Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). UPDATED UPDATE: MARTIN LUXE BRIDGE. PINS GIVEAWAY No2 - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

UPDATED UPDATE: MARTIN LUXE BRIDGE. PINS GIVEAWAY No2

What's Hot

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited May 2023
    @ditchboy ;well, you're half right .

It WILL be my Martin OM28 Re-imagined, but it isn't cos I'm not keen on it, it's cos I'm giving up guitar to concentrate on five-string banjo  
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    As much as I would love an OM28 up for grabs I think you’d massively regret that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It isn't some knee-jerk, it's something I've given a lot of thought to.

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 186
    A noble act! I’m not sure anyone needs 2 OM28s but I’ll absolutely be up for seeing how that feels! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    Wow!! 
    edited May 2023
    It will go to the winner with no scratches/dings.

I did a review of it in Acoustics. But I'll run through it again in a new thread in November.

What I WILL say is that any entry from any country will go in the hat, but that the winner (here in the UK or abroad) must arrange FOR (and PAY) shipping

• bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    I was going to say another set of Martin Luxe bridge pins an 5 sets of strings.
    Never imagined it would be your guitar Mellish.
    That is going to create a lot of interest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The draw will be open to all, but I especially wish to encourage entries from those who've never had an high-end acoustic.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Mellish you sure about this? It's very noble and even I'd be in for a draw for a non-Larrivee (lol) but you sure you don't want to just sell for something else and get your £££ ? 
    @thomasross20 I've thought about selling, sure, but I'd get more satisfaction from this.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023
    You never know. This time I might snare my Aussie mate in Huon Valley and that one from Bristol. 

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    No, not your Martin!  I am not sure I could possibly accept that when if my name is drawn in the next "raffle" ..... nudge nudge, wink wink ...... say no more.  Know what I mean? A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh?
    ^ yes, I think I get it

:D
    If I win I will sell all my mahogany Larrivee and become a rosewood Martin convert *possibly not true lol*

@thomasross20 ; if you win, you'll get a Sitka/EIR OM-28 that rings like a bell. No scratches, scuffs or dings. My word on it

The only better thing I can imagine would be retirement! : D
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1513
    edited May 2023
    @Mellish, that would be extremely generous of you!! Unbelievably so in fact. 
    You're an adult so please don't think I'm telling you what to do with your gear but that is a great guitar and a lot of value to give away to one individual. God forbid if it went to a serial flipper, etc which let's face could happen on here. 

If you're intent on doing it without taking any money for yourself, hat's off to you, but couldn't we collectively get our heads together and come up with a way of auctioning/raffling it off and giving the proceeds to a worthy cause?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Gandalph ok, how about this?:

Each one in the draw donates, say, £5 to tFB? There's a worthy cause, one most of us use daily.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    If we all agree, here's s the plan:

When the OM-28 thread is posted in November, you'll get me to put your names in but the difference to previous draws is that (this time) you donate an X amount to tFB.

So, let's hear from you - what is a reasonable amount? I suggest £5 each. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sure you don't want to sell to fund the world's best banjo?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023
    ^ I have  an Ome North Star
    May not be the best but it's pretty good...you know, for a banjo  

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1513
    I'd take @thomasross20 suggestion and put the money into something nice for yourself :)
    But yes if not that then something like you suggest in your last post. 
    Well we'll see nearer the time.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Just put in a set of US cattle bone bridge pins that I bought last week.

Oh man, beautiful tone. Really beefs up this OM-28. Where'd I get 'em? JP Guitars, the no inlay ones.

@SteveF ; if you don't like what the Martin Luxe bridge pins do, feel free to say so.

The first winner likes 'em, but I prefer bone or tusq, so it'll be interesting to read *your* thoughts.

+1 I'd be keen to hear, too
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    I’m planning on putting them in tomorrow. I will let you know my thoughts. If nothing else they look bling! :D 

going to try them with the same type of strings I have now, rather than with one of the new sets you sent me. Just so I know any change is the pins and not the strings. 
    ^ I actually tried them twice.

The first time was brief and rushed. I thought they gave a mellow tone. Then I tried them again and thought they gave a slightly bright, thin sound. 
    If I'd had more time.....but they were keen to be off to the winner! 

• bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    I don't know if you will get the same sounds as I did @SteveF . What guitar are you putting them on? I like them so much they are staying on mine.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Initially a Sapele topped Martin 000 (X Series, so HPL back and sides). I am looking at a new "proper" acoustic in the near future though which will be an OM/000 too and will try them in there too.  Not decided on woods for that as yet.