Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Crucifixion too good for him? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Crucifixion too good for him?

What's Hot

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    Surely his defence will be to walk into the courtroom and shout "Just Stop Oil"?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Like the end of the poor sycamore itself, I'm genuinely stumped as to why anyone would do this. It's just utterly senseless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Sassafras said:
    Meanwhile, huge swathes of rain forests and jungles are being decimated.
    As long as we have plenty of palm oil and burgers, that's OK.
    I don’t think you understand. This tree was in a film.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    DefaultM said:
    Sassafras said:
    Meanwhile, huge swathes of rain forests and jungles are being decimated.
    As long as we have plenty of palm oil and burgers, that's OK.
    I don’t think you understand. This tree was in a film.
    One felling is a tragedy, a million fellings is a statistic?  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited September 2023
    I don’t really understand the hatred. I mean, yes he’s commited an act of vandalism, and I understand that people loved the tree. But is he pathetic / utter cunt / vile shit / bastard? He’s a 16 year old boy; why did he do it, is he unhappy or suggestible or suffering from something? What caused it? And what’s all this about an insidious assault on nature? Seems there’s more anger about this boy killing a tree than there is about the government rowing back on their climate commitments. I don’t even want this boy to go to jail, I just want him to be helped. And yep we’ll have to grow another tree. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Whilst in unrelated news, the destruction of.forests in Brazil are not being reported...
    While I don't condone the actions, it does seem a little bit of an overreaction 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I do think this is sad thing to have happened, both for the tree & people who enjoyed visiting it.
    However, my feeling is @Sassafras & also @Chalky 's Stalin paraphrase are right. It's the individualisation of this happening to an aesthetically attractive & famous tree that seems to illicit the outrage. Unknown trees of this age are being cut down in vast numbers all the time for grazing & to make stuff we probably don't need.
    It's like the famous lion being killed by that dentist knobber & the famous stag on Exmoor (who may not actualy have been killed at the time) These are apparently outrages, but their nameless wild, never mind domestic counterparts ... well, "cycle of life", "tradition",  or even "conservation" according to the royal family.

As for the perpetrator, I suspect they knew what they were doing was wrong, but trial by media isn't going to fix them, or put the tree back @Shrews may well have the measure of it. Sad alround really.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Put the tree back up using wooden supports - and hang him from it.  On live TV.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's a really odd thing to do.. but something of an overreaction going on here.

Remove yhe stump, plant a new tree, wait 100 years , job done.
  • stanstan Frets: 182
    If we hadn`t got rid of the birch, the sycamore would still be standing..  maybe not in the same place though ....
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I wonder if people are more angry about one tree being cut down, or Just Stop Oil.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 256
    I see a "man in his 60's" has now been arrested also.  Whoever said there was more to this than first thought, appears to be right.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1732
    A 60year old man has now been arrested. I wonder if that’s as an accomplice to the 16year old or an alternative live of enquiry?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    wood you really want to crucify him though? I think his bark is probably worse than his bite.

Dont worry, be silly.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    I heard from an Irish friend that they’re looking to arrest three fellers
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    The police will be reluctant to name the perpetrator in case someone ends up decking him.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Put the tree back up using wooden supports - and hang him from it.  On live TV.
    Hey kids, here's our angry little mascot!!! Isn't he cute!
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    My main concern at the moment is for the integrity of the border.  We can play whodunnit later, but first we need to understand how vital that tree was to the sanctity of the wall.  
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    viz said:
    I don’t really understand the hatred. 
    I do. So do most people here. This was an act without any possible excuse which will have an impact for many decades, and which won't be punished with anything like the severity it merits.

Some people are utter cunts and simply don't deserve our sympathy, let alone any mercy. You could put him in a hole and, frankly, make the world a slightly better place. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • A short stint in adult prison would be an eye-opener for the perpetrator. He'd receive more wood than he can possibly handle.

Alternatively, to placate Daily Mail readers, ritually divest him of his 'nads using his own chainsaw.
    Be seeing you.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited September 2023
    Tannin said:
    viz said:
    I do. So do most people here. This was an act without any possible excuse which will have an impact for many decades, and which won't be punished with anything like the severity it merits.

Some people are utter cunts and simply don't deserve our sympathy, let alone any mercy. You could put him in a hole and, frankly, make the world a slightly better place. 

But hatred? I haven’t actually seen or read anything about him - has he shown himself to be aggressive or cruel or something? We shouldn’t forget, he is a child; he may have a mental condition - depressiom, autism, something. Or he may have been coerced. Do we know about his family situation?

Anyway, I think he should be given the suitable punishment for a child’s vandalism act, some support and compassion to help him grow out of it, he should help plant a new tree or trees, and we should all hope he turns this around. We should not be hoping he gets fucked up his arse by rapists in prison. 

And while I’m here, if we care about the planet we would of course also support others who are trying to reverse the corporate vandalism being done to it. That’s the positive side of the same coin that would could explain wanting to enact pain and suffering on this boy. Has anyone here actually ever thrown eggs at a boy or put him in a hole, or nailed him to a tree or raped him? What’s it like?
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Tannin said:
    viz said:

Could say the same about you...
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Property developers do this stuff all the time.
    Our "heritage" means nothing when money's at stake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Tannin said:
    viz said:

What an excellent way to turn a non violent criminal into one. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    I wonder how George Washington must have felt. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    merlin said:
    I wonder how George Washington must have felt. 
    Probably much the same as most other men.  A bit of "give" on the fleshy parts except when his muscles were flexed, and solid and knobbly on his joints and head.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'm really surprised at how quickly the Northumbria Police made the arrests.  It must have been the Special Branch.

I'll get my coat .........
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    They’re checking their phone logs to see if anyone else was involved
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Apparently one was a trunk call.
  • I’m sure the cops will get to the root of it soon.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter