Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited September 2023
    roberty said:
    @Neilybob ;; should I put out a last call for those songs with two or more roles still empty?

Just vocals needed? I can step in if there are no other takers
    What all 5, currently missing vocals?

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    @Neilybob ;; should I put out a last call for those songs with two or more roles still empty?

@roberty ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Neilybob said:
    roberty said:

@roberty ?
    Sorry, yeah. Just a bit of singing innit 
    edited September 2023
    OK. I've added @roberty on vocals for 

Rocking In The Free World
    Alright Now
    Feel Like Making Love
    Wishing Well
    I Love Rock n' Roll

The songs in white (unfilled) still lack a full line-up

**Image removed. See more recent post for the latest update of the song list**

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Anyone know how knackered I’ll be after 28 songs ? ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkb said:

And some we'll be playing a few times. I think we'll need to take plenty of breaks for you.

I was worried we might not have enough. Do we need to think about dropping some now?

It's not a competition.
    edited September 2023
    mrkb said:
    Anyone know how knackered I’ll be after 28 songs ?

And some we'll be playing a few times. I think we'll need to take plenty of breaks for you.

I was worried we might not have enough. Do we need to think about dropping some now?

Should be fine, there’s only a few on the list that are tricky for me - On a plane , Die laughing and Pretty Vacant are fast tricky kick patterns and those are the only bits I’ll struggle with. As long as we space them out and start with a few easier kick/snare/kick/snare type songs I should warm up ok
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Pop me on second guitar for Die Laughing please
    mrkb said:
    On a scale of 1-10, probably 28
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    roberty said:
    mrkb said:
    Will someone drive me home if I can’t lift my arms afterwards? It’s only 120 miles…..
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    roberty said:
    mrkb said:
    Will someone drive me home if I can’t lift my arms afterwards? It’s only 120 miles…..
    I can get you to Reading!

Do you have adaptive cruise control and long legs? 
    Neilybob said:
    mrkb said:
    roberty said:
    mrkb said:
    I can get you to Reading!

Do you have adaptive cruise control and long legs? 
    Automatic, adaptive cruise control, and a drumstick on the accelerator- I’ll be fine ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • 30 DAYS TO GO!!!!! 
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    Are there any non-drum songs we can add? I recall somebody sang That's Entertainment at one of the earlier Bristol jams.

Also, I'm happy to play bass on Teenage Kicks, so if we can get a singer for that and On a Plain then that's two more complete line-ups. I know @roberty sang On a Plain last time - could you manage both? If so, would it help if we dropped one or two of the others. Eg, there seems to be a lot of Free/Bad Company...
  • mart said:
    Are there any non-drum songs we can add? I recall somebody sang That's Entertainment at one of the earlier Bristol jams.

Also, I'm happy to play bass on Teenage Kicks, so if we can get a singer for that and On a Plain then that's two more complete line-ups. I know @roberty sang On a Plain last time - could you manage both? If so, would it help if we dropped one or two of the others. Eg, there seems to be a lot of Free/Bad Company...
    The Live from Dakota version of Maybe Tomorrow is a potential "interlude" track, just vocals and guitar (a repeating 4 chord sequence). We could go mad and add bass!

Along with considering if some tracks should be dropped, maybe everyone could name all the tracks (for which we have volunteers for all roles) that they would like to play on but aren't down for yet, so we have a full picture of the number of potential run throughs for each tune (gives us the best chance of ensuring that everyone gets a fair crack and also to think about what is reasonable to ask of @mrkb).
  • roberty said:
    Neilybob said:
    roberty said:
    Neilybob said:
    Brocco said:
    Neilybob said:
    We are about 9 weeks out now. 

How early can we book the studio and which studio are we booking? 

don't believe we have committed to a venue - probably a good idea for everyone who is attending to chip in with their preferred studio given how close we are to the date....
    I believe @roberty is our venue booking chap and I think we preferred the larger room at Factory Studios I believe?

What’s the earliest we can book Roberty? 
    Factory is a pain to book because they only take bookings from 28 or fewer days in advance. I could schedule an email to send at 12:01am

We went to Firebird last time which was fine, a bit more casual admin-wise. They have decent coffee there too. They run a music school during the day on Saturdays so it's quite a wholesome atmosphere
    So are you booking Firebird? When do you need the dosh and how much? 
    Yeah sure let me sort it out. I'll get a quote. From memory it's £125ish
    @roberty did you get a quote for Firebird? With less than 30 days to go I think we need to get a room booked asap. 
    I’ve just run through 25 of the songs back-to-back in about 2 hours (had to stop for a wee and couldn’t face going back to the drum kit to do the last three), so think it’ll be ok on the day, but I don’t want to take any more songs on. 

Surprisingly I was suffering with concentration issues rather than physical, but my kick drum leg wasn’t obeying my brain in a few songs ;)

Is a venue now booked? 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Neilybob said:
    roberty said:
    Neilybob said:
    roberty said:
    Neilybob said:
    Brocco said:
    Neilybob said:
    We are about 9 weeks out now. 

How early can we book the studio and which studio are we booking? 

don't believe we have committed to a venue - probably a good idea for everyone who is attending to chip in with their preferred studio given how close we are to the date....
    I believe @roberty is our venue booking chap and I think we preferred the larger room at Factory Studios I believe?

What’s the earliest we can book Roberty? 
    Factory is a pain to book because they only take bookings from 28 or fewer days in advance. I could schedule an email to send at 12:01am

We went to Firebird last time which was fine, a bit more casual admin-wise. They have decent coffee there too. They run a music school during the day on Saturdays so it's quite a wholesome atmosphere
    So are you booking Firebird? When do you need the dosh and how much? 
    Yeah sure let me sort it out. I'll get a quote. From memory it's £125ish
    @roberty did you get a quote for Firebird? With less than 30 days to go I think we need to get a room booked asap. 
    Any update @roberty ;
    Am trying to sort out travel logistics with my wife (who want to drive into Weston supermare once I’ve dropped off at venue). Which venue has been booked and from what time?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Am trying to sort out travel logistics with my wife (who want to drive into Weston supermare once I’ve dropped off at venue). Which venue has been booked and from what time?
    Firebird 10-6 mate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    roberty said:
    mrkb said:
    Firebird 10-6 mate
    Great, thanks Rob!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • roberty said:
    mrkb said:
    Firebird 10-6 mate
    Thanks Roberty. Front page and thread title updated. 

How much do we owe each?
  • @roberty would it be OK for you if we play The Boys Are Back in Amaj (in standard tuning)?
    Brocco said:
    @roberty would it be OK for you if we play The Boys Are Back in Amaj (in standard tuning)?
    No problem at all mate
  • 20 days to go!!
    edited September 2023
    @roberty what do we each owe you for the studio booking?

It's not a competition.
  • @roberty what do we each owe you for the studio booking?

...and what the best method of payment for you?

Best wishes,
    Ben.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
    @roberty what do we each owe you for the studio booking?

...and what the best method of payment for you?

Best wishes,
    Ben.
    Just sorting now bear with
    It's £120 for the day, I will start a group chat with everyone on the list
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Do we need another roll call to confirm who's coming, so we know the number of participants?

It's not a competition.