Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• I think people have become aware that some, not all, of the R8 buyers (not just forum members) may have done it to try and make cash....
    They’ll be lucky - there’s a R8 on sale in one of the Facebook groups now for £1,700.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • skikdi53skikdi53 Frets: 198
    Mine received today.
    http://imgur.com/gallery/Pu9MzxQ
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • https://imgur.com/gallery/NPsRqZV

Some plaintop action. Had a bit more chance to play it recently and it really is a good example of a Les Paul in my opinion! I love me a plaintop too! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1068
    @AlexO what R8 do you have? If it's Tobacco, I'll personally fund your strat.
    It's a Iced Tea mine mate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Well I currently have 3 2017s. Not selling them, hopefully ever. May swap one for a tobacco R9, but that's the only potential change.

I was in awe of les pauls as a kid, and owning the triumvirate is the realisation of a dream.

I'd never be able to do that at the regular price, and they all have their own characters. One open and airy, one bright and twangy, and one fat and fearsome. I've traded a lot of good gear for them though, but I don't mind, they are wonderful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Played mine at rehearsal for the first time last night. I think the last chord I played is still sustaining...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 584
    On the pickup discussion, I have a pair of vintage early 60s PAT stickered HB's (closest thing to PAFs)  that I will be throwing into my 2017 58 or 59 to compare to the Custom Buckers. I'll take a few sound samples and share them when I do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2727
    skikdi53 said:
    C'est manifique!
    Beautiful. Glad you got one in the end!
  • skikdi53 said:
    That is gorgeous!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    thebreeze said:
    skikdi53 said:
    C'est manifique!
    Merci.
    Thank's all.
    Very happy and exciting waiting this evening to try with the amp.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Not a Les Paul chap.. but what makes an R8 so nice compared to say a regular Gibson Les Paul?
    You are all gushing over how great they are, and getting warm and fuzzys.. and i'm here... all cold and not fuzzy. 

So in basic terms.. why are they so good to you?
     Is there something special about an R8 or is it just a high end/well made guitar that's special for a Gibson enthusiast?
    LuttiS said:
    Not a Les Paul chap.. but what makes an R8 so nice compared to say a regular Gibson Les Paul?
    You are all gushing over how great they are, and getting warm and fuzzys.. and i'm here... all cold and not fuzzy. 

Is there something special about an R8 or is it just a high end/well made guitar that's special for a Gibson enthusiast?
    It is (clearly) a high end guitar, so I guess there is that side. For me the key bits are the following:

- Weight - they are all solid and still much lighter than the standard line.
    - Neck Profile - the R9 profile is just lovely, and not available on USA line.
    - Custombuckers - Really lovely pickups in these
    - Brighter - they tend to be brighter than USA line, be that the tenon, the truss rod thing, or something else.
    - Neck Angle - all of the ones I've played have had great neck angles, so the bridge can be low and the tailpiece screwed down to the body.
    - The look - Opinion of the VOS finish to one side, they have more subtle bursts than the USA line, and thinner finishes.
    - All the ones I've played have felt great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • terada said:
    LuttiS said:

It is (clearly) a high end guitar, so I guess there is that side. For me the key bits are the following:

- Brighter - they tend to be brighter than USA line, be that the tenon, the truss rod thing, or something else.
    - Neck Angle - all of the ones I've played have had great neck angles, so the bridge can be low and the tailpiece screwed down to the body.
    - The look - Opinion of the VOS finish to one side, they have more subtle bursts than the USA line, and thinner finishes.
    The neck angle and the fact that they are brighter sounding and vos really does it for me 

• skikdi53 said:
    thebreeze said:
    skikdi53 said:
    C'est manifique!
    Merci.
    Thank's all.

Congrats buddy. So pleased you managed to get hold of one in the end 
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1624
    skippy76 said:
    On the pickup discussion, I have a pair of vintage early 60s PAT stickered HB's (closest thing to PAFs)  that I will be throwing into my 2017 58 or 59 to compare to the Custom Buckers. I'll take a few sound samples and share them when I do.
    Sounds cool.

I've just ordered a set of Seymour Duncan Slash AP2s for my R9...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

skikdi53 said:
    thebreeze said:
    skikdi53 said:
    C'est manifique!
    Merci.
    Thank's all.

Congrats buddy. So pleased you managed to get hold of one in the end 

Thank's
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited October 2018
    LuttiS said:

For me it's just a better piece wood than any USA Gibson I've played, it seems to sound more present without necessarily being any louder.  Acoustically it's very sweet in a way my other electric solid body guitars haven't been
  • terada said:
    LuttiS said:

All of the above. I've had 2 US Standards and the R8 just feels better to me.

To add to @terada's list - No fret nibs - the binding doesn't cover the ends of the frets. Plain top (can you get a US plain top?).

Key for me is the tailpiece dead tight to the body. Fuck knows why the US models don't have that, it's bonkers. As has been said, it's lighter and seems to just resonate a little nicer than the Standard. Looks vintage, feels vintage and sounds vintage.

I could never make my standard sound like a vintage Les Paul, no matter how I tried (probably down to the pickups I guess), but this one is instand rock and roll, and can do stupidly tight modern high gain stuff when I need it too - seems sacrilage to do so on this guitar though! Can get really subtle and sweet too. It's just a more versatile instrument that feels beautiful under the fingers.

• Nice!

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    Before I offend anyone, please realise this is just my take on the R8 model. All guitars are different, and all players are different.

Why am I not so keen on them? Well, to some why I am not keen is the reason they ARE keen. 

I wasn't keen on:

- The VOS finish to the hardware. The rusty screws was just not my thing. I like Fender's Road Worn instruments and finish. My Flea Jazz looks battered but for some reason I like how they've done it. 
     - The neck finish. WAYYYY too sticky. But I play Musicman instruments a lot and most of them are finished in gunstock oil on the neck. I also get clammy hands quickly which didn't help.
     - It felt heavy to me, and I play a lot of large bodied 5 string basses. Maybe because my other two Gibsons are much lighter due to the weight relief/model.
     - I felt like the finish (and this probably applies to all highly finished Les Pauls) was wayyy too thick. Like it had been dipped in a big vat of it. 
     - The plastics - some of them, whilst trying to be period correct, I didn't like aesthetically, like on a Ric bass. The plastic for the rear controls and the pickguard spring to mind. 
     - Case and accessories. A ridiculous comment to make but I felt the case could have been a bit more fancy for an instrument that is supposed to be £3.7k. I prefer my Gibson SG case. I also didn't like the fact it felt like the little custom shop book thing didn't really contain anything interesting. 

None of this is a reflection on that actual instrument. Just my thoughts, and some of the reasons why I wasn't overly keen. 

I do realise that a lot of the above is exactly what some players like....please don't take offence. 

To balance it out, what I can understand is great:

- Tops - beautiful plain tops - I DO not like lots of flame and bright blingy guitars. I like classic colours and much more understated colours, often with odd body shapes (Musicman Albert Lee),
    - Weight - whilst I realise the weight wasn't for me, I understand for a full bodied LP, these are light,
    - Tone - the tone is great, there is no denying that,
    - Electronics in general - very sturdy. The knobs themselves have a pleasing feel like they need a little force to be moved, which means you can make nice tiny adjustments,
    - I did like the Custom plate thingy on the back - nice touch,
     - Binding looks great and I hear it takes a long time to get right (but they still need to give it a proper clean and once over IMO - I've seen this on loads of LPs),
    - It did have a nice feel and ring when played acoustically,
    - Frets were perfect.

The setup from the shop was phenomenal btw.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Before I offend anyone, please realise this is just my take on the R8 model. All guitars are different, and all players are different.

Why am I not so keen on them? Well, to some why I am not keen is the reason they ARE keen. 

I wasn't keen on:

- The VOS finish to the hardware. The rusty screws was just not my thing. I like Fender's Road Worn instruments and finish. My Flea Jazz looks battered but for some reason I like how they've done it. 
     - The neck finish. WAYYYY too sticky. But I play Musicman instruments a lot and most of them are finished in gunstock oil on the neck. I also get clammy hands quickly which didn't help.
     - It felt heavy to me, and I play a lot of large bodied 5 string basses. Maybe because my other two Gibsons are much lighter due to the weight relief/model.
     - I felt like the finish (and this probably applies to all highly finished Les Pauls) was wayyy too thick. Like it had been dipped in a big vat of it. 
     - The plastics - some of them, whilst trying to be period correct, I didn't like aesthetically, like on a Ric bass. The plastic for the rear controls and the pickguard spring to mind. 
     - Case and accessories. A ridiculous comment to make but I felt the case could have been a bit more fancy for an instrument that is supposed to be £3.7k. I prefer my Gibson SG case. I also didn't like the fact it felt like the little custom shop book thing didn't really contain anything interesting. 

None of this is a reflection on that actual instrument. Just my thoughts, and some of the reasons why I wasn't overly keen. 

I do realise that a lot of the above is exactly what some players like....please don't take offence. 

To balance it out, what I can understand is great:

- Tops - beautiful plain tops - I DO not like lots of flame and bright blingy guitars. I like classic colours and much more understated colours, often with odd body shapes (Musicman Albert Lee),
    - Weight - whilst I realise the weight wasn't for me, I understand for a full bodied LP, these are light,
    - Tone - the tone is great, there is no denying that,
    - Electronics in general - very sturdy. The knobs themselves have a pleasing feel like they need a little force to be moved, which means you can make nice tiny adjustments,
    - I did like the Custom plate thingy on the back - nice touch,
     - Binding looks great and I hear it takes a long time to get right (but they still need to give it a proper clean and once over IMO - I've seen this on loads of LPs),
    - It did have a nice feel and ring when played acoustically,
    - Frets were perfect.

The setup from the shop was phenomenal btw.
    Great write up mate :-)

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 459
    edited October 2018
    Well I had a corking USA Traditional - from @Adamski and frankly, the 1.5k difference isn’t ‘justifiable’ as such.

I do like the hide glue, no truss-rod condom & custombuckers but the neck profile, subtle flame, fretwork, non weight relieved body, weight, rolled binding and resonance are great on both guitars. 

I’ve just always wanted a fantastic, brand new, 58-59 reissue with subtle flame, built as closely to the originals as is feasible and, crucially for me, Gibson made LP. Now I’ve got one!
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1399
    A lot if not all the brightness over standard USA stuff and pre 2009 histories comes from the steel thumb wheels on the ABR bridge. This is actually not vintage correct (brass is vintage correct and is warmer sounding). Pre 2009 histories with the wired ABR bridge had brass thumb wheels as standard. You can change them at very little expense and effort to warm the guitar up if that’s your thing. Personally I prefer the non vintage correct steel ones as there seems to be more resonance transferred to the body and I like the brightness.
    hyperben said:
    A lot if not all the brightness over standard USA stuff and pre 2009 histories comes from the steel thumb wheels on the ABR bridge. This is actually not vintage correct (brass is vintage correct and is warmer sounding). Pre 2009 histories with the wired ABR bridge had brass thumb wheels as standard. You can change them at very little expense and effort to warm the guitar up if that’s your thing. Personally I prefer the non vintage correct steel ones as there seems to be more resonance transferred to the body and I like the brightness.
    Didn't know that, thanks for the info
    What about the sérial,
    The last peach one have 6 digits and mine looks the same has only 5?
    skikdi53 said:
    What about the sérial,
    The last peach one have 6 digits and mine looks the same has only 5?
    They go to 6 digits when they’ve run out with 5 digits

terada said:
    hyperben said:
    Didn't know that, thanks for the info
    I’ve tried the mod before. It does make a noticeable difference though not massively significant.