Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). PRS SE DGT - Anyone received theirs yet? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

PRS SE DGT - Anyone received theirs yet?

What's Hot
StratNutStratNut Frets: 47
I ordered the new PRS SE Goldtop in February, received it in March, sent it back same day as it had a bad - and very obvious and eye-catching - wood knot in the binding nearest the player.  It's now the middle of May and I'm still waiting for the replacement the retailer keeps promising.  I'm wondering if something's gone awry at PRS.  Examples have popped up on the internet of some glaring QC issues, which is doubly shocking since (1) the initial marketing focussed heavily on the partnership with Dave Grissom and his (and therefore PRS's) obsessive attention to details, and (2) to align with that, PRS's boast that the Cort-made DGTs are first shipped to PRS in the USA for final quality checks. Has PRS paused for thought?  Ha anyone else received theirs yet?   
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2170
    Did you take a pic of that?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited May 2023
    I had one for 2 days as well - bought from Thomann's B-Stocks... crap electronics, vibrating springs in the tremolo cavity. In the end I thought it didn't worth the investment.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    edited May 2023
    StratNut said:
    I ordered the new PRS SE Goldtop in February, received it in March, sent it back same day as it had a bad - and very obvious and eye-catching - wood knot in the binding nearest the player.  It's now the middle of May and I'm still waiting for the replacement the retailer keeps promising.  I'm wondering if something's gone awry at PRS.  Examples have popped up on the internet of some glaring QC issues, which is doubly shocking since (1) the initial marketing focussed heavily on the partnership with Dave Grissom and his (and therefore PRS's) obsessive attention to details, and (2) to align with that, PRS's boast that the Cort-made DGTs are first shipped to PRS in the USA for final quality checks. Has PRS paused for thought?  Ha anyone else received theirs yet?   
    Strongly doubt that any examples destined for outside of the USA are shipped there first. I presume that USA-bound (and maybe the rest of N America) ones will be fettled by PRS for QC, to some degree, but it doesn't make economic sense to send other territories' examples there. 

One would hope that PRS Europe would perform a similar QC process on models here, for example, but they are a distributor, not a guitar factory...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Do PRS UK still have a couple of guys here in the UK doing setup and checks on all the SE guitars? I know they used to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StratNutStratNut Frets: 47
    Strat54 said:
    PRS SE DGT Flaw - YouTube
    10reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I got a Core line one. 

It's expensive, but ultimately a bargain because I haven't been interested in buying guitars since I bought it about 8 years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    StratNut said:
    Strat54 said:

Got to say I think that is not such a big deal.  They're not going to chuck a body away just because there is a natural blemish in the wood.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    rlw said:
    StratNut said:
    Strat54 said:

Got to say I think that is not such a big deal.  They're not going to chuck a body away just because there is a natural blemish in the wood.
    I can understand that bothering some that want perfection but I’m with you , I’d see that as a bit quirky and what you’d expect when working with wood tbh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Personally I'd send it back but agree that it's a natural material so it's more about my pickiness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    I don't have a problem with that at all, so I wouldn't have sent it back. Personal choice for sure, but that was not something I would have an issue with. 
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    StratNut said:
    Strat54 said:

You're kidding, right?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Not something that would bother me, but I can see why you'd send it back if you thought the replacement would be immediate.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    StratNut said:
    Strat54 said:
    Each to their own but not sure why so many people LOL'd that. They weren't going to throw the body away. It's a flaw in the binding and should have been spotted during the gluing process. To be fair it sticks out like a sore thumb and on a new guitar would irk me slightly. After a few knocks less so obviously. On a darker coloured guitar is wouldn't have been so bad.  

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Devil#20 said:

Each to their own but not sure why so many people LOL'd that. They weren't going to throw the body away. It's a flaw in the binding and should have been spotted during the gluing process. 
    I’m guessing that the LOLs indicate whether people think that it was a valid reason for rejecting the guitar.

I think it’s natural edge binding, so you see the characteristics of the maple top revealed in the unfinished edge.  That mark is part of the natural features of the wood - just the same as the grain lines that you can also see.  You might equally reject a guitar because the grain lines weren’t straight, or showing an agreeable pattern.

It’s a matter of opinion, obviously, but I’d rather have a feature that evidenced the natural materials being used than, for example, an aesthetically “perfect” strip of binding plastic instead.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    edited May 2023
    TTony said:
    Devil#20 said:

Each to their own but not sure why so many people LOL'd that. They weren't going to throw the body away. It's a flaw in the binding and should have been spotted during the gluing process. 
    I’m guessing that the LOLs indicate whether people think that it was a valid reason for rejecting the guitar.

I think it’s natural edge binding, so you see the characteristics of the maple top revealed in the unfinished edge.  That mark is part of the natural features of the wood - just the same as the grain lines that you can also see.  You might equally reject a guitar because the grain lines weren’t straight, or showing an agreeable pattern.

It’s a matter of opinion, obviously, but I’d rather have a feature that evidenced the natural materials being used than, for example, an aesthetically “perfect” strip of binding plastic instead.
    I get that @TTony but we all have a threshold to these things depending on your level of OCD. I think there's a video on Richards Guitars of a flamed maple top back and sides hollow body guitar that had a minor dark blemish on it and Richard didn't spot it but agreed it wasn't acceptable. It was a horrendously expensive guitar though and had taken 6 months to make. They had to make the customer another one. You've got me worried now. I'm now off to measure the spacing and straightness of the grain on the Adirondack acoustic top on the guitar I've just bought.  :)

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    StratNut said:
    Strat54 said:
    Yeah fair enough, its a new guitar.....should have been classed as B stock maybe. I know some people wouldn't bother but ultimately if it annoys you from the outset then it will always bug you. Your call. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I quite like it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    edited May 2023
    I’ve been FAR too picky in the past but that’s on basses that would in current day be £2.5k +.

I wouldn’t expect that on an easily seen place of a PRS core, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see it on an S2, so SE I wouldn’t even be slightly concerned.

It’s your guitar so you have to be happy! But with it being an SE you are buying a mass produced instrument. It’s reveal binding so it’s part of the top not added binding. 

No matter how PRS market them, they are mass produced and potentially, in 2023 a little overpriced.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    I think it's a cracker looking guitar - even with the little knot.

Somebody must have taken a call at the factory that it wasn't worth binning a a blank body with such a small blemish. I'd have tended to agree with them.
  • YourArsenal87YourArsenal87 Frets: 243
    StratNut said:
    Strat54 said:
    That really is not a QC issue. There’s nothing wrong with that at all. It’s your prerogative to be picky as a buyer, of course, and get something you like the look of, but that doesn’t reflect on the QC.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    I’d have sent that back too. 
    It’s not a structural issue, the guitar would be 100% ok but it sticks out a mile against the pale maple and gold top. 
    Given the price of the guitar I’m amazed how many people have said they’d give PRS a pass on this one. 
    If I’m paying £1000+ for a guitar itd better be perfect. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    roberty said:
    I quite like it
    Wood being wood…I’ve got a lovely one on a Nik Huber!
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    All other things being equal, I’d have chosen that one over another that didn’t have a distinguishing feature. As for our random foibles when it comes to attraction and aesthetics, we all have at least one or two don’t we. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    stonevibe said:
    I don't have a problem with that at all, so I wouldn't have sent it back. Personal choice for sure, but that was not something I would have an issue with. 
    Me neither - it's just a natural feature of the wood.

That said, it isn't my money.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader

My Coreline DGT Goldtop has got marks all the way along.

I think it looks weird on the SE because the wood is otherwise largely characterless. I like ot know I'm playing something organic!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100

My Coreline DGT Goldtop has got marks all the way along.

I think it looks weird on the SE because the wood is otherwise largely characterless. I like ot know I'm playing something organic!
    Looks great! Natural
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Surely that’s just a feature of wood being wood?
     That’s in no way a QC issue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 839
    I’d have kept it and actually picked that one if I had the choice. A little quirk that I think adds to it. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6730
    Actual quality control is done by the end user, ie us. 

What a business (be it the factory, distribution centre or retailer) deems as acceptable is far below what our acceptable standards are as the buyer, in particular as enthusiasts. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited May 2023
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    image.png 148K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter