Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How to improve this forum? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How to improve this forum?

What's Hot

Comments

• Octavio said:
    A bespoke discussions feed based on categories I've favourited. Sick of seeing topics about dangly bollocks, someone who posts that their hamster snowy passed away, or just fighting in general. Discussions is good for speed without the need to dive in and out of categories on the phone. Or keep discussions as is, but create a new feed.
    You can already do that, but the functionality's fairly well hidden. Go to the home page, hover over every category you don't want to see, click the cog and then "Hide".

Then, where it says "Category Filter" on the left, click "followed categories" (if it's not a link, then you already have it selected). Your Recent Discussions view will now only show threads from the categories you haven't hidden. To go back to the full view, just click "all categories" in the filter.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 114
    Octavio said:
    A bespoke discussions feed based on categories I've favourited. Sick of seeing topics about dangly bollocks, someone who posts that their hamster snowy passed away, or just fighting in general. Discussions is good for speed without the need to dive in and out of categories on the phone. Or keep discussions as is, but create a new feed.
    You can already do that, but the functionality's fairly well hidden. Go to the home page, hover over every category you don't want to see, click the cog and then "Hide".

Then, where it says "Category Filter" on the left, click "followed categories" (if it's not a link, then you already have it selected). Your Recent Discussions view will now only show threads from the categories you haven't hidden. To go back to the full view, just click "all categories" in the filter.
    I thought this only affected the visible categories on the home page, not discussions. This is a serious game changer! Thanks for the heads up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bin off Basil Brush and bring back Ken Dodd
    We can't do that! Basil's the man (well, the fox)!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    Search on this forum is a dark ages relic and truly terrible. Google using boolean logic finds me stuff I'm looking for,
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Don't diss the dangly bollocks....  it's a public service announcement...  As one of the forum elder elders, I'm just warning you youngsters what is about to befall you....

Swing low....   Sweet chariot.....
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If we're bringing people back can we get back someone truly mental like steedy or clint boxcutters? 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    How about sending out boxes of biscuits to people for every post they make, and the more their post contributes to the forum, say like somebody posts a very good how to guide for adjusting your truss rod or setting your intonation, they get sent not just a box of biscuits, but a few boxes of premium biscuits, the more valuable their post is to the forum the more biscuits and expensive ones at that, they get sent?

Though starting 200+ page threads about cars you're never going to buy, and threads and posts like that, get you glitter and stink bombed.

(I may have put some more thought into this since my suggestion that I be recognised as and given either God or Demi-God status seemed to be a non starter)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    edited September 2023
    What about a mass suicide pact and just before we all take the tablets/pull the pins out @digitalscream deletes the whole forum so no one ever knows why a couple of thousand middle age guitarists all checked out at exactly the same time. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    munckee said:
    What about a mass suicide pact and just before we all take the tablets/pull the pins out @digitalscream deletes the whole forum so no one ever knows why a couple of thousand middle age guitarists all checked out at exactly the same time. 
    Wisdom awarded. How's next Friday for everyone?

I'll totally join in, honest. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Location Map
    The idea is that anybody who wants to participate can pin their location on a map (not postcode for security reasons ) but I assume most people would be able to site themselves within a few miles of their home.
    The map shows both who and where they approximately are .
    The purpose is that you can see ,at a glance,which other members are within 30/40 mile radius of your own location without giving away your actual address .
    This will promote local face to face contact ,meeting for jams,trades, borrows and loans, seeing each other's gigs , help with issues or collection delivery of trades and general items such as meeting in a local pub to talk guitars and guitar related nonsense.
    Sometimes you stumble across a member who is 3 miles up the road by chance but it would be nice to have a directory of 'WHO'S LOCAL ?'
    It's not compulsory but I think it would be fun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 559
    Tannin said:
    Jetsam1 said:
    A lovely picture of an otter at random intervals to make everything all rainbows and loveliness.
    Ar we talking topless here? NSFW? 

Well, if you have the razor and the Otter shearing skills I am sure we could find a bikini that would protect your blushes.

Umm................ Ollie the Otter coming out to play..................
  • Dominic said:
    Location Map
    The idea is that anybody who wants to participate can pin their location on a map (not postcode for security reasons ) but I assume most people would be able to site themselves within a few miles of their home.
    The purpose is that you can see ,at a glance,which other members are within 30/40 mile radius of your own location without giving away your actual address .
    This will promote local face to face contact ,meeting for jams,trades, borrows and loans, seeing each other's gigs , help with issues or collection delivery of trades and general items such as meeting in a local pub to talk guitars and guitar related nonsense.
    Sometimes you stumble across a member who is 3 miles up the road by chance but it would be nice to have a directory of 'WHO'S LOCAL ?'
    That would actually be quite good! Though I don't think there's anyone else near me these days :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • munckee said:

It's a fairly strong indication of how the world is going that I'm the third person to click wis on that already...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Dominic said:
    Location Map

Nice idea - Simply what county we are all in would be reasonably indicative of "local".
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Octavio said:
     someone who posts that their hamster snowy passed away
    I think I speak for the entire forum when I say that Snowy was good people, and will be greatly missed.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Maybe we could get the ignore function to include any quoted posts too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    edited September 2023
    munckee said:

In his summing up The Coroner said :

"We'll never know for sure why these men took their own lives but the most likely explanation is that they all came to the simultaneous conclusion that pedals are all the same. After that, there was nothing left to live for."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2493
    TimmyO said:
    DLM said:
    swiller said:
    Ask Swill - Spoof Agony aunt thread where the advice is all silly and slightly insulting.
    We need to reboot Ask @Bowks !

It's a shame post counts aren't more transparent here because that totally killed the naked run per thousand posts. :( (Also a @Bowks invention)
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2493
    Brio said:
    I liked Drew. Bought  couple of albums. The one that annoyed me was the Ibanez JEM fanatic who burnt me in effigy on YouTube.

Dave Malam, posting as MALAM, later WithoutAMouth and I believe still here as @Rave

For my sins, I've had to deal with a lot of modern art professionally and very little of it has been as inspired as that one video.

• Emp_Fab said:
    Don't diss the dangly bollocks....  it's a public service announcement...  As one of the forum elder elders, I'm just warning you youngsters what is about to befall you....

By 'youngster' are you referring to any member under 60?

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Emp_Fab said:

To be fair, I consider anybody older than 50* to be an old fart.

* this may change as I rack up the birthdays
    <space for hire>
  • Every year have an entertaining cull with a chance of a prize.

https://youtu.be/ntz0_besT04?si=FIicxweIH3rlvAod

• SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Emp_Fab said:

To be fair, I consider anybody older than 50* to be an old fart.

* this may change as I rack up the birthdays

Yeah, you'll find your scale recalibrates soon enough, callow youth.

Oh, and, yeah, fuck off :lol: 
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    What would improve the Forum for me would be to have a facility to post pics from gallery or photos just like What App. I just can't get my head round the method used right now.
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    Just as long as it's not barbecued bluecat
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited September 2023
    bluecat said:
    What would improve the Forum for me would be to have a facility to post pics from gallery or photos just like What App. I just can't get my head round the method used right now.
    There is - subscriptions
    <space for hire>
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    GAS counsellors.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Counsellers who give a shit? Hard to find here i think.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Has anyone said follow the rules and be kind? 
  • dazzajl said:
    Has anyone said follow the rules and be kind? 

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly, and always be kind"