Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What's your weirdest guilty pleasure in music? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What's your weirdest guilty pleasure in music?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I don't think I have any guilty pleasures, but I still love almost everything from the Top 40 between 1976 and the early '80s, those were my "chart years".  I'm completely ignorant of modern chart music and you can tell me how great Taylor Swift is until you're blue in the face, I don't care.

The furthest away from my usual listening is probably Thea Gilmore, I latched onto one of her albums years ago and loved it, and I have most of her subsequent records but to be honest I've barely listened to them.

But hey, I love hair metal and my favourite band is the Scorpions.  Most of you probably think that should all be regarded as guilty pleasures.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I don't think anyone should be *guilty* about liking anything listed so far - it's all good music, even though some is a bit cheesy/square/un-rock'n'roll. But there's certainly nothing wrong with Duran Duran :).

I don't have "guilty pleasures" in that sense, but if I had to pick something I know is crap but I still love, it's Cascada ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860
    Gary Glitter
    Lost Prophets
    Michael Jackson 

…they’d all qualify 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    The Carpenters
    Boy Meets Girl
    Ah-ha
    Shaky
    Glen Campbell (massive fan!)
    King

I could go on...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Easy - 90's country. Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Travis Tritt etc. Just simple, fun songs that don't take themselves to seriously.

Love Taylor Swift as well, fingers crossed I can get some Eras tour tickets!
    Absolutely nothing wrong about any of that!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Sporky said:
    Biting down on a rag soaked in amyl nitrate whilst asphyxiating myself, listening to Adam Rickitts’ “I Breathe Again”. 

Or have I got this thread wrong? 
    We're not here to judge each other.
    Who logged in as me and posted this ridiculous hippy drivel?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Korean electronic music.
    I'm obsessed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited July 2023
    Duran Duran a guilty pleasure?!?
    In what world? One of the defining pop acts of the 80s with legendary tunes.

I'll play ... KC and the Sunshine Band - some killer tunes. Now that's a guilty pleasure.
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Kool and the Gang 
    Ian Dury
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 9764

Robbie Williams first two albums for me.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Just to add, I don't think people need to get hung up on the 'guilty pleasure' phrase, it's just one of those throwaway comments. We all like the stuff we are mentioning, we don't actually feel 'guilty' about liking them!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't think I have any guilty pleasures, but I still love almost everything from the Top 40 between 1976 and the early '80s, those were my "chart years".  

Same for me (well, I started probably 1977). I just love all that music. 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 889
    I was raised on Steeleye Span, and I still prefer them to Fairport Convention. Also one of my favourite albums is Sails of Silver, which makes me an outsider even among Steeleye fans!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202

This is why anonymity on the internet is a good thing.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Robbie Williams first two albums for me.

I agree. It's common knowledge that Escapology is his best album! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603

I agree. It's common knowledge that Escapology is his best album! ;)
    The Robbie big budget biopic Better Man out end of September this year. Exciting.

Not music I’d seek out but that Guy Chambers period stuff was certainly well put together. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Sporky said:

We're not here to judge each other.
    yes we are.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 9764

:)

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    Trude said:
    I was raised on Steeleye Span
    I've always had my doubts about home schooling, and this just confirms them.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    Glad to know I'm not the only Swifty fan on here ! Never paid much attention to her or her music until I watched the Folklore Documentary on Disney+ a couple of years ago. Has some great tunes and really is a great talent, even some of the early country stuff is quite addictive.  
    My current guilty pleasure is Maisie Peters new album "The Good Witch" . :3 Not sure if I'm having some kind of Mid Life crises or maybe just at that stage where you just take stuff at face value and like what you like. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    edited July 2023
    I really like early 00s pop. Really miss T4 and being younger and better looking ha!
  • Nick Copes podcast songs. My kids love them and they are annoyingly catchy….
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    I loved The Corrs first album and am still a fan of The Carpenters and Matt Monroe.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    equalsql said:
    I loved The Corrs first album and am still a fan of The Carpenters and Matt Monroe.
    Matt Monro did the best James Bond song ever, IMO.

The Corrs though.... I hope you're ashamed.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Matt Monro's "We're Gonna Change The World is possibly the most subversive piece of MOR pop ever.

I remembered a good tune as a young kid but when I heard it again almost 50 years on the lyrics astonished me.

It's worth a few minutes of anyone's listening time. 
  • ALRALR Frets: 75
    I really REALLY love Belinda Carlisle. I will fairly often stuck her on to lift my mood a bit, I went to see her live in Manchester back in Feb and it was a fantastic gig; she’s still got the voice and her love band were amazing (drummer incorporated the breakbeat before the second chorus of ‘Do you feel like I feel’ which I was particularly impressed with. I’m 43 now and she was big when I was a kid but I don’t think it’s nostalgia as such. Just love hearing a great voice singing well written songs.

It’s led me to discovering the Go-gos who were one seriously impressive band - watch some of their live performances on YouTube, especially the 2001 New York gig (outdoors, possibly Central Park). I’ve got a very big appreciation for Jane Wiedlin, I have three of her four solo albums. Her and Charlotte Caffey were a formidable songwriting force!
    My music blog:
    http://alrmusicblog.blogspot.com/ (updated Feb 2023)
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    Carl Douglas, Joboxers, Chas and Dave and the Worzels. Goombay Dance Band, FR David and Rene and Renato can do one though. :) 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited July 2023
    It's interesting to see so many Swifties on here! I totally ignored her music career, but I have started collecting the Taylor's Version re-recorded albums. She is a better singer now, and there are some top-notch musicians and producers on these new albums. The ones released so far are Fearless, Red & Speak Now.
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    ALR said:
    It’s led me to discovering the Go-gos who were one seriously impressive band - watch some of their live performances on YouTube, especially the 2001 New York gig (outdoors, possibly Central Park). I’ve got a very big appreciation for Jane Wiedlin, I have three of her four solo albums. Her and Charlotte Caffey were a formidable songwriting force!
    I've aways thought Vacation is a top tune!
    Carl Douglas, Joboxers, Chas and Dave and the Worzels. Goombay Dance Band, FR David and Rene and Renato can do one though. :) 
    I saw Chas & Dave playing a pub local to me a few years back - it can't have been that long before Chas passed away.  They were great - consummate professionals.  I've always liked them - no guilt attached!