Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    edited October 2022
    I'll tentatively put myself down to be Angus in Noise Pollution (it is my username, after all...)

(Unless @Brocco wants it; it's his song choice.)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'll tentatively put myself down to be Angus in Noise Pollution (it is my username, after all...)

I'll add it to the next update.

I assume (like last time) we can have multiple run throughs, so more that one person can nominate themselves for the same role.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    mrkb said:
    Id be up for Audioslave - Be Yourself and Gold on the ceiling - The Black Keys - great songs

My 3 suggestions-
    Rolling Stones - not sure what yet - Dead Flowers ? Gimme Shelter?
    The Doors - Roadhouse Blues
    Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey - a heavily fuzzed out reverb soaked 3 guitar version. Or Darklands - came up next on spotify!!

It would be good to narrow it down to 3 specific choices. I used to play Gimme Shelter, so I'm OK with the guitar on that one.

Ok
    jesus and Mary chain - April skies
    stones - gimme shelter
    Doors - roadhouse blues
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    I'll tentatively put myself down to be Angus in Noise Pollution (it is my username, after all...)

Okay with me (if I'm feeling brave I may have a go at the intro)!

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    Anyone fancy any Police / Jam / Clash …I’m in that mode at the minute

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    @Neilybob would it be possible to edit your first post in this thread to keep a tally of who's 'in' for the jam, so it's easy to check without scrolling through the thread.

Sorry I've been busy with other stuff, but I'll start a spreadsheet of songs very soon.

Good shout.  Done 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @stratman3142 please could you put me down to play rhythm on one of the run-throughs of Just What I Needed
    Yeah Ill have a go at The Cars Lead if there's a space...or whatever

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited October 2022
    There's an update to the songlist at the end of this post, with some roles filled and the key (concert pitch) included.

Let me know if you have any comments or spot anything wrong. I've put the concert pitch down, so people can decide whether they detune to match the original where applicable. A couple aren't actually at concert pitch so I've made a note of how much I think they're out.

@mrkb what do you want to do on Gimme Shelter? I've currently got you down for vocals, and you and me down for guitar

I've added two run throughs of Just What I Needed, one with @Bennyboy-UK on lead and one with @spark240. I've also added @Brocco on rhythm. I've put myself down on Bass for that one, unless anyone else wants to do it.

**Deleted image. See updated version in more recent post **

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    I’ll do vocals on all my suggestions and rhythm guitar.

will sing on Be Yourself - I’ve improved a lot at that since we did it a few years ago.

don’t know the drums to any of those suggestions so might not be able to do as many drum songs this time. 

Will do BRMC, but need to listen to other tracks to see what else I can drum on.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited October 2022
    mrkb said:
    I’ll do vocals on all my suggestions and rhythm guitar.

will sing on Be Yourself - I’ve improved a lot at that since we did it a few years ago.

don’t know the drums to any of those suggestions so might not be able to do as many drum songs this time. 

Will do BRMC, but need to listen to other tracks to see what else I can drum on.
    Updated songlist below

**Image removed. See more recent post for the latest update of the song list**

It's not a competition.
    spark240 said:
    how about I Fought The Law?
    edited October 2022
    I've updated the song list to show (in red) the ones where the guitar is tuned to Eb or D standard.
    * Indicates Eb standard
    ** Indicates D standard

For those songs, we can wait until we have a vocalist who can decide whether retuning is necessary to drop the keys.

It's not a competition.
    Brocco said:
    spark240 said:
    Yep…that can work..

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited November 2022
    spark240 said:
    Brocco said:
    spark240 said:
    Yep…that can work..

Added to the song list below:

It's not a competition.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    spark240 said:
    Brocco said:
    spark240 said:
    Yep…that can work..

Added to the song list below:

https://i.imgur.com/nPNI3pT.png

Put me down for lead guitar on my selections (songs 10,11,12) and Lead on April Skies. Happy to sing on that to if others want a go at it with a different lineup.
    edited November 2022
    bobblehat said:
    Put me down for lead guitar on my selections (songs 10,11,12) and Lead on April Skies. Happy to sing on that to if others want a go at it with a different lineup.

Update list below. I've got two run throughs  of April Skies now, one with @bobblehat on vocals and one with @mrkb.

I've just noticed that April Skies is tuned down a semitone. Do either of you want to do it in Eb or E?

It's not a competition.
  • Stick me down for rhythm on I Fought the Law.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• martmart Frets: 5165
    I can't help thinking we should follow I fought the law with something by the police, and then do Jailbreak after that.

And at some point in the past we talked about doing Bowie's version of China Girl, but it didn't happen in the end. Does anybody fancy channelling their inner SRV?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Stick me down for rhythm on I Fought the Law.
    +1 on another run-thru please
  • mart said:
    ....And at some point in the past we talked about doing Bowie's version of China Girl, but it didn't happen in the end. Does anybody fancy channelling their inner SRV?
    I've played Let's Dance in bands many times. Is that close enough? Otherwise I'm up for learning China Girl.

It's not a competition.
    Stick me down for rhythm on I Fought the Law.
    +1 on another run-thru please
    edited November 2022
    Here's an updated song list. I've got 2 run trhoughs of 'I Fought The Law', one with @Jonathangus on rhythm and one with @Brocco

I've also added China Girl at the suggestion of @mart. I'll have a go at the lead guitar role unless anyone else wants to do it.

Let me know if I've missed anything or if there are any errors.

It's not a competition.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Sorry I'm no good at thinking of songs! But I can figure things out quite easily. If something pops into my head I'll mention it
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    mart said:
    ....And at some point in the past we talked about doing Bowie's version of China Girl, but it didn't happen in the end. Does anybody fancy channelling their inner SRV?
    I've played Let's Dance in bands many times. Is that close enough? Otherwise I'm up for learning China Girl.
    I'd be happy with either Let's Dance or China Girl. 
  • mart said:
    mart said:
    I'd be happy with either Let's Dance or China Girl. 
    OK, I'll change it to Let's Dance at the next update, as I know that already.

It's not a competition.
    edited November 2022
    And another update to the song list, with Let's Dance replacing China Girl

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    OK  I might just pop down to "say hello" and be sociable  -   (I'll bring a geetar or two just in case) 

tho   I "might" be tempted to do vox on Just What I Needed (again !!)  Im no singer,  but I'll have a run through and get Mrs Bert to "pass judgement"  

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    bertie said:
    OK  I might just pop down to "say hello" and be sociable  -   (I'll bring a geetar or two just in case) 

tho   I "might" be tempted to do vox on Just What I Needed (again !!)  Im no singer,  but I'll have a run through and get Mrs Bert to "pass judgement"  

The more the merrier!
  • I was having a muse that I’d like to maybe have a crack at a bit of 80s hair metal - something like Nothing but a Good time by Poison or Dr Feelgood by Mötley Crüe.

Can we have go at those do you think?
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.