Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    Here's the final song list, unless anyone spots any errors.

Things to watch out for

'Talk Dirty To Me' is in F# a semitone lower than the original, which I believe is at the request of @bobblehat (correct me if I'm wrong)
    So a heads up to @mart and @Vibetronic ;;;

'Lil' Devil' is in C#, a semitone lower than the original, which I believe is at the request of @bobblehat (correct me if I'm wrong)
    So a heads up to @mart and @Brocco ;;;

If the above two cause any problems, there's the option of tuning down a semitone. I'll bring a couple of spare guitars that can be tuned down if required. I'll also bring a bass that could be tuned down.

I believe @roberty is OK with 'The Boys Are Back In Town' is in A, which makes life easier and avoids tuning down a semitone.
     @Neilybob and @Brocco do you need to agree who takes the top harmony line and who takes the bottom harmony line or are we just going to wing it ?  I can help if needed because I've played it before and have a chart I created for it.

https://i.imgur.com/ceO6ToG.png

@stratman3142 it would be interesting to see your chart, especially for the outro. @Neilybob, so far I have been focused on learning the lower harmony as it seems to be the easier of the two  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Brocco said:

I believe @roberty is OK with 'The Boys Are Back In Town' is in A, which makes life easier and avoids tuning down a semitone.
     @Neilybob and @Brocco do you need to agree who takes the top harmony line and who takes the bottom harmony line or are we just going to wing it ?  I can help if needed because I've played it before and have a chart I created for it...

@stratman3142 it would be interesting to see your chart, especially for the outro. @Neilybob, so far I have been focused on learning the lower harmony as it seems to be the easier of the two  ;)
    To be honest, I've just notated the start of the outro harmony, then written 'keep going up', as I couldn't be bothered to notate the whole section :)

There are some tutorials on YouTube.

But I'll email you what I've got, as I think I've still got your email from previously.

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • oops - forgot I put myself in for Champagne Supernova... I'd best get learning that loop :mrgreen: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    oops - forgot I put myself in for Champagne Supernova... I'd best get learning that loop :mrgreen: 

The challenge is to stay awake. The bass part to Comfortably Numb is a particular challenge in this regard
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lol, too true indeed - there was a good reason for me to skip that one! :sleeping: 

I'm assuming you'll cover the lead parts throughout CS? I'll bring my HBII, that way I can give you two rythm tones for support at once if I run the piezo direct into FoH (and probably back the tone off a bit), with the mags going into something crunchy as & when needed
    lol, too true indeed - there was a good reason for me to skip that one! :sleeping: 

I'm assuming you'll cover the lead parts throughout CS? I'll bring my HBII, that way I can give you two rythm tones for support at once if I run the piezo direct into FoH (and probably back the tone off a bit), with the mags going into something crunchy as & when needed
    I'm doing bass on CS
  • oops, meant to tag that at @Neilybob ;
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited October 2023
    roberty said:
    oops - forgot I put myself in for Champagne Supernova... I'd best get learning that loop mrgreen 

The challenge is to stay awake. The bass part to Comfortably Numb is a particular challenge in this regard
    I don't mind dropping Comfortably Numb, if there's no enthusiasm for it. I've played it so many times.

It's not a competition.
    roberty said:
    oops - forgot I put myself in for Champagne Supernova... I'd best get learning that loop mrgreen 

I don't mind dropping Comfortably Numb, if there's no enthusiasm for it. I've played it so many times.

Let's see how we go. I was amused to learn this week that Gilmour played the bass parts on the Animals studio recordings
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

Let's see how we go. I was amused to learn this week that Gilmour played the bass parts on the Animals studio recordings
    I'd be happy to take the bass part on Comfy if somebody else wants to strum some chords. I'll be bringing a fretless for the Bad Company stuff, and thought that might work well on Comfy and make it more fun to play.
    edited October 2023
    I've ended up with quite a few songs with improvised guitar solos. Well at least I'll be improvising and not playing things note for note, as my memory isn't that good

It would be good to take turns and share things out. So if anyone fancies a go at some of the solos on songs I'm doing, I'll step aside or revert to rhythm.

For example:
    'Call Me The Breeze' and 'Keep Your Hands To Yourself' are just 12 bar type songs in A, so they're good for improvising over. 

Also, I'm happy to stand aside for the Outro solo on Comfortably Numb, if anyone else fancies a go.

It's not a competition.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    All sounds great - I should be there c.11-1130 once we've got our daughter up and through the bath! Gear-wise I'll have my AX8 again, but have a big Fender Champion now that I used as a power amp instead of a frfr.....anyone welcome to use but sounds like there'll be loads of stuff there. Oh and a couple of guitars, but @stratman3142 I might take you up to the Eb tuned one for the Poison song :)
    Btw for anyone coming from north of Bristol down the m5 ( @Brocco for one!), the traffic there is particularly crap at the moment. As far as I recall it's nearer Cribbs - roadworks making it go down to one lane, taken me ages to get through on a couple of recent trips - but the tailbacks went back quite a long way....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    cheers @Vibetronic, I experienced that myself yesterday, and whilst travelling along at a glacial pace, I had time to read the advance notice announcing that the M48 Severn Bridge is closed for this entire weekend, which may be worth knowing for @bobblehat and @mart.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    Brocco said:
    cheers @Vibetronic, I experienced that myself yesterday, and whilst travelling along at a glacial pace, I had time to read the advance notice announcing that the M48 Severn Bridge is closed for this entire weekend, which may be worth knowing for @bobblehat and @mart.
    Thanks for heads-up, but hopefully the M4 bridge and M49 will be open.
    Brocco said:
    No worries. Having posted that, I’ve somewhat belatedly realised that I may have to change my own departure time a bit!
    edited October 2023
    Just checking the key of 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' with @Neilybob ;@Vibetronic and @roberty to make sure everyone's learned it in the same key.

On my song list, I put the key of F#m for 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love'. Can I just double check that, as there a versions in Gm?

I'm pretty certain we did it in F#m previously.
    It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Make Rob sing it as high as possible ;) his delivery is superb.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m really looking forward to meeting eveyone!
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    edited October 2023
    Same! It’ll be my first tFB/MR group meetup in a loooooooooong time.

Also rather looking forward to making some proper noise too, as it’s been about six years since I last played* with others

*Guitar
  • Oooh - shall we do name badges? I’m useless with names but I’ll recognise your handles/usernames :mrgreen: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Just checking the key of 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' with @Neilybob ;, @Vibetronic and @roberty to make sure everyone's learned it in the same key.

On my song list, I put the key of F#m for 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love'. Can I just double check that, as there a versions in Gm?

I'm pretty certain we did it in F#m previously.
    That’s the first chord I have so all good :)
    I am really bad at names
    mrkb said:
    Make Rob sing it as high as possible ;) his delivery is superb.
    Might be a bit less screechy if I'm not trying to play the riff at the same time
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    edited October 2023
    Apologies all, I can't make it to this jam. 
  • Neilybob said:
    That's a pity after you were the one to drive things to make it happen, which is much appreciated. So thanks for making it happen.

Hope to see you at the next one.

It's not a competition.
    Neilybob said:
    No worries mate. We will catch you next time
  • Neilybob said:
    Aw, crap.  Hope everything's OK, dude.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Neilybob said:
    Bad luck mate, you’ll be missed. Hope everything is ok.
    My route is now telling me to  avoid the m5 so will take slightly longer (although I suspect if I did take the motorway I’d be even later!). Still hope to be there c.1130 but potentially may be slightly later. We are moving relatively quickly for a Saturday morning though!