Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). PRS SE DGT - Anyone received theirs yet? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

PRS SE DGT - Anyone received theirs yet?

What's Hot

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    grungebob said:
    Ichris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    The construction for a DGT isn't any different to a MIM Player
    Yeah ok 
    I didn’t conflate the two there you did. 
    I said there was nothing special in its (meaning the SE DGT on its own not Vs a player series) to warrant the high cost. 

Exact words “nothing special in its design or construction that would warrant it to be more costly to produce” which is quite obviously incorrect isn’t it.
    No. There is nothing special with its design or construction that would warrant it to be costly to produce. 
    Both ESP and schecter and even reverend can produce a maple carved topped mahogany double humbucker guitar for less. 

You conflated that statement to compare the SE DGT v’s a player series Fender, I didn’t. 
    Want I did do was point out you can buy a Mexican made fender for under £600. 
    Enjoy your day. 
    With respect, it was yourself who mentioned a mim Fender. 
    I’m not very familiar with ESP and Schecter but I have read a lot of complaints about ESP build quality.
    Maybe the fact that the PRS SEs are shipped to the US for inspection and setup adds to the cost, maybe the woods are higher quality. 
    From my own experience, PRS QC is superior to most other brands who shift significant amounts.

Worth noting, epiphone are charging higher prices for some of their guitars and you can still pick up a PRS SE for under £500. Sound superb value to me.

2) you can  buy a made in Mexico fender for less than £600. Now the fender is less complex to make hence why you would think it’s cheaper but I imagine wage cost for a MIM fender would be higher than an Indonesian PRS SE.  So with all that said I’m surprised by the selling price of the SE and would have thought it could be sold for less and still make a good profit for PRS. 
    I think the consumer is being taken for a ride with the costs of most new guitars at the moment. 

Absolutely agree with this point. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    grungebob said:
    Ichris78 said:
    I did. Yes. They were two separate statements in my comment.  It seems they’ve been taken as the same argument so let me clarify. 
    Statement 1) nothing special in the DGTs construction to warrant the price. Other companies can make similar products in Korea for less money than PRS are charging.  Then I made statement 2. 
     2) you can  buy a made in Mexico fender for less than £600. Now the fender is less complex to make hence why you would think it’s cheaper but I imagine wage cost for a MIM fender would be higher than an Indonesian PRS SE.  So with all that said I’m surprised by the selling price of the SE and would have thought it could be sold for less and still make a good profit for PRS. 
    I think the consumer is being taken for a ride with the costs of most new guitars at the moment. 

Wood prices have increased by 200%.
    Dead easy to complain about high costs, but PRS, Fender, Gibson and every company exist to make money. From what I understand, they've absorbed a lot of their material price increases. Factor in wage growth, increase in overheads, not least fuel prices, transportation costs (which have gone off the scale, not helped by the issues in Suez) and it's hardly surprising guitars are way more expensive than they were.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    I think a far better question is why, if the SE is so good at around £950, what is so special about the non SE at three times the price?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    rlw said:
    I think a far better question is why, if the SE is so good at around £950, what is so special about the non SE at three times the price?
    4.53 times the price at Peach today - https://www.peachguitars.com/prs-dgt-mccarty-sunburst-with-birds.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    StefB said:
    rlw said:
    4.53 times the price at Peach today - https://www.peachguitars.com/prs-dgt-mccarty-sunburst-with-birds.htm

I stand corrected and I think my question is even more valid now....
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    rlw said:
    StefB said:
    rlw said:

better knots
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    bertie said:
    rlw said:
    StefB said:
    rlw said:

better knots

Maybe, maybe knot....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    If they simply dismantled Ian Elson guitars they'd have all the mismatched wood their hearts could dream of. I'd avoid the electronics though.
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 824
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    What's the deal with the fingerboards? Initially, these were a dark-regular colour. The latest pics I'm seeing, particularly on the Gold Tops, show them to be streaky. No likey :(
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11438
    chris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    Yeah ok 
    I said there was nothing special in its (meaning the SE DGT on its own not Vs a player series) to warrant the high cost. 

Exact words “nothing special in its design or construction that would warrant it to be more costly to produce” which is quite obviously incorrect isn’t it.
    No. There is nothing special with its design or construction that would warrant it to be costly to produce. 
    Both ESP and schecter and even reverend can produce a maple carved topped mahogany double humbucker guitar for less. 

You conflated that statement to compare the SE DGT v’s a player series Fender, I didn’t. 
    Enjoy your day. 
    I’m not very familiar with ESP and Schecter but I have read a lot of complaints about ESP build quality.
    Maybe the fact that the PRS SEs are shipped to the US for inspection and setup adds to the cost, maybe the woods are higher quality. 
    From my own experience, PRS QC is superior to most other brands who shift significant amounts.

Worth noting, epiphone are charging higher prices for some of their guitars and you can still pick up a PRS SE for under £500. Sound superb value to me.
    Unfortunately the SEs we get here are, apparently, sent straight to PRS Europe, without inspection at PRS headquarters. 

They are supposed to be inspected there, that's what the stuff in the box says

chris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    Yeah ok 

Enjoy your day. 

Unfortunately the SEs we get here are, apparently, sent straight to PRS Europe, without inspection at PRS headquarters. 
    I thought I read somewhere that all PRS SE guitars destined for Europe and the UK passed through a tech centre in the UK?

website seems to say Europe  HQ is in UK

PRS GUITARS EUROPE
    D1 Button End
    Harston
    Cambridgeshire
    CB22 7GX
    United Kingdom

T: 01223 874301

E: info@prsguitarseurope.com

• Kebabkid said:
    What's the deal with the fingerboards? Initially, these were a dark-regular colour. The latest pics I'm seeing, particularly on the Gold Tops, show them to be streaky. No likey :(
    Yes my recent goldtops fingerboard is noticeably lighter than the tobacco burst one I owned originally. I wouldn’t call it streaky on the Goldtop though, it’s just a lighter shade. It might just be how it photographs.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    Has anyone here compared one of these to the Core version yet? Enquiring minds want to know…
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    Has anyone here compared one of these to the Core version yet? Enquiring minds want to know…

I believe that John Cordy says in one of his videos that he actually preferred the SE.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 587
    @guitargeek62 @Blueingreen yeh I had a DGT core wood library that was kind of meh....
    The DGT SE is lighter, plays as good or better and didn't require a mortgage....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Intriguing indeed then, thanks @JohnCordy. I’ve played the core models plenty of times and I’ve loved every one I’ve tried. For some reason though I’ve still not bought one, so I’m thinking of consolidating a few HH guitars that I have. The SE version is hard to ignore, in part because of how impressed I’ve been with my SE HB2 model.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    I'm not personally in the market for a DGT.  I've owned and sold 2 core models and while they were great a two humbucker solid body isn't on my current wishlist.  I am intrigued by how the SE HB2 would compare to my Gibson 339 though.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    edited July 2023
    I was in the studio yesterday with a couple of friends and one of them had a newly acquired tobacco Sunburst, birds SE DGT. Having tried one in a shop and not been that impressed (poor set up and finishing), this one was a great example.

The finish, QC, darker fingerboard, not to mention the sound and playability, were top notch and having previously had 2 core DGTs, this one was easily up there with them and other than some different styling bits, it was virtually indistinguishable from them. In fact, I found the HB sound wasn't as dark as the core and was a tad sweeter without being harsh and I actually preferred the coil-tapped sounds, which had a lot of spank and essence of Tele. This is a versatile workhorse and it's like having a LP, Tele and something with its own nice character in one guitar.

We had some fine guitars with us in the studio, a Gibson LP Jr, FGN Masterfield, K-Line Strat, Harmony, Gibson 339, Godin Radium, EBMM Albert Lee (HH) and a high end custom-built HSS Superstrat and the DGT was the cheapest guitar in the room but it held its own.

Of late, the examples hitting the shops have been a little hit and I don't like the lighter, almost pau ferro  fingerboards, but when you get one as good as this, I really can't see why you'd want to pay £3.5K for a core model and this one was from Peach.

Another friend has a fine collection of quality guitars and gear but of late, he's been playing an SE Tremonti and can't fault it. If you're lucky to find a good example, it can save you a lot of money, both used or new. I also watched the Danish Pete, John Cordy etc vids where they were seriously impressed with their examples. If I can find me a nice Goldtop example with a dark board, I'm in!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Anyone else thinking about what new colours get announced end of this year/January 2024 before they bite the bullet & get one? 

Also am hoping that these 1st versions get discounted (probably wishful thinking), when the 2nd versions get released in January 2024.
    Given DG’s preferences, there’s probably not many new colours in the works for these! If I remember rightly, the first-year DGTs were only offered in goldtop, tobacco-burst, and black - so that’d be the one I’d expect to see next, if at all.

One or two of these colours would be appreciated  =)
    edited July 2023
    My one came in this week and I wanted a dark rosewood board and this example is almost like an ebony board and the moons are nice, too. The Frets are well finished off and rolled and the gold finish is nice and doesn't look too green or yellow and it sounds good and plays very well. 

I've had 2 core DGT's before, a 1989 CU24 and an EGII and I can't really tell any difference in quality between this one and those guitars and I actually prefer this one to my previous DGTs, especially the sounds and I'm dead chuffed with it :)

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It looks great @Kebabkid Visually the really dark fretboard makes a big difference.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Looks awesome Cos 
    duotone said:
    It looks great @Kebabkid Visually the really dark fretboard makes a big difference.
    I agree and I didn't want the pau ferro looking ones. Cheers 
  • Here’s mine with the lighter fretboard. It still looks really cool, sounds better, plays better and has more sustain than the tobacco burst one I had originally.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @JohnCordyJohn Cordy says 'Yay' and in a new vid, gives the SE DGT a hearty thumbs up. Thanks for the vid

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 587
    @Kebabkid sorry you had to endure that ha.
    But yes this guitar (bought from Peach) has been a revelation. Fantastic 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter