Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    mart said:
    I can play That's Entertainment, either on bass or guitar - two guitars might work best?
    Studio recording is acoustic guitar and bass AFAI remember

mart said:
    roberty said:
    Do we need a bass amp?
    I'll be bringing my tiny bass amp along, so it depends if everyone is happy to use that or if anyone wants a bigger/different sound.
    If you're happy I'm happy. I've put a normal pickup in my P Bass now. The Dimarzio was problematically loud
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited October 2023
    Does the bass amp have a line out? If so I can take a line in to my mixing desk and feed it into the PA if needed, I think the room PA had a good set of subs.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Does anyone want to play some chords (Rhythm/2nd Guitar) under my lead guitar on the outro to Let's Dance? It's just 4 chords.

I can post the chord voicings, although there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube.
    It's not a competition.
  • Does anyone want to play some chords (Rhythm/2nd Guitar) under my lead guitar on the outro to Let's Dance? It's just 4 chords.

I can post the chord voicings, although there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube.
    I’ll happily have a bash and do my best if that’s helpful?
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.

I’ll happily have a bash and do my best if that’s helpful?
    Great. These are the chord voicings I use for the outro. It's just the outro that needs it, but you can play along throughout the song if you want to.

https://i.imgur.com/cJbfTnl.png

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Btw. @Bennyboy-UK are you OK covering 'On A Plain' without a second guitar, as there's nobody in the role at the moment?

It's not a competition.
    Btw. @Bennyboy-UK are you OK covering 'On A Plain' without a second guitar, as there's nobody in the role at the moment?

Doing guitar on that is no stretch for me so happy either way
  • roberty said:
    Btw. @Bennyboy-UK are you OK covering 'On A Plain' without a second guitar, as there's nobody in the role at the moment?

OK I'll add you as second guitar as well as vocals, with @Bennyboy-UK on Lead guitar.

It's not a competition.
    edited October 2023
    roberty said:

OK I'll add you as second guitar as well as vocals, with @Bennyboy-UK on Lead guitar.

Any chance of a second drummer as well its a tough one to play !
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Btw. @Bennyboy-UK are you OK covering 'On A Plain' without a second guitar, as there's nobody in the role at the moment?

Thanks chaps - Ive not played out with a band enough to know whats what - so very grateful for the help!

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited October 2023
    The only song that doesn't have second guitar now is 'Pretty Vacant' so I'll put myself down for that, unless anyone else wants to do it.  But I'm sure @Vibetronic is more than capable of doing it on his own, so I'll keep a low profile on that one.

It's not a competition.
  • The only song that doesn't have second guitar now is 'Pretty Vacant' so I'll put myself down for that, unless anyone else wants to do it.  But I'm sure @Vibetronic is more than capable of doing it on his own, so I'll keep a low profile on that one.

I can do that, if you like.  Did it last time, or the time before, so fairly straightforward.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• The only song that doesn't have second guitar now is 'Pretty Vacant' so I'll put myself down for that, unless anyone else wants to do it.  But I'm sure @Vibetronic is more than capable of doing it on his own, so I'll keep a low profile on that one.

I can do that, if you like.  Did it last time, or the time before, so fairly straightforward.
    OK. I'll let you take that one then.

It's not a competition.
  • mrkb said:
    Does the bass amp have a line out? If so I can take a line in to my mixing desk and feed it into the PA if needed, I think the room PA had a good set of subs.
    If it's the same bass amp and cab that @mart brought previously then (it might have been small) but it was plenty loud enough and sounded excellent.

It's not a competition.
    The only song that doesn't have second guitar now is 'Pretty Vacant' so I'll put myself down for that, unless anyone else wants to do it.  But I'm sure @Vibetronic is more than capable of doing it on his own, so I'll keep a low profile on that one.

Wouldn't want to step on his toes lol
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    roberty said:
    mart said:
    I can play That's Entertainment, either on bass or guitar - two guitars might work best?
    Studio recording is acoustic guitar and bass AFAI remember
    Ok, I'll have a listen and see what feels more useful.
    mrkb said:
    If it's the same bass amp and cab that @mart brought previously then (it might have been small) but it was plenty loud enough and sounded excellent.
    The amp does have a line out, so if we can put it through the PA, that would be good. It's loud on its own, but it'd be nice to get the floor properly shaking! :)
    mart said:
    mrkb said:
    The amp does have a line out, so if we can put it through the PA, that would be good. It's loud on its own, but it'd be nice to get the floor properly shaking! :)
    Ok, Will bring a cable to plug it in, so can add volume if/when needed. Is it an XLR or TRS 1/4"  line out? 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    mrkb said:
    Ok, Will bring a cable to plug it in, so can add volume if/when needed. Is it an XLR or TRS 1/4"  line out? 
    There is both an XLR DI output, and an unbalanced 1/4" line out.
  • I’ve just got a new (to me) Rivera combo, any objections to me bringing that and seeing what it’s like at volume?

(note: I’m playing bass anyway, so it’s a spare for whoever’s on 6-string)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’ve just got a new (to me) Rivera combo, any objections to me bringing that and seeing what it’s like at volume?

That sounds interesting, I'd be very interested to hear it. Although I might run away if you ask me to help lift it :). IIRC they sound fantastic but weigh a ton.

You can play guitar on songs, even if you're not down for them. There's usually time for some multiple run throughs.

That's  provided we don't overload @mrkb, who's the only drummer this time. Some breaks to listen to and talk about gear would probably be a good thing.

It's not a competition.
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    I’ve just got a new (to me) Rivera combo, any objections to me bringing that and seeing what it’s like at volume?

several of us bring along our own amps so your Rivera will not be out of place and will give us one more amp to choose from  :)
    The more the merrier, I love gear lol

I will bring my partscaster. It's in D standard but keen for other people to have a go. Will be curious to know how you all find it
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1565
    edited October 2023
    I’ve just got a new (to me) Rivera combo, any objections to me bringing that and seeing what it’s like at volume?

That sounds awesome! I was planning to bring my little Bogner Atma which is good fun. 

(I need to get practicing!)

• @stratman3142 - well I've just plugged it in at home for the first time and I'm grinning! :mrgreen: 

The cleans are very clean (I expect there'll be a bit of breakup at non-neighbour-friendly volumes), and the drive channel has a great middy-grunt to it that works for the type of stuff I usually play. Cool, I'll bring it along and then it's there if anyone fancies a try
    Im planning to setup a room mic to see if I can get a good room recording (as I'll have kick and snare mic and vocal mics already running through the digital mixer) - will see if i can get a good recording mix afterwards.  
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Sorry but I still haven't got my bass guitar sorted. 

Please can I borrow a bass for my 2 songs? 
  • ^ You're welcome to use my Warwick @Neilybob, it's a Corvette $$ with active EQ and lots of tonal options :)
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    ^ You're welcome to use my Warwick @Neilybob, it's a Corvette $$ with active EQ and lots of tonal options :)
    Amazing! Thank you. 
    Mine too @Neilybob :-)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited October 2023
    Here's the final song list, unless anyone spots any errors.

Things to watch out for

'Talk Dirty To Me' is in F# a semitone lower than the original, which I believe is at the request of @bobblehat (correct me if I'm wrong)
    So a heads up to @mart and @Vibetronic ;;;

'Lil' Devil' is in C#, a semitone lower than the original, which I believe is at the request of @bobblehat (correct me if I'm wrong)
    So a heads up to @mart and @Brocco ;;;

If the above two cause any problems, there's the option of tuning down a semitone. I'll bring a couple of spare guitars that can be tuned down if required. I'll also bring a bass that could be tuned down.

I believe @roberty is OK with 'The Boys Are Back In Town' is in A, which makes life easier and avoids tuning down a semitone.
     @Neilybob and @Brocco do you need to agree who takes the top harmony line and who takes the bottom harmony line or are we just going to wing it ?  I can help if needed because I've played it before and have a chart I created for it.

https://i.imgur.com/ceO6ToG.png

It's not a competition.