Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fender Tone Master Pro Leaked - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fender Tone Master Pro Leaked

What's Hot

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    I’ve watched a bit of the Andertons demo and the UI looks great and I guess some people will want that. I’d be worried about damaging it at a gig! It looks like it would be a nice desktop thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I’ve watched a bit of the Andertons demo and the UI looks great and I guess some people will want that. I’d be worried about damaging it at a gig! It looks like it would be a nice desktop thing.
    I thought the same and also worry if the footswitches,  which are also  encoders can survive gigging when there's loads of damp mud on the stage. 

If I buy something for gigging then it needs to be able to handle all gigs. I wouldn't want to pay a lot of money and then fret if the gig'ing conditions were likely to damage it. 

All screens fail eventually no matter what the tech. Doesn't matter if it's a phone, a mixing desk or a laptop or a modeller, the screen will fail at some point. Could just be the ribbon cable and often is or could be the driver for the LED V+ or it could be the one of the many matrix joints of the actual screen but something will fail. 

When this happens on a phone or a laptop after 5 or 7 years it doesn't seem to be much of an issue as the techs moved on and we get a new one but would we be expected to accept this of a modeller or will be there be a cost effective repair program in place with parts readily available to keep it running ?

This is how my mind works .. I can't help looking at something and see'ing all the ways it's going to go wrong. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    Nerine said:
    OK.

A lot of the time I listen to YouTube reviews in the car whilst I'm driving etc to help pass the time. I check mixes in the car when I'm working on clients' music. I know the stereo well. 

i listened to the Leon Todd review on the way to the office this morning, and the guitar sounds all sounded very mix ready to me. I.e. whatever he played, kinda sounded like it was already EQ's and was part of a record etc. 

Usually this means they are going to be pretty bright. 

Perhaps this is why people's initial reactions are that the tones are bright/"brittle"/"harsh". Perhaps the presets are designed to pretty much sit in a mix straight away. I actually thought it sounded pretty good. 
    I should qualify this a bit further - I thought the sounds Leon dialled in were pretty good. When he played through the presets, they were less good. Not sure what that means though. Perhaps some of the models sound alright, some sound shit. 

Can't see it being a roaring success given it's already garnering quite a lot of negative reaction and cynicism from the online community. Usually there's a reason for it. Not even hype is helping it at the min. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I had the Andertons video on through the big TV and sound bar so it was one up from my iPad. There were definitely moments when they were describing these big rock sounds and what I was hearing was a 5 watt tranny combo. But other things sounded fine. Lot of variables in how the sound gets to me but for a demo of an expensive bit of kit it was a bit underwhelming at times. They also made much of its relative simplicity but then dived into the IRs which seemed like 5000 options to make tiny changes. 
    I’m sure it makes sense to somebody. 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    @JohnCordy As a regular modeller user, I look forward to seeing your thoughts on this unit.

https://youtu.be/rDOY4MLwx0Y?feature=shared
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    Watched quite a videos of this today. Odd that they sent so many of these very expensive devices to YouTubers without final firmwar. So many "feature coming soon" moments.

Was interesting in TheGuitarGeek video that he thought while the Fender owned amps sounded great (including 5150) the other stuff like Marshall sounded less good.
    There's no such thing as "Final Firmware"

All the big modellers have had regular updates with new features that weren't there at launch, but were planned.
    These products would never get released at all if they were waiting for a final firmware version!
    There is at Atomic. No firmware updates for 2 years.
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 587
    @duotone still trying to dial in some stuff but honestly I feel like 24 hours in with most of my other modelers (QC, hotone Ampero, Fractal) I'd have had a "wow" moment. That's yet to happen with this unit.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    The gain tones don't sound very good in the demos to me. It has a similar high end artefact in the sound to what the NUX modelling has when the treble/presence is turned past around 50%. It's almost like the kind of nasty octavey effect you get on some fuzzes. Forgivable for me on a budget unit but at this price I don't see why anyone would choose the Fender over a more established option. I guess the GUI does look nice though.
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 86
    I've read "somewhere" that apparently almost all the release day videos where made with pre-release or beta software/firmware(not sure which) & there is a new version which should be loaded to those early units which improves things, or so i've read "somewhere"
    I thought the ITBlues & Brett Kinsman vids sounded good, but then everything he plays sounds great  =)
  • JohnCordy said:
    @duotone still trying to dial in some stuff but honestly I feel like 24 hours in with most of my other modelers (QC, hotone Ampero, Fractal) I'd have had a "wow" moment. That's yet to happen with this unit.
    @JohnCordy Which would you say is your favourite modeller? I have the Boss GT1000 but thinking of selling as the UI does my head in. Cheers
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    GrahamG said:
    I've read "somewhere" that apparently almost all the release day videos where made with pre-release or beta software/firmware(not sure which) & there is a new version which should be loaded to those early units which improves things, or so i've read "somewhere"
    I thought the ITBlues & Brett Kinsman vids sounded good, but then everything he plays sounds great  =)
    From bits I’ve seen sent out with pre release ‘ware and pre completing the user manual. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • JohnCordy said:
    @JohnCordy Which would you say is your favourite modeller? I have the Boss GT1000 but thinking of selling as the UI does my head in. Cheers
    His channel pretty much does them all worth a watch
  • HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 25
    edited October 2023
    Having watched the big ol' Andertons video comaprison, I think they have done a really good job on the overall physical layout of the ToneMaster.  There is enough information available, yet it's not too big physically.  It also looks premium.

The UI and OS on the Fender also looks significantly better than the other modellers out there, so it looks as though they've put some real thought behind it.  From a Helix user of 5 years, then - sounds aside, since it's hard to judge from Youtube - then that's what would get me to buy it over the others.  Less faffing, more playing.

The fact that each mini-screen LCD above each switch displays the actual parameter is also an excellent touch.  Although the Helix Floor does have these, you can't use the switches to update parameters.
  • It looks to me as if they have collected all the best bits of the recent modellers and put them into one well-put together package. It's got an internal PSU, excellent UI, room for a huge number of IRs, lots of connectivity and loops for external pedals, really powerful DSPs and CPUs. From YouTube I can't really tell what it sounds like or feels like, but it at least as good as its floor-based competitors.

The main thing about these is support. Are they going to keep on supporting with bug fixes and new features? That's what people seem to want.

One thing I'd like to know is the routing. The Boss GT-1000, despite the divisive UI, has almost unparalleled routing capablities in its patches and I'd like to see if Fender have built in similar features. I'm sure we'll get a bunch of videos showing what it can do now it's launched.
  • It looks to me as if they have collected all the best bits of the recent modellers and put them into one well-put together package. It's got an internal PSU, excellent UI, room for a huge number of IRs, lots of connectivity and loops for external pedals, really powerful DSPs and CPUs. From YouTube I can't really tell what it sounds like or feels like, but it at least as good as its floor-based competitors.

The main thing about these is support. Are they going to keep on supporting with bug fixes and new features? That's what people seem to want.

One thing I'd like to know is the routing. The Boss GT-1000, despite the divisive UI, has almost unparalleled routing capablities in its patches and I'd like to see if Fender have built in similar features. I'm sure we'll get a bunch of videos showing what it can do now it's launched.
    Interesting. i know you tube sounds arent representative but the one thing i felt was i could tell that it just didnt sound as good as price equivalent competitors.  Jon Cordys new video- it just hasnt the sounds he gets so quickly out of the other modellers.  if it was half the price fine but it is v expensive.  I suspect its going to bomb sadly.
  • I'm curious enough that I might pick a used one up in a year or so.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    edited October 2023
    I think maybe there's a limit to how good digital modelling can get. I don't think it's a processing power thing, I mean the processing power over the last 10 years has improved a fair bit but the modelling hasn't really got much better. A lot of the demos sound ok in a kind of over effected way but strip away the verbs and delays and it falls a bit flat to me. 

I think some people will buy this because it's Fender ... a name they have trusted for 40 years or more. A famous brand carries a lot of weight when it comes to sales but it's not something I would buy for half the price it is let alone the RRP
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • What I like about the current modellers is the capability of setting them up to go FoH or in 4cm with a real amp.

Most people still say that amp modelling is still missing "something" when playing through them, but I like the capability to set up two identical patches so I could play with an amp one day and on a silent stage the next day with exactly the same patches on the same switches.

For me the models of pedals and FX are pretty much identical to real pedals so the ability to have the same unit but being able to add a preamp, cab and mic with one press of a switch is too convenient to ignore.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Can someone please tell me - have Fender ever supported a digital item beyond (at best) a two year release cycle? From the Cyber Twin, to the X2 Champs,  to the Mustangs and the Tonemasters - they are released pretty much like old tech, some nominal updates within a few months of release, then nothing. Why will this be any different?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFish said:
    Can someone please tell me - have Fender ever supported a digital item beyond (at best) a two year release cycle? From the Cyber Twin, to the X2 Champs,  to the Mustangs and the Tonemasters - they are released pretty much like old tech, some nominal updates within a few months of release, then nothing. Why will this be any different?

THat's the point I was making above. Line 6 really changed the game with the Helix and set the standard for other manufacturers in terms of post sale support. Look at the criticism that Boss got for the GT-1000 and Neural for the Quad Cortex. It's a different model these days and Fender need to have changed their attitude from their abandonment of their previous digital products.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    GoFish said:
    That would be my concern at £1500.

The Fender amps do sound fantastic (I’d expect them to) but it needs WAY more than that at this price.

I’ve noticed despite all the YouTubers (well most of them) pushing it and some saying it’ll sell out and be a waiting list game, what has actually happened is all the big stores in the UK have a lot of stock still,

You might see a Black Friday sale on these down to £1300.
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    GoFish said:

The Fender amps do sound fantastic (I’d expect them to) but it needs WAY more than that at this price.

I’ve noticed despite all the YouTubers (well most of them) pushing it and some saying it’ll sell out and be a waiting list game, what has actually happened is all the big stores in the UK have a lot of stock still,

Project Music has the TMP at £1399…
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    NickB said:
    GoFish said:

Project Music has the TMP at £1399…
    It’s already dropping! 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Danny1969 said:
    I think maybe there's a limit to how good digital modelling can get. I don't think it's a processing power thing, I mean the processing power over the last 10 years has improved a fair bit but the modelling hasn't really got much better. A lot of the demos sound ok in a kind of over effected way but strip away the verbs and delays and it falls a bit flat to me. 

I'm inclined to agree. I'm currently on another of my five-yearly attempts to go digital in a live context and the Pod Go is doing pretty well compared to previous attempts, but that's largely due to increased flexibility rather than vastly improve core sounds.

The stomp box effects sound perfectly fine straight into a real guitar amp and I've got a workable sound straight to desk post cab sim, but only after endless tweaking of virtual mic choice and placement, which are as ever just fancy names for subtle EQ tweaks.  
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 208
    edited October 2023
    I watched the Rhett Schull video about it.   He likes the UI, Build quality and software but he doesn't think the amp models sounds great.   He puts the TMP close to the bottom of the list compared to fractal, line 6, QC etc.   Here's his comments about it:

• LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    GoFish said:
    I don’t think I trust them to do this. I was really disappointed that they didn’t do anything with the Acoustasonic guitars … they could have done so much with what is essentially a digital product. Adding new acoustic models, moving where voices were on the switch, adding different amp models to the “electric” sounds. But nothing, it’s just not in Fender’s DNA.
  • allenallen Frets: 545
    GoFish said:
    This. Companies don't tend to change their culture overnight.

• VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 270
    edited October 2023
    Checked this one out and it is very good, the main selling point for me is the UI, it’s one of the best and easy to use. Helix is close, Kepler, Quad and Fractal somewhat more difficult.
    if you’re a studio fan then any of the top end gear is ok as there is time to tweak and adjust….and delve !….
    on stage it’s a bit trickier and unpredictable…..
    The Fender unit, IMO, straddles both worlds best.
    whether it gets good support from Fender in the future is a concern but I feel that improvements in what can be achieved sound wise are getting smaller and smaller to the point where soon they will be pointless.
    This  unit has everything that I would need , already have a Helix Rack, but if I was to purchase I’d hang on until Xmas and watch those deals start popping up …..
    I expect £1250 before too long and then it is worth a serious look.
  • TTT
  • HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 25
    Maybe I'm late to the party here, but has anyone else noticed the price has dropped already from £1699 to £1499?