Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    I can provide rhythm guitar on these tracks if required:

Black Crowes - Hard to handle

CCR - Fortunate Son

Neil Young - Rocking in the Free World

The Cult - Lil Devil

Undertones - Teenage Kicks

Free - Alright Now

Beatles_Come Together

Bad Company_Feel Like Makin Love

Free_Wishing Well

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    I can do lead on All Right Now 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I’ll sos my bass player and see if he wants to join us. 
  • Alright Now could be fun, debating how to precisely play the rhythm :)

I saw Free live a few times and have my own take on it. Although I think he varied how he played it.

It's not a competition.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited August 2023
    I've updated the list. Let me know if there are any mistakes of omissions. I'd be surprised if there aren't any.

@guitargeek62 : I've put you down for bass roles at the moment, as that role is harder to fill than guitar. But we can change things if we get a bass player. I've put both of us down for guitar and bass on Rocking In The Free World. We can swap as we see fit.

@Jonathangus : I've put you down for lead on Teenage Kicks and I Love Rock N Roll, 2nd guitar on Molly's Chambers and vocals on Comfortably Numb

@Brocco : I've put you down for rhythm (2nd guitar) on the ones you requested

@Neilybob : I've put you down for lead on Alright Now and moved myself on to bass

**Image removed. See more recent post for the latest update of the song list**

It's not a competition.
    I've updated the list. Let me know if there are any mistakes of omissions. I'd be surprised if there aren't any.

@guitargeek62 : I've put you down for bass roles at the moment, as that role is harder to fill than guitar. But we can change things if we get a bass player. I've put both of us down for guitar and bass on Rocking In The Free World. We can swap as we see fit.

@Jonathangus : I've put you down for lead on Teenage Kicks and I Love Rock N Roll, 2nd guitar on Molly's Chambers and vocals on Comfortably Numb

@Brocco : I've put you down for rhythm (2nd guitar) on the ones you requested

@Neilybob : I've put you down for lead on Alright Now and moved myself on to bass

Thank you. 

Do you want to do 2 run throughs of All Right Now? 
  • Neilybob said:

Thank you. 

No problem We can decide on the day if necessary. The main thing is to fill all the roles for at least one run through.

It's not a competition.
    Neilybob said:

Thank you. 

No problem We can decide on the day if necessary. The main thing is to fill all the roles for at least one run through.

Totally agree. 

Will have a review tonight and update what I can. I think we may struggle for vocalists now unless @mrkb can do drums and vocals? 
    edited August 2023
    Neilybob said:

Will have a review tonight and update what I can. I think we may struggle for vocalists now unless @mrkb can do drums and vocals? 

We've also got @roberty, @bobblehat and @Jonathangus as potential vocalists.

I think @bobblehat and @roberty ;sang a few of the new ones on the list, that we did at previous jams.

It's not a competition.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    I can do (or rather, ones I know well enough)

Rocking in the Free World
    Pretty Vacant
    All Right Now
    Feel Like Making Love
    Wishing Well
    I Love Rock n Roll

There's a few others there I could get roughly down. Happy doing lead/rhythm/second run-throughs etc etc 

I'm happy to fill in some of the gaps once the list has been updated. 
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    I sang and played rhythm or lead on quite a few of the ones that have been added to list and more than happy to do them again. If you have an set list then put me down for any roles that I did previously.
  • bobblehat said:
    I sang and played rhythm or lead on quite a few of the ones that have been added to list and more than happy to do them again. If you have an set list then put me down for any roles that I did previously.
    I've got previous lists. I'll include them in the next update, which I'll do within the next few days.

It's not a competition.
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    mrkb said:
    Is @mart available to add grooving basslines this time?
    I've not heard from him this time. Definitely a huge asset to the jams.

Yeah, sorry, life has been a bit chaotic here, so I haven't been able to commit. I'll see if I can pin things down a bit and give a definite yes or no.
  • mart said:
    mrkb said:
    Is @mart available to add grooving basslines this time?
    I've not heard from him this time. Definitely a huge asset to the jams.

Yeah, sorry, life has been a bit chaotic here, so I haven't been able to commit. I'll see if I can pin things down a bit and give a definite yes or no.

We could really do with a proper bass player. No disrepect intended to the guitarists that have volunteered to play bass (and that includes me) :)

It's not a competition.
  • @stratman3142 - no disrespect felt at all - I'm very much a guitar player who owns a bass, not a bass player!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    List looks interesting....Ill try and get there and just drop in where possible ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • I can do (or rather, ones I know well enough)

Rocking in the Free World
    Pretty Vacant
    All Right Now
    Feel Like Making Love
    Wishing Well
    I Love Rock n Roll

There's a few others there I could get roughly down. Happy doing lead/rhythm/second run-throughs etc etc 

OK I'll put you down for lead on those.
    In some cases we'll have two options for lead.

I'll move @guitargeek62 onto bass for Rocking In The Free World, as I think you said you were happy with either role. But we can chop and change on the day and I can play bass or guitar as well if required.

bobblehat said:
    Looking back at the three previous jams, I think you did (or volunteered for) the following, so I've put you down for those roles:

Gold On The Ceilng: Vocals and 2nd (rhythm guitar)

Survival Car: Vocals and Lead Guitar

Fortunate Son: Vocals and Lead Guitar. We now have enough people to play this

Spread Your Love: Vocals and Lead Guitar

Keep Your Hands To Yourself: Vocals and Rhythm Guitar

Lil Devil: Vocals and Lead Guitar. We now have enough people to play this. IIRC you may want this a semitone lower, so we can retune if necessary

Rocks: Vocals and Lead Guitar

It's not a competition.
    edited August 2023
    Here's an updated song list. The red boxes indicate where we only need one more role to get through the song.

As usual, let me know if there are any errors or if I've missed anything.

It's not a competition.
    edited August 2023
     @mart ; if you are available, feel free to bump me off any bass role, as you'll do a better job.

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Have checked out a few of the "just needs drums" songs and think i can do
    Just What I Needed
    La Grange

Will see if I can pull off a rough/simplified "Boys are Back in town" backing
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited August 2023
    mrkb said:
    Have checked out a few of the "just needs drums" songs and think i can do
    Just What I Needed
    La Grange

Will see if I can pull off a rough/simplified "Boys are Back in town" backing
    Great that gives us two more songs with sufficient roles. I'll hold off on 'Boys Are Back In Town' until you're sure.

It's not a competition.
  • The following songs just need one more role filling:

Vocals:
    Alright Now

Bass:
    Rocks
    Spread Your Love
    Survival Car
    Keep Your Hands To Yourself

It's not a competition.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    The following songs just need one more role filling:

Vocals:
    Alright Now

Bass:
    Rocks
    Spread Your Love
    Survival Car

I can do bass on those
    edited August 2023
    roberty said:
    The following songs just need one more role filling:

Vocals:
    Alright Now

Bass:
    Rocks
    Spread Your Love
    Survival Car

I can do bass on those
    That gives us a few more with sufficient roles. Updated list below.

It's not a competition.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    @stratman3142 can you put me down for vocs and bass for come together and champagne supernova, and bass for comfortably numb ta and thank you
    edited August 2023
    roberty said:
    @stratman3142 can you put me down for vocs and bass for come together and champagne supernova, and bass for comfortably numb ta and thank you
    Yes provided everyone remembers it's one bar one D before the 1st Comfortably Numb solo and two bars of D before the second solo. I did it at a gig this week and the backing played two bars of D before the first solo, which ended up making the solo sound somewhat ethereal

I'll include the changes at the next update.

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    roberty said:
    Yes provided everyone remembers it's one bar one D before the 1st Comfortably Numb solo and two bars of D before the second solo. I did it at a gig this week and the backing played two bars of D before the first solo, which ended up making the solo sound somewhat ethereal

Bloody soloists!! You play to whatever the backing chords are , not go off on your own widdly fest ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    mrkb said:
    roberty said:

Bloody soloists!! You play to whatever the backing chords are , not go off on your own widdly fest
    Well I play the 1st solo note for note rather than improvise, as it's a classic. I'd already started the solo, then the backing incorrectly added an extra bar of D, so now I'm effectively one bar ahead of the chords under the solo.

Things are sounding odd, but not actually out of tune. So I thought I'd stick to my guns, as I know I right, and hopefully someone would realise what had happened. Sadly not, but it all ended well

A combination of a dep bass player, a sudden short notice gig with lack of rehearsal, and me telling the keyboard player not to forget the extra bar of D before the final solo, which he mistook for the first solo

It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    roberty said:

Song list updated.  Now we're getting somewhere.

It's not a competition.