Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What's your weirdest guilty pleasure in music? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What's your weirdest guilty pleasure in music?

What's Hot

Comments

• KDSKDS Frets: 211
    Offset said:
    Carl Douglas, Joboxers, Chas and Dave and the Worzels. Goombay Dance Band, FR David and Rene and Renato can do one though. :) 
    I saw Chas & Dave playing a pub local to me a few years back - it can't have been that long before Chas passed away.  They were great - consummate professionals.  I've always liked them - no guilt attached!
    CHas & Dave were great, seen them a few times
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    No-one should feel guilty about Belinda Carlisle. Unless you've stalked her. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    Sporky said:
    No-one should feel guilty about Belinda Carlisle. Unless you've stalked her. 
    Only on YouTube  B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    sev112 said:
    Kool and the Gang 
    Ian Dury
    Whaaaat? NOBODY needs to feel guilt about liking either of those. 

Mine is opera, mostly tenors singing Verdi….a liking inherited from my dad who loved blasting out Gigli stuff on a Sunday morning and singing along, even though he had no idea what the words meant. I still can’t listen to Nessun Dorma without getting a bit choked up though, we had it played at the old man’s funeral. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 445
    Vintage65 said:
    It's interesting to see so many Swifties on here! I totally ignored her music career, but I have started collecting the Taylor's Version re-recorded albums. She is a better singer now, and there are some top-notch musicians and producers on these new albums. The ones released so far are Fearless, Red & Speak Now.
    I really like Red although didn't notice as much as a difference between the original vs TV compared to the other TVs All of the vault tracks make the thing a bit long though. I can't really see where the original album ends and the bonus stuff starts. Speak Now is great too. Really solid.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    I feel a bit guilty about still occasionally listening to Ryan Adams. His track by track 1989 is pretty good and the closest I've ever got to being a Swiftie if that's what they're called. I understand she's good, she's just not for me.
    Neil Diamond shouldn't be a guilty pleasure, but if he is then I am guilty of it, same goes for Glen Campbell.
    I love the first Soft Cell album, that doesn't fit with my current tastes. Whenever Here I Go Again comes on the radio or tv soundtrack it takes me way back to one of my first jobs.
    There are no guilty pleasures in music for me. If I like it then I like it, It crosses genres.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 549
    edited July 2023
    (3) The Seekers The Water Is Wide 1964 - YouTube

Probably as much about 'the times' as much as the song for me. 

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    BillDL said:

The Seekers - Morningtown Ride (1966).  My Dad used to love The Seekers, so I grew up listening to them.

That song SOOOOO takes me back to my childhood - my Mum loved both it and the Seekers in general.

It's going to get a spin tonight :-)
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    A good song is a good song, doesn't matter who it is. I love Turn it on Again by Genesis, so there! 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Although I said I don't really believe in musical "guilty pleasures", there are lots of  things other people have mentioned on this thread which I'd be embarrassed to admit listening to. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    A good song is a good song, doesn't matter who it is. I love Turn it on Again by Genesis, so there! 
    Whoever logged in as me and said "we're not here to judge" couldn't have predicted this. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6075
    I’m not a fan of the band, but I suppose my embarrassing musical confession is that What Do I Do Now? by Sleeper almost reduces me to tears whenever I hear it.

• TrudeTrude Frets: 889
    I’m not a fan of the band, but I suppose my embarrassing musical confession is that What Do I Do Now? by Sleeper almost reduces me to tears whenever I hear it.
    I love that one too. 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 290
    - Crooners. Especially Sinatra and Nat King Cole. Michael Buble's Christmas album marks the start of festive celebrations at Richman Towers each year.

- Early Billy Joel.

- Johnny Cash.

- Jazz from the likes of Art Pepper, Miles Davis and Matthew Halsall.

- Classical/opera masterpieces like Britten's Noye's Fludde.

- Talk Talk. 80s guitar-synth wonderfulness.

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited July 2023
    I've always thought that this was a great song, but I would never admit to liking the band. In hindsight, they were synthpop pioneers on the cutting edge of a new genre, had awesome synth sounds, and their lyrics were very prophetic! They just weren't very cool and disappeared before the synthpop revolution took hold.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    I dig a bit of medieval type shit, you know, with harpsichords and stuff. Think 1970’s/80’s television ‘For schools and colleges’ interval filler type sounds are you’re there.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    My wife still reminds me occasionally of my enthusiasm when I saw Bucks Fizz on a TotP repeat doing Land of Make Believe. I loved it when it came out, and although I wouldn't put it in a playlist these days will watch the video, if it's on, and revert to the lecherous 13 year old I was when it was first released. Not having been a teenaged boy, my wife maybe doesn't understand that it's not always about the music. :D 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    Trude said:
    I was raised on Steeleye Span, and I still prefer them to Fairport Convention. Also one of my favourite albums is Sails of Silver, which makes me an outsider even among Steeleye fans!
    I always think “all around my hat “ is a forgotten Xmas song I associate it with Xmas as it was on the pub jukebox when I was little . Also “on horseback “ by Mike oldfield B side of in Dulce jubillo which got loads of play on the juke box  with its chorus of “hey & away we go through the grass cross the snow 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It really is , & also follow you & me , they have the right mix of nostalgia & a great hook that draws you in 
    Vintage65 said:
    I've always thought that this was a great song, but I would never admit to liking the band. In hindsight, they were synthpop pioneers on the cutting edge of a new genre, had awesome synth sounds, and their lyrics were very prophetic! They just weren't very cool and disappeared before the synthpop revolution took hold.

I remember this & it being quite popular as well as world of water 
    Pjon said:
    My wife still reminds me occasionally of my enthusiasm when I saw Bucks Fizz on a TotP repeat doing Land of Make Believe. I loved it when it came out, and although I wouldn't put it in a playlist these days will watch the video, if it's on, and revert to the lecherous 13 year old I was when it was first released. Not having been a teenaged boy, my wife maybe doesn't understand that it's not always about the music. :D 
    It really is brilliant , another forgotten Xmas record which should be on Xmas compilations for sure 
    oooh Cheryl baker in that dress
  • Taylor Swift, Steely Dan, Billy Joel, ‘80s chart hits. Erotic stuff like that. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Vintage65 said:

Crikey, I'd forgotten all about them!  They were one of the first (and in retrospect most unlikely) bands I ever saw playing BC Rich guitars:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Current rotation on my Apple Music library, Christopher Cross and Mcfly.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    It really is , & also follow you & me , they have the right mix of nostalgia & a great hook that draws you in 
    Now you are talking! I love Follow you, follow me, such a lovely song, definitely a nostalgic happy one for me.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Talking of video songs, this is a definite guilty pleasure of mind - S club 7 Never had a dream come true. It's a lovely song and I just love the colour tones of the video. They were the first band that any of my kids liked. RIP Paul.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Pjon said:
    Weirdly, cowritten by Peter Sinfield, the lyric writer for King Crimson’s first few albums. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:
    Vintage65 said:

Crikey, I'd forgotten all about them!  They were one of the first (and in retrospect most unlikely) bands I ever saw playing BC Rich guitars:

Wow he even looks like Trevor horn in this , very buggles esque 
    axisus said:
    Now you are talking! I love Follow you, follow me, such a lovely song, definitely a nostalgic happy one for me.
    Wonderous stories by Yes fits well with follow you follow me , & other 77 78 ish songs from Kate bush  
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    Actually reading this thread with all the music that you chaps listen to (a lot of which I share), I feel it in a strange way I'm getting know you all better if that makes sense

Late 70's Cliff Richard (Carrie, Devil Woman)
    The Shadows
    Folk era Jethro Tull (songs from the wood, heavy horses)
    Christopher Cross (Minstrel Gigolo)
    Daryl Hall and John Oates
    England Dan and John Ford Coley
    Toto (Bobby Kimball's vocals were unbelievable)