Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• mart said:
    I think we will need a bass amp, as currently we don't have a real bassist (sorry bass as first instrument )  I believe the studio provides one, but we might need to pay for it.
    I can finally commit, so I will also bring a bass amp, as usual.

I'm not sure what songs it'd be helpful for me to play bass on, as most already have a bassist named. But if anyone wants to switch to guitar instead of bass, I'll happily step in to cover the bass.

Excellent news. Just say what tracks you want to play on, even if someone is already nominated, then we'll work around it, either as a replacement or as a multiple run through.

You can replace me on any of the tracks that you want to play on.

Likewise if you're after any of 'mine' - except On a Plain, it'll be fun to play some Nirvana with a group again! :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mart said:

Excellent news. Just say what tracks you want to play on, even if someone is already nominated, then we'll work around it, either as a replacement or as a multiple run through.

You can replace me on any of the tracks that you want to play on.

The 7 you're down for are all ones I've played or am confident about learning in the time available, so I'll happily take on any of them that you want to drop.

And you should probably add me to Gold on the ceiling, and the last three - Feel like making love, Wishing well, and I love R&R.

Well that certainly makes my job easier. Should I make the tea? :)

Actually it's a good thing, because my head is already exploding, learning songs for the band I'm in.

I'll include the various changes at the next update of the song list.

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited August 2023
    bobblehat said:
    Can we drop Lil Devil to C# , Thanks. 

Are you happy that we just tune the guitars down a semitone. I'll bring a spare guitar for drop tunings.

Is @mart OK with that, as he's now playing bass on it instead of me. If it's a problem, I'll tune my bass down a semitone.

btw. Talk Dirty is currently listed as a semitone higher than the original.

I think you were OK with Fortunate Son being in A last time.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    bobblehat said:

Can we try and fill in the empty Rhythm/second guitar parts .Cheers

I've take a view that we can, at least, get through the songs without Rhythm/second guitar. Those are roles that are good to have, but not essential. Unless anyone thinks otherwise about those songs lacking 2nd guitar.

I think Champagne Supernova will be lacking without a rhythm guitarist. What do you think @roberty
  • Neilybob said:
    bobblehat said:

I've take a view that we can, at least, get through the songs without Rhythm/second guitar. Those are roles that are good to have, but not essential. Unless anyone thinks otherwise about those songs lacking 2nd guitar.

I think Champagne Supernova will be lacking without a rhythm guitarist. What do you think @roberty
    I’d step in there with my HBII piezo, but that can pretty much be one pass on a looper for four bars repeated for the entire song…! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    guitargeek62 said:
    Likewise if you're after any of 'mine' - except On a Plain, it'll be fun to play some Nirvana with a group again! :D
    I don't want to push anybody out, and it doesn't look like you're playing much except bass, so I really don't want to cut down the number of songs you're playing unless that's what you want. But if there are some where you'd rather be on guitar, then let me know and I'll cover the bass.stratman3142 said:
    bobblehat said:

Are you happy that we just tune the guitars down a semitone. I'll bring a spare guitar for drop tunings.

Is @mart OK with that, as he's now playing bass on it instead of me. If it's a problem, I'll tune my bass down a semitone.

Lil Devil in C# is fine by me - it's not the most challenging of basslines, even for me!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    If you guys are doing a western jam... is it on top of or underneath the cream?

Thank, I'm here all week, try the fish.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Neilybob said:
    bobblehat said:

I’d step in there with my HBII piezo, but that can pretty much be one pass on a looper for four bars repeated for the entire song…! 
    You're not wrong
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    bobblehat said:

Yep, just tune down. 
    Happy to do TALK DIRTY in the original key (F#) too. Makes learning it slightly easier. ;)
  • bobblehat said:
    bobblehat said:

Yep, just tune down. 
    Happy to do TALK DIRTY in the original key (F#) too. Makes learning it slightly easier. ;)

We did Talk Dirty in G last time, because I think @mrkb wanted it in that key.

But, as he's playing drums this time, I'll assume F# is OK. Anyone who wants to, could tune down a semitone and effectively play it as if it's in G.

It's not a competition.
    edited September 2023
    Here's an updated songlist. Can everyone check this because things are getting complicated and I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few errors.

We can now cover 'Gold On The Ceiling' but it assumes @bobblehat ;; can sing and do all the guitar parts, unless we get another volunteer on guitar. @bobblehat ;; is that OK?

**Image removed. See more recent post for the latest update of the song list**

It's not a competition.
    Cool lots of bass and vocals for me. I should start looking at these really and make my life easy for a change

What are we saying time-wise? I'll provisionally say 10-6, any objections let me know by tomorrow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 10-6 is good for me :)
  • Incidentally, what gear do we need to bring? ...
    If we're playing at Firebird, we might need a few noise gates for those with single coils  

I'm OK, there's one built in to my Helix.

It's not a competition.
    Incidentally, what gear do we need to bring? ...
    If we're playing at Firebird, we might need a few noise gates for those with single coils  

I'm OK, there's one built in to my Helix.

I have one on my big board and two spares
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    Here's an updated songlist. Can everyone check this because things are getting complicated and I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few errors.

We can now cover 'Gold On The Ceiling' but it assumes @bobblehat ; can sing and do all the guitar parts, unless we get another volunteer on guitar. @bobblehat ; is that OK?

https://i.imgur.com/qTCCsxs.png

Could do with another guitar on those in orange. I can do a passable version of them all but I'm sure there's some volunteers here who can learn a few chords strum along ;) 
  • bobblehat said:

Could do with another guitar on those in orange. I can do a passable version of them all but I'm sure there's some volunteers here who can learn a few chords strum along ;) 

Am I right in assuming those are the ones where you're playing guitar, which are:

Rocks
    Spread Your Love
    Survival Car
    Gold On The Ceiling

I can help on Rocks because I've learned it previously, and just need a quick refresher.

I'd need to listen to the others before commiting because, as I said earlier, my head is exploding with learning loads of new songs for the band I'm in.

Are there any takers in guitar roles for the songs listed above?

It's not a competition.
  • @stratman3142 you mentioned that you "had a theory" about Alright Now which I am down to play on. If you replaced me we would get to hear your theory in action, and potentially I could learn Gold On The Ceiling (if there are no other takers).
  • Brocco said:
    @stratman3142 you mentioned that you "had a theory" about Alright Now which I am down to play on. If you replaced me we would get to hear your theory in action, and potentially I could learn Gold On The Ceiling (if there are no other takers).
    Happy to play Alright Now, but I see @Vibetronic is already playing lead. Happy to play rhythm so you can play on Gold On The Ceiling. I'll include that at the next update.

I wouldn't get too excited about about my theory of how Paul Kossoff played it live, having see Free at least a couple of times. Everyone's got a theory about how he played it. I can't claim to be sure I'm right :)

My theory was simply that, under the D chord, he played a low A with his pinky on the 5th fret of the 6th string.

I see that Dave Simpson has recently posted on YouTube about 'Proper Alright Now Chords' if you Google it. His theory is entirely plausible, but I'm not sure my hands are big enough to get a sound from the open A on the 5th string, as well as the A on the 5th fret 6th string. In my case, the edge of my pinky mutes the 5th string.

But there was definitely some action going on with Paul Kossoff's pinky on the 5th fret 6th string.

It's not a competition.
  • Brocco said:
    @stratman3142 you mentioned that you "had a theory" about Alright Now which I am down to play on. If you replaced me we would get to hear your theory in action, and potentially I could learn Gold On The Ceiling (if there are no other takers).
    Happy to play Alright Now, but I see @Vibetronic is already playing lead. Happy to play rhythm so you can play on Gold On The Ceiling. I'll include that at the next update.

I wouldn't get too excited about about my theory of how Paul Kossoff played it live, having see Free at least a couple of times. Everyone's got a theory about how he played it. I can't claim to be sure I'm right :)

My theory was simply that, under the D chord, he played a low A with his pinky on the 5th fret of the 6th string.

I see that Dave Simpson has recently posted on YouTube about 'Proper Alright Now Chords' if you Google it. His theory is entirely plausible, but I'm not sure my hands are big enough to get a sound from the open A on the 5th string, as well as the A on the 5th fret 6th string. In my case, the edge of my pinky mutes the 5th string.

But there was definitely some action going on with Paul Kossoff's pinky on the 5th fret 6th string.

I saw that video too and it does chime with the live version of the track on Free's YT channel. I would need a guitar with a shorter scale length to stand a chance of playing the riff with my pinky on the 6th string 5th fret!
    edited September 2023
    Brocco said:
    Brocco said:

I wouldn't get too excited about about my theory of how Paul Kossoff played it live, having see Free at least a couple of times. Everyone's got a theory about how he played it. I can't claim to be sure I'm right

I saw that video too and it does chime with the live version of the track on Free's YT channel. I would need a guitar with a shorter scale length to stand a chance of playing the riff with my pinky on the 6th string 5th fret!

Originally, I thought he was only fretting the 5th fret 6th string on the D chord.

My logic was to allow the strums on the D chord to sound more percussive.

When I play the D chord, I fret the A on the 5th fret 6th string and mute the 5th string with the edge of my pinky. Also, the open 1st string is muted by the inside of my first finger which is fretting the 2nd fret 3rd string.

That allows me to strum across all the strings. The percussive effect comes from the muted strings, plus I use left hand muting by loosening my grip a bit to control the sustain of the D chord, to avoid too much of a drone effect.

Well it's a theory anyway  

It's not a competition.
    edited September 2023
    Here's an update. Please check the table for possible errors and omissions.

I've moved Brocco from 2nd guitar on 'Alright Now' to 'Gold On The Ceiling'

I've put myself down as 2nd guitar on Alright Now, which is possibly redundant because @Vibetronic is doing lead and more than capable of filling it out on his own. Perhaps we could take turns. Although 'Alright Now' hasn't got vocals yet.

I've put myself down on 2nd guitar on 'Rocks'

We still ideally need 2nd guitar on 'Spread Your Love' and 'Survival Car'

It would be nice to have some rhythm guitar on Comfortably Numb, although I used to played it at gigs on guitar with just Vocals, Drums and Bass.

It's not a competition.

It would be nice to have some rhythm guitar on Comfortably Numb, although I used to played it at gigs on guitar with just Vocals, Drums and Bass.

I can cover a simple rhythm guitar part on Spread, Survival and Comfortably.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    I’ve just got a new digital mixer so will bring that as its got an ace auto feedback remover. I can then add backing vocals when I’m not too busy concentrating on hitting things.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    mart said:

I can cover a simple rhythm guitar part on Spread, Survival and Comfortably.

Great, I've updated the song list below. You can borrow one of my guitars, if you don't want to bring one. And, if you don't like mine, I expect there'll be plenty of guitars to choose from.

I can send you a chord chart to Comfortable Numb, if it helps save you some time.

It's not a competition.
  • Np, I’ve got a little Rumble 40 combo that I can bring - it might be a little underpowered for this but we can try it unless anyone has a better option :)
    That looks like it's got an XLR out, so we can go into the PA, no?
    My mistake, mine’s the LT25 - no XLR!
  • Now @mart is coming (yay!) he'll likely be bringing his tiny-but-awesome bass amp.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Great, I've updated the song list below. You can borrow one of my guitars, if you don't want to bring one. And, if you don't like mine, I expect there'll be plenty of guitars to choose from.

I can send you a chord chart to Comfortable Numb, if it helps save you some time.
    Thanks, but that's one song I know well enough already - I actually did it back in the 2019 jam. And thanks for the offer to borrow a guitar. I'm thinking I might bring along my acoustasonic, but it'll be good to have an alternative in case of feedback/noise problems.

Jonathangus said:
    Now @mart is coming (yay!) he'll likely be bringing his tiny-but-awesome bass amp.
    Yep, I'll be bringing my baby amp along as normal.
  • @Neilybob ; should I put out a last call for those songs with two or more roles still empty?

It's not a competition.
    @Neilybob ; should I put out a last call for those songs with two or more roles still empty?

Just vocals needed? I can step in if there are no other takers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter