Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• mortmort Frets: 709
    terada said:
    mort said:
    :) My dirty lemon
    Stunner. Enough said

Thanks! I'm really pleased with it - in low light indoors it almost looks like a goldtop!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited August 2018
    breadfan said:
    @terada Could I call second dibs on the one on the left?

I remember the pics from when you bought it - it's a stunner! How does it compare to the new one? Is the neck a lot bigger & can you really feel the rolled fingerboard of the 2017?

Thanks @breadfan . It has given me many years of fun so far! 

It has been quite interesting to compare. Tonally they are quite different, the 2014 is very bright, almost tele bright, but with a lot of warmth at the neck. The 2017 is definitely fuller and fatter across the spectrum on the bridge, and more smooth at the neck. Surprising how different two can be! The 2014 sings with my orange amp, while the 2017 makes my Marshall scream.

The neck thickness is not so different, I find the 2017 to have less shoulder, almost as if it is more of a slight v profile, whereas the 2014 is a more full and rounded profile. Both are great to play though.

I was most surprised by the rolled edges of the 2017. They are pretty noticeable indeed!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2018

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2018
    terada said:
    terada said:
    A brace of R8's

That left hand one is *perfect*

If you ever want to sell...
    Thanks @stickyfiddle . the left one is my 2014 R8. The best bit about that one though isn't the looks, it is the tone. That one in particular resonates like no other les Paul I've played.

Here's another pic of the two together

I'm sure the new one is better and therefore you should sell the other because obviously you'll never use it now. I will give you *several* curly wurlies in return... D 

I do quite like curly wurlies...
  • pmgpmg Frets: 297
    terada said:
    breadfan said:
    @terada Could I call second dibs on the one on the left? ;)

I remember the pics from when you bought it - it's a stunner! How does it compare to the new one? Is the neck a lot bigger & can you really feel the rolled fingerboard of the 2017?

It has been quite interesting to compare. Tonally they are quite different, the 2014 is very bright, almost tele bright, but with a lot of warmth at the neck. The 2017 is definitely fuller and fatter across the spectrum on the bridge, and more smooth at the neck. Surprising how different two can be! The 2014 sings with my orange amp, while the 2017 makes my Marshall scream.

The neck thickness is not so different, I find the 2014 to have less shoulder, almost as if it is more of a slight v profile, whereas the 2014 is a more full and rounded profile. Both are great to play though.

I was most surprised by the rolled edges of the 2017. They are pretty noticeable indeed!

My strat has rolled edges and the first time I played it was a bit of a wow moment.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 459
    These are some mighty fine guitars. It’ll be torture waiting until Tuesday for mine
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 363
    terada said:
    breadfan said:

The neck thickness is not so different, I find the 2017 to have less shoulder, almost as if it is more of a slight v profile, whereas the 2014 is a more full and rounded profile. Both are great to play though.

Thanks for the comparison! I wonder how much of the difference is down to weight - have you weighed both of them?

I've not tried a guitar with a rolled fingerboard - it certainly sounds nice :)

I was so tempted to jump on one of these but I really didn't want to buy without first trying & - more importantly - the disposable income just isn't there at the moment! 

The top carve on the 2017 is stunning!

breadfan said:
    terada said:
    breadfan said:

Thanks for the comparison! I wonder how much of the difference is down to weight - have you weighed both of them?

I've not tried a guitar with a rolled fingerboard - it certainly sounds nice :)

I was so tempted to jump on one of these but I really didn't want to buy without first trying & - more importantly - the disposable income just isn't there at the moment! 

The top carve on the 2017 is stunning!
    The 2014 is 9lb dead (or 8lb15oz if you remove the custom shop badge)
    The 2017 is 8lb 10oz (or 8lb 9oz as above)

I expected the lighter one to be brighter, but no, I guess they all just have their own voice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited August 2018
    Wow it's been an amazing day on here! Some cracking guitars, congrats all and that Tokai looks lovely too fella.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• My mate got his yesterday too, so chuffed for him, completes the set of 4 beautiful Les Paul's (Standard, Traditional, Classic and R8), what a sublime collection!!!...

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    WOW!!!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • terada said:

Wow, these Cherries look waaay better than the stock photos did. I love that!

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Sitting with a bottle of wine changing the strings on mine to my usual Elixir’s and this lightweight tailpiece thing is certainly true!
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1399
    Ok so the second R8 arrived. It was described by GG as "figured top washed cherry". Even though it was a lucky dip I thought what the hell, it's a figured top R8 for £2499 - what can go wrong!? Much to my surprise when I opened the box it was the plainest of plain tops. I contacted GG about it and after a few hours they got back to me and told me that it is still a figured top even though it is plain... Am I completely misunderstanding what a figured top is or are they spinning me a load of ****?
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    gringopig said:
    I've been playing my R8 quite a bit now and my thoughts are:
    Tone (ahem Timbre) between pickups is tighter than my 1968 re-issue. That guitar is all fat jazz on neck and Tele attack on bridge whereas the R8 occupies the zone in between with less difference between pickups and a tighter more mid-range focused sound.

I did a quick video on my smart phone to try and capture a sense of the thing. Amp is a 1978 Fender Twin Reverb and both neck and bridge volumes are on 8 ish:

That sounds fantastic - has that lovely ‘open’ vintage thing going on.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Had a bit of time with mine now.  Cleans and edge of breakup are stunning through my Lazy J.  Don't have my pedal board at home, and haven't been able to wind the amp up for drive sounds due to wife, daughters, and neighbours.  Drive sounds are really good using Kemper through Studio monitors.

It's not quite as beefy as my old R8, but it's a lot more articulate.

Overall very happy with it.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    mort said:

Think yours is my favourite yet, perfectly understated with some elegant touches in the grain. Enjoy!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    hyperben said:
    Ok so the second R8 arrived. It was described by GG as "figured top washed cherry". Even though it was a lucky dip I thought what the hell, it's a figured top R8 for £2499 - what can go wrong!? Much to my surprise when I opened the box it was the plainest of plain tops. I contacted GG about it and after a few hours they got back to me and told me that it is still a figured top even though it is plain... Am I completely misunderstanding what a figured top is or are they spinning me a load of ****?
    Let’s see it.  Sounds like bull, but we have no idea what it looks like
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 779
    hyperben said:
    Yep @Panama_Jack666 bought one exactly the same, lucky for him he wanted a plain top but it is wrongly advertised as the figured tops as we all know command a higher price.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • brownovichbrownovich Frets: 417
    There’s been some stunners on here today! I’ll be honest I couldn’t give a monkeys what any of them weigh though! :) They all look like cracking Lesters and I hope everyone enjoys their new purchases! Keep em coming people, it’s an orgy of bursts!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    hyperben said:
    Let’s see it.  Sounds like bull, but we have no idea what it looks like
    looking at some pics posted so far, some guys have got figured tops for £2499, but most/many are plain, as described for same price - So somewhat of a F.O.C bonus if you got a figured top

However if they have told you it is figured and that is not the case, then yes sounds out of order and some form of crap has been spun

Quite clear a plain top is a plain top and a figured top a figured top, even if the same price in this promo - granted 'lucky dip' time as you say, but if you are told figured then that is what I'd expect - You obviously have a legal option to return if required, or ask them and see how you get on, about acquiring a figured top as promised - I'd be tempted to call on this and sort it out this way, as against an e-mail that might just be handled by any 'operator' - Try and find someone with authority when you call who can update and administer as required
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3432
    edited August 2018
    Is it a plain top if you can see wood grain? What does figured mean?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    dbphoto said:
    Sitting with a bottle of wine changing the strings on mine to my usual Elixir’s and this lightweight tailpiece thing is certainly true!
    Yeah it's creepy as hell the first few times you pick one up!
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    hyperben said:
    you bought 2, when demand is through the roof and some people stretching their budgets are being turned down?

limited sympathy.

send it back if not happy, write it off to karma with good grace.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pmbomb said:
    hyperben said:
    you bought 2, when demand is through the roof and some people stretching their budgets are being turned down?

limited sympathy.

That's a bit rough. Surely he has every right to buy as many as he likes, no?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5307
    Its a nice problem to have, but if you're not happy (and for 2.5k you should be) why not send it back?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1068
    I've also blindly ordered a Iced Tea from GG. I prefer plain tops over figured but would be happy with either.

Those who have ordered from GG what have you got plain or figured? 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    pmbomb said:
    hyperben said:

limited sympathy.

That's a bit rough. Surely he has every right to buy as many as he likes, no?
    Have I disputed that?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3432
    edited August 2018
    Ignore me