Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). A dull argument about "feel" - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

A dull argument about "feel"

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
edited August 2023 in FX tFB Trader

I watched this last night as background while I was doing something else.
I haven't watched a guitar video or bought a pedal in years, but I like Rabea's playing so I thought it might be worth a look.

One thing of note is that SPOILER  The Boss BD-2W comes out on top despite being old, non boutique and not especially pricey and that Danish Pete did a similar video a while back and I believe also picked the BD-2W 

I have a BD-2W and it's a great pedal that beaten lots of much more expensive pedals to get onto my board. 

That wasn't the main take away which was (as said by Lee and Rabea during the video) that basically all of the pedals from £20 to £400 sounded great, and not especially different from each other and that what made them sound awesome was the fact that they were being played by Rabea even though the guitar was fairly mid priced.

I remember doing so many pointless shootouts between pedals to eke out the last 0.01% of tone which would have been much better spent practicing, or writing songs.

I now have an SD-1, BD-2 and DS-2 on my board and have never been happier not because Boss are better than other pedals, but because I just enjoy playing and don't waste my time on things that don't really matter.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• CraigGTCraigGT Frets: 3
    Yes I watched that too, surely they all sounded pretty much the same because all they're doing is boosting the signal and causing the amp to overdrive. It's the sound of the amp that changes and the pedals just throw a bit of eq into the equation.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

I remember doing so many pointless shootouts between pedals to eke out the last 0.01% of tone which would have been much better spent practicing, or writing songs.

As Rabea commented at the beginning "what mood am I in today".

It's just preference (there is no best) and your preference or assessment of that 0.01% could change day to day depending on lots of things - including your mood.  

But at least you kept a small bit of the pedal market ticking over whilst you were looking for it!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    The other thing a pedal can change is how it feels to play something. It might sound exactly the same as half a dozen other pedals, but the particular compression and sag and whatnot from a particular pedal (or lack of those things) can make it feel like your guitar rig is working with you or against you- either like it's on your side or like it's fighting you. You'll never get that from a YouTube video.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I had it on. Probably only two pedals that actually jumped out which were the Marshall and the Tone City but really only because they don't really work with everything at 12 o'clock. 
    Earlier I'd had a demo for the new Origin FX overdrive on and convinced myself it was the best thing since Velcro fastened shoes but y'know it's the player, the signal chain, the production...
    I know I've told this before but I was heavily put off the Blues Driver because I knew someone who had one and it sounded utter arse. Few years later there was a dep guitarist in the band I was in and he had one and I thought uh oh and yet it sounded bloody marvelous. Player, signal chain,etc.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I had it on. Probably only two pedals that actually jumped out which were the Marshall and the Tone City but really only because they don't really work with everything at 12 o'clock. 
    Earlier I'd had a demo for the new Origin FX overdrive on and convinced myself it was the best thing since Velcro fastened shoes but y'know it's the player, the signal chain, the production...
    I know I've told this before but I was heavily put off the Blues Driver because I knew someone who had one and it sounded utter arse. Few years later there was a dep guitarist in the band I was in and he had one and I thought uh oh and yet it sounded bloody marvelous. Player, signal chain,etc.

The Blues Driver would sell much more if the gain maxed out at 12 o'clock as it just starts to sound worse after that point.

It also can sound quite bad into solid state amps or things that can bring out it's natural harshness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    The other thing a pedal can change is how it feels to play something. It might sound exactly the same as half a dozen other pedals, but the particular compression and sag and whatnot from a particular pedal (or lack of those things) can make it feel like your guitar rig is working with you or against you- either like it's on your side or like it's fighting you. You'll never get that from a YouTube video.

Is "compression and sag and whatnot" not part of the sound? 

Never really got this "feel" thing when it comes to these things.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852

Not really. It's a feel thing - how a pedal responds to your pick attack often isn't something you can hear in a mix, or in a youtube, or even in the room sitting next to the guy playing the guitar. 

But you can definitely feel it when you're playing yourself, assuming you're used to playing with different pedals. It can also change with time, in terms of what you're trying to achieve, and as your own ears and playing style develop. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited August 2023
    With the few pedals that Andy Timmons has on his board, it was always a surprise to see the modest Boss Blues Driver amongst his signature pedals and more expensive uits (he used it for low gain). However, it must've impressed him so much because Keeley modified it more to his needs and now have it in their range as the Keeley Super AT Mod.

Boss are solid pedals. There's a video of Dann Huff in the studio with racks of gear but he mentions that his small board of Boss pedals are what he uses on a lot of sessions or part of his layering of parts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Kebabkid said:
    With the few pedals that Andy Timmons has on his board, it was always a surprise to see the modest Boss Blues Driver amongst his signature pedals and more expensive uits (he used it for low gain). However, it must've impressed him so much because Keeley modified it more to his needs and now have it in their range as the Keeley Super AT Mod.

Boss are solid pedals. There's a video of Dann Huff in the studio with racks of gear but he mentions that his small board of Boss pedals are what he uses on a lot of sessions or part of his layering of parts

The Andy Timmons Blues Driver thing is interesting. He runs it with medium gain and then backs right off the volume on the guitar to use it as his clean sound. (Interestingly Khrungbin do the same with a DS-1)

I've never really got it to sound anything like he does, but I wonder if that's because he also uses quite a lot of compression. I remember getting one of my all time favorite sounds with a compressor into an OD-3 which is quite a similar circuit.
    edited August 2023

Not really. It's a feel thing - how a pedal responds to your pick attack often isn't something you can hear in a mix, or in a youtube, or even in the room sitting next to the guy playing the guitar. 

But you can definitely feel it when you're playing yourself, assuming you're used to playing with different pedals. It can also change with time, in terms of what you're trying to achieve, and as your own ears and playing style develop. 

Hmmm, not sure that makes sense. When I'm playing all I feel is the guitar. Only time I feel the pedal is if I bend down to adjust the settings or when I stomp on it. Everything else I hear.

Compression, in this sense, is a tool for manipulating sound. No?

What exactly is it you are feeling? Sound waves?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    I agree it’s a feel thing with amps, and pedals…

By ‘feel’, I would be describing how a pedal makes my playing change, evolve, sound etc.

I enjoyed watching the video, but you could see Rabea uncertainty…. As he was just working on one type of sound. 

But in this situation, as lot of pedals did ‘sound’ similar, but wouldn’t ‘feel’ similar, imho.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    Still doesn't really make any sense though ^. 

What's being described are differences in the sound.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1385
    I think they’d had felt/heard more of a difference into a cleaner amp. 

No criticism at all though, I love Bea and his playing but I don’t think the gained amp as a starting point was a good test bed. 
    How very rock and roll
    tFB Trader

No criticism at all though, I love Bea and his playing but I don’t think the gained amp as a starting point was a good test bed. 

For things like an SD-1 you need a breaking up amp as it's about what the pedal does to the amp. If it had been into a Fender Twin things like the SD-1 would have sounded like a bee in a tin and things like the Nobels ODR which are a bit more like an "Amp in a box" would have sounded better. 

The other thing to note is that with a band a lot of the honkier pedals like Klones and TS pedals would have but through rather than sounding weedy.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231

Hmmm, not sure that makes sense. When I'm playing all I feel is the guitar. Only time I feel the pedal is if I bend down to adjust the settings or when I stomp on it. Everything else I hear.

Feel comes mostly down to how the saturation shapes your transients imo. Obviously you get tactile feedback and aural feedback when you play and there is a relationship between the two. Anything that alters that relationship will change the way the guitar feels
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1790
    I’ve soooo given up on this overdrive quest. Maybe I’m just happy with my amp and not wanting to change anything now. I’m better off in the pocket since tbh lol  
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    edited August 2023
    roberty said:

Feel comes mostly down to how the saturation shapes your transients imo. Obviously you get tactile feedback and aural feedback when you play and there is a relationship between the two. Anything that alters that relationship will change the way the guitar feels.

OK   

No, transients, saturation, it's all describing the sound being produced. 

Guess it's just me though.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    Still doesn't really make any sense though ^. 

What's being described are differences in the sound.

That's certainly not explicitly stated in the original video. I don't think it's been said in any of the comments either. It's all about what's "best", which can mean just about anything you like, and certainly doesn't exclude the feel thing you don't understand.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1385

For things like an SD-1 you need a breaking up amp as it's about what the pedal does to the amp. If it had been into a Fender Twin things like the SD-1 would have sounded like a bee in a tin and things like the Nobels ODR which are a bit more like an "Amp in a box" would have sounded better. 

The other thing to note is that with a band a lot of the honkier pedals like Klones and TS pedals would have but through rather than sounding weedy.
    Respectfully disagree on the subject of an SD-1 into a clean amp. I actually bloody love that sound, each to their own though. 

Regardless of taste, I still think the differences would have been most noticeable into a cleaner amp. 
    How very rock and roll
    Yup, it's this mysterious "feel thing".
    tFB Trader
    Yup, it's this mysterious "feel thing".

I think what gets described as "feel" might be something else that doesn't come across to the listener. 

There is a bit in that video where Rabea says "I don't like how this sounds on the neck pickup" and plays a succession of similar sounding notes.

I've been in that position with this sort of thing and when something doesn't respond how you expect to pick dynamics you can be saying "You hear that?" and the listener is like "what, no?" 

Whereas you know you just played a note really gently and really popped another and it didn't come across they have no idea what your hand was doing. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    roberty said:

Feel comes mostly down to how the saturation shapes your transients imo. Obviously you get tactile feedback and aural feedback when you play and there is a relationship between the two. Anything that alters that relationship will change the way the guitar feels.

OK   

Obviously a guitar through a cranked mesa feels different to play than the same guitar through a spanky clean fender twin. Because there is a relationship between what you feel with your hands and what you hear coming out of the speaker. There is a gulf between those two extremes
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    This is why I can’t be assed with pedals.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I skipped thru it. Does no one else find these shootouts a bit redundant? I certainly wouldn’t use them to make a decision on what overdrive to buy from Anderton’s (or anywhere else) next. 
    edited August 2023
    roberty said:
    roberty said:

OK   

Obviously a guitar through a cranked mesa feels different to play than the same guitar through a spanky clean fender twin. Because there is a relationship between what you feel with your hands and what you hear coming out of the speaker. There is a gulf between those two extremes

They'd certainly sound different. 

So is it an emotional feeling rather than "of the sense of touch?"

I just think it would probably make things simpler if we used actual definable logical terms. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976

I suspect your question is disingenuous but I'll answer anyway : the 'feel' thing is the common (and pretty widely understood) way to express the way different things create different attack and volume responses, rather than tonal responses.

So yes these are things that are heard, not felt in a tactile way, obviously. I suspect you knew this, and knew that the OP knew it too. 

It gets referred to as 'feel' because for most of us, our brain seems to attribute it in part to what we are doing with our hands and that cognitive dissonance attaches the word 'feel' because our brain is sometimes crap at expressing sensation in language. 

Nobody here thinks that the soundwaves are caressing their skin differently and making it 'felt' like that. But you knew that, right. 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    I have pretty much gone through every overdrive known and come to the conclusion that it’s all a load of overblown horseplop….the Behringer £20 pedal proves my point…..

says the man that was mightily impressed by the Waza BD2. 
    TimmyO said:

I suspect your question is disingenuous but I'll answer anyway : the 'feel' thing is the common (and pretty widely understood) way to express the way different things create different attack and volume responses, rather than tonal responses.

So yes these are things that are heard, not felt in a tactile way, obviously. I suspect you knew this, and knew that the OP knew it too. 

It gets referred to as 'feel' because for most of us, our brain seems to attribute it in part to what we are doing with our hands and that cognitive dissonance attaches the word 'feel' because our brain is sometimes crap at expressing sensation in language. 

Nobody here thinks that the soundwaves are caressing their skin differently and making it 'felt' like that. But you knew that, right. 

Fair play. 

All I'm saying is if you're talking about "transients" it would probably make things a lot clearer to learners etc. to just use the word transients. 
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 202
    Bless his little fuzzy head but I don't understand why anyone would care what Rabea's favorite overdrive is. He's  decent guitarist that has found a niche in paid product demonstration, but his favorite overdrive? Way too much "influencer" nonsense going on here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 202
    I skipped thru it. Does no one else find these shootouts a bit redundant? I certainly wouldn’t use them to make a decision on what overdrive to buy from Anderton’s (or anywhere else) next. 

If it had resulted in Rabea choosing, as his favorite overdrive pedal, one that was NOT sold by Anderton's, then I'd pay more attention.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter