Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    Dates all fine with me! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    I don’t have a calendar for next year yet, so they must be ok for me as well.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    Feb 18th likely to be difficult (family birthday)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Looks like 11th February seems to be firm date with all that replied. 

Time for song requests?! What do you want to play? 

@stratman3142 you ok to capture song requests and add them to a spreadsheet please? 
  • Count me in.

(None of you is being expected to take the missus out for a meal at vastly inflated prices, I assume.  ;) )

Anyway, a few suggestions for something we haven't done before:

Terrorvision - Celebrity Hit List
    Therapy? - Die Laughing
    Volbeat - Fallen (this is in D standard)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    Count me in.

(None of you is being expected to take the missus out for a meal at vastly inflated prices, I assume.  ;) )

Therapy? - Die Laughing
    I’m up for anything off Troublegum, one of my very favourite albums. I still know Screamager and Nowhere off by heart!
  • Count me in.

Therapy? - Die Laughing
    I’m up for anything off Troublegum, one of my very favourite albums. I still know Screamager and Nowhere off by heart!
    @onlyonebradders and I will both agree with you on that one.

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited October 2022
    Neilybob said:
    Looks like 11th February seems to be firm date with all that replied. 

Time for song requests?! What do you want to play? 

@stratman3142 you ok to capture song requests and add them to a spreadsheet please? 

OK. Should we start with limiting ourselves to three suggestions each, then see which ones get takers.

...(None of you is being expected to take the missus out for a meal at vastly inflated prices, I assume.  )...

M&S Valentine's meal deal for us

It's not a competition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    My song choices are

Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy
    Paradise City - Guns n Roses
    Runnin' Down a Dream - Tom Petty 

Happy to play rhythm guitar on these or bass.

• Neilybob said:
    My song choices are

Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy

Jail Break and Paradise City are both tuned dowm a semitone. So we'll need to decide whether we'll play them in the key track sounds or a semitone higher. When I start the song list I'll put question against those songs until we get a vocalist, so they can decide.

It's not a competition.
    Neilybob said:
    My song choices are

Jailbreak - Thin Lizzy

Jail Break and Paradise City are both tuned dowm a semitone. So we'll need to decide whether we'll play them in the key track sounds or a semitone higher. When I start the song list I'll put question against those songs until we get a vocalist, so they can decide.

Sounds like a plan. Tbh I play Jailbreak and PC in 440 anyway. But happy to go with the majority. 
    edited October 2022
    @Neilybob provided we've got a couple of fixed bridge guitars available on the day it's always possible to quickly detune, if the songs don't lend themselves being played in E standard tuning. 

But it's good to be prepared in advance.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    @Neilybob provided we've got a couple of fixed bridge guitars available on the day it's always possible to quickly detune, if the songs don't lend themselves being played in E standard tuning. 

or detune one, and capo the 1st  for the "normal" songs ;)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    bertie said:

or detune one, and capo the 1st  for the "normal" songs ;)
    That's a good shout thanks 
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    February is a long time ahead for me, so planning is difficult, but I'll aim to be there if I can.
    My songs suggestion this time are:

AC/DC - Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
    Atlanta Rhythm Section - So Into You
    Audioslave - Be Yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Any other song requests? 
  • I'll try to pick 3 this week and start a spreadsheet.

It's not a competition.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    3 from me:

Spread your love  - BRMC 
    Gold on the ceiling - The Black Keys
    Survival Car - Fountains of Wayne

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    Brocco said:

Audioslave - Be Yourself
    AC/DC is a good call...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    Brocco said:

Audioslave - Be Yourself
    AC/DC is a good call...
    Yeah, already started looking at this one.  Might be an Angus solo that's slow enough to cope with!

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1565
    edited October 2022
    Neilybob said:
    Any other song requests? 
    Evening

I quite liked Just what I needed by the Cars - I know it ok and can play the lead break ‘relatively’ reliably…

I was quite excited to see Therapy? suggested - I’ve got the right guitar for early 90s Andy Cairns as it happens if someone wanted to use it (*ahem @Vibetronic )

Continuing the 90s theme how about some Ash, Fun Lovin Criminals or early Manics like Slash and Burn, Korean Bodega, Minibar Blues something like that?

I have no idea of those are even doable being so naive about live playing - pls correct as needed.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited October 2022
    Id be up for Audioslave - Be Yourself and Gold on the ceiling - The Black Keys - great songs

My 3 suggestions-
    Rolling Stones - not sure what yet - Dead Flowers ? Gimme Shelter?
    The Doors - Roadhouse Blues
    Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey - a heavily fuzzed out reverb soaked 3 guitar version. Or Darklands - came up next on spotify!!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    spark240 said:
    Brocco said:

Audioslave - Be Yourself
    AC/DC is a good call...
    Easy to drum!
  • A tentative maybe! Definitely interested!
    Some tasty tunes guys. Liking the sound of this playlist so far. 
    Neilybob said:
    Any other song requests? 
    Evening

I quite liked Just what I needed by the Cars - I know it ok and can play the lead break ‘relatively’ reliably…

I was quite excited to see Therapy? suggested - I’ve got the right guitar for early 90s Andy Cairns as it happens if someone wanted to use it (*ahem @Vibetronic )

Continuing the 90s theme how about some Ash, Fun Lovin Criminals or early Manics like Slash and Burn, Korean Bodega, Minibar Blues something like that?

I have no idea of those are even doable being so naive about live playing - pls correct as needed.

+1 for Just What I Needed
    edited October 2022
    @Neilybob would it be possible to edit your first post in this thread to keep a tally of who's 'in' for the jam, so it's easy to check without scrolling through the thread.

Sorry I've been busy with other stuff, but I'll start a spreadsheet of songs very soon.

It's not a competition.
  • mrkb said:
    Id be up for Audioslave - Be Yourself and Gold on the ceiling - The Black Keys - great songs

My 3 suggestions-
    Rolling Stones - not sure what yet - Dead Flowers ? Gimme Shelter?
    The Doors - Roadhouse Blues
    Jesus and Mary Chain - Just Like Honey - a heavily fuzzed out reverb soaked 3 guitar version. Or Darklands - came up next on spotify!!

It would be good to narrow it down to 3 specific choices. I used to play Gimme Shelter, so I'm OK with the guitar on that one.

It's not a competition.
    edited October 2022
    Here's a preliminary list of songs, plus I've guessed at some of the roles. You can zoom in if you click on the image.

Let me know what roles you want, any other comments/additions or if you spot any errors/omissions. I'll add the original keys in the next update.

**Image deleted: see update in later post**

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter