Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How to improve this forum? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How to improve this forum?

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• See, this is why we developers generally ignore user feedback. Y'all have been complaining for years about the site search, so I spend my weekend fixing it and in the 6-7 hours since it went live, six people have used it (two of whom were testing it for me, and one was me). That's even less than would normally be using it on a Sunday.

D
    I only found out it was fixed from this post 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyO said:
    See, this is why we developers generally ignore user feedback.

Umm, no that’s not a thing. 
    Observe le smiley at the end of the post ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Le smiley?  Please don't tell me my favourite forum (ok, only forum) is run by a Frenchman!
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Le smiley?  Please don't tell me my favourite forum (ok, only forum) is run by a Frenchman!
    I'm still waiting for the conclusion of your assertion that nothing ever changes with the forum code ;)
    <space for hire>
  • See, this is why we developers generally ignore user feedback. Y'all have been complaining for years about the site search, so I spend my weekend fixing it and in the 6-7 hours since it went live, six people have used it (two of whom were testing it for me, and one was me). That's even less than would normally be using it on a Sunday.

D
    Users really are the lowest form of life...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Hang on a sec... @digitalscream do you log all the searches? 

If I search for "hairy testicle fart" does it stand out?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Hang on a sec... @digitalscream do you log all the searches? 

If I search for "hairy testicle fart" does it stand out?
    Well, it does now.

In terms of the technical details, all searches are GET requests, which means that they - and the parameters that go with the search - are all present in the web server logs. The forum also logs IP addresses against users, so it's pretty trivial to work out who's doing what.

It's just not something I particularly want to put effort into. I may occasionally have a look in there to see what people are looking for, though, to see if there are any failed indexes and the like.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    TTony said:
    See, this is why we developers generally ignore user feedback. 
    Surely the first sentence on the first page of the developer handbook is "Never, ever, ask users what they want" ???
    The Brexit thread is that way >>>

:D
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Emp_Fab said:
    No way am I ever meeting any of you.  You'll all fall in love with me and I don't want the responsibility of being a cult leader - again.
    That's not how it's spelt.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    I don't mind being Chief Cult if all you little cults follow me.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I propose that for the sake of harmonious (ahem) forum relationships the word 'white' should henceforth be replaced with something less contentious.  I'd suggest 'cream' as it's close to 'white' without the connotations.

Ah... hang on... it's a band name... and it's associated with Eric Clapton... shit... errrm... let me think...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Ecru?

Taupe? 

Light mushroom? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."