Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Crucifixion too good for him? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Crucifixion too good for him?

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited September 2023
    Is it wrong that all I can see is wood that looks consistently light in colour with potential for nice rippling/flame - there might be some nice lumber in it
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm genuinely wondering how they knew it was him. Are there CCTVs around that tree?  I'd assume he wouldn't have cut that tree if people were around. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 140
    edited September 2023
    I'm genuinely wondering how they knew it was him. Are there CCTVs around that tree?  I'd assume he wouldn't have cut that tree if people were around. 
    From the article: "The closest pub to Sycamore Gap offered a £1,500 bar tab to anyone who provided information to Northumbria Police leading to an arrest"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ^ it was at this point the culprit discovered who were his fair-weather friends
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Does sycamore make nice guitar bodies? 
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited September 2023
    nero1701 said:
    Does sycamore make nice guitar bodies? 
    Sycamore (or European maple if your prefer) is the original wood choice for the backs and sides of most traditional stringed instruments.

it often has some flame, just like other maples,  Its a bit softer than the American varieties often used for guitars, so can work well for solid bodies depending on the piece.  It's better as top wood for electrics, or back and sides for acoustics,. There is no saying this trunk is good enough for either of those really, but it does seem to have some nice colour and a rippling up the bit of stump we can see
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • No, nail some sense into him.
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bit of gaffa and it'll be reet

too soon??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pretty sure @FelineGuitars has repaired worse breaks on Gibson necks.
    <space for hire>
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    bit of gaffa and it'll be reet

Nah, you need nails for this sort of work.

Hang on - are we talking about repairing the tree, or the crucifixion thing? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • yockyyocky Frets: 744
    Must admit, I've occasionally daydreamed (daydreamt?) of sycamore terrorism after another spring spent pulling up thousands of saplings growing in the garden. Fertile mofos. This seems a bit much though.
  • That's quite a bit of effort as vandalism goes. 

Meanwhile they have arrested someone for arson of The Crooked House so Dudley magistrates will be checking the statutes to see if they can order capital punishment. 

[the arson has been huge news locally, I can only assume it has made the national and international press] 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    That's quite a bit of effort as vandalism goes. 

Meanwhile they have arrested someone for arson of The Crooked House so Dudley magistrates will be checking the statutes to see if they can order capital punishment. 

[the arson has been huge news locally, I can only assume it has made the national and international press] 

That's awful, buying a property you know you won't get permission to develop and then it mysteriously catching fire, amazing how often it seems to happen.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    An utter sh*t. I hope he pays for that for the rest of his life. If they are merely charging him for an act of vandalism then that is not enough. I feel enraged over this. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    axisus said:
    An utter sh*t. I hope he pays for that for the rest of his life. If they are merely charging him for an act of vandalism then that is not enough. I feel enraged over this. 
    It'll be classed as a pretty minor crime I suspect. He'll get a bit of community service, which he might be well advised to do somewhere else. 
  • Does anyone else find it a bit hard to believe that a 16 year old had the equipment and skill necessary to do this?  I'm no tree surgeon, but that cut looks like a professional job - and one which would have required a serious chainsaw.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now |  WTB: EQD Talons | Jazzmaster build thread
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:
    Perhaps you can quote the additional laws you'd like to use in charging him?

At the same time pen an essay on the dangers of making law to target a single person, retrospectively.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    axisus said:

Is there a law against being a selfish, antisocial little cunt?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Offset said:
    axisus said:

Is there a law against being a selfish, antisocial little cunt?
    No.

Otherwise 99% of the House of Commons would have been locked up.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I'm genuinely wondering how they knew it was him. Are there CCTVs around that tree?  I'd assume he wouldn't have cut that tree if people were around. 
    CCTreeV
  • Just adds to my ever increasing misanthropy, a trait I share with @Emp_Fab ;

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    A 16 year old cutting down a tree that big?
    That would be surprising, but I guess it isn't impossible.

Straight cut too, they didn't use an angled cut.
    If that was done with a chainsaw then he'd have had to have been a bit of a unit.
    If with a hand saw then he'd have had to use a lot of wedges to stop the weight of the tree preventing the blade from moving.

Highly doubtful it was done by a single person, regardless of their age.

We felled a similarly sized tree last year- a walnut that was potentially causing subsidence for a neighbour.
    It took 3 men 5 hours to do safely.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    He probably filmed himself cutting it down to put on tiktok.

• munckee said:
    That's quite a bit of effort as vandalism goes. 

That's awful, buying a property you know you won't get permission to develop and then it mysteriously catching fire, amazing how often it seems to happen.
    The slightly odd thing is that the estate I live on seems to have been like that. There was some lovely old farm building that had stood for 200 years, farmer doesn't get permission to sell the land for development and a few weeks later oops old farm building accidentally catches fire and land sold to Barrats. 

Anyway, sorry nothing to do with the tree. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited September 2023
    Make some stocks out of the wood and put the bastard in them where the tree stood for a whole winter and let people pelt him with rotten eggs.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Does anyone else find it a bit hard to believe that a 16 year old had the equipment and skill necessary to do this?  I'm no tree surgeon, but that cut looks like a professional job - and one which would have required a serious chainsaw.
    Things You May Not Know About The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    It seems the oddest piece of vandalism. The most understandable explanation would be a local farmer or landowner sick of tourists damaging infrastructure or crops, scaring livestock and trespassing in order to get to the tree site. 

It makes no sense to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Open_G said:
    It seems the oddest piece of vandalism. The most understandable explanation would be a local farmer or landowner sick of tourists damaging infrastructure or crops, scaring livestock and trespassing in order to get to the tree site. 

It makes no sense to me. 
    Double no sense given tourists have been walking the wall for centuries although the numbers have increased a lot in the last 50 years. Seems more like a bet or Tiktok nonsense to me.

The wall and a strip of land around it is both a scheduled monument and UNESCO World Heritage Site. I would imagine that the restrictions on sheep farming from those designations would outweigh the irritation from tourists. The idea that it was some sort of 'revenge' still seems pretty far fetched.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • axisus said:

At the same time pen an essay on the dangers of making law to target a single person, retrospectively.
    With that said...I'm pretty sure the sentencing guidelines for criminal damage at Heritage sites made more severe a few years back?

Pretty sure it won't just be a vanilla vandalism charge...
    <space for hire>