Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). UPDATED UPDATE: MARTIN LUXE BRIDGE. PINS GIVEAWAY No2 - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

UPDATED UPDATE: MARTIN LUXE BRIDGE. PINS GIVEAWAY No2

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    Splendid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    So I got these onto the acoustic last night, with the same type of strings as were on there previously.  They weren’t changed long ago, so they were not dead or in need of changing by any means. 

My initial impressions are that they look great and suit the guitar.  I think the sapele and tort plate goes with the gold/red quite well and they don’t stick out like I thought they might. 

I also feel like they make a positive difference to the sound over the cheap plastic pins that were in there initially.  I may have experienced similar with any decent set of pins, but I am not sure.  The guitar definitely feels more lively, if that makes sense.  I had thought I may have got a much brighter and trebly tone, into Taylor territory, but I didn’t really experience that.  (Which is a good thing as I generally find Taylors a little too bright for me, save for the full mahogany one I tried recently). 

All in all, happy.  Many thanks @Mellish !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @SteveF ; glad you like 'em mate. Looking smart on their "new" guitar- and, they'll last and last, so you won't have to worry about the slots getting chewed up, that's not going to happen.

Enjoy :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @SteveF ; btw, read the Newtone packet carefully before installing the strings.

Preferably lock them off at the tuning posts before snipping off the excess. 

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    I think they look good, congratulations! 
    Mellish said:
    @SteveF ; btw, read the Newtone packet carefully before installing the strings.

Preferably lock them off at the tuning posts before snipping off the excess. 

Oh ok will do - are they non-standard somehow?

I normally do a lock wrap anyway (ie first turn over and the remainder under the string as it goes through the post) 
    @SteveF the Newtones are round core. If you cut before locking off, the wrap can unwind. 

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Mellish said:
    @SteveF the Newtones are round core. If you cut before locking off, the wrap can unwind. 

They explain Here https://newtonestrings.com/do-not-cut-newtone-strings/?v=79cba1185463 plus there's a good "how to" video. 
    edited June 2023
    What I *did* find is that Martin Luxe bridge pins make a bigger difference to the tone of relatively inexpensive guitars.

I *did* notice a difference on my Martin OM28 Re-imagined but not much and (IMO) certainly not enough to justify the huge extra cost.

So with lower priced acoustics, yes, you're likely to like what they do; but if you expect a similar, tonal improvement to occur with high-end, well you may be disappointed.

Yes, I have been playing a bit more and I definitely feel it sounds better to my ears than before.  
    ^ well, if they work for you, that's good.

Regarding the strings that cane with them, my favourites are the D'Addario's. I always have issues installing Newtone. Always have.

Yeah I have been really enjoying the D'Addarios since you recommended them previously (although I tend to use 11s rather than 12s).  Interested to try the Newtones though so will have a go with them next. :) 
    The Martin Luxe bone-look bridge pins have arrived. 

These i never thought I'd get. First my younger brother over in New York liked 'em, then he didn't, then he did, then he didn't......... 

Anyway, short story is, they look WOW, so over to you - put them on the Martin OM-28 Re-imagined and have just the one draw OR have a separate draw offering them on their lonesome? 

• Rich31kRich31k Frets: 705
    I think I speak for everyone when I say, probably best just send them straight to me 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^ I'm thinking separate them.

That way members get two chances to win, though I hear you and will consider your suggestion.