Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). PRS SE DGT - Anyone received theirs yet? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

PRS SE DGT - Anyone received theirs yet?

What's Hot

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Looks like it’s still in stock @mrkb (currently 6:15pm)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4445

It wouldn’t bother me, but I do like the way Peach for example show actual guitars.  Some look better than others, but that’s more relevant for me on natural top guitars.

Weight is much more important for me.  Last guitar I got I saved 2lbs by asking different shops what they had in. Not bothered about wood blemishes but I make sure guitars are generally less that 8lb.

I don’t class this guitar as a QC issue, the core above has the same.  Natural wood binding looks like natural wood.   Doesn’t mean you don’t have the right to sift through and find a pleasing one, but I don’t think it’s fair to say this is representative of a QC issue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 3884
    I've been looking around at getting one of the last gen SE 245s or maybe even a new SE McCarty - but the uniformity of the body wood is appalling on a lot of the UK stock right now. Really horrible mismatching pieces when you look at the back of the guitars.

The two older SEs I've owned were nothing like that. 

I don't want perfection. I actually like interesting wood. But there's some right shockers here: https://www.peachguitars.com/prs-se-245-vintage-sunburst.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    huh, that's not even down the center of the guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    huh, that's not even down the center of the guitar.
    Generally they won't be unless a guitar is a 2-piece body - that one seems to be a 3pc (check the toggle cavity).

I don't see an issue with 3pc bodies or more per se, but I do agree that it'd be nice for the pieces to be better matched where practicable. 
    Look at some of the others, I wasn't linking just to the first on the page, they have nine of that model in stock and all are a bit nasty in some way. 

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1555
    edited May 2023

That's awful. I clicked on the link all righteously thinking about people expecting far to much from a 'budget' line... but that's crap.

Don't mind a slight mismatch, natural variations in wood etc. but that looks like someone has photoshopped 2 separate guitars together and the camera was out of focus when they took the picture of the top half. Makes me feel either drunk or like I'm having a migraine looking at it.

Edit - also the brightness of the G string compared with the D just makes it look like 2 photos cropped together.
  • willowillo Frets: 240
    I've been looking around at getting one of the last gen SE 245s or maybe even a new SE McCarty - but the uniformity of the body wood is appalling on a lot of the UK stock right now. Really horrible mismatching pieces when you look at the back of the guitars.

The two older SEs I've owned were nothing like that. 

I don't want perfection. I actually like interesting wood. But there's some right shockers here: https://www.peachguitars.com/prs-se-245-vintage-sunburst.htm
    Some of that looks like stripey pyjamas from the 1980s. Just paint it if you can't match it. The fronts aren't great either, which surprises me if they're using veneer.
    Given this model isn't made any more it's perhaps all the ones they couldn't sell. I had a PRS SE 245 in the past and that had a beautiful bookmatched top, and the body pieces worked well together too. . 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    edited May 2023
    Looks like Peach have the SE DGT Goldtop in stock now (£979): https://www.peachguitars.com/prs-se-dgt-goldtop-with-moons.htm
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 186
    Im of the opinion that the knot in the wood in the OP is definitely not a QA issue. If I had the choice, I’d rather have something like that which shows the individual nature of the wood, rather than a nondescript guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StratNutStratNut Frets: 47
    edited June 2023
    Some more are now coming into the country. I tend to buy from retailers that have photos of actual stock, e.g. Peach and Guitar Village.  I once asked Gear4Music for some actual photos of a guitar and they refused.  So I won't be using them again...
    It's interesting that those now arriving are exhibiting 'streaky bacon' fingerboards - cf. the Peach ones.  And yet all the advance review copies in YT videos have nice, dark, consistent fingerboard colouring.  I notice the one at Peach with a consistent dark fretboard sold within a couple of days.
    When I spend a grand on a guitar I expect to have it just the way I want it, and 'streaky bacon' fretboards are another pet hate of mine.  And yet I know some folks actually prefer 'streaky bacon' figuring!  Chacun a son gout.  =)     
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StratNut said:
    Strat54 said:
    Did you take a pic of that?
    PRS SE DGT Flaw - YouTube
    That's the sort of thing I look for in a guitar. In a field of 1000 other DGT's yours would stand out. I understand why you're not keen but I like it! 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    StratNut said:
    Some more are now coming into the country. I tend to buy from retailers that have photos of actual stock, e.g. Peach and Guitar Village.  I once asked Gear4Music for some actual photos of a guitar and they refused.  So I won't be using them again...
    It's interesting that those now arriving are exhibiting 'streaky bacon' fingerboards - cf. the Peach ones.  And yet all the advance review copies in YT videos have nice, dark, consistent fingerboard colouring.  I notice the one at Peach with a consistent dark fretboard sold within a couple of days.
    When I spend a grand on a guitar I expect to have it just the way I want it, and 'streaky bacon' fretboards are another pet hate of mine.  And yet I know some folks actually prefer 'streaky bacon' figuring!  Chacun a son gout.  =)     
    I still think they are overpriced. £600 max.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StratNut said:
    I originally got a Tobacco burst one from peach, I ended up moving it on, not really sure why as it played and sounded great. I think they have really knocked it out the park with this model, I don’t think there is anything that can get close to it around the price point.

My Goldtop version arrived this week!!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    StratNut said:

There was an article in Guitarist magazine a while ago - when the SE DGT was announced I think - where one of the PRS Europe people stated that in order to have maintained their profitability position pre covid, prices would have needed to rise by at least 25%.  They limited it to 10%.  That was twelve months ago and everything guitar manufacturing based has gone up in price.

I think £600 is a ridiculous amount to suggest. 
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    edited June 2023
    rlw said:
    StratNut said:
    When I spend a grand on a guitar I expect to have it just the way I want it, and 'streaky bacon' fretboards are another pet hate of mine.  And yet I know some folks actually prefer 'streaky bacon' figuring!  Chacun a son gout.      

There was an article in Guitarist magazine a while ago - when the SE DGT was announced I think - where one of the PRS Europe people stated that in order to have maintained their profitability position pre covid, prices would have needed to rise by at least 25%.  They limited it to 10%.  That was twelve months ago and everything guitar manufacturing based has gone up in price.

Well not really is it?  £600 is enough to get you a Revstar standard- better specs too, a whole host of Ibanez semi bodies, schecter and ESP Ltds plus SE custom 24’s.  You can even get MIM fender player series for less. 
    To say a SE DGT is worth any more I think is nuts. There’s nothing special in its design or construction that would warrant it to be more costly to produce. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    The construction for a DGT isn't any different to a MIM Player
    Yeah ok  :#
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    Cost aside, I’m genuinely considering chopping in my S2 594 DC and picking one of these up instead. I already have 5 twin HB hardtail guitars, and another one on the way in September, so the trem might make more sense for variety.

Hopefully I’ll be able to check one out over the summer, otherwise plan B is selling the 594 and buying/building a Core-series DGT.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    grungebob said:
    rlw said:
    StratNut said:
    When I spend a grand on a guitar I expect to have it just the way I want it, and 'streaky bacon' fretboards are another pet hate of mine.  And yet I know some folks actually prefer 'streaky bacon' figuring!  Chacun a son gout.      

Well not really is it?  £600 is enough to get you a Revstar standard- better specs too, a whole host of Ibanez semi bodies, schecter and ESP Ltds plus SE custom 24’s.  You can even get MIM fender player series for less. 
    To say a SE DGT is worth any more I think is nuts. There’s nothing special in its design or construction that would warrant it to be more costly to produce. 

Apart from the neck which is a new profile for PRS.   And the sheer amount of time which went into it in order to satisfy DG himself.  Without that, it wouldn't exist.

And while you can get a brand new SE Custom 24 for £599, it's a discontinued model in an unpopular colour or old stock.  New ones are around £850.00.

What it's worth is what it will, successfully, sell for so the pricing seems about right to me.

And I won't be getting one as I'm now through my PRS stage and will be selling them all.

I did say no more Strats too, but guess what's arriving tomorrow.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    chris78 said:
    I didn’t conflate the two there you did. 
    I said there was nothing special in its (meaning the SE DGT on its own not Vs a player series) to warrant the high cost. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    rlw said:
    StratNut said:

I would be careful reading into what is said by company employees - they are obviously going to say the right thing to please customers/the market. 

I'm quite frankly bored of seeing PRS SE and Epiphones £900+ (some £1300+!), more so when they have import electronics.  If that is the market, then I'm glad I'm not in the market. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    I said there was nothing special in its (meaning the SE DGT on its own not Vs a player series) to warrant the high cost. 

Exact words “nothing special in its design or construction that would warrant it to be more costly to produce” which is quite obviously incorrect isn’t it.
    edited June 2023
    chris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    Yeah ok 

Exact words “nothing special in its design or construction that would warrant it to be more costly to produce” which is quite obviously incorrect isn’t it.
    No. There is nothing special with its design or construction that would warrant it to be costly to produce. 
    Both ESP and schecter and even reverend can produce a maple carved topped mahogany double humbucker guitar for less. 

You conflated that statement to compare the SE DGT v’s a player series Fender, I didn’t. 
    Want I did do was point out you can buy a Mexican made fender for under £600. 
    Enjoy your day. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    They are well made, but I agree that they are overpriced compared to other major brands.
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    Yeah ok 

No. There is nothing special with its design or construction that would warrant it to be costly to produce. 
    Both ESP and schecter and even reverend can produce a maple carved topped mahogany double humbucker guitar for less. 

You conflated that statement to compare the SE DGT v’s a player series Fender, I didn’t. 
    Enjoy your day. 
    With respect, it was yourself who mentioned a mim Fender. 
    I’m not very familiar with ESP and Schecter but I have read a lot of complaints about ESP build quality.
    Maybe the fact that the PRS SEs are shipped to the US for inspection and setup adds to the cost, maybe the woods are higher quality. 
    From my own experience, PRS QC is superior to most other brands who shift significant amounts.

Worth noting, epiphone are charging higher prices for some of their guitars and you can still pick up a PRS SE for under £500. Sound superb value to me.
    chris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    Yeah ok 

Enjoy your day. 
    I’m not very familiar with ESP and Schecter but I have read a lot of complaints about ESP build quality.
    Maybe the fact that the PRS SEs are shipped to the US for inspection and setup adds to the cost, maybe the woods are higher quality. 
    From my own experience, PRS QC is superior to most other brands who shift significant amounts.

Worth noting, epiphone are charging higher prices for some of their guitars and you can still pick up a PRS SE for under £500. Sound superb value to me.
    Unfortunately the SEs we get here are, apparently, sent straight to PRS Europe, without inspection at PRS headquarters. 
  • chris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    Yeah ok 

Enjoy your day. 

Unfortunately the SEs we get here are, apparently, sent straight to PRS Europe, without inspection at PRS headquarters. 
    I thought I read somewhere that all PRS SE guitars destined for Europe and the UK passed through a tech centre in the UK?
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 587
    @kennedydream1980 yeh they all have a Prs guitars Europe sticker on them (or 5 or 6 that I've tried have)
    edited June 2023
    Ichris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    grungebob said:
    chris78 said:
    Yeah ok 

Enjoy your day. 

I did. Yes. They were two separate statements in my comment.  It seems they’ve been taken as the same argument so let me clarify. 
    Statement 1) nothing special in the DGTs construction to warrant the price. Other companies can make similar products in Korea for less money than PRS are charging.  Then I made statement 2. 
     2) you can  buy a made in Mexico fender for less than £600. Now the fender is less complex to make hence why you would think it’s cheaper but I imagine wage cost for a MIM fender would be higher than an Indonesian PRS SE.  So with all that said I’m surprised by the selling price of the SE and would have thought it could be sold for less and still make a good profit for PRS. 
    I think the consumer is being taken for a ride with the costs of most new guitars at the moment. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter