Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 7th October 2023 @ Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• It might be a little late to add one, but if anyone fancies chucking a Homme-related song (i.e. QOTSA, Kyuss, Them Crooked Vultures, etc) into the lineup then I'm game for pretty much anything and happy to cover rhythm, lead, or bass on them - though preferably something other than 'No One Knows' please!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    Hey folks...I was tagged originally but seems to have slipped under the radar...if I can, Ill attend on the day and chip in where I can, be good to catch up ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Neilybob said:
    Neilybob said:
    Cheers chaps. Front page up date.

@Onlyonbradders @Jonathangus do we have a drummer please? 
    Any update chaps?
    OK, I'm fairly sure Andy will be up for it.  Only trouble is, he's suffering from carpel tunnel, so drumming is off the table atm.  But hopefully October is far enough ahead that it'll be sorted by then.
    Probably going to have to sit this one out. Sorry all… a) my back and hips are not well at the mo and b) my wrist (don’t think carpal tunnel, more likely tendinitis or tenosynivitis) is not improving… I’ve not played drums for months at this point. 
  • Ah jeez, that sounds horrid - best of luck to you Bradders!
  • Really sorry to hear that @onlyonebradders, hope you get it sorted soon and make a full recovery.

It's not a competition.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Pants! Gonna miss you @onlyonebradders but recovery comes first. Hope to see you at the next one.  
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    That sucks @onlyonebradders hope you're feeling more agile and less achey soon
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Sorry to hear that, Hope you recover soon Andy!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I think we might have to postpone this one until Andy is better, unless there are any other drummers. Any thoughts?

It's not a competition.
  • I could play cowbell?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I think we might have to postpone this one until Andy is better, unless there are any other drummers. Any thoughts?
    Depends on what people want from the day. I’m happy to just do drums on the day, but can’t learn loads of new songs - might be able to pick up a few of the proposed ones though - will need to listen to them.

am happy to redo songs I’ve already learnt/drummed on in previous jams if we want to do any songs from previous jams.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Thanks for the best wishes chaps… 
    mrkb said:
    I think we might have to postpone this one until Andy is better, unless there are any other drummers. Any thoughts?
    Depends on what people want from the day. I’m happy to just do drums on the day, but can’t learn loads of new songs - might be able to pick up a few of the proposed ones though - will need to listen to them.

am happy to redo songs I’ve already learnt/drummed on in previous jams if we want to do any songs from previous jams.
    Thanks for stepping in. 

What songs do know on drums? 
  • Here's a new list showing where we need a drummer.

Does @mrkb want to take any of those slots, in some cases forgoing other roles on guitar.

Alternatively can anyone esle drum on them? Or does @mrkb want to suggest any songs he'd be comfortable drumming.

https://i.imgur.com/eqyUbhQ.png

It's not a competition.
    Im happy to pick up any 4/4 kick/snare standard beat type songs that can be defined as "8 bars verse, 4 bridge, 8 bar solo, etc" - so I can wing a basic drum part, but don't think any of the existing Ex-Andy songs were like that.

Have stuck a list of the songs I have mostly learnt for previous jams already below.

Previous Bristol Jams

Black Crowes - Hard to handle

CCR - Fortunate Son

Neil Young - Rocking in the Free World

Pixies - Here Comes your man

Primal Scream - Rocks

Sex Pistols - pretty Vacant

The Cult - Lil Devil

Undertones - teenage Kicks

Free - Alright Now

Bowie - Lets Dance

BRMC - Spread Your Love

Fountains Of Wayne - Survival Car

Nirvana - On A Plain

Black Keys - Gold on the Ceiling

Georgia Satellites_Keep Your Hands To Yourself

Other jam songs

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

Arctic Monkeys_Mardy Bum

Beatles_Come Together

Black Crowes_Jealous Again

Kings Of Leon_Molly's Chambers

Oasis_Champagne Supernova

Oasis_Cigarettes And Alcohol

Tom Petty_American Girl

Bad Company_Feel Like Makin Love

Free_Wishing Well

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @mrkb thanks for that. I feel a highly revised set list might be needed now. I've played quite a few in your list.

What does @Neilybob think, as I'm assuming he's in charge for this one? I'm just the monkey with the typewriter.

It's not a competition.
  • @mrkb thank you, sounds good to me - put me down as interested against On A Plain, Free World, Molly’s Chambers  - any guitar/bass parts on those please
    @mrkb thanks for that. I feel a highly revised set list might be needed now. I've played quite a few in your list.

What does @Neilybob think, as I'm assuming he's in charge for this one? I'm just the monkey with the typewriter.

Tbh I’m happy to go with the majority. 

I’m just the monkey who made the original post. 

Great song list @mrkb ;
    I just happy if we can resurrect some form of live music jam on the day.

Can add "Joan Jett - I Love Rock n Roll" to possibles list as well.

If anyone has simple drum song suggestions Im happy to add a few other suggestion in.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • @mrkb just checking but are the songs in your list the ones that you're happy to play drums on?

It's not a competition.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    mrkb said:

If anyone has simple drum song suggestions Im happy to add a few other suggestion in.
    I'll be up for that.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

@mrkb just checking but are the songs in your list the ones that you're happy to play drums on?

Yes - I have played those all over last 5 years (so have the transcriptions ready so I can quickly get them upto speed).
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:

I'll be up for that.
    just make sure you know when the 2/4 and 3/4 bars come in - its tripped us up in the past as we descend into mayhem  ;)

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    image.png 46.7K
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited August 2023
    Here's a new mega list thanks to @mrkb. Let me know if there are any errors, as it's getting a bit tricky to keep up.

I've put myself down for some of the bass and lead guitar roles but can swap if needed.

**Image removed. See more recent post for the latest update of the song list**

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Here's a new mega list thanks to @mrkb. Let me know if there are any errors, as it's getting a bit tricky to keep up.

I've put myself down for some of the bass and lead guitar roles but can swap if needed.

https://i.imgur.com/wubPdF2.png

Please can we update this thread with song choices from the new list asap.

@Bennyboy-UK ;;
    edited August 2023
    Is @mart available to add grooving basslines this time?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited August 2023
    mrkb said:
    Is @mart available to add grooving basslines this time?
    I've not heard from him this time. Definitely a huge asset to the jams.

It's not a competition.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    OK, can manage lead on Teenage Kicks, rhythm on Molly's Chambers.  And I seem to recall doing vox on Comfy, so go on, then.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    Ok cool, I’ll take a proper look tomorrow and get back. I know some of those and can jam around others. Thanks for this @mrkb , much appreciated. And @onlyonebradders  - get better soon mate, you’ll be missed! Apologies for my absence for a while, child and family illness have intervened once again but I am still on track to attend :)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    My drum chops are sorely lacking these days. I can maybe get a practice pad and some sticks but I don't know how focussed I can be