Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• I was having a muse that I’d like to maybe have a crack at a bit of 80s hair metal - something like Nothing but a Good time by Poison or Dr Feelgood by Mötley Crüe.

Can we have go at those do you think?
    We did Talk Dirty to Me last time.  No reason we can't do it again, I reckon.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I was having a muse that I’d like to maybe have a crack at a bit of 80s hair metal - something like Nothing but a Good time by Poison or Dr Feelgood by Mötley Crüe.

Ok cool, nothing but a good time is tuned Eb on the record, I’m guessing Dr Feelgood is lower than that - so maybe in the interest of tuning nightmares some of the learned members could suggest what’s doable or not and if to bin-off  maybe the Crue?
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Ok cool, nothing but a good time is tuned Eb on the record, I’m guessing Dr Feelgood is lower than that - so maybe in the interest of tuning nightmares some of the learned members could suggest what’s doable or not and if to bin-off  maybe the Crue?
    i was also going to suggest Nothin' But a Good Time!

Plus:

Yankee Rose - David Lee Roth

Dr Feelgood is possible but easier if we stick in standard (original is down a whole step). Only trouble is the vocals will be pretty high. Girls Girls Girls might be easier to get together quickly too. I know lots of Crue and up for any and all of it! :)
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    Most tracks suggested so far don't have a drummer in the band yet!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited November 2022
    I was having a muse that I’d like to maybe have a crack at a bit of 80s hair metal - something like Nothing but a Good time by Poison or Dr Feelgood by Mötley Crüe.

Plus:

Dr Feelgood is possible but easier if we stick in standard (original is down a whole step). Only trouble is the vocals will be pretty high. Girls Girls Girls might be easier to get together quickly too. I know lots of Crue and up for any and all of it!

Should I add these new suggestions to the list, as it was suggested that we select 3 each? In the end it will boil down to whether we have any takers for the singer and drummer roles.

It's not a competition.
  • Yeah, there's potentially a lot of new songs for @onlyonebradders to get his head round (assuming he's up for it again)...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

edited November 2022
    Yeah, there's potentially a lot of new songs for @onlyonebradders to get his head round (assuming he's up for it again)...
    Perhaps we should include some from previous jams. Also, maybe let the drummers plus singers drive the song selections.

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    As a drummer (and singer) it’s a lot of effort to learn new songs to a suitable level and as theres only a few other singers and drummers there’s lots of songs to learn for the jams. So any that I’ve already done the work for (transcribing and learning for previous jams) are easy to say yes to straight away. I’ve probably only got the time to learn two or three new ones for each jam (as I also want to play guitar on some!), unless they are very simple drum parts.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1

Plus:

Dr Feelgood is possible but easier if we stick in standard (original is down a whole step). Only trouble is the vocals will be pretty high. Girls Girls Girls might be easier to get together quickly too. I know lots of Crue and up for any and all of it!

Should I add these new suggestions to the list, as it was suggested that we select 3 each? In the end it will boil down to whether we have any takers for the singer and drummer roles.

Yeah might as well. I’m pretty easy really though and don’t mind what I play :)
    edited November 2022
    OK, I've added some more to the list.

**Image removed. See more recent post for the latest update of the song list**

It's not a competition.
    edited November 2022
    Yeah, there's potentially a lot of new songs for @onlyonebradders to get his head round (assuming he's up for it again)...

Would it be possible to check whether @onlyonebradders is up for it? And if so, which songs he's up for playing. If they're not on the list could you ask him which ones he'd like to do.

Who have we got for vocals. Is it just the following at the moment? And which songs would they like to do?

@Jonathangus , @mrkb@roberty @Crazed_Fandango

It's not a competition.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505

Would it be possible to check whether @onlyonebradders is up for it? And if so, which songs he's up for playing. If they're not on the list could you ask him which ones he'd like to do.

Who have we got for vocals. Is it just the following at the moment? And which songs would they like to do?

@Jonathangus , @mrkb@roberty @Crazed_Fandango

Anyone?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Sorry @Neilybob I could Lynott Jailbreak and cover vocals and bass? That would be fun. I'll have a proper look volunteer for more. I haven't heard a lot of those songs 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    roberty said:
    Sorry @Neilybob I could Lynott Jailbreak and cover vocals and bass? That would be fun. I'll have a proper look volunteer for more. I haven't heard a lot of those songs 
    Superb! Thank you

I have to say I really loved your vocals at the last jam.  
  • roberty said:
    That's great. Could you do Jailbreak in standard tuning (a semitone higher than the original) as you can sing pretty high? Or would you prefer it in the original key, which has the guitars tuned to Eb standard.
    It's not a competition.
    @stratman standard tuning is no problem

Thanks @Neilybob that's very kind
    edited November 2022
    roberty said:
    @stratman standard tuning is no problem

Thanks @Neilybob that's very kind

I've updated the list to show roberty on vocals and bass for Jailbreak. Also, it's in F#m (semitone up on the original) to allow it to be played in E standard tuning.

I'll do lead guitar, unless anyone else wants to do it, so we just need a drummer for that one now.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'll make and share a Spotify playlist for this because I haven't heard most of these before. And then once I've heard them it will be easier to pick and choose
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited November 2022
    roberty said:
    I'll make and share a Spotify playlist for this because I haven't heard most of these before. And then once I've heard them it will be easier to pick and choose
    This might not be the final list, as songs that don't get a full line up of roles will be dropped.

Feel free to suggest 3 of your own. It would be good to get responses and suggestions from singers and drummers, because those are the hardest roles to fill.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Okay I've been drilling megadeth rhythm parts so how about Symphony of Destruction because that's not super technical

I'd like a stab at the guitar part on Under the Bridge

On a Plain by Nirvana is nice and easy and fun to sing
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    Okay I've been drilling megadeth rhythm parts so how about Symphony of Destruction because that's not super technical

I'll add them to the next update. Will you do vocals on all of those? @Jonathangus did vocals on Under The Bridge last time if you want to concentrate on the guitar parts.

I'm happy to cover bass this time, instead of guitar, on Under The Bridge.
    It's not a competition.
  • roberty said:

+1 to Symphony, I know it already! :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    Wondering if we should consider removing suggested songs that do not have both a drummer and vocalist by a given date?
  • Sorry for the late response everyone... just way too busy.  So I'm probably good for: Celebrity, Die Laughing, Fallen, Jailbreak, Paradise City, Runnin' Down, RnR, So into you, Be yourself, April Skys, Gimme Shelter, Roadhouse, Just what i needed, I fought, Talk dirty, Dr Feelgood and Girls.  Also, to throw some curve balls, I know I believe in a thing called love, and because i heard it on the radio while i was working, i thought Fight for your Right - Beastie Boys could be a laugh!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:

+1 to Symphony, I know it already! :)
    Well up for SoD too!

• Dr Feelgood = More Cowbell!
    edited November 2022
    That's great @onlyonebradders. Quite a few roles have been filled now.

Here's an updated list. Let me know if anyone spots any errors or omissions.

We now have a full lineup for Jailbreak.

It's not a competition.
  • Brocco said:
    Wondering if we should consider removing suggested songs that do not have both a drummer and vocalist by a given date?
    Quite a few drummer roles have now been filled by @onlyonebradders , so should we give it a little longer before dropping any?

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Now Bradders has chosen, I'll drum on "Gold on the ceiling", "under the bridge" and "Lets Dance"
    Will sing and rhythm guitar on "Talk Dirty"
    Happy to sing on "I fought the law" (Might add some rhythm guitar as well)
    Will check out if i can sing the Crue vocals over next week.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • happy to do guitar on Darkness track too.