Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). F***ing eBay w***ers! - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

F***ing eBay w***ers!

What's Hot

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 3847
    edited September 2023
    beed84 said:
    In terms of the OP's dilemma, if you're going to honour the return, I would encourage you to get him to bring it back to where he collected it so you can test it with him present. Meeting in the middle reeks of something dodgy to me.
    The whole thing stinks like a couple of teenagers smoking a joint in the park and thinking that the boomers walking past don't know what they're up to. Fleas? £100 valves feom the US? Give it a rest son. 

I've got a fair tolerance for folk who aren't sure about what they've got and how to use it. I have a much narrower (non-existent) tolerance for chancing piss-takers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Sporky said:
    I once bought an amp on ebay.

When I turned up the seller refused to take the amount I'd bud (which was sensible but not over the top) and discounted it. Twice. And paid me for the diesel I'd used to get there.

There was nothing wrong with it and I am still confused. 
    Which costume were you wearing that day?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    beed84 said:
    In terms of the OP's dilemma, if you're going to honour the return, I would encourage you to get him to bring it back to where he collected it so you can test it with him present. Meeting in the middle reeks of something dodgy to me.
    TOTALLY.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Update, eBay advised me via chat that I should message them and tell them to either deliver it to me or courier it. They also said if that’s not possible I can buy a postage label and get refunded. They also said judging by my description of events as soon as I receive it back I should report the buyer and they may ban their account. 

I told the buyer this and informed them if they want a refund then they need to get the amp to me themselves. They’ve ignored me so far unsurprisingly. 

I have the full chat transcript from eBay to back up what they said so I guess we’ll wait and see now.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4108
    edited September 2023
    Can’t see eBay banning the buyers account. They’re all about the buyers and sod the sellers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    Watching this thread with great interest.  I really hope the buyer realises what a to$$er they're being and restracts their return request but i doubt it.

With everything you've said, if Ebay refund him I'm done with selling on Ebay.

Feel for you mate, but you're doing the right thing in resisting it.

Still think you put his Ebay handle on here for blocking purposes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Update, eBay advised me via chat that I should message them and tell them to either deliver it to me or courier it. They also said if that’s not possible I can buy a postage label and get refunded. They also said judging by my description of events as soon as I receive it back I should report the buyer and they may ban their account. 

I told the buyer this and informed them if they want a refund then they need to get the amp to me themselves. They’ve ignored me so far unsurprisingly. 

I have the full chat transcript from eBay to back up what they said so I guess we’ll wait and see now.
    Sounds promising so far. My advice is to not even give the buyer an option to courier it. If he sends you something completely different, it'll be very difficult to prove to ebay that it isn't you who's lying.
    It was collected in person, it should be returned in person.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    edited September 2023
    This is why I always state cash on collection only. Despite the eBay collection code system the buyer can still shaft you. 
    I’m sure they can take it out of your listed payment method still though . In fact I think there is no way to stop them paying like that & only having cash on collection . I hope what you say is true as after reading all this I’m considering taking my Gibson off there . Especially after having a stupid return foisted on me lately 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    edited September 2023
    Like I said I’m considering taking my Gibson off . I recently sold an Arturia minilab Mkii on eBay 
      Mint & unused . I made a point of saying in the description that the software had not been registered as I had only taken the unit out of the box to test it on my iPad. 

4 days later  I get a message saying he’s returning it as the software won’t register 
      I now have to pay postage for him to return it as well as the £7.99 special delivery fee leaving me about £13 or £14 out of pocket .

anyway I now have to advertise it cheaply on Facebook and mention the software can’t be registered allegedly . Anyway a guy contacts me , I’m asking £35 he says I’ll give you £40 I wouldnt rip you off .  He turns up , is a great chap, we have a chat & I tell him about the return on eBay .  He gets back to me later  says all the included software installed effortlessly & some was even a better version than what it said on the documents . He was very pleased with it and said there was no problem at all . All this on Facebook marketplace which I usually have to deal with crazy people on . Just goes to show there are some decent  people around .

it’s annoying I had to lose money I can I’ll afford for someone’s incompetence/change of mind 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It appears that Cash does mean they can’t   Do this and get their money back . I’m going to have to check to see if you can list cash only  

• In your payment options, select Cash on collection and any other payment methods you'd like to accept. You'll need to offer buyers at least one of the approved electronic payment methods, and you cannot discourage buyers from using any payment method you specified in the listing.

it states above you need to offer buyers an option of electronic payment  & you can’t discourage them from using it . Trouble is the buggers will  & then if you cancel it you may still have to pay the final value fee if eBay say  cancelling it for not allowing them to pay electronically  is not a valid reason, do you see what I mean 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • As someone else mentioned, if eBay have a payment method on your account they can and will take the money from you that way and refund a buyer even if they paid another way, whether you want them to or not.

I don’t use eBay anymore. 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited September 2023
    As someone else mentioned, if eBay have a payment method on your account they can and will take the money from you that way and refund a buyer even if they paid another way, whether you want them to or not.

This isn't necessarily true for cash payments. If you choose to pay by cash I don't think you get an email with a QR Code that the seller scans to confirm the exchange has been made. You only get that if you pay electronically. Therefore there's no proof that you've already paid and there are no funds for eBay to release at point of exchange. 
  • Update - buyer decided that he won’t get a better amp for his money so wants to keep it.

Second update, they’ve listened to it again and it’s too noisy so may have to return but will attempt to resolve it. 
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• 2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • As someone else mentioned, if eBay have a payment method on your account they can and will take the money from you that way and refund a buyer even if they paid another way, whether you want them to or not.

This isn't true for cash payments. If you choose to pay by cash, you don't get an email with a QR Code that the seller scans to confirm the exchange has been made. You only get that if you pay electronically. Therefore there's no proof that you've already paid and there are no funds for eBay to release at point of exchange. eBay will not and cannot refund a buyer who paid by cash because eBay will have no proof of payment. 
    If it’s noted as being collected via the code then eBay know it’s been paid for surely?

I haven’t been in that particular situation so you could well be right, however I once sold a pedal and was paid by PayPal, thus incurring a PayPal feel, the seller decided after two weeks the pedal was noisy and initiated a return. I started a conversation with him sensing a scam but eBay unilaterally refunded him by taking the money from my bank account. At the time a refund via PayPal would have refunded my PayPal fees. As it was I had to swallow the postage both ways plus fees and was returned a pedal with no faults at all. 
  • I’ve told them to leave it alone and not tamper with it. Either bring it back and I’ll refund or close the case and keep it. So sick of this ridiculous flip-flopping.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’ve told them to leave it alone and not tamper with it. Either bring it back and I’ll refund or close the case and keep it. So sick of this ridiculous flip-flopping.
    Can you PM me their username so I can block him ;-) 

Hope you get sorted today.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    I’ve told them to leave it alone and not tamper with it. Either bring it back and I’ll refund or close the case and keep it. So sick of this ridiculous flip-flopping.
    Yeah, it sounds like he can't decide whether he has buyer's remorse or not, and he's giving you the runaround during in the process. Going forward, I wouldn't compromise with him at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So I decided to get eBay to step in and they’ve been pretty reasonable with it. 

They’ve closed the return case and informed the buyer it needs to be sent back to me by themselves within 10 days for a refund. 

If they go past that then they have to keep it and won’t be refunded. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Good luck ! Let us know how it all turns out.
  • Good luck @Fiftyshadesofjay. Hope it’s all over soon!
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    That sounds reasonable. But aren't they going to blacklist that piss pot buyer too?
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Sounds fair from Ebay (at this point, fingers crossed). Hope it works out.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 477
    Well, it seems like eBay are being reasonable and sensible - which isn't always the case given the experience of others on here. I do hope this all finishes for you soon!
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615

They’ve closed the return case and informed the buyer it needs to be sent back to me by themselves within 10 days for a refund.
    What's the breeding cycle of fleas?  If there are fleas and/or eggs, larvae or pupae in the amp, it will take about 3 weeks for the cycle to complete if you use something to kill them and if they don't have a human or animal host.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    Any update?
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • Sporky said:
    I once bought an amp on ebay.

When I turned up the seller refused to take the amount I'd bud (which was sensible but not over the top) and discounted it. Twice. And paid me for the diesel I'd used to get there.

There was nothing wrong with it and I am still confused. 
    I had the same thing with a table I bought. Drove to collect it, handed over the cash and the bloke gave me some back "to cover fuel". Obviously a nice thing to do, but a bit odd.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1790
    edited October 2023
    The more and more times I have to deal with the public online the more I want to go off grid all together. There are truely some astonishing arseholes out there tbh. But also some pretty decent humans too of course. 

Had to leave a FB page recently because I couldn’t stand some of the stupid comments that were being posted. Full of stupid NIMBY Luddites.  

But that’s for another post lol 

This truely is the last place I want to deal with for my hobby now
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Quick and hopefully final update.

After they got notified of the ebay decision they messaged and said they’ve decided to return it for a refund. 

I replied that’s fine but I won’t be meeting up, please bring it to my house this evening. 

They’ve now decided to keep it.
    7reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter