Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    Yep, my lightweight R8 (7.9lbs) has more of an acoustic ring to it than my slightly heavier R9 (8.2lbs).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My R8 is 8Ib 14oz 

It has a very bright and airy tone and I love it. Thought initially that it may sound dark
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    They do vary, weight isn't the be-all and end-all.  I prefer light and airy tones and there's a higher chance of finding that in a lighter guitar, but it's not a guarantee.
  • Oh dear just put deposit down on tobacco R9 at Epsom GG, still not sure till I physically try it 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    lp59boy said:
    Oh dear just put deposit down on tobacco R9 at Epsom GG, still not sure till I physically try it 
    Good work!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m bumping this thread as it was halfway down page 2 and that is not acceptable 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m bumping this thread as it was halfway down page 2 and that is not acceptable 
    Quite right.

This thread needs to live FOREVER!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Statistically is this the most read thread in Fretboard history? Also is it the biggest thread in terms of replies?

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    Boromedic said:
    Statistically is this the most read thread in Fretboard history? Also is it the biggest thread in terms of replies?
    No, I think @Gassage buying a Boss Katana reached in excess of 100,000 views and almost the same in incredulous comments =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hahahahaha :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Now this thread has reappeared, I just wanted to mention how delighted I am with my iced tea R8.

it the most I have ever spent on a guitar, but boy was it worth it in my opinion!
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Purely in the interest of keeping the thread alive, here is another photo of mine

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dbphoto said:
    Purely in the interest of keeping the thread alive, here is another photo of mine

Now that's beautiful!

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I agree - and well photographed.

(bump).
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Mine's booked in for minor surgery 
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Gorgeous. I've been trying (and failing) to take decent photos of mine but here's one that shows a little bit more of the quilting / marbling / something that is all over the guitar:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2018
    With a Washed cherry and Iced tea R8, these dirty lemon pics are killing me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dbphoto said:

Yeah but you're a photographer person so...so there
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • After some initial teething problems, mine seems to be a bit more stable now too. I'm really enjoying this guitar a lot.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 301
    A bit late to the party as I've been away but thanks to the great customer service from Doug and Marc at Coda I had this Dirty Lemon waiting for me when I got back, 8 lb 11oz. I haven't had chance to play through an amp yet but acoustically it sounds really nice, rings as clear as a bell and is quite loud! Feels quite light compared to my 96 standard. It's very easy to play and just has a great overall feel, really pleased! 

https://i.imgur.com/hXo42XG.png

https://i.imgur.com/DqHfqIV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mF6mfeE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kdT8bAD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VQIU7bH.jpg

A plain top but quite a lot going on! @johnl I agree it's quite hard to capture the true colour and grain in a pic, it's amazing the different things you can see depending on the light or angle. I'll try and get some better pics 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Nice - Dirty Lemon for the win  ;)
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1111
    terada said:
    With a Washed cherry and Iced tea R8, these dirty lemon pics are killing me.
    You know there’s an easy way to solve that ;)
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    edited September 2018

• TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    edited September 2018
    I think that perhaps it should all be all a bit more personal really.

Took the time to actually visit GG Brum today with one R9 and an R0 fixed in my list to check out; but was surprised by the mix and that a couple of R9's had necks closer to R0, so after trying a few, with absolutely no pressure in the shop, I picked a finish I was happy with and........hey, NGD - R9, iced tea 8.1lbs and a neck that feels somewhere between R9 and R0. Its not the flamey-ist, but it suits me just fine. Try before buying is the motto; I guess....
  • For those who've tried a few of these 2017 R8s, how much did the necks vary & how big did they get? Were any close to R8s from 2014/15?

breadfan said:
    For those who've tried a few of these 2017 R8s, how much did the necks vary & how big did they get? Were any close to R8s from 2014/15?
    Obviously can only comment on the ones I own/have played, but of the 5 or so 2017s I have played, all have had necks with less shoulder than my 2014 R8.
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1399
    edited September 2018
    breadfan said:
    For those who've tried a few of these 2017 R8s, how much did the necks vary & how big did they get? Were any close to R8s from 2014/15?
    I haven’t played a 14/15 but I have played a lot of 2017s. I found the 2017s to be extremely consistent. Almost all felt pretty much the same. I played one R9 that felt like an R0 neck like was mentioned a few posts above. But the R8s were all pretty consistent with very minor variation between them. Only played one 2017 R8 that had some D shaped shoulder, the rest were all C shaped with not much shoulder.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Twinfan said:

I ordered two R9s and returned one.  Although the maple top on it looked fabulous, the one I returned felt a bit rough around the edges, had a more boxy neck shape and didn't ring out well on the top strings.  There's no way I would have considered keeping it, unlike the one I am keeping which is superior in every way.

And funnily enough, although it seems a bit crazy to order two R9s, doing so enabled you to make a very clear comparison and be sure that the one you kept was a good one.
    If only there was some sort of place you could visit with a selection of guitars you could play...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    meltedbuzzbox said:
    If only there was some sort of place you could visit with a selection of guitars you could play...
    The two I wanted to try were in Glasgow and Epsom, and I live in Manchester...
  • The fatter neck R9 actually pleasantly surprised me even though I have small hands.