Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). General Gaming thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1300
    Has anyone played legend of dragoon? It's a game I desperately wanted on the ps1 when I played a demo disc as a kid, but couldn't ever find it in a shop. 

I've started a game and it's honestly completely charming and basically a final fantasy game. If I could change one thing, I'd turn off the character shouting the name of the move you've just used on the enemy ("VOLCANO!"). 
    if playing on emulator, perhaps try an "undub" fan patched version.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We caved in the other day, and bought the PS5 Media Remote due to just how bad the battery life in the controllers are, night and day difference - and the media remote for the PS5 is shit the battery tray cover for example while nice and easy to remove to change batteries doesn't properly fit the remote it actually over hangs at the front by quite a lot, and that's just for using the PS5 as a media center.  Knowing what I know now, I'd have been well pissed of if I had had to pay for our PS5 instead of scoring them for free, I'd have brought them back for a refund.  The PS5 in our opinion - my household and mates opinion, is not a ''generation improvement'' over the PS4 Pro, if anything the PS5 should really be called the PS4 Pro 2, sure the graphics are better, but the sound quality is a lot worse - no optical output, and then there is the PS5 games, or rather lack of them.  The fact that Sony are still selling PS4s - granted the Pro version, and that new games are still being released for the PS4, really tells you a lot about the PS5, and what it says is not good.  We're actually regretting giving away our PS4s.

I’d generally agree with this too, the PS5 doesn’t feel like a big leap vs. the PS4 - particularly if you had the PS4 Pro. Still, there’s not much point in going back now! I’m also lucky in that my tv remote works on the PS5, but I rarely use it as a media player these days anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    I just use the LG remote control app for my TV on my phone. It controls the TV and the PlayStation.

The PS5 is absolutely a much more powerful console than the PS4 Pro. It has ray tracing, 8K (coming), over twice the GPU power, UHD Blu Ray, 8 core CPU at 3.5GHz and the new controller is definitely next gen.

The only reason we may not see huge differences in the performance is because it's at the beginning of it's cycle and the PS4 was at the end, so there's crossover. Spider-Man 2 looks to be a seriously demanding game, and it will surely showcase the potential of the PS5.

But objectively, it is a much more advanced piece of tech than the PS4 Pro. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    We caved in the other day, and bought the PS5 Media Remote due to just how bad the battery life in the controllers are, night and day difference - and the media remote for the PS5 is shit the battery tray cover for example while nice and easy to remove to change batteries doesn't properly fit the remote it actually over hangs at the front by quite a lot, and that's just for using the PS5 as a media center.  Knowing what I know now, I'd have been well pissed of if I had had to pay for our PS5 instead of scoring them for free, I'd have brought them back for a refund.  The PS5 in our opinion - my household and mates opinion, is not a ''generation improvement'' over the PS4 Pro, if anything the PS5 should really be called the PS4 Pro 2, sure the graphics are better, but the sound quality is a lot worse - no optical output, and then there is the PS5 games, or rather lack of them.  The fact that Sony are still selling PS4s - granted the Pro version, and that new games are still being released for the PS4, really tells you a lot about the PS5, and what it says is not good.  We're actually regretting giving away our PS4s.

I’d generally agree with this too, the PS5 doesn’t feel like a big leap vs. the PS4 - particularly if you had the PS4 Pro. Still, there’s not much point in going back now! I’m also lucky in that my tv remote works on the PS5, but I rarely use it as a media player these days anyway.

I just use the LG remote control app for my TV on my phone. It controls the TV and the PlayStation. That remote is overpriced. 

We actually wanted to go with the LG remote - we watched a number of YouTube videos and reviews first all of them said go the LG route over the PS5 Media Remote, I'm not joking when I say that the PS5 Media Remote is night and day difference compared to using the controller for watching YouTube and such - it doesn't need to be recharged every 30 minutes for a start, it is still shit though especially considering it's price really really shit QC - the battery cover over hanging the battery tray by about 1cm at the front is just one of such issues.  We couldn't source one from anywhere in the UK any model from the sub £30 one to the over £100 quid ones, and as for the app, neither of us could be bothered with that.

Funnily enough we have a Sony TV, and one that is newer, as in it wasn't released until after the PS5, and surprisingly the Sony remote for our Sony TV, doesn't work, or is even noticed by the PS5, however for some strange reason, the PS5 Media Remote, controls the TV flawlessly, though obviously it doesn't allow you to control as much of the TV - things like setting up the wireless network connection opening menus like the home page, as the remote that came with the TV does.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I got a PS5 remote on day 1. Then I realised my TV remote can also talk to it so have barely used it. It's a nice idea but the wobbly curved bottom and weird battery cover are very strange design choices. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    Borderland 3 is out on Switch next week, so I might treat myself to that to add to the huge pile of Switch games I haven’t played yet. 

• PennPenn Frets: 351
    I’ve played a bit more of starfield. I kind of like it but it feels like a very old game. Some of it like the Crimson Fleet missions are actually fairly good. It’s just a bit average. Feels like they prioritised quantity not quality. 

I was looking forward to Cities Skylines 2 but it seems to have been delayed. On the developer website it says console next year now. Helpfully Game pass still says 24th October. I’m assuming it will get changed. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I built myself a particularly elegant ship in Starfield. Presenting SkyPiggy.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    That looks pretty good actually, wouldn't look out of place in Firefly.
    edited October 2023
    I still don't have Starfield but if I did I'd be flying in this thing

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    That looks pretty good actually, wouldn't look out of place in Firefly.
    Thank you. I am quite pleased with it. Lots of space for crew and passengers, very nippy with the four engines, and the four particle beams go straight through most other ships.

Took some tweaking to get the ladders in the right places. 

Oh and it only has two legs on the other side. Shame to eat a pig like that all at once. 
  • Looks really cool @Sporky !

I agree - game feels dated a bit but I still enjoy it. I'm not glued and obsessed with it like I imagined but some missions are pretty cool and there's a LOT to explore.
    I don't disagree with the criticism, but I'm still really enjoying it - it is almost exactly what I expected. Fallrim in space.
  • Pah to all the new modern rubbish :astonished:  I have finally did the workbench hack on the amiga mini... ain't she pretty. 

• maraudermarauder Frets: 130
    Almost as pretty as the real thing.

• marauder said:
    Almost as pretty as the real thing.

Nice,  I have a real Atari ST and CBM 128 but my Amiga was sold for parts a while back when it went bang.
  • My (rarely used) Switch has succumbed to the dreaded joycon drifting. Are there any worthwhile aftermarket options that charge the same way as Nintendo’s ones, or should I just get another set of ‘proper’ ones?
  • My (rarely used) Switch has succumbed to the dreaded joycon drifting. Are there any worthwhile aftermarket options that charge the same way as Nintendo’s ones, or should I just get another set of ‘proper’ ones?
    Have you opened a support ticket with Nintendo? You might find you're eligible for repair/replacement. 
    I finished Everspace 2 (not 100%, there's lots still to do). Well worth a go; the story us cheesy but the flying around shooting things is very decent.

Tried Lies Of P, but it's every bit the souls-like-punishment-fest I expected. No fun for me. Then Signalis which was ugly and boring.

Now on Cocoon which is rather good; by the Limbo/Inside people but completely different. Hint of Hobb to it. 
  • have been playing the new forza game and been enjoying it a lot i have to say. yes there are issues though with the game the biggest by far is having to level your car up to get upgrades for it. hopefully turn 10 will remedy that issue as everyone who has played the game is complaining about it. 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 118
    have been playing the new forza game and been enjoying it a lot i have to say. yes there are issues though with the game the biggest by far is having to level your car up to get upgrades for it. hopefully turn 10 will remedy that issue as everyone who has played the game is complaining about it. 

Is it free on Game Pass? All I could see was a paid extras pack
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    I need a game recommendation.   

I’ve got a PS4….  I like COD but feel I’ve taken it as far as I can, and I like Fifa but always end up spending waaay too much time on it. 

I loved Fallout 4 but avoided the follow up due to terrible reviews.   I was recommended both Red Or Dead games and didn’t really like them…. Same goes for No Mans Sky.  

So with all that in mind, what am I missing out on?
    RobDavies said:

I’ve got a PS4….  I like COD but feel I’ve taken it as far as I can, and I like Fifa but always end up spending waaay too much time on it. 

I loved Fallout 4 but avoided the follow up due to terrible reviews.   I was recommended both Red Or Dead games and didn’t really like them…. Same goes for No Mans Sky.  

Skyrim and Spider-Man - if you don’t enjoy either of those you’re dead inside.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rkphilpot said:
    have been playing the new forza game and been enjoying it a lot i have to say. yes there are issues though with the game the biggest by far is having to level your car up to get upgrades for it. hopefully turn 10 will remedy that issue as everyone who has played the game is complaining about it. 

Is it free on Game Pass? All I could see was a paid extras pack
    the standard version will be free on gamepass on tuesday onwards. i bought the ultimate edition version which lets you play it 5 days early. 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sporky said:
    I finished Everspace 2 (not 100%, there's lots still to do). Well worth a go; the story us cheesy but the flying around shooting things is very decent.

Tried Lies Of P, but it's every bit the souls-like-punishment-fest I expected. No fun for me. Then Signalis which was ugly and boring.

Now on Cocoon which is rather good; by the Limbo/Inside people but completely different. Hint of Hobb to it. 
    This looks awesome. Will get on it :) 
    Have you opened a support ticket with Nintendo? You might find you're eligible for repair/replacement. 
    I’ve not, but it’s one of the very first batch (2017) so should be well outside of support by now I’d have thought???
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    edited October 2023
    RobDavies said:

Just ordered Skyrim.   If I don’t like it, you owe me nine quid.  

I couldn’t possibly entertain Spider-Man because I’m 52.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    Sporky said:

This looks awesome. Will get on it  
    Lovely art style, and the puzzle mechanics are good too. 
    RobDavies said:
    RobDavies said:

You should - it’s ace!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    RobDavies said:
    RobDavies said:

Uncharted

4 or the PS3 trilogy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter