Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). R8 Peach Deal - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited September 2018
    dbphoto said:
    poopot said:
    dbphoto said:
    This thread has now entered some weird parallel universe.

Second hand guitars being listed as new!?

Anyone giving a monkeys about a few mm when it comes to scale length!?
    Play one with the correct vintage scale length!...

there is a load of difference... more space above the 12th fret for a start!...

If you care about such things then fair play to you.  I dare say there are plenty of things I care about that would be irrelevant to you.

FWIW I didn’t buy mine due to any of the historic accuracy stuff as I really couldn’t care less.

I bought it simply because I liked the look of it and at the discounted price it was too good for me to ignore.
    I couldn't give a monkeys about plastics, ABR vs Nashville, etc etc, it's just an astonishingly good guitar to me.  50's wiring out the box is pretty nice though :-)

Edit: I also like how the carve/neck angle allows the tailpiece to be screwed down tight
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    WezV said:
    poopot said:
    How can these be a true reissue if Gibson don’t use the actual vintage fret scale?

surely that’s just makes them a modern “les Paul”...
    I agree.  It would be an easy thing to get right with modern manufacturing and would be a good distinction for a historic reissue
    valid point, but ref Fender Custom Shop vintage replicas, very few are ever built with small frets and a 7.25" fingerboard radius - in fact you can have a 50's neck shape on a 60's model or vice versa and ditto 50's pick-ups on a 60's model as required - Yet always accepted as a 'vintage replica'  - Granted this all goes with in a Custom Shop banner and as the name suggest (Custom Shop) then it allows for custom options - Maybe also as Fender Guitars are effectively a 'Mecano' style contraptions built out of a host of components then it goes with the territory of cut and suit as required
    i don't think its the same thing.   That Fender will be advertised with the radius and fret size clearly stated.   They have mixed them up, but the spec is always clear

Gibson will focus on being more historically accurate than ever... "now with more accurate plastic" etc..   whilst ignoring the scale length issue altogether.

edit - vid for those interested in how gibson scale lengths can be odd

yes see what you mean - each individual Fender, whatever spec it has, has a travel sheet plan available for it - Gibson have ducked n dived and changed so much, so many times, with very little open info available
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    roberty said:

I couldn't give a monkeys about plastics, ABR vs Nashville, etc etc, it's just an astonishingly good guitar to me.  50's wiring out the box is pretty nice though :-)

Edit: I also like how the carve/neck angle allows the tailpiece to be screwed down tight
    Believe it or not ABR vs Nashville does make a difference.  I put a Nashville on my previous LP for while.  The neck angle wasn't great, so the bridge was very high up and was moving on top of the posts.  The Nashville sat on there more solidly but it didn't sound as good.  When I put the ABR on again, it definitely sounded better.

Thankfully, the one I've just bought doesn't have the neck angle issue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9089
    dbphoto said:
    poopot said:
    dbphoto said:
    This thread has now entered some weird parallel universe.

Second hand guitars being listed as new!?

Anyone giving a monkeys about a few mm when it comes to scale length!?
    Play one with the correct vintage scale length!...

there is a load of difference... more space above the 12th fret for a start!...

If you care about such things then fair play to you.  I dare say there are plenty of things I care about that would be irrelevant to you.

FWIW I didn’t buy mine due to any of the historic accuracy stuff as I really couldn’t care less.

I bought it simply because I liked the look of it and at the discounted price it was too good for me to ignore.
    Im not knocking anyone for buying one at all... a good guitar is a good guitar at the end of the day... I have issue with Gibson calling it a reissue when its not!...

Ive had (and got rid of) more than a few LP's over the years... cant get on with them at all... but, as soon as I played one with the vintage scale length it made sense...

Now, if Gibson did one they can have whatever's in my bank account!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    dbphoto said:
    poopot said:

I'll gladly clear your bank account  ;)
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    poopot said:
    dbphoto said:
    poopot said:

I'll gladly clear your bank account  ;)
    If it’s anything like the special then TAKE MY MONEY NOW :)
    crunchman said:
    roberty said:

Believe it or not ABR vs Nashville does make a difference.  I put a Nashville on my previous LP for while.  The neck angle wasn't great, so the bridge was very high up and was moving on top of the posts.  The Nashville sat on there more solidly but it didn't sound as good.  When I put the ABR on again, it definitely sounded better.

Thankfully, the one I've just bought doesn't have the neck angle issue.
    That's interesting. Do you think the bushings are an impediment? Makes me a bit nervous having to adjust something screwed right into the cap. Seems too important to thread. I suppose the originals are still knocking about and playable
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Twinfan said:
    Not seen anything of the Iced Tea or the other two Dirty Lemons from Peach have we?
    Mine is due tomorrow but I doubt I'll get much time on it until Sunday.  (Iced Tea)
    Really looking forward to yours coming in, it looked like a belter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113

Hattigol said:
    Never mind this. @peachguitarsdotcom where are these black over gold LPs you promised us at £1,299? 
    You mean £299?! ha
    Put me down for 5  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    terada said:

Hattigol said:
    Never mind this. @peachguitarsdotcom where are these black over gold LPs you promised us at £1,299? 
    You mean £299?! ha
    Put me down for 5  ;)
    Be honest, you're going to flip them, aren't you
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 459
    poopot said:

Can you describe the difference the scale length made?
    edited September 2018
    @customkits will be better to placed to describe the technical difference... but... from a practical point of actually playing, there is more space between frets up the dusty end... or that is how it appears to me (and a few other folk that have played them).
    poopot said:
    @customkits will be better to placed to describe the technical difference... but... from a practical point of actually playing, there is more space between frets up the dusty end... or that is how it appears to me (and a few other folk that have played them).
    So there's more space at the top but the bottom is the same?
    roberty said:
    poopot said:
    Different all the way along the neck.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited September 2018
    roberty said:
    poopot said:
    found this image - not totally accurate in  the comments, but the maths is okay.   

the two comments at the end ignore compensation, which you need less of on a rule of 18 instrument.  in fact many early guitars didn't have any compensation at all, the rule of 18 provided enough to each fret position to make it work

there are also stories of worn out tools, periods of inaccurate measurement, different maths being used above and below the 12th fret etc....

its a fun topic
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    roberty said:
    poopot said:
    found this image - not totally accurate in  the comments, but the maths is okay.   

the two comments at the end ignore compensation, which you need less of on a rule of 18 instrument.  in fact many early guitars didn't have any compensation at all, the rule of 18 provided enough to each fret position to make it work

That's far too scientific for me Wez, i just know it works really well and that's the only scale i use on my short scale builds
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    The technical difference is the old one is better, i really don't get technically bogged down in any of this stuff, the old ones used it and they sound good to me, it's the only one i use and i had custom made fret scale templates made, i have 2 more being made so i can cut inlays and fret without removing the board

They do feel different to play for me as poopot said there seems to be more space above the 12th fret and possibly why the old ones sound a bit different too

This is a whole different subject and may not be wanted in this thread
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I agree it’s probably best suited to a new thread... might get technical though.

Most obviously don’t need to consider that maths.  No-one really does now there are so many things that do it for you.

Honestly this thread is a rollercoaster
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 459
    Is it time to measure & compare our nuts with calipers yet??
    Fifty9 said:
    I beg your pardon?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Fifty9 said:
    Why not.  No different to you all weighing them with and without the daft switch covers 

nut width is fairly crucial to feel
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fifty9 said:
    Is it Friday, already?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Vintage scale on the left... modern scale on the right...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • skikdi53skikdi53 Frets: 198
    edited September 2018
    This Morning, chat with GG, and oh surprised when i ask for a 58 DL, that they have one in Camden, the guy just send me a pic, i said, i want it.
    Hope this time will not have a bad experience like my first one with Richtone.
    [URL=https://www.casimages.com/i/180928120411892682.png.html][IMG]https://nsa39.casimages.com/img/2018/09/28/180928120411892682.png[/IMG][/URL]
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • skikdi53 said:
    This Morning, chat with GG, and oh surprised when i ask for a 58 DL, that they have one in Camden, the guy just send me a pic, i said, i want it.
    [URL=https://www.casimages.com/i/180928120411892682.png.html][IMG]https://nsa39.casimages.com/img/2018/09/28/180928120411892682.png[/IMG][/URL]
    Nice one buddy that’s a great score and pleased you got one 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    skikdi53 said:
    lovely !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Still haven’t sold any yet though 
  • skikdi53skikdi53 Frets: 198
    edited September 2018
    Thank's.
    GG have a good Customer service, just called them cause i payed with paypal and the exchange fees seems to be high, so they canceled my order after Registered my card number and they send me a mail with the link to buy the guitar.
    Very happy.