Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    Tantalising game between the Windies and PAK reaching the climax. Windies need 8 to win with 1 wicket remaining. 

Test cricket needs a vibrant and strong Windies team. 

^being a Warwickshire fan, Ian Bell was my favourite player. Followed his career from his First class debut at 16, to his debut for England and full career and in hindsight, reckon he was jettisoned a few years too early from the test side. The most glorious cover drive in cricket 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 21788
    edited August 2021
    I think Bell's a good choice. Square drive as opposed to square cut... Sobers. I'd not seen this analysis by Bradman before. The shot coming up from 11:30 is just something else. Worth also watching the broadcasted version of this innings just for the sound of the ball off the bat. He was approaching his ton when he played the shot: no nervous 90s there. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Not going terribly well this morning. If the lead gets to 250 do we go for it? 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited August 2021 tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    Not going terribly well this morning. If the lead gets to 250 do we go for it? 
    I don't see us having time - Option to open with Bairstow or Butler and play one day style and see what happens - But I think they'll be more worried about losing than winning, so will try to play a dull draw - But such a negative vibe will mean batting with no purpose and that can be a big issue

India can go for it in the first 20 overs or so and see what happens - 2/3 wickets and they are in with a shout - If no joy then a dull draw
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1506
    These two will get a hundred partnership. Fifty for Shami now. Fucking jesus.

What a way to shit the bed.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    Yes we've bowled to intimidate the tail enders not get them out, and now it's backfired horribly.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    260 in two sessions in a test is probably too much, even if India don't bat on after lunch.  Chance for Sibley to block, and show that his technique has improved.
    Can we actually block for two sessions to save the game? I wouldn't put money on it. 
    Stuckfast said:
    Yes we've bowled to intimidate the tail enders not get them out, and now it's backfired horribly.

Root's innings gave England some real impetus before the innings had closed. Today it's been a disaster and after we started so well. For all the praise of his batting, you have to look at the captain here and ask what the fuck he was thinking. England have absolutely blown a situation of advantage and they've done so because one over from Bumrah to Anderson has gotten into the English heads and we've gone to this retarded intimidation plan, a plan we've used before in the Broad as intimidator role and it was shit then and it's shit now. 

Think of Williamson and the Kiwis. With statistically the shittest tail in Test cricket waiting to bat, his choices in this situation would be:

a) short pitched attack led by Wagner and Jamieson

b) pitched up swing and yorkers from Southee and Boult. 

You know exactly which one he'd have picked and that he wouldn't have considered option c) try a bowling plan that doesn't follow our strengths. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    scrumhalf said:
    Can we actually block for two sessions to save the game? I wouldn't put money on it. 

India are helping us by batting on.  Going to be a maximum of 60 overs now, unless they do something unprecedented like bowl their overs at a good rate.
    crunchman said:
    scrumhalf said:

India are helping us by batting on.  Going to be a maximum of 60 overs now, unless they do something unprecedented like bowl their overs at a good rate.
    India declare ten minutes into the session. I don't understand why they would take twenty minutes out of the game if they were going to try and win.

I'm not sure I have the cojones to watch our openers again. 
    Burns goes for a duck.

Rain, damn you, RAIN! 
    scrumhalf said:
    crunchman said:
    scrumhalf said:

India declare ten minutes into the session. I don't understand why they would take twenty minutes out of the game if they were going to try and win.

The win is unlikely.

Declaring at lunch means England's openers have a longer period to get settled into the mindset of batting. Declaring ten minutes in = keep 'em on tenterhooks. 

And look, we're a wicket down. India now 9/4 to win. 

Both openers gone inside two overs for ducks.

Will we make it to tea? 
    Taxi for Mr Sibley. 

scrumhalf said:
    crunchman said:
    scrumhalf said:

You don't have to any more.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    At least Sibley got a good ball this time around.
    Stuckfast said:
    At least Sibley got a good ball this time around.
    Reminds me Fred Trueman's "aye, lad, and it were wasted on thee". 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    I was watching it live on Sky around 3-4 pm on Sunday - The win barometer was something like 65% to us to win - How wrong !!!!!!!!!!

We might not have done enough to win by 11.10am today, but there is no way we should be looking at a potential defeat at 1.10pm and only 2 hours later - Then to be on our knees at 4.10pm is abysmal - Maybe, just maybe Buttler and Ali can save us, but I would not put much on such a bet - Counting down each over now - 28 to go 
    tFB Trader
    Plus point, is that at 11am this morning all 3 results were an option - And that does not happen to often these days 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    All 4 results as my wife just said to me
    I can't remember another Test attack that has used in-swing to the same extent as this Indian bowling line-up. Both Siraj and Sharma bowl the in-swinger as a stock ball, and Shami and Bumrah both have a decent in-swinger too. Maybe my memory is faulty, but I can't remember many right-arm bowlers from the 80s onwards who have been primarily in-swing merchants. 
    Hopefully there's room in that taxi for Sam Curran?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Joe Root needs to consider his position. 
    Be seeing you.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1230
    Nervous nineties and 3 wickets left!
    They do know that this isn't a one-day game, don't they?

Assuming they can actually bat that long, if play goes on until 6:30 can India still claim the extra half hour? 
    Who would replace him though? There's literally no-one else in that side who is an automatic pick except Anderson. A captain needs at the very least to be secure of their place.
    Stuckfast said:
    Who would replace him though? There's literally no-one else in that side who is an automatic pick except Anderson. A captain needs at the very least to be secure of their place.

Unlike some previous England captains the captaincy doesn't seem to be having a negative effect on his batting either.  I don't think there is any alternative at the moment.
     :p