE locking tuners ar riving around the same time.

I'll give the guitar a whirl out-of-the box, then swap the tuners and put my prefered strings on (Curt Mangan Matt Schofield signatures)

I'll most likely swap out the knobs too as I think the original ones look a bit "orange" for my taste:

Are they a standard shaft size? Will Gibson knobs fit?

R.
    Great price (£849 new) on a goldtop one here at Sound Affects Music:

https://www.soundaffects.com/electric-guitars-c95/dgt-gold-top-w-moons-p21713

@Robinbowes - they’ll be metric pots, not the same splines as Gibson (imperial) knobs
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter