Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How to improve this forum? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How to improve this forum?

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I need a filter that only shows threads I'm interested in - by the power of magic, I don't want to have to faff around programming algorithms

I'd like a flashy thing to flash when I type something that is going to annoy lots of people as my personal filter has never worked

I'd like an auto post that posts a comment directly after mine. I seem to 'kill' a lot of threads, my post being the last ever. This will make me feel less bad about myself

Much of my posting is at work so I'd like a feature that flips to a spreadsheet when I touch a key on the number pad

I'd like an area where I can better manage my sock accounts

I'd like to be able to LOL my own funny stuff

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    There's loads of good things that could be done but I think a effective search function would be highest on my list (not that the admin's have asked for a list!!) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    FWIW I wouldn't mind helping with a bit of list-setup-admin for tagging but you'd def need to include Other with a free text box either way. And you'd probably get loads of people still do it wrong (Gibson ticked for Epis and Fender for Squiers at the very least..) which adds to the classifieds admin burden. 
    It’s hard enough to get some people to provide price, picture, and description. Tags would be a nightmare. I’ve come to the conclusion that lack of such information helps potential buyers identify sellers who might be less than honest, or difficult to deal with.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:
    I need a filter that only shows threads I'm interested in - by the power of magic, I don't want to have to faff around programming algorithms

I'd like a flashy thing to flash when I type something that is going to annoy lots of people as my personal filter has never worked

I'd like an auto post that posts a comment directly after mine. I seem to 'kill' a lot of threads, my post being the last ever. This will make me feel less bad about myself

Much of my posting is at work so I'd like a feature that flips to a spreadsheet when I touch a key on the number pad

I'd like an area where I can better manage my sock accounts

I'd like to be able to LOL my own funny stuff

This is depressingly like a normal client brief.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I'd like a button that o ly I have that makes a spring-loaded boxing glove come out of someone else's monitor and biff them on the nose.

Not hard enough to damage or hurt, just a squeaky "honk!" and a jump-scare. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Roland said:
    FWIW I wouldn't mind helping with a bit of list-setup-admin for tagging but you'd def need to include Other with a free text box either way. And you'd probably get loads of people still do it wrong (Gibson ticked for Epis and Fender for Squiers at the very least..) which adds to the classifieds admin burden. 
    It’s hard enough to get some people to provide price, picture, and description. Tags would be a nightmare. I’ve come to the conclusion that lack of such information helps potential buyers identify sellers who might be less than honest, or difficult to deal with.
    Yeah I'm inclined to agree. It's a constant amazement how many folks will just write "Gibson R9, nice flame top, £5k" and wonder why they immediately get a deluge of "Pics? Trades? Age? Case & candy? Weight? etc etc" 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Timcito said:
    How about weaponizing posts by adding a 'like' capability?

That'd really up the animosity and partisanship by a few notches!   ;)
    I thought that was what lols were for!! ;) 

Though tbh if you really want animosity we could bring back Facepalms - hours of fun...!! 
    ...or re-admit Drew...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Sporky said:
    I'd like a button that o ly I have that makes a spring-loaded boxing glove come out of someone else's monitor and biff them on the nose.

I want the same as this but with spikes which have been dipped in slow but painful poison.
    munckee said:
    Sporky said:

I want the same as this but with spikes which have been dipped in slow but painful poison.
    But I'd still have the button? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Sporky said:
    munckee said:
    Sporky said:

But I'd still have the button? 
    Nope, you're on the list : )
    Fortunately I've been developing immunity to exactly that poison over the last several years.

• Can we install a 'twat/dickhead' radar ?
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 559
    A lovely picture of an otter at random intervals to make everything all rainbows and loveliness.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited September 2023
    Can we install a 'twat/dickhead' radar ?
    We had the functionality to crowdsource that. Unfortunately, the way it was used said more about the crowd than it did the recipients
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    All avatars should be randomised every time someone posts. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Offset said:
    Timcito said:
    How about weaponizing posts by adding a 'like' capability?

That'd really up the animosity and partisanship by a few notches!   ;)
    I thought that was what lols were for!! ;) 

Though tbh if you really want animosity we could bring back Facepalms - hours of fun...!! 
    ...or re-admit Drew...
    Can we have a yellow card button? 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    I too find the search function unusable, and uploading images is painful for me at least using Flickr.

That said…I’m well aware of the frustrations of having a website let alone a forum like this, …and it’s free….so…can’t complain.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 824
    edited September 2023
    A more effective ignore function would make for a more pleasant experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    scrumhalf said:
    Can we have a yellow card button? 
    Aha. I detect a yellow card troll.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Sporky said:
    Fortunately I've been developing immunity to exactly that poison over the last several years.

Hmm ok then - the button flashes up a picture of a Lobster on your monitor? 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    spark240 said:
    I too find the search function unusable, and uploading images is painful for me at least using Flickr.

That said…I’m well aware of the frustrations of having a website let alone a forum like this, …and it’s free….so…can’t complain.

Google has the FB indexed - you can limit your Google searches to a specific website using the site: keyword like the following:

fender AND bassman site:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • randella said:
    spark240 said:

Google has the FB indexed - you can limit your Google searches to a specific website using the site: keyword like the following:

Yes, but there's functionality in the built-in search which doesn't exist in Google - for example ordering by date, restricting to specific categories or searching by user.

There's all sorts of useful stuff in there, it's just not obvious how to use it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Chat /shoutbox on front page.
    Full slipper section and mandatory slipper shots in all pics of items for sale.
    Ask Swill - Spoof Agony aunt thread where the advice is all silly and slightly insulting.
    A pub thread - where drunk people congregate and talk nonsense.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TimmyO said:
    Sporky said:

Hmm ok then - the button flashes up a picture of a Lobster on your monitor? 
    I was never actually scared of lobsters; that was a cunning feint. 

Superman's big mistake was letting the world know about kryptonite. 

I let people believe I was afraid of lobsters so that they wouldn't find out that my true phobia is delicious cake. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    randella said:
    spark240 said:

Yes, but there's functionality in the built-in search which doesn't exist in Google - for example ordering by date, restricting to specific categories or searching by user.

There's all sorts of useful stuff in there, it's just not obvious how to use it.
    Can the options button be made easier to press on iOS pls ?

"Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @TimmyO - I'll do my best. I'm going to try to have a brief spell of cosmetic fixes this weekend, between rugby matches.

I can't test on iOS (I refuse to have that trash in my house...), but I'll do what i can to tidy up :)
    <space for hire>
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

I can't test on iOS 
    But you just might be able to find someone who could ...

(though then you'd get into "which version" of iOS )
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2103
    Removing the option to post/comment on folks sales posts.

• MikeS said:
    Removing the option to post/comment on folks sales posts.
    I have said this multiple times as a serious suggestion. Transactions by PM and then the OP can update their ad to answer FAQs and when sold. No bumping of posts but I think that's probably fine. Given the number of skirmishes arising from Classifieds if it was possible it would save the modmins a lot of hassle as well. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Remove all pics and brand descriptions from all for sale ads so that every purchase is an exciting mystery shop... 

"Guitar,  electric,  pretty colour,  reasonable condition £xxxx " 

That should save me vast sums of money. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter