Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What's your weirdest guilty pleasure in music? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What's your weirdest guilty pleasure in music?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
I had some spare time for internet faffery and headed over to iPlayer to dig out a bit of Glastonbury for background music. However, I didn't get as far as Glasto as I found my weird musical guilty pleasure - An hour long programme of Barry Manilow at the BBC! It was most enjoyable!

I've always been drawn to his stuff for some reason. He seems like such a nice, affable chap, rather quirky looking, and he's sold a shedload of records, around 85 million I believe. It warms my heart to hear him singing Copacabana, which was a favourite of my dear old mum. Always makes me think of her. 

I'm known as a fan of Prog, classic rock, old school metal etc, so most people are really surprised when I say that I'm a fan. He's recorded some lovely songs though - Mandy, Could it be magic, Looks like we made it, Can't smile without you, I made it through the rain, I write the songs ...

One thing that I thought was nice for him - he hid the fact that he was gay for most of his life as he thought it would disappoint his massive fanbase of women. It all came out when he finally married in 2014, even though he tried to keep it quiet, but the fans were supportive.

So yeah, that's my 'weird' one. Got anything?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited July 2023
    Duran Duran - bloody awesome. Listened to two DD albums today. 

Also Nik Kershaw. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 954
    Wham! loved the original Wham rap.. I am a sole boy..
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Guilty pleasures are banal rather than weird (Tom Waits and Joanna Newsom may be weird but hardly guilt inducing) and so:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift for me. 

They both take a lot of flack but write and perform great songs
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Dusty Springfield and Dolly Parton for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited July 2023
    Taylor Swift is phenomenal. ABBA wrote some of the best songs of all time. So did Dolly. Kylie is a legend. I'd rather listen to the Spice Girls than the Grateful Dead

But no guilt here - I'll die on each of these hills! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I'd rather listen to the Spice Girls than the Grateful Dead

I'd be concerned if anyone wouldn't!

I like cheesy chillstep. 

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 6860
    Biting down on a rag soaked in amyl nitrate whilst asphyxiating myself, listening to Adam Rickitts’ “I Breathe Again”. 

Or have I got this thread wrong? 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Biting down on a rag soaked in amyl nitrate whilst asphyxiating myself, listening to Adam Rickitts’ “I Breathe Again”. 

Or have I got this thread wrong? 
    We're not here to judge each other.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    Duran Duran for me too…..and Classic FM 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Possibly Phil Collins era Genesis. It has grown on me over the years, the Prog rock fans think the Gabriel era stuff was the biz, it's music that has never been cool and as someone with a vaguely punk ethic all Genesis is essentially verboten. So, it's definitely a guilty pleasure. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Possibly Phil Collins era Genesis. It has grown on me over the years, the Prog rock fans think the Gabriel era stuff was the biz, it's music that has never been cool and as someone with a vaguely punk ethic all Genesis is essentially verboten. So, it's definitely a guilty pleasure. 
    I have a strange relationship with that stuff. I still love early Genesis, and I don't own the albums after Steve Hackett left, but growing up I always liked it when Genesis (eg one of my bands) hit the charts. It felt that they were flying the flag even though I wasn't massively into the short songs. And still today, I can put on a Genesis live show from that period and enjoy listening to it.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Neil Sedaka for me
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    axisus said:
    I have a strange relationship with that stuff. I still love early Genesis, and I don't own the albums after Steve Hackett left, but growing up I always liked it when Genesis (eg one of my bands) hit the charts. It felt that they were flying the flag even though I wasn't massively into the short songs. And still today, I can put on a Genesis live show from that period and enjoy listening to it.
    Collins had his love of soul music (and hip hop - fascinating that Mama was directly influenced by Grandmaster Flash) and that filters through a bit in that period and in his early solo work. I can't really cope with full blown prog but pop played by prog musicians seems fine to me. 

Neil Sedaka for me
    When my main source of music was my sister’s record collection she had a Best Of Neil Sedaka and I loved a lot of that. Carole King was the other one. 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    edited July 2023
    A couple of great songs from on the radio when I was a child.
    (I do draw the line at "Bimbo", though.)

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Lionel Richie. Yeah I’ll  find the exit…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 889
    Natalie Imbruglia's second album is one of mine. 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Guilty pleasures are banal rather than weird (Tom Waits and Joanna Newsom may be weird but hardly guilt inducing) and so:

Surely it's weirder to NOT love Kylie?

Something very compelling about Charli XCX here, no idea what...

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Trude said:
    Natalie Imbruglia's second album is one of mine. 
    Great album… shit that’s two guilty pleasures. I’m done for! 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Neil Sedaka for me
    When my main source of music was my sister’s record collection she had a Best Of Neil Sedaka and I loved a lot of that. Carole King was the other one. 

Yes I like Carole King but I didn't think that was weird as she is still pretty well regarded and credible, whereas Neil Sedaka seems like one of those people who has always been a cheesy middle aged bloke playing camp music for squares. My mom used to play a tape in the car with him on one side and Crystal Gayle on the other so that's probably the only reason as it reminds me of that. 

I don't really like happy music normally do it's bizarre that I still like that, can only be the nostalgia thing
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    George Jones.  Buck Owens.  Bob Wills.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 445
    Easy - 90's country. Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Travis Tritt etc. Just simple, fun songs that don't take themselves to seriously.

Love Taylor Swift as well, fingers crossed I can get some Eras tour tickets!
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    @prowla ; I love Jim Reeves' voice also, and in particular "Welcome to my World".
    Your video links have been lost in your comment.  Jim Reeves - Welcome to my World.

The Seekers - Morningtown Ride (1966).  My Dad used to love The Seekers, so I grew up listening to them.

I also never tire of listening to Don Williams who made every song sound so laid back and effortless.  I think my favourite song by him is "It Must Be Love".

I still enjoy listening to some real old time gospel music occasionally.  My Mother used to listen to Mahalia Jackson when I was a kid and it brings back memories when I'm in the mood.  What a voice!  For guitar based old time gospel / delta style music I like The Staple Singers.  Listen to "Uncloudy Day" The Rossington-Collins Band did a good homage to this general style of music, albeit acapella, with "Pine Box".
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 405
    Annie Lennox - No More I Love You's 

It was an intrusive earworm for years until I learned to fully embrace it. I've slipped it into a few open mic sets, really splits the crowd :lol:  
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Taylor Swift, Lana del Ray
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    Marillion

Alanis Morissette

Queen 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    munckee said:
    Dusty Springfield and Dolly Parton for me. 
    Photos, or it never happened. 

There's loads of late 60s/early 70s pop that I love. The Tremeloes came up with some great stuff, and Chip Hawkes (father of Chesney) has a wonderful voice. Rick on guitar could let rip as well. 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    Henry Mancini.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Cryptid said:
    Annie Lennox - No More I Love You's 

It was an intrusive earworm for years until I learned to fully embrace it. I've slipped it into a few open mic sets, really splits the crowd :lol:  
    Only realised this was a cover version last month!

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    A few Aussie girls already mentioned, but my favourite was Tina Arena - the "Don't Ask" album was a cracker,with both Chains and Sorrento Moon.

I remember the guy who did the acoustic lesson in Guitarist mag transcribed a snippet (they'd given up doing whole songs by then, presumably for copyright reasons) which turned out to be the opening chords to Sorrento Moon, sort of Gmaj7 to A with a pushy driving strum pattern - surprisingly addictive to play!