Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Can you categorically state which film you have watched most? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Can you categorically state which film you have watched most?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    May I also join the "Matrix Resurrections was just fine" bandwagon?

I still maintain Reloaded and Resurrections are great movies I'll happily re-watch. 

Not without flaws by any stretch but early victims of the "Internet Criticism" age where people pile in to criticise things for fun without any positivity and everyone is apparently an expert in screen writing.
    Has anyone who hated Reloaded and Revolutions liked Resurrections?  I found them both insufferable but I am prepared to give Resurrections a go if I have time...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CMW335 said:
    Jaws
    Me too. Superb film.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    edited September 2023
    bluecat said:
    ... Once upon a time in America. Brilliant film, I could watch it over and over again.
    Totally agree on that one, although I think its magic is in the opening and in that first section when they are boys. The ending in the opium den, though, must be one of the most powerful ever conceived and recorded.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Where Eagles Dare.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Ghostbusters.

I think it's one line away from being a perfect movie. Must have seen it at least 50 times. 
    I want to know which line lets it down. 

I genuinely think it's flawless. And I know this is partly because I grew up with it and the cartoon and loved it to bits. But as an adult I genuinely don't think there has ever been anything better. I could an accept an argument that Raiders, BTTF, Alien  and Hot Fuzz are on the same level, but vanishingly few others. 

Mind you some of you lot are trying to defend the Matrix sequels so I'm just going to remember the old adage 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Rocky Horror Picture Show.
  • Warriors, when videos first came out, I was in the Army. One of the guys in our room bought one, the machine cost a fortune. He had two films, Warroirs and some horror film. I don’t like horror films! 
    I watched Warriors so many times, back then I could recite it word for word. I still think it’s a great film and the soundtrack is just fab.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Warriors, when videos first came out, I was in the Army. One of the guys in our room bought one, the machine cost a fortune. He had two films, Warroirs and some horror film. I don’t like horror films! 
    I watched Warriors so many times, back then I could recite it word for word. I still think it’s a great film and the soundtrack is just fab.

Absolutely one of my fave 70s films! It was considered so violent when it came out, shows how times have changed.

• Mind you some of you lot are trying to defend the Matrix sequels so I'm just going to remember the old adage 

Reminds me of the old adage "Fuck right off ya ponce..." ;)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Reverend said:
    Conan The Barbarian
    Police Academy
    Dune
    Trading Places
    Star Wars

Do you mind me asking @Reverend - is that the original Dune film or is it the newer ones? Have you seen them? I watched a documentary about David Kroneburg yesterday - the consensus among the taking heads seemed to be that Dune was the one thing he was not proud of and that he felt he'd had to compromise too much with the producers as it was a big budget film unlike his other films at that time....... one of my favourite films of recent years was blade runner 2049 - and I like a few of Denis Villeneuves other films (Sicario and Prisoners in particular) - wonder whether to start with the original or to go with the new ones?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    Probably Drunken Master.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Philly_Q said:

I still maintain Reloaded and Resurrections are great movies I'll happily re-watch. 

Not without flaws by any stretch but early victims of the "Internet Criticism" age where people pile in to criticise things for fun without any positivity and everyone is apparently an expert in screen writing.
    Has anyone who hated Reloaded and Revolutions liked Resurrections?  I found them both insufferable but I am prepared to give Resurrections a go if I have time...
    Resurrections is a bad movie. It's starts very well and then does nothing interesting thereafter and the end is extremely unsatisfactory.

Revolutions was good although it could have been more of a twisty thriller than action set piece.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    axisus said:
    boogieman said:
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:

Like others I’ve put Disney films on dozens of times for my kids when they were little, things like Hercules, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Toy Story, but I doubt I’ve actually watched them properly more than once or twice. 
    Now you mention it, I may have watched Toy Story more times than Once Upon A Time In The West… maybe Toy Story 2 as well. They’re both actually great films.
    Pixar really nailed the balance between entertaining children and have a deeper layer for the parents to enjoy too. I really like Toy Story too, but for me Up is their best film. 
    Up could have been their best, but I say they blew it. The sad start - brilliant. the journey with the house - superb. But then we get .... evil bad guy and loads of talking dogs!?!? It went into garbage writing territory. They should have had the balls to make a great 'gentle' film, with no evil enemy, no dumb talking dogs, just a man on a journey of discovery.  
    I think you might be looking at it from an adult viewpoint. My take on your points. 

Wistful, gentle films are fine for grown ups but they couldn’t maintain the sad element for too long, or kids would've just got bored with it. I don’t think my own kids would’ve watched a gentle film about a man on a journey of discovery.

Most kids films need an evil enemy to focus on… in fact I can’t think of many, if any, classic cartoon films that don’t have one? Kids also need simple clear indicators of who’s good and who’s bad, their emotional understanding really isn’t that sophisticated. 

Doug the talking dog is a brilliant character, he’s funny, empathetic, loyal, really well observed and ……….squirrel! I think he actually might be one of the best characters Pixar have designed. I’ll qualify that with the fact that I love dogs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    Blade Runner. Maybe seen it over a hundred times. More. Still find something new in it each time too. Hard to fault,
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    boogieman said:
    axisus said:
    boogieman said:
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:

Like others I’ve put Disney films on dozens of times for my kids when they were little, things like Hercules, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Toy Story, but I doubt I’ve actually watched them properly more than once or twice. 
    Now you mention it, I may have watched Toy Story more times than Once Upon A Time In The West… maybe Toy Story 2 as well. They’re both actually great films.
    Pixar really nailed the balance between entertaining children and have a deeper layer for the parents to enjoy too. I really like Toy Story too, but for me Up is their best film. 
    Up could have been their best, but I say they blew it. The sad start - brilliant. the journey with the house - superb. But then we get .... evil bad guy and loads of talking dogs!?!? It went into garbage writing territory. They should have had the balls to make a great 'gentle' film, with no evil enemy, no dumb talking dogs, just a man on a journey of discovery.  
    I think you might be looking at it from an adult viewpoint. My take on your points. 

Wistful, gentle films are fine for grown ups but they couldn’t maintain the sad element for too long, or kids would've just got bored with it. I don’t think my own kids would’ve watched a gentle film about a man on a journey of discovery.

Most kids films need an evil enemy to focus on… in fact I can’t think of many, if any, classic cartoon films that don’t have one? Kids also need simple clear indicators of who’s good and who’s bad, their emotional understanding really isn’t that sophisticated. 

Doug the talking dog is a brilliant character, he’s funny, empathetic, loyal, really well observed and ……….squirrel! I think he actually might be one of the best characters Pixar have designed. I’ll qualify that with the fact that I love dogs. 
    I completely disagree on all counts! But I respect your opinion ...
  • Mary Poppins
    The Exorcist 
    Goodfellas
    Terminator 2
    Silence of the Lambs
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    axisus said:
    boogieman said:
    axisus said:
    boogieman said:
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:

I completely disagree on all counts! But I respect your opinion ...
    That’s fair enough, you’re entitled to your opinion too. We’ll agree to disagree. 
  • Philly_Q said:

Resurrections was, in my opinion awful. I liked Reloaded and Revolutions. The best part of Resurrection was the first third where he's just wandering around with some dissociative disorder, trying to figure out his place in a world he doesn't believe exists. I found that really interesting, but after that the CGI was awful, the plot was nonsensical and it just ell apart for me.

Movie I've seen the most, maybe Clerks, or Toy Story? Matrix 1, Pulp Fiction, Empire Strikes Back are somewhere in there.
  • Spinal Tap (most days for about 18 months in my late teens).
    Convoy (when I was a kid).
    Smokey and the Bandit II (also when I was a kid)
    Almost Famous (watched it every day when I had chicken pox - about 18 times in total).
    Pixar Cars (the lad was obsessed with it)
    Gone in 60 seconds (the awful Nick Cage version).
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Glad to see toy story a lot here, that would be my second most watched I reckon. The second one is great as well - "you can't rush art!". 
  • DonnyMac said:
    Mary Poppins
    The Exorcist 
    Goodfellas
    Terminator 2
    Silence of the Lambs
    Definitely an odd one out in that little selection.
  • Not sure if Ghostbusters is the best film, but it's a contender. ZUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLL! 
  • It'll be a Star Wars film. Probably TESB. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Glad to see toy story a lot here, that would be my second most watched I reckon. The second one is great as well - "you can't rush art!". 
    The second one is *almost* better than the first. It contains both the most heartbreaking scene in any film - when Jessie the Cowgirl thinks she's being taken out to be played with again, then realises the truth - and the funniest... which the entire adult audience in the cinema collapsed laughing at, but the kids didn't get and looked baffled as to why their parents were crying with laughter - "No, Buzz... " ;)

I identify with the Toy Repairer, by the way :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson