Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Can you categorically state which film you have watched most? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Can you categorically state which film you have watched most?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    SpoonMan said:
    The Wall must be up there for me too.
    Interesting choice.  I wouldn't have expected to see that in this thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_Q said:
    SpoonMan said:
    The Wall must be up there for me too.
    Interesting choice.  I wouldn't have expected to see that in this thread.

Me and my mates used to put it on on a Friday night with a smoke or a trip pretty often for a while. 
    Probably more of a background type thing than focusing on it the whole way I suppose but we pretty much all knew it off by heart. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    edited September 2023
    Why aren't you all watching Ghostbusters more when it's obviously the best film? 
    Cos we're watching The Big Lebowski instead
    Or Point Break. Maybe Heat. 

But definitely not Matrix Ressurections. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    edited September 2023
    Greatape said:
    Why aren't you all watching Ghostbusters more when it's obviously the best film? 

Second to The Matrix, I actually loved that film. I thought it was very cleverly done and didn't understand the hate it was getting at the time. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Star Wars

Highlander

Time Bandits
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    beed84 said:
    Greatape said:

Second to The Matrix, I actually loved that film. I thought it was very cleverly done and didn't understand the hate it was getting at the time. 

Agreed for the most part. It was fun and mostly clever, with all the classic Wachowski waxing on about fate and choice. I enjoyed the equalisation of importance to Trinity, not just Neo. 

There wasn’t that big “bang” or amazing moment like there was in the first three movies, or even the Animatrix follow ons either. No new amazing tech leap like bullet time was. No epic battle like in Revolution. The ending feels a little flat. 

Still worth it though! I’ll watch it again soon. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Bizarrely, the ones I watch the most have themes related to time...  Edge of Tomorrow, Groundhog Day, Back to the Future, The Time Machine.

Others I keep rewatching include The Shawshank Redemption (my all-time favourite), Oblivion, A Few Good Men, (most things with Tom Cruise in), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Dirty Wives of Essex, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Stop my ass is on fire, Itty-Bitty Gang-bang, Nobody's reading this far, Into my list, Are you..
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    TimmyO said:

Time Bandits
    Excellent 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Emp_Fab said:
    Bizarrely, the ones I watch the most have themes related to time...  Edge of Tomorrow, Groundhog Day, Back to the Future, The Time Machine.

Do you really watch them the most, or does it just feel like you do...?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Just remembered another that I don’t think has been mentioned yet - Top Gun. Pure OTT cheese from beginning to end. Superb.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    HAL9000 said:
    Just remembered another that I don’t think has been mentioned yet - Top Gun. Pure OTT cheese from beginning to end. Superb.
    That's one I've never seen.  But I have seen Top Gun: Maverick, and I was able to figure out what happened previously...
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

Thanks to a daughter who insisted on sitting with me while she watched it over and over again, it would have to be The Lion King*

*on VHS, so I had to wind it back over and over again too.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • HAL9000 said:

How many times can you watch it though?

I watched it when it came out. Sisters video night choice.
    I think she persuaded us to watch days of thunder too. 
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2002
    Jaws
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2493
    edited September 2023
    Getting a VCR in the early 80s meant that there were a few films we managed to tape of the telly that I saw over and over again. So many times I've lost count, so I couldn't tell you which one I saw most. The best Marx Brothers movies. Luis Buñuel films. Yellow Submarine. For some reason I've seen The Draughtsman's Contract so many times I can quote a lot of the dialogue. An honourable mention would be What's Up Doc? And an obscurity would be Tomorrow I'll Be Scalding Myself With Tea, a time travel comedy with nazis in made in soviet Czechoslovakia. 
  • Why is "categorically" important?
    Don't know but people seem to have watched lots of films the most!  ;)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Emp_Fab said:

Others I keep rewatching include The Shawshank Redemption (my all-time favourite), Oblivion, A Few Good Men, (most things with Tom Cruise in), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Dirty Wives of Essex, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Stop my ass is on fire, Itty-Bitty Gang-bang, Nobody's reading this far, Into my list, Are you..
    OMG I forgot about Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - have watched that lots. 

“Don’t take the cork off the fork Ruprecht”
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    pt22 said:
    beed84 said:
    Greatape said:

Agreed for the most part. It was fun and mostly clever, with all the classic Wachowski waxing on about fate and choice. I enjoyed the equalisation of importance to Trinity, not just Neo. 

There wasn’t that big “bang” or amazing moment like there was in the first three movies, or even the Animatrix follow ons either. No new amazing tech leap like bullet time was. No epic battle like in Revolution. The ending feels a little flat. 

I know what you mean. It wasn't as arresting as the first and didn't quite have the epic battles like the others, though there were some. But perhaps that wasn't what it was about. For me it all hinged on the notion that despite all the disasters and things that try to impede our lives, love – if we truly believe in it – brings us out of our doldrums and conquers all.

I think you can watch it from a Matrix perspective or a sci-fi love story with the Matrix as a very imposing backdrop. Or both. Either way I loved it and like you will be watching it again soon.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    I’ve seen Alien the most. Even though I’ve had VHS, DVD and BluRay versions over the years I still watch it if it comes on live tv, daft I know. That’s probably followed by some of the Will Hay films, Ask a Policeman, Where’s That Fire? Oh Mr Porter etc.

Like others I’ve put Disney films on dozens of times for my kids when they were little, things like Hercules, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Toy Story, but I doubt I’ve actually watched them properly more than once or twice. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    boogieman said:

Like others I’ve put Disney films on dozens of times for my kids when they were little, things like Hercules, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Toy Story, but I doubt I’ve actually watched them properly more than once or twice. 
    Now you mention it, I may have watched Toy Story more times than Once Upon A Time In The West… maybe Toy Story 2 as well. They’re both actually great films.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I'd forgotten, I've watched Diner De Cons a few times and it still makes me laugh.
    I've seen Deadpool more than once. The only superhero type film I've enjoyed.
  • Wrath of Khan or Battle of Britain - it's one of those.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:
    Now you mention it, I may have watched Toy Story more times than Once Upon A Time In The West… maybe Toy Story 2 as well. They’re both actually great films.
    I don't have kids but I have seen a number of the Disney/Pixar and DreamWorks animated films quite a few times - they're always on during the daytime at Christmas and it's quite easy to just sit and watch.  They're all well made, nice to look at, easy to follow... and under 90 minutes.

Which brings me back to the Carry On films :) - they're on all day every day on ITV3 over Christmas.
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    I have three,  Once upon a time in America. Brilliant film, I could watch it over and over again.
    Shindlers list, Oskar Shindler was such a good man to the Jewish people.
    Goodfellas, I am sure this film would appear on a lot of people's most watched list.
    Plus one more The dirty dozen. I have lost count of how many times I have watched this film.
  • Ghostbusters.

I think it's one line away from being a perfect movie. Must have seen it at least 50 times. 
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 387
    The Warriors
    Escape from NY 
    Dredd 
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    Anal Babes 5
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:

Pixar really nailed the balance between entertaining children and have a deeper layer for the parents to enjoy too. I really like Toy Story too, but for me Up is their best film. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    boogieman said:
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:

Pixar really nailed the balance between entertaining children and have a deeper layer for the parents to enjoy too. I really like Toy Story too, but for me Up is their best film. 
    Up could have been their best, but I say they blew it. The sad start - brilliant. the journey with the house - superb. But then we get .... evil bad guy and loads of talking dogs!?!? It went into garbage writing territory. They should have had the balls to make a great 'gentle' film, with no evil enemy, no dumb talking dogs, just a man on a journey of discovery.  
  • beed84 said:
    pt22 said:
    beed84 said:
    Greatape said:

I know what you mean. It wasn't as arresting as the first and didn't quite have the epic battles like the others, though there were some. But perhaps that wasn't what it was about. For me it all hinged on the notion that despite all the disasters and things that try to impede our lives, love – if we truly believe in it – brings us out of our doldrums and conquers all.

I think you can watch it from a Matrix perspective or a sci-fi love story with the Matrix as a very imposing backdrop. Or both. Either way I loved it and like you will be watching it again soon.
    May I also join the "Matrix Resurrections was just fine" bandwagon?

I thought it was actually pretty clever, making fun of the fact it was only being made because Warner Bros bullied Lana Wachowski into it as part of the plot, then essentially going "well if we are going to do this, I'll fix the only thing really wrong with the originals, the sad ending..."

I still maintain Reloaded and Resurrections are great movies I'll happily re-watch. 

Not without flaws by any stretch but early victims of the "Internet Criticism" age where people pile in to criticise things for fun without any positivity and everyone is apparently an expert in screen writing.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...