Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). F***ing eBay w***ers! - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

F***ing eBay w***ers!

What's Hot

Comments

• Ddigger said:
    Forgot to add, after finally getting back to me 4 days later after starting the return they asked for a partial refund “because they’d already had to buy some NOS power valves from the US”. They wanted £100 for them. 

I obviously refused that. 
    Every cloud...

Sounds like you have come out ahead...

List it again for more money and emphasis the upgraded valves.
    Not really, he still has the amp and my funds are frozen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • allenallen Frets: 545
    edited September 2023
    I have had a couple of nutcase buyers on ebay in the past trying to get money back etc. I contacted ebay and they came down firmly in my favour on both occasions.

As long as you have followed their procedure and been clear/truthful in all of your communications I would expect you to win this one.

Edit: I am guessing that you don't have a history of disputes. And it is quite possible that this buyer does. Only ebay will know that, but I'm guessing that it helps them make a decision.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    Ddigger said:
    Forgot to add, after finally getting back to me 4 days later after starting the return they asked for a partial refund “because they’d already had to buy some NOS power valves from the US”. They wanted £100 for them. 

I obviously refused that. 
    Every cloud...

Sounds like you have come out ahead...

List it again for more money and emphasis the upgraded valves.
    Not really, he still has the amp and my funds are frozen. 
    Ahh!

Sorry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 591
    edited September 2023
    Erm... so he has fitted different valves and now there is a buzzing sound, sounds like a bad power tube the fact he has had it 3 weeks is bang out of order asking for a refund. Tell him to put the original tubes back in and see if the problem resloves itself.

i would get ebay involved and tell them he has messed with the item and its not as you sold it him and he has changed original parts and he is not an amp technician. He has admitted that he has changed the valves that will be in their message system so i think you will be covered in having it closed in your favour

The whole point of collection only is to try and avoid these kind of people who hide behind a keyboard who have buyers remorse and use the not as described bail out when its delivered to them

The fact he wont bring it back in person when he collected in person tells me he is also a coward. Is this person from Northampton by any chance and called Phil?  As i had a similar experience with a guy from that area and from what you have mentioned about knowing sod all of how that amp functions with the channels and he also abused the ebay system
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 48
    edited September 2023
    If the Buyer collects, accepts the item and did the collection code (seller scans QR Code on Buyers phone), it's my understanding that's it. Buyer doesn't get money back protection. 

I would start a chat via the eBay app and ask them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • leerocker said:
    Erm... so he has fitted different valves and now there is a buzzing sound, sounds like a bad power tube the fact he has had it 3 weeks is bang out of order asking for a refund. Tell him to put the original tubes back in and see if the problem resloves itself.

i would get ebay involved and tell them he has messed with the item and its not as you sold it him, and has admitted that hes changed the valves that will be in their message system so i think you will be covered in having it closed in your favour

The whole point of collection only is to try and avoid these kind of people who hide behind a keyboard who have the buyers remorse and use the not as described bail out when its delivered to them

The fact he wont bring it back in person when he collected in person tells me he is also a coward. Is this person from Northampton by any chance and called Phil?  As i had a similar experience with a guy from that area and from what you have mentioned about knowing sod all of how that amp functions with the channels and he also abused the ebay system
    It’s not Phil, but sounds like a similar situation. I’ll clarify I’m not sure if he fitted new valves, I refused to pay for them and he said he cancelled the order 
  • I would tell him he needs to bring it back to yours and upon testing if their is a fault then you will refund him, 3 weeks down the line is a joke and he knows this probably as after a month ebay dont allow returns at all
  • leerocker said:
    I would tell him he needs to bring it back to yours and upon testing if their is a fault then you will refund him, 3 weeks down the line is a joke and he knows this probably as after a month ebay dont allow returns at all
    That’s where the fleas come in, he’s too busy to bring it to me and supposedly has fleas in his house so can only meet up 
  • Would it be unfair to out this guy's name here, or at least his ebay username?  Loads of us here sell on eBay as well and would benefit from avoiding people like Mr. Fleas over there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Quick update, I’ve sent a message to say to meet me part way and I’ll just take it. It’s an absolute joke but main priority is to get it back and not be out of pocket. No answer so far.
  • I also sent it via the return process. He’s been messaging via regular messages for some reason so I want to make sure there’s a record 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    Quick update, I’ve sent a message to say to meet me part way and I’ll just take it. It’s an absolute joke but main priority is to get it back and not be out of pocket. No answer so far.

I think you will be out of pocket for the fees, I don't think they refund you if it's a successful "not as described" claim.

I also think for returns of collected items, it's the buyer's responsibility to return to the seller so you meeting halfway is doing him a favour.

I feel for you mate.  I agree you should share the Ebay handle too so he can be put on our blocklists.  If Ebay side with the buyer on this, that's me done with Ebay.  I only ever do collections for high value items, but if Ebay are now refunding payments for collected items they won't be getting any more business from me.
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 389
    edited October 2023
    Sounds like very nasty person. Sorry you are having hassle. 

My experiences on ebay are very mixed, usually poor. Last two involved a twat and a liar.

Twat: A month ago I sold a Westbury Standard on ebay to someone local, cheap price. He picks it up, has a quick look and says thanks. Asks for a refund 2 days later as its more battered than he had realised. He says he's an expert here and owns quite a few. So surely for the price (and on inspection) he would have realised it wasn't mint. Could have refused him as he inspected it, but being too nice I pop round, collect it and refund him, list it here for even less and sell it in a day. 

Liar: Just bought a Park MV 50 combo 1239 on ebay (late 70's Marshall) for an OK price. Buyer says he's had it from new. We did a few emails, he insists its all original. Sounds like a good bloke. Collection only. I drive 2 hours to get there, I'm having a look and he says, by the way, one of the transformers broke 5 years ago and was replaced. I'm pretty pissed off as that is where quite a bit of the value of these amps is. I could have rejected it, got back in the car, drive 2 hours home and waited another 3 years for a good 'unmolested' one to pop up again.  Anyway, amp is now with Electrohill for a service and to see what transformer is in there. Fingers crossed.

I think the simple answer is to always assume ebay (and reverb) experiences will be risky. Better to sell here at a lower price.    
  • I also sent it via the return process. He’s been messaging via regular messages for some reason so I want to make sure there’s a record 
    Good thinking.  I wouldn't worry about where he's sending messages as long as they're within eBay.  Any eBay rep you might need to speak to will be able to access them if needed.  
  • Dodge said:
    Quick update, I’ve sent a message to say to meet me part way and I’ll just take it. It’s an absolute joke but main priority is to get it back and not be out of pocket. No answer so far.

I think you will be out of pocket for the fees, I don't think they refund you if it's a successful "not as described" claim.

I also think for returns of collected items, it's the buyer's responsibility to return to the seller so you meeting halfway is doing him a favour.

I feel for you mate.  I agree you should share the Ebay handle too so he can be put on our blocklists.  If Ebay side with the buyer on this, that's me done with Ebay.  I only ever do collections for high value items, but if Ebay are now refunding payments for collected items they won't be getting any more business from me.
    This thread got me worried, so I just contacted eBay. The service agent told me:

"If they collect it in person they are not eligible for protection"

So if it was me, I'd be digging my heels in.

@Fiftyshadesofjay - n
    o way you should have to refund anything. Pop on eBay app automated chat and ask to speak with agent - usually get through in a couple of minutes.

Hope you can sort this out.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited September 2023
    Another reason how eBay forces sellers to respect the return process is - if they have to step in then it's considered a "case without resolution" and your seller rating goes down.  Each incident takes 12 months to disappear from your seller acct.  3 of these and you go down a bracket.  If you've been receiving the fortnightly 80% off seller fee promotions, you can say bye bye to those until you get back in eBay's good graces.
  • Zapple said:
    Dodge said:

This thread got me worried, so I just contacted eBay. The service agent told me:

"If they collect it in person they are not eligible for protection"

So if it was me, I'd be digging my heels in.

@Fiftyshadesofjay - n
    o way you should have to refund anything. Pop on eBay app automated chat and ask to speak with agent - usually get through in a couple of minutes.

Hope you can sort this out.

Dodge said:

Thanks, I did speak to someone and they said I still had to accept the return despite it being collection only so I’m really confused. I guess another chat with eBay is in order 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    What I douche bag.  I  wouldn't accept the return if it was me.  There's every chance the amp has been damaged or at least infested with fleas.   

I'm pretty sure eBay would back you up on this.  
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 591
    edited September 2023
    Yes i have also had that with ebay where they sided with the buyer even though they collected in person so ebay are not quite telling the truth there

Guy buys my 5150 III  haggles me down loads, collects in person pays via ebay payments, messages me 2 days later saying there is  a fault with fx loop and there is a hum.  told him to put a patch cable in loop and if noise is still there then there is a problem if not its your pedals, 
    does that and loop is fine
    I offered him to bring it round and ill show him that its fine, opens a return after this and then brought it round after i rang him up,  Turns up at 10.30 on a sat night had the amp at gig volume which i was not happy with
    I put all my pedals in the loop and silent no issue.  asked him to close dispute and he said he would do so when he got back,  2 hours later starts sending messages saying problem is back!

I told him where the problem was and its not the amp, he carried on and i just said bring it back ill give you your money, His reply was no you are going to beat me up! after many messages he accused me of bullying him and harassing him and id let him into my house twice at this point and been fair with him but i told him there and then he should not even be allowed to own high end gear if he has no idea what he is doing , He refused to bring back in person and said he would only send back by courier which i did not want as i would not trust his packing,

Low and behold he sent back in a walkers crisp box and amazon brown paper for packing which was useless and the footswitch was completely wrecked and these are £150 to get ,  I contacted ebay and told them it had been damaged and they said if i signed an affadavit which they were going to send me he would not get his refund, in ten minutes of that conversation they closed the case in his favour!  If anyone ever gets a guy from Northampton called philthejuggler block his bids as i suspect he does this often

The amp itself was fine and no issue like he said, i bought a new footswitch for it and sold again no problem , for every 100 buyers on ebay 99 will be fine and there is that 1 person that is a total cockwomble and if they ask stupid questions before they buy then best to avoid them from my experience

The audacity of this fella knows no bounds as a year later i was selling my marshall and he messaged me about buying it and could not complete the buy it now and was there a problem , I said yes you are blocked so bugger off!
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EBay is full of arseholes.
    I listed a guitar, very clearly stated collection only. Buyer clicked’Buy it now’ then started sending messages asking me to post it.
    I had that and then the guy left me negative feedback calling me grumpy with an attitude. 
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4108
    edited September 2023
    This is why I always state cash on collection only. Despite the eBay collection code system the buyer can still shaft you. 
  • This is why I always state cash on collection only. Despite the eBay collection code system the seller can still shaft you. 
    So can the buyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    The only time I sold an amp on eBay, I had a guy asking if I wouldn't mind holding on to it until his payday a fortnight away. I did, then payday rolls around and he hits me up to knock ten quid off the price. Before I even had time to message him back and call him a cheeky bugger, he hit the buy button at full price. 

Sent him the amp and he gave me five stars and a glowing review.

Folk are odd.

I hope you get sorted out somehow with fleabag and aren't too out of pocket. He sounds like a royal clown.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    MikeC said:

Tells me that he used to use the amp in his church choir so if he's such a good religious person, why did he lie to a direct question?
    One of those thats religious because hes scared of dying.
    My neighbour has got a crucifix on rosary beads hanging from her rear view mirror, and the Jesus fish on the back.
     A few years ago she came round screaming about how we need to look after our garden.
    My wife said to her she can't see anything wrong with it other than not being particularly pretty, and unfortunately she can't keep it to a high standard because she's disabled.
    At this point my neighbour screamed "I don't give a shit if you're disabled, I'll kick your fucking head in!"
    A very strange interpretation of love thy neighbour. I would have expected her to come round and help, which funnily enough my wife's Mormon friend did actually do upon hearing this story.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I once bought an amp on ebay.

When I turned up the seller refused to take the amount I'd bud (which was sensible but not over the top) and discounted it. Twice. And paid me for the diesel I'd used to get there.

There was nothing wrong with it and I am still confused. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:
    I once bought an amp on ebay.

When I turned up the seller refused to take the amount I'd bud (which was sensible but not over the top) and discounted it. Twice. And paid me for the diesel I'd used to get there.

There was nothing wrong with it and I am still confused. 
    Are you sure you didn’t dream this? 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I've still got the amp! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Where are you now in the process mate? Amp coming back?
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Sporky said:
    I've still got the amp! 
    I hope you told the seller to never own a Dumble.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    In terms of the OP's dilemma, if you're going to honour the return, I would encourage you to get him to bring it back to where he collected it so you can test it with him present. Meeting in the middle reeks of something dodgy to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter