Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Crucifixion too good for him? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Crucifixion too good for him?

What's Hot

Comments

• We’ll be sycamore jokes soon
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    apparently suspect will be released soon. Police said that initial investigations were barking up the wrong tree
    Dont worry, be silly.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    viz said:
    Tannin said:
    viz said:
    I don’t really understand the hatred. 
    I do. So do most people here....
    But hatred?...
    For me, the idea of hateful, cruel vengeance on whoever cut the tree down is daft.
    However, I really understand the feelings of annoyance.  Some people don't get the impact their actions have on so many others. 
    That tree kind of belonged to everyone, it was there for us all to appreciate.  Whoever did this, did it to all of us.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    A post on Attila the Stockbroker's Facebook page quoting another (Simon Heywood) sums this up nicely:

We curse the one benighted chap
    Who felled the Sycamore at the Gap
    But tolerate those richer guys 
    Who burn whole forests,  seas, and skies. 

This does seem a pointless act of vandalism and it's good in many ways that people are outraged but unless that outrage is turned to some positive purpose,  e.g. to help protect and enhance our natural environment,  then it's just another passing phase until the next source of outrage is presented.  Turn anger to hope and hope into action if we want a better world in which to live. "Be the change" as Gandhi said. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39 said:
    A post on Attila the Stockbroker's Facebook page quoting another (Simon Heywood) sums this up nicely:

We curse the one benighted chap
    Who felled the Sycamore at the Gap
    But tolerate those richer guys 
    Who burn whole forests,  seas, and skies. 

This does seem a pointless act of vandalism and it's good in many ways that people are outraged but unless that outrage is turned to some positive purpose,  e.g. to help protect and enhance our natural environment,  then it's just another passing phase until the next source of outrage is presented.  Turn anger to hope and hope into action if we want a better world in which to live. "Be the change" as Gandhi said. 

Be accused of being ‘woke’ with claptrap like that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Haha,  I'm with Kathy Burke on being woke ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    viz said:
    Tannin said:
    viz said:
    I do. So do most people here. This was an act without any possible excuse which will have an impact for many decades, and which won't be punished with anything like the severity it merits.

Some people are utter cunts and simply don't deserve our sympathy, let alone any mercy. You could put him in a hole and, frankly, make the world a slightly better place. 

But hatred? I haven’t actually seen or read anything about him - has he shown himself to be aggressive or cruel or something? We shouldn’t forget, he is a child; he may have a mental condition - depressiom, autism, something. Or he may have been coerced. Do we know about his family situation?

Anyway, I think he should be given the suitable punishment for a child’s vandalism act, some support and compassion to help him grow out of it, he should help plant a new tree or trees, and we should all hope he turns this around. We should not be hoping he gets fucked up his arse by rapists in prison. 

And while I’m here, if we care about the planet we would of course also support others who are trying to reverse the corporate vandalism being done to it. That’s the positive side of the same coin that would could explain wanting to enact pain and suffering on this boy. Has anyone here actually ever thrown eggs at a boy or put him in a hole, or nailed him to a tree or raped him? What’s it like?
    Now look @viz ....   you're not getting on board with the whole angry mob thing here are you ?  I'm very annoyed that the tree has been cut down but you are right, there are many possible explanations for his actions.  The one we all really want is the easiest to target though....  the spoiled, selfish, spotty-faced shitbag that cares for nothing or nobody in the world except himself.  I wouldn't really have him hanged, but I would really want him to realise the magnitude of what he's done and be genuinely remorseful.   However.... in the meantime, all that shit takes too long, so grab a pitchfork and join in the fun !

Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    Emp_Fab said:
    viz said:
    Tannin said:
    viz said:
    I do. So do most people here. This was an act without any possible excuse which will have an impact for many decades, and which won't be punished with anything like the severity it merits.

Some people are utter cunts and simply don't deserve our sympathy, let alone any mercy. You could put him in a hole and, frankly, make the world a slightly better place. 

But hatred? I haven’t actually seen or read anything about him - has he shown himself to be aggressive or cruel or something? We shouldn’t forget, he is a child; he may have a mental condition - depressiom, autism, something. Or he may have been coerced. Do we know about his family situation?

Anyway, I think he should be given the suitable punishment for a child’s vandalism act, some support and compassion to help him grow out of it, he should help plant a new tree or trees, and we should all hope he turns this around. We should not be hoping he gets fucked up his arse by rapists in prison. 

And while I’m here, if we care about the planet we would of course also support others who are trying to reverse the corporate vandalism being done to it. That’s the positive side of the same coin that would could explain wanting to enact pain and suffering on this boy. Has anyone here actually ever thrown eggs at a boy or put him in a hole, or nailed him to a tree or raped him? What’s it like?
    Now look @viz ....   you're not getting on board with the whole angry mob thing here are you ?  I'm very annoyed that the tree has been cut down but you are right, there are many possible explanations for his actions.  The one we all really want is the easiest to target though....  the spoiled, selfish, spotty-faced shitbag that cares for nothing or nobody in the world except himself.  I wouldn't really have him hanged, but I would really want him to realise the magnitude of what he's done and be genuinely remorseful.   However.... in the meantime, all that shit takes too long, so grab a pitchfork and join in the fun !

Correction - to satisfy this place's mob surely the 60 year old must be a super rich Tory who paid the 16 year old a few coppers to chop it down?

And he must have voted for Brexit too....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Is it possible the 60-year-old man chopped it down with some mates, because the tourists it attracted offended them for some reason, and then set up the 16-year-old (who would not be subject to the same level of legal retribution) assuming he'd be let off with a slap on the wrist?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Is it possible the 60-year-old man chopped it down with some mates, because the tourists it attracted offended them for some reason, and then set up the 16-year-old (who would not be subject to the same level of legal retribution) assuming he'd be let off with a slap on the wrist?
    No mate it was a lone highly skilled and incredibly spoiled and selfish 16 year old tree surgeon that deserves to FUCKING DIE!
    Don't come in here with your fancy thinking. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    BillDL said:
    merlin said:
    I wonder how George Washington must have felt. 
    Probably much the same as most other men.  A bit of "give" on the fleshy parts except when his muscles were flexed, and solid and knobbly on his joints and head.
    I was referring to his need for compressed, matted wool, as it happens. 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    octatonic said:
    A 16 year old cutting down a tree that big?
    That would be surprising, but I guess it isn't impossible.

Straight cut too, they didn't use an angled cut.
    If that was done with a chainsaw then he'd have had to have been a bit of a unit.
    If with a hand saw then he'd have had to use a lot of wedges to stop the weight of the tree preventing the blade from moving.

Highly doubtful it was done by a single person, regardless of their age.

We felled a similarly sized tree last year- a walnut that was potentially causing subsidence for a neighbour.
    It took 3 men 5 hours to do safely.
    Huge difference, any idiot can fell a tree, I've even done it, the skill is felling a tree so that it lands where you want it to without damaging anything.  Which this person obviously did not do, it landed on the bloody wall.  Any idiot with a chainsaw could have done this, there was no skill involved - only 2 cuts pros do at least 3 to control the fall which actually starts off as the tree sliding off of it's stump before it falls.
    Kilgore said:
    Community Service.

Put him to work knocking down that knackered old wall.

Can we not have a wee talk about that first, a hell of a lot of us who live north of that ''knackered old wall'' as you put it, would rather who ever did it be given community service, to rebuild the wall, and to a far far higher standard than the Roman's did, even modernise it, and put it back to work.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    9 out if 10 idiots with a chainsaw would get stuck halfway halfway through when the weight of the tree binds the saw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    edited September 2023
    octatonic said:

If that was done with a chainsaw then he'd have had to have been a bit of a unit.
    If with a hand saw then he'd have had to use a lot of wedges to stop the weight of the tree preventing the blade from moving.

We felled a similarly sized tree last year- a walnut that was potentially causing subsidence for a neighbour.
    Huge difference, any idiot can fell a tree, I've even done it, the skill is felling a tree so that it lands where you want it to without damaging anything.  Which this person obviously did not do, it landed on the bloody wall.  Any idiot with a chainsaw could have done this, there was no skill involved - only 2 cuts pros do at least 3 to control the fall which actually starts off as the tree sliding off of it's stump before it falls.
    Kilgore said:
    Community Service.

Can we not have a wee talk about that first, a hell of a lot of us who live north of that ''knackered old wall'' as you put it, would rather who ever did it be given community service, to rebuild the wall, and to a far far higher standard than the Roman's did, even modernise it, and put it back to work.

From tree felling to high standard wall rebuilding. This kid’s got it all.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultM said:
    octatonic said:

Kilgore said:
    Community Service.

From tree felling to high standard wall rebuilding. This kid’s got it all.

He also was not involved in any way in cutting the tree down, it's 70 miles from my house, and I have multiple alibis that will confirm I was not closer than 70 miles from the tree when it was felled.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    DefaultM said:
    Is it possible the 60-year-old man chopped it down with some mates, because the tourists it attracted offended them for some reason, and then set up the 16-year-old (who would not be subject to the same level of legal retribution) assuming he'd be let off with a slap on the wrist?
    No mate it was a lone highly skilled and incredibly spoiled and selfish 16 year old tree surgeon that deserves to FUCKING DIE!
    Don't come in here with your fancy thinking. 
    Now here is a man who gets it!

In other news, it turns out there is currently a contest of sorts for the title of Britain's greatest tree or something like that and this tree that has been felled was in the lead.

Google it.

I would be looking very closely at the tree in the number two spot.  Sounds very suspicious to me.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • On the up side, if the person or persons responsible for this are crucified, no other trees need to be chopped down for the wood to crucify them with, they've provided their own, which is rather thoughtful of them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    BillDL said:
    Apparently one was a trunk call.

You're on fire today Bill!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    edited September 2023
    no other trees need to be chopped down for the wood to crucify them with, 
    I wooden do that. Besides which, the kid's probably barking mad. Still, not a good idea to leaf him alone. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Russell Brand could've chopped it down to divert attention away from his present predicament.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Maybe this was the truth of it. Old guy just passing on his wisdom.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Huge difference, any idiot can fell a tree, I've even done it
    Sure, Ron Swanson. 

• Huge difference, any idiot can fell a tree, I've even done it
    Sure, Ron Swanson. 

Are you seriously suggesting that felling a tree when you don't give a shit about how, where or what it will land on top of as long as it's not you, is difficult and requires a lot of skill?  That is basically the text book definition of vandalism.
  • Sporky said:
    bit of gaffa and it'll be reet

Nah, you need nails for this sort of work.

Hang on - are we talking about repairing the tree, or the crucifixion thing? 
    Gaffa tape would work fine for crucifixion - the agony of nails being hammered through the wrist (they would just rip through the hand) was not what kills you, its basically holding you in a stress position for several days while your own weight slowly suffocates you.

It says a lot about brutal past methods of execution that there were many much worse ones, fortunately used much, much more rarely.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Sassafras said:
    Russell Brand could've chopped it down to divert attention away from his present predicament.
    Private Eye pointed out that if you thought at some point you were probably going to have to refute extremely serious accusations that you were fully aware would be made when the papers could get a reasonable body of evidence together, pivoting your career to join the nutters going on about how the "MSM" is a conspiracy to get us... would be a pretty solid plan.

All ifs and maybes right now of course...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    Huge difference, any idiot can fell a tree, I've even done it
    Sure, Ron Swanson. 

Are you seriously suggesting that felling a tree when you don't give a shit about how, where or what it will land on top of as long as it's not you, is difficult and requires a lot of skill?  That is basically the text book definition of vandalism.
    I'm seriously suggesting that the tree you 'felled' was probably that big. 
    edited September 2023
    Sporky said:
    bit of gaffa and it'll be reet

Nah, you need nails for this sort of work.

Hang on - are we talking about repairing the tree, or the crucifixion thing? 
    Gaffa tape would work fine for crucifixion - the agony of nails being hammered through the wrist (they would just rip through the hand) was not what kills you, its basically holding you in a stress position for several days while your own weight slowly suffocates you.

It says a lot about brutal past methods of execution that there were many much worse ones, fortunately used much, much more rarely.

There's actually quite a number of ways people have been crucified in the past and to this day, putting nails through the hands is one such method - nails with large heads on them prevent people from pulling their hands free if the flesh in the hands tear, that has both historical evidence, and has been put to the test recently - hands with nails through them will support body weight, another way was to crucify people with the hands over their heads - this was a ''kinder'' method, again there is both historical evidence of this being done as well as recent examples in middle eastern countries that still practice crucifixion as a form of punishment.  Sometimes legs where broken, other times they weren't, sometimes the legs where nailed to the cross, other times they weren't, there wasn't really a codified method to crucify somebody until fairly recently.

It's also worth noting that crucifixion in this day and age is not only used as a form of punishment, a lot of devout Catholics in the Philippines get themselves crucified every Easter, they get it done through their hands, and they are carried though the streets upright hanging from the cross, so not stationary, but bumping up and down while being carried upright on the cross.

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    Well this is nice! :)
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    edited September 2023
    There's actually quite a number of ways people have been crucified in the past and to this day, putting nails through the hands is one such method...

Well it's like the difference between a Strat and a Tele... right?

Edit: my semi-serious point was, I reckon you could crucify someone with gaffa tape.
    edited September 2023
    There's actually quite a number of ways people have been crucified in the past and to this day, putting nails through the hands is one such method...

Well it's like the difference between a Strat and a Tele... right?

Edit: my semi-serious point was, I reckon you could crucify someone with gaffa tape.

I wouldn't say that, being crucified and owning a Tele are hardly comparable, one is not just torturous, humiliating, cruel, like death by a thousand paper cuts cruel, and in bad taste, the other is generally a form of execution.  If given the choice between the 2, I'm very sure that the vast majority of people would agree with me here, and pick being crucified over owning a Tele any day of the week.

And crucifixion via gaffa tape has been done, I believed ''Gaffa'' themselves, as in the brand, did it for an advert, they also tapped people to the sides of trucks, to the under side of bridges over highways, to walls and to many many other things - there was a phase where tapping people to walls and ceilings for fun instead of bullying was popular and Gaffa took advantage of the ''extreme tapping'' phase for advertising.