Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). F***ing eBay w***ers! - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

F***ing eBay w***ers!

What's Hot
Seriously, never sell anything on eBay!

Sold my bargain Blackstar Artisan 30 on eBay three weeks ago, collection only. Tried tested and collection code signed, all good.

Buyer messages me a few days later asking how to work the channel switching on it and wants to know where the footswitch is? Politely explained that’s not how the amp works but whatever.

Sure enough a few days ago a return request is opened, amp is now “buzzing like a bee” and is “probably the filter caps”. It was serviced just before it was sold by Blackstar themselves.

I’ve asked multiple times for video evidence of the issue which has been completely ignored. 

Finally gave in and said fine, I’ll have it back and I’ll just refund you. Buyer says their house has fleas so I can’t go to them and my house is too far so we’d need to meet in the middle. I’m guessing that’s so I can’t actually test it myself.

Obviously this being eBay I’m over a barrel and unless I get it back they’ll probably just refund anyway. 

What a load of bollocks.
0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• EBay is full of arseholes.
    I listed a guitar, very clearly stated collection only. Buyer clicked’Buy it now’ then started sending messages asking me to post it.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
     amp is now “buzzing like a bee” 
    Buyer says their house has fleas 

What sound do fleas make
    ;)

eBay is eBay - when it works, it's great.  When it doesn't, the seller loses.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    I have never and will never buy or sell anything on Ebay. This forum has a classifieds section as does soundonsound.com and I would expect both to take some responsibility for ads?

For the record. I never had any capacitor of any kind fail in any Blackstar product. The capacitors in the Artisans are good for another 20 years at least.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Its a sign, Jay... a sign that you should keep this fine amplifier. ;)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately it is a minefield out there. Small consolation but at the very least you'll be getting the amp back.

I've read horror ebay stories online where a similar thing happened, buyer collected, said its faulty and initiated a return. But instead of handing back the item in person, eBay sent them a postage label (at sellers expense) and they received a brick or some random item instead. And the refund was completed. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmann said:
    Its a sign, Jay... a sign that you should keep this fine amplifier. ;)

Indeed! Just want it back now. Though I do have and am using the head currently so I’m not totally without some Artisan goodness! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ecc83 said:
    This forum has a classifieds section as does soundonsound.com and I would expect both to take some responsibility for ads?

This forum (as in the admin team) takes no responsibility for ads or deals here.  Buyers have to assure themselves of the bona fides of the sellers.

But it is deliberately very transparent which allows self-policing - ie, if a scammer appears, they get outed pretty quickly.  

It works well when deals are between established members.  Personally I avoid people who sign up one day and advertise a load of stuff the next day (no bona fides), but not everyone is that wary ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Don't sell on eBay. You'd have to be made. 

Hopefully the amp makes it back to you and you can sell (via not-ebay!) to someone else who isn't an idiot.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    edited September 2023

Sold my bargain Blackstar Artisan 30 on eBay three weeks ago, collection only. Tried tested and collection code signed, all good.

Refuse the refund.  If they collected and the collection code was given, it means they were happy with the amp at tbe point of collection which is where your liability ends.  That it's failed (it probably hasn't) after three weeks is their problem, not yours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dodge said:

Refuse the refund.  If they collected and the collection code was given, it means they were happy with the amp at tbe point of collection which is where your liability ends.  That it's failed (it probably hasn't) after three weeks is their problem, not yours.
    That would be the ideal solution but unfortunately eBay doesn’t work that way. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Dodge said:

Yes it does.  It'd be different if you sent the amp and it arrived not as described / faulty but they inspected, collected and gave you the collection code.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    Don't sell on eBay. You'd have to be made. 
    So that if something goes wrong, Pauly will send someone to whack them?
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dodge said:
    Dodge said:

Yes it does.  It'd be different if you sent the amp and it arrived not as described / faulty but they inspected, collected and gave you the collection code.
    Please advise me how then because these are the only options I have -

Accept the return
    Give a full refund
    Offer a partial refund
    Send the buyer a message
    Ask us to step in and help
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Accept the return
    Give a full refund
    Offer a partial refund
    Send the buyer a message

Ask us to step in and help.

Ebay live chat might be a good idea too before you click anything though.  As far as you're concerned you sold an item that was collection only, they inspected, presumably tested and were happy enough with the item to give you your collection code which proves that they took the item away.

Your listing specified no returns.  It was used, therefore no warranty.

Who knows what they've done to the amp in three weeks, plus your requests for evidence, the house having fleas etc, just sends alarm bells off.  They're trying it on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dodge said:

Accept the return
    Give a full refund
    Offer a partial refund
    Send the buyer a message

Ask us to step in and help.

Ebay live chat might be a good idea too before you click anything though.  As far as you're concerned you sold an item that was collection only, they inspected, presumably tested and were happy enough with the item to give you your collection code which proves that they took the item away.

Your listing specified no returns.  It was used, therefore no warranty.

Who knows what they've done to the amp in three weeks, plus your requests for evidence, the house having fleas etc, just sends alarm bells off.  They're trying it on.
    I completely agree with you about them trying it on. But if I ask them to step in and help it will just go to an untrained advisor who’s probably never seen an amp before and just find in the buyers favour, leaving me with no amp and no money.

I did speak to them on the phone and they said I need to accept the return. 
    I completely agree with you about them trying it on. But if I ask them to step in and help it will just go to an untrained advisor who’s probably never seen an amp before and just find in the buyers favour, leaving me with no amp and no money.

I did speak to them on the phone and they said I need to accept the return. 

I'd 100% be fighting that.  Ebay live chat is what I'd be doing.

Regardless as to whether it's an amp or a goldfish bowl it doesn't matter:

You sold a used item with no returns and no warranty.
    They collected in person after inspecting and were happy with what they bought.
    They gave you your collection code which proves they were happy to take the item away.
    Three weeks later they say it's faulty and won't give you evidence.

The only reasson I can think Ebay have said you need to refund it is perhaps because you've already said you would - but I'd be 100% fighting that.  Get onto Ebay live chat, explain the above.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    edited September 2023
    If it was cash on collection then select 'send buyer a message'. In the body of the message type "tough shit".
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited September 2023
    Dodge said:
    Dodge said:

Accept the return
    Give a full refund
    Offer a partial refund
    Send the buyer a message
    Be careful when asking eBay to step in and help.  I bought something once and was genuinely defective.  Initiated the return, the seller argued, he/she asked eBay to step in and within seconds eBay issued me a refund AND eBay told me I don't need to return the item anymore.  The seller didn't even get a chance to plead their case.  That was for an item that was posted to me, and yours was collection but I really don't believe eBay's Buyer Protection Policy cares either way.  You press that button and you run the risk of losing the money AND your amp.

Best bet is to call eBay explain the situation.  But think twice if they offer to step in.  
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Refuse to accept it on the basis that it is now most likely contaminated with fleas.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Very sorry to read your predicament. Sounds awful. Compounded by fleas (guess it’s not called fleabay for nothing). Would echo @LionAquaLooper - eBay are very much on the side of the buyer. Good luck with it. 
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
    Give ebay a call and speak to someone direct and see what they say.  A piss take though 3 weeks later they open a case.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Be careful when asking eBay to step in and help.  I bought something once and was genuinely defective.  Initiated the return, the seller argued, he/she asked eBay to step in and within seconds eBay issued me a refund AND eBay told me I don't need to return the item anymore.  The seller didn't even get a chance to plead their case. 
    Don't assume that just because you got your refund and kept the item that the seller was also out of pocket.

I believe that, in some situations, eBay will fund the refund, ie the seller keeps their original sale proceeds (less eBay's cut of course!).  Sometimes it's just easier and quicker (and thus cheaper) for eBay to take the hit themselves.
  • TTony said:
    Be careful when asking eBay to step in and help.  I bought something once and was genuinely defective.  Initiated the return, the seller argued, he/she asked eBay to step in and within seconds eBay issued me a refund AND eBay told me I don't need to return the item anymore.  The seller didn't even get a chance to plead their case. 
    Don't assume that just because you got your refund and kept the item that the seller was also out of pocket.

I believe that, in some situations, eBay will fund the refund, ie the seller keeps their original sale proceeds (less eBay's cut of course!).  Sometimes it's just easier and quicker (and thus cheaper) for eBay to take the hit themselves.
    Well in my case I hope you're right because I did feel sorry for the seller and I offered to return the item because it was working except for a bent screw which was the defective part.  He/she never replied with their address so I kept it. 

I told eBay at the time that I intended to return the item to the seller because I don't feel right keeping the money and the item.  All they said was "you can return it if you want to, but you're under no obligation to".  If they had given the seller a refund I'd like to think they would've said "don't do that because they got their money back anyway".  Hence why I think the seller did lose out completely in the end.

In any case you said so yourself that only in SOME situations would eBay be generous enough to give both parties their money back.  The risk is very real that in the OPs case they may not be.               
  • I'm not sure ebay is any more arsehole-ridden than the general population - I've bought and sold loads of things and I don't remember coming across any more twattery than I'd expect with private sales by any other means.  Of course you have to pay the fees, but in my experience stuff usually sells pretty hassle-free as it's visible to a huge audience.

But when there are any disputes they do tend to favour the buyer. I've been quite lucky and only ever had one knob claiming they hadn't received an item, but it was only worth a few quid so I just refunded them. I've never sold anything valuable through ebay though.
  • Forgot to add, after finally getting back to me 4 days later after starting the return they asked for a partial refund “because they’d already had to buy some NOS power valves from the US”. They wanted £100 for them. 

I obviously refused that. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  •  Fiftyshadesofjay said:
    Forgot to add, after finally getting back to me 4 days later after starting the return they asked for a partial refund “because they’d already had to buy some NOS power valves from the US”. They wanted £100 for them. 

Good grief!! What utter chancers.
  • Forgot to add, after finally getting back to me 4 days later after starting the return they asked for a partial refund “because they’d already had to buy some NOS power valves from the US”. They wanted £100 for them. 

I wonder if the buyer is on this forum as well =)

I wonder if the buyer is on this forum as well =)
    I've been developing my nice guy persona and feedback on here to an extent that no-one will be at all sceptical when I offer to hand deliver their pedal to their front room.

"He's such a lovely forum member" they'll say, not even realising that their Magnatone and Murphy Lab SG have disappeared. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2239
    Forgot to add, after finally getting back to me 4 days later after starting the return they asked for a partial refund “because they’d already had to buy some NOS power valves from the US”. They wanted £100 for them. 

Every cloud...

Sounds like you have come out ahead...

List it again for more money and emphasis the upgraded valves.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    No video of the buzz, no receipt for the valves, fleas in the house… what’s next? My dog ate the amplifier and now he’s dead pls send full refund? 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter