Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What's your weirdest guilty pleasure in music? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What's your weirdest guilty pleasure in music?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilty_pleasure

It's not about shame. It's about liking something you know isn't widely regarded as good. 

I'll add William Shatner. The Jonny Cash it isn't OK to like. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Emp_Fab said:
    This 'Guilty pleasure' nonsense about music is one of my pet hates.  If you believe that you should feel shame or guilt for your musical tastes, you're a giant asshat and should donate all of your gear to someone who appreciates music - whatever it is - for the pleasure it brings them, not for what other people might think of them.
    What if they like Johnny Rebel? Gary Glitter? Arghoslent?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Sporky said:

It's not about shame. It's about liking something you know isn't widely regarded as good. 

I'll add William Shatner. The Jonny Cash it isn't OK to like. 
    I sometimes get the impression it's seen as rather sacrilegious to say you don't like Johnny Cash.  I don't like him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    The Stylistics.

Cheesey ballads.

Russell Thompkin's falsetto is awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Philly_Q said:

I sometimes get the impression it's seen as rather sacrilegious to say you don't like Johnny Cash.  I don't like him.
    He was good in Columbo. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sporky said:

I missed an opportunity there, nothing to do with music... but I love Nicolas Cage films.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Philly_Q said:
    Sporky said:

I missed an opportunity there, nothing to do with music... but I love Nicolas Cage films.
    Yes! Definitely one of my fave actors from a 'fun' perspective. I particularly like Con Air, the National Treasure movies and Birdy.

Birdy is a great movie.
    edited July 2023
    axisus said:

Birdy is a great movie.
    A very, very good book too, as I remember it, although it's probably 40+ years since I read it.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 2999
    Its kind of difficult this one, Clif for instance way back in the day was a legend in British Rock and Roll , Cash went from country singer to doing covers of people like Marilyn Manson , he was and always will be 'the man in black' , I dont think I could listen to his early stuff but The Man Comes Around was an ablsolute stonker of a song . 

Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around (Dawn of The Dead moments) - YouTube
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    Djent
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    I am a huge fan of Donovan. On one level I know a lot of it is silly and dated, and the songs about shagging teenage girls are indefensible. But on another I just don't care, I think he's great. A Gift From A Flower To A Garden is an incredible record.
  • I have a liking for the Sugababes.