Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How to improve this forum? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How to improve this forum?

What's Hot

Comments

• BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    edited September 2023
    DLM said:
    Brio said:
    I liked Drew. Bought  couple of albums. The one that annoyed me was the Ibanez JEM fanatic who burnt me in effigy on YouTube.

Dave Malam, posting as MALAM, later WithoutAMouth and I believe still here as @Rave

For my sins, I've had to deal with a lot of modern art professionally and very little of it has been as inspired as that one video.

Haven't seen it for years. Got a link?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    dazzajl said:
    Has anyone said follow the rules and be kind? 

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly, and always be kind"
    Can’t argue with The Doctor. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    I think @digitalscream should clarify here, before hopes are unfairly raised, that nothing is going to come of the suggestions or requests in this thread.  The forum is fixed.  It will always be like this.  None of the bugs will go.  The only 'upgrade' route is a completely new forum package, probably expensive and requiring more work than anyone has time to implement and migrate data to.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but that's the way it is.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think @digitalscream should clarify here, before hopes are unfairly raised, that nothing is going to come of the suggestions or requests in this thread.  The forum is fixed.  It will always be like this.  None of the bugs will go.  The only 'upgrade' route is a completely new forum package, probably expensive and requiring more work than anyone has time to implement and migrate data to.

Ive no issue with navigating the forum. Some good suggestions for threads on here though.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    dazzajl said:
    No platform for hippies! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Sporky said:
    dazzajl said:
    No platform for hippies! 
    Hey man, we don’t follow the rules 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think @digitalscream should clarify here, before hopes are unfairly raised, that nothing is going to come of the suggestions or requests in this thread.  The forum is fixed.  It will always be like this.  
    Apart from @Sporky 's suggestion - this *is* in the next release.

Sporky said:
    I'd like a button that o ly I have that makes a spring-loaded boxing glove come out of someone else's monitor and biff them on the nose.

Not hard enough to damage or hurt, just a squeaky "honk!" and a jump-scare. 

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think @digitalscream should clarify here, before hopes are unfairly raised, that nothing is going to come of the suggestions or requests in this thread.  The forum is fixed.  It will always be like this.  
    Apart from @Sporky 's suggestion - this *is* in the next release.

Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Emp_Fab said:

There is a lot to be said for keeping it as it is. God forbid @digitalscream gets an offer from Musk.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:
    dazzajl said:
    No platform for hippies! 
    Platforms were more of a Glam thing, if I remember correctly...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Don't diss the dangly bollocks....  it's a public service announcement...  As one of the forum elder elders, I'm just warning you youngsters what is about to befall you....

Swing low....   Sweet chariot.....

By 'youngster' are you referring to any member under 60?

To be fair, I consider anybody older than 50* to be an old fart.

* this may change as I rack up the birthdays
    tbh my wife is older than me despite being born 6 months earlier :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Emp_Fab said:

If you think this software is bad, go and have a look at the forum on ChiswickW4.com
    Hey...  I'm not complaining.  I'm just trying to temper the expectations of folks making suggestions.
    tbh my wife is older than me despite being born 6 months earlier :D
    Classic time-machine accident? 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    This video describes the para social relationships we have on the forum. My conclusion is that I don’t interact with any of you, even if we’ve met. Instead I interact with the avatar I’ve created for you in my own mind. If true then one way to improve the forum is to take the opportunities to meet in person. 

https://youtu.be/NCWuQIjNHak?si=AdzBTNWWDlRuxyKV
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited September 2023
    Emp_Fab said:

Oh, ye of little faith, @Emp_Fab.

(hint: try a search, and then click "More Options")
    <space for hire>
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Roland said:
    This video describes the para social relationships we have on the forum. My conclusion is that I don’t interact with any of you, even if we’ve met. Instead I interact with the avatar I’ve created for you in my own mind. If true then one way to improve the forum is to take the opportunities to meet in person. 

I view you all as Tamagotchi and hope to keep you alive and healthy and happy. Of course when I go on holiday all bets are off.
    Emp_Fab said:

Oh, ye of little faith, @Emp_Fab.

(hint: try a search, and then click "More Options")
    It comes out a but funny on my tablet (DuckDuckHo, Android something).

• @Sporky - I was literally just typing instructions in the announcement thread - you might need to clear your cache to make it look right.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sorry chief! 
  • Sporky said:
    Sorry chief! 
    Did clearing the cache work?
    <space for hire>
    It did. If only DDG could do that without listing all the tabs! 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Roland said:

No thanks.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    No way am I ever meeting any of you.  You'll all fall in love with me and I don't want the responsibility of being a cult leader - again.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited September 2023
    See, this is why we developers generally ignore user feedback. Y'all have been complaining for years about the site search, so I spend my weekend fixing it and in the 6-7 hours since it went live, six people have used it (two of whom were testing it for me, and one was me). That's even less than would normally be using it on a Sunday.

D
    <space for hire>
    Oooh. Can you see what people have searched for?
  • Sporky said:
    Oooh. Can you see what people have searched for?
    Yes, but don't worry...I won't tell anyone... ;)
    <space for hire>
    I'm going to see if I can make you spit out a drink. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    See, this is why we developers generally ignore user feedback. 
    Surely the first sentence on the first page of the developer handbook is "Never, ever, ask users what they want" ???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    See, this is why we developers generally ignore user feedback.

Umm, no that’s not a thing. 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score