Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Crucifixion too good for him? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Crucifixion too good for him?

What's Hot

Comments

• My daughter was very upset by it, it was an early memory for her toddling along to it.  

Strange act of vandalism.  Unfathomable… quite an effort for a single 16yr old too.  Would have taken serious skills and equipment in the dark on a stormy night. 

My first thought was local farmer/landowner but the local reaction to that would have been massive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Are there any of those 'travelling' fellows living round there?
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    um....seriously?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:
    An utter sh*t. I hope he pays for that for the rest of his life. If they are merely charging him for an act of vandalism then that is not enough. I feel enraged over this. 
    Perhaps you can quote the additional laws you'd like to use in charging him?

At the same time pen an essay on the dangers of making law to target a single person, retrospectively.
    With that said...I'm pretty sure the sentencing guidelines for criminal damage at Heritage sites made more severe a few years back?

Pretty sure it won't just be a vanilla vandalism charge...
    The guidelines did get updated. But that's going to be mitigated somewhat by the fact that he's not an adult. If he's convicted.

It's definitely weird though. I think there's a fair bit more of this story to come.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That's quite a bit of effort as vandalism goes. 

Meanwhile they have arrested someone for arson of The Crooked House so Dudley magistrates will be checking the statutes to see if they can order capital punishment. 

[the arson has been huge news locally, I can only assume it has made the national and international press] 

All of this stuff is an awful destruction of our history but to suggest that the death penalty could be on the cards for the cutting down of a tree or the burning down of an empty building would be an insane over reaction. We don't even consider it for the most heinous of crimes towards people, but a building? Nah, it won't happen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I know it will probably go nowhere but FWIW I've flagged this as a racist comment. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    I blame Suella Braverman. Typical Tory distraction technique.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That's quite a bit of effort as vandalism goes. 

Meanwhile they have arrested someone for arson of The Crooked House so Dudley magistrates will be checking the statutes to see if they can order capital punishment. 

[the arson has been huge news locally, I can only assume it has made the national and international press] 

All of this stuff is an awful destruction of our history but to suggest that the death penalty could be on the cards for the cutting down of a tree or the burning down of an empty building would be an insane over reaction. We don't even consider it for the most heinous of crimes towards people, but a building? Nah, it won't happen.
    Damn it.. I really wanted the lad nailed up to die slowly over days while descending into a final madness from dehydration.

oh well…. 

• It’s very sad ,very sad indeed especially given it’s unique landmark status , but  after all , we are facing a nuclear threat, kids going without breakfast , years of austerity at the hands of self serving toff’s , a public health service that’s been privatised in all but name . I find it hard to get all riled up about a tree being chopped down  to be honest , it’s just very sad . A lot of landmark trees have been lost either because they’re dangerous or blown down in storms we eventually learn to live without them 
  • It’s a terrible thing to see but it’s the usual Daily Mail/media thing of whipping everyone up into a frenzy of outrage and bile so that all the woes of the world can be projected onto one pathetic individual.  So many 300 year old trees are being cut down across the country and indeed the world on a daily basis.  The wood near me has been decimated over the last 10 years, all perfectly legally.  I pass a massive sawmill everyday on the bike and it’s such a sad monument to destruction.  You can sense the sadness and pain seeping out of the piles of timber which line up into the distance.  The natural world needs much more protection but the media can’t get so worked up about that for some reason.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    It’s very sad ,very sad indeed especially given it’s unique landmark status , but  after all , we are facing a nuclear threat, kids going without breakfast , years of austerity at the hands of self serving toff’s , a public health service that’s been privatised in all but name . I find it hard to get all riled up about a tree being chopped down  to be honest , it’s just very sad . A lot of landmark trees have been lost either because they’re dangerous or blown down in storms we eventually learn to live without them 
    I have to say that I do ultimately agree. People get more riled up over a tree and 20mph speed limits than the fact we have the worst living standards in decades and the highest level of corruption in politics for generations. In fact people will still vote for these people. This isn't to say that I don't understand peoples anger, and destruction can be a violent act which makes it much more visceral, and avoidable but some of the comments on Facebook calling for the kids head are insane. People need to get some perspective.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I can't see it being a local farmer with a gripe. Walkers along the wall bring a lot to the local economy and don't really go to see 'the tree' anyway. It's just something to see and take a picture of whilst walking the wall. Right now however, 'the stump' will likely become a tourist hotspot. 

I think the lad has boasted about his chainsaw skills and someone has bet him to cut down the tree in the middle of a storm for him to 'put up or shut up'. He may well be an easily led, vulnerable type but has decent skills even at a young age. He's proved himself to his doubters, probably really chuffed with himself, but didn't understand that it was something really stupid. He will be local, well known and that's why they've arrested him quickly. Perhaps reported by someone who overheard the bet taking place. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TBH, many of the better news sources have highlighted how it represents the wider lack of respect for the environment and threats to forest and habitats generally. It’s symbolic.

As individually destructive as it is, it does also represent bigger issues in society to many. 

I’d also agree that at 16, he’s either a very naive and easily led kid or got some major home struggles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    If it's only a tree then I suppose people don't mind if a tiny bit of a tree is stolen, like your guitars ?  Those must be totally trivial crimes

I am really saddened by this 

• sev112 said:
    If it's only a tree then I suppose people don't mind if a tiny bit of a tree is stolen, like your guitars ?  Those must be totally trivial crimes

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    axisus said:
    An utter sh*t. I hope he pays for that for the rest of his life. If they are merely charging him for an act of vandalism then that is not enough. I feel enraged over this. 
    Leaf it, leaf it! He's knot worth it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

1. It's just a tree.

2. People in the north shouldn't have nice things.

3. Google Maps shows the location has been renamed Sycamore Stump.

4. Maybe they'll knock down that rusty birdman thing next.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Just thinking further about who this kid might be, and perhaps we just need to hold fire a little before we crucify him.

By all means, string him up if he's just a cocky little cunt. But this kid could have all manner of issues.

Just looking at another news item today about the acceptance of Russian para-Olympians at the next games. I wonder if they will be booed as their able-bodied countryfolk are? 

Maybe we are quick to boo (or crucify) but will feel uncomfortable in hindsight about doing so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited September 2023
    Shrews said:

Maybe we are quick to boo (or crucify) but will feel uncomfortable in hindsight about doing so.
    Not if somebody else does it. Then we'll just tut at them with hindsight.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I hear that there is unrest in the forest, trouble with the trees, the maples want more sunlight and the oaks ignore their pleas. Sycamore are just collateral damage.

Also the Ents are rather riled. I fear they could be on the warpath.

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Community Service.

Put him to work knocking down that knackered old wall.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • There should be a media blackout of his name, so other than "16 year old boy", no-one knows who he is; thereby dooming him to a lifetime of people not believing him when he says he was the one who cut it down.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    Biggest disappointment for me on this topic is that @Emp_Fab didn't start this thread...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Chalky said:
    Biggest disappointment for me on this topic is that @Emp_Fab didn't start this thread...
    Give him time.

It will be a "What chainsaw..." thread.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112 said:

I was being objective as should those who sentence him

Im willing to bet that HS2  that no one really wanted may have decimated one or two Copses & Spinneys  or other significant environmental rarities & long standing landmarks ,for a train line that was not absolutely necessary . Somehow the perpetrators behind this will escape any personal vilification & sit comfortably clinking their brandy snifters while summoning the steward at their London club to s up off the end of their Cuban cigar 
  • Paul_C said:

1. It's just a tree.

2. People in the north shouldn't have nice things.

3. Google Maps shows the location has been renamed Sycamore Stump.

4. Maybe they'll knock down that rusty birdman thing next.
    I can thoroughly see how people would be upset , it really is a bloody waste  but it’s done now,
    vilifying the poor young dimwit who did it won’t bring it back though I guess . Perhaps he will learn from this and go on to serve a valuable role in society . If he has done it he obviously has skills  perhaps he could serve a community service type thing where he can put those skills to use  with a view to  future employment in the forestry service and he could be made to give talks to schools about how stupid it was and encourage youngsters to help with the environment .

but then again I’m starting to talk like some middle class yoghurt knitting do gooder  who suggests rewarding people for doing bad  but sometimes it just , may e once or twice does work or have a positive outcome.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Plant a few new trees to account for it, that will make it ok.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Make him eat a sycamore seed so that a new tree sprouts from his belly and kills him.

Well, that's what they said about eating apple pips when I was a nipper. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    edited September 2023
    Meanwhile, huge swathes of rain forests and jungles are being decimated.
    As long as we have plenty of palm oil and burgers, that's OK.