Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Who's gigging tonight? - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Who's gigging tonight?

What's Hot

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    Last Saturday at the Dublin Castle in Camden, tonight was a live set for resonance FM
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    That looks incredible! My gig was in the much more humble and sparsely populated Dudley town centre. It went well, I've been trying out a closed back greenback loaded 2x12 cab with my ac30 and it's making me pretty damn happy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tonight (Saturday 7th), Crimson on Silver make our second trip to Leigh on Sea in Essex, The Ship.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

It was indeed an incredible feeling cheers, and thanks, Mike, it went really well - it's such a weird and surreal experience that just doesn't come up every day. I recommend it! Would love to have my proper valve amp stack sound but never mind.. :)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

Viz you should have asked to borrow my DSL, all valve goodness, and a line-out so it can be plugged straight into the PA... 

I not at all jealous of the crowd either. No. Not Me. Not at all. (My biggest crowd - the Emperor.........)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

That could have been an idea thank you old chap, and as a matter of fact I am investigating that sort of thing. There's a good Brian May valve thingamywhotsit. Sometimes you just need some heads and 4x12s to stand in front of though dontcha?
    viz said:
    That could have been an idea thank you old chap, and as a matter of fact I am investigating that sort of thing. There's a good Brian May valve thingamywhotsit. Sometimes you just need some heads and 4x12s to stand in front of though dontcha?

Perfect for some "bedroom guitaring" (Bedroom noodling sounds so wrong.......)

A colleagues son, for his playing at home, has a 100w Marshall stack and a Gibson LP...........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

edited December 2013
    Yep I play at home with two Carvin 100w heads and two 4x12 cabs mwahahaha! (turned to 0.025 on the master vol.)
    At least on the DSL, at home, I can turn it higher than that (2, but at 4 it'll compete with a drummerist, and Manic's stack....)

:)
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    As a matter of interest Mike_l where do you set your channel volume and gain on the DSL?
    Don't touch that dial.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    The Bull, East Dereham (Suffolk). 

Third time this year so we must be doing something right... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    edited December 2013
    Fez said:
    As a matter of interest Mike_l where do you set your channel volume and gain on the DSL?

Depends on how I feel.

Drive channel, gain anywhere from 25% to max, channel vol usually around 50%.

Clean channel gain usually around 50%, enough to cruch with high power pups, but cleaner than a clean thing with a strat

I have enough drive pedals that I can easily add more gain if I want

• Rock covers tonight with Blinkwatch at The Copper Pot in Leamington Spa.
    Mike_l Thanks
    Don't touch that dial.
    Fez said:
    Mike_l Thanks

You're welcome.

A Bad Monkey works well for extra gain on the drive channel. Actually, so does an MXR Zakk Wylde. And for a pure volume boost an MXR Microamp (single knob version) in the loop.

• Cirrus;99742" said:
    That looks incredible!

My gig was in the much more humble and sparsely populated Dudley town centre. It went well, I've been trying out a closed back greenback loaded 2x12 cab with my ac30 and it's making me pretty damn happy.
    @Cirrus where in Dudley? I can't think of a regular venue anywhere in central Dudley anymore?
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    A place called "the courthouse". Pub downstairs, 1920s ball room upstairs with stage lights and PA. They've been putting on gigs for a year or so, ran by 'the Baseline Studios" who are a local rehearsal/recording complex. Last night was the Shed in Leicester, alongside Chrome Molly who I think had some success in the 1980s, and two amazingly good bands, one was a bunch of 17/18 year olds and the other playing awesomely tight metal were all 13!
    Mike_l
    Which DSL is yours mine is the 401 combo and has a parallel effects loop and doesn't seem to like a boost in the loop (the serial loop on the jcm 900 is much better) or is there some trick to the set up?

Cheers
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Cirrus;100528" said:
    A place called "the courthouse". Pub downstairs, 1920s ball room upstairs with stage lights and PA. They've been putting on gigs for a year or so, ran by 'the Baseline Studios" who are a local rehearsal/recording complex.<!</div>
    I know where that is. They used to have bands on there years ago.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    Fez said:
    Mike_l
    Which DSL is yours mine is the 401 combo and has a parallel effects loop and doesn't seem to like a boost in the loop (the serial loop on the jcm 900 is much better) or is there some trick to the set up?

Cheers

Same, it doesn't like the MXR phaser/chorus/flanger in the loop, as, although it sounds perfect (to my ear) there is a massive volume drop. But it does like the MXR Microamp there. I actually prefer the sound of the MA as a volume boost to the amp's own lead sound.

I tend to put the MA's knob to around 50-60%, I did once put it up higher (75%) but the volume difference was massive.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    JayGee said:
    The Bull, East Dereham (Suffolk). 

Third time this year so we must be doing something right... :-)

Lively night with the Christmas party season seemingly getting into full swing already

Mmmmmmmm! Drunk girls in party frocks dancing..... :-)

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    Mike_l
    Thanks. I sometimes use a BYOC Triboost set to clean boost in the loop on my Blackstar HT20 and similarly you have to be careful how much boost you dial in or you get a massive level increase.

Cheers
    Don't touch that dial.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 306
    Disco, Funk, Soul, RnB, and some more Funk tonight at As You Like It in Jesmond, Ncl.

Groove Central Station that is..

First gig after 5 years or so.. Should be fun!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Catthan;104281" said:
    Disco, Funk, Soul, RnB, and some more Funk tonight at As You Like It in Jesmond, Ncl.

Groove Central Station that is..

First gig after 5 years or so.. Should be fun!
    Have a good one @Catthan and sounds like my sort of band! Will you be using the Lonestar?

All the best, Cos
    Kebabkid said:
    Have a good one @Catthan and sounds like my sort of band! Will you be using the Lonestar?

All the best, Cos
    Hey Cos, was quite good last night, at least after such a long absence from the gigging scene..
    Unfortunately the fat fucker (Lonestar) fried a power tube and a screen resistor after it OD'd on coffee in Wednesday's rehearsal and is at the doctor's atm,, I played the singer's twin which I hate (no luck with Fenders) but I'm grateful indeed that the guy brought it to the gig for me.

Gigging tonight also and will probably play the Badger. The Lonestar sounded quite good before it fried tho,,

All the best bud!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Ouch @Catthan! Glad you had a backup
  • Playing in Stoke sub Hamden WMC tonight ! Thrilled !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Mmmmeeeee!!! Gonna try the fat-fucker (Mesa LSS) out too.. Venue: As you like it , Jesmond, Newcastle